Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-09-12 14:02:09

J92R
Post 4/15

Re: Pokemon Unova Red - Completed ROM Hack

Just a heads up, the final patch is broken and generates an unplayable patched rom.

#27 2018-09-12 15:18:51

Azure_Keys
Post 17/24

Could you please let me know where the crashing is happening? Is it immediate on trying to run the rom, or somewhere later? Thanks.

#28 2018-09-12 23:12:45

J92R
Post 5/15

Azure_Keys wrote:

Could you please let me know where the crashing is happening? Is it immediate on trying to run the rom, or somewhere later? Thanks.

Immediately, it crashes before I even get to see the title screen.

Do you perhaps have a working rom, cause I've patched this multiple times on multiple clean Pokemom Red rom variations and all of them, including the disassembly version crash before the title screen even pops up. Just goes to a black screen and then crashes.

#29 2018-09-13 00:28:52

Azure_Keys
Post 18/24

Okay, so I'm not sure what the problem was, but I've now rebuilt the ROM, re-created the patch, and added this new patch to the zip file. I then downloaded it, applied it to a clean Red ROM, and ensured it works. So hopefully this was just some bizarre issue with the patch that is now resolved. Please let me know if the newly added patch is still failing to run. Thanks!

#30 2018-09-13 13:34:18

J92R
Post 7/15

Azure_Keys wrote:

Okay, so I'm not sure what the problem was, but I've now rebuilt the ROM, re-created the patch, and added this new patch to the zip file. I then downloaded it, applied it to a clean Red ROM, and ensured it works. So hopefully this was just some bizarre issue with the patch that is now resolved. Please let me know if the newly added patch is still failing to run. Thanks!

You fixed it, game is fully operational now.

Even tested to see if I could access all areas and not get a crash and it runs perfectly.

#31 2018-09-18 01:43:47

Azure_Keys
Post 20/24

The first completed version of Challenge Mode for Unova Red is finished. The new features have been fully playtested, though I haven't run through the entire increased level curve in the interest of releasing the patch in a timely manner. Here is the link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/p5bhhi2jz … llenge.zip
The main post has been updated as well with the details of the patch. Please let me know if the level curve is too steep, not steep enough, etc. Feedback is always appreciated. Thanks.

#32 2018-09-19 23:16:20

ablahblah987
Post 33/34

I just played the challenge mode with a different team. To be totally honest, it's still a joke. It might even be easier than before. I appreciate the effort, but this didn't feel very different.

#33 2018-09-28 22:30:20

Azure_Keys
Post 21/24

I'm sorry you feel that way. I guess my limited knowledge of assembly isn't quite enough to add a serious difficulty curve to Pokered's framework. If you're looking for a challenge, perhaps try some variant of Nuzlocke, or other self-imposed ruleset. Regardless, thanks for taking the time to try it out!

Also, minor update, I made a fix that I'd recently become aware of in challenge mode where Brock displays the wrong text when he's beaten. Nothing game-breaking, but there is now a new version of the patch in the download link that fixes it.  It is fine to use with saves from the previous patch.

#34 2018-09-28 22:58:18

J92R
Post 15/15

Personally, I feel this is a solid hack, nothing too fancy or over the top, just something clean and spruces up the original idea a bit. Thanks for making it Azure, you did a fine job, and I do hope to see the next version of this idea... perhaps, let's say... Kalos or Hoenn next? Pretty much every Pokemon up to Gen 7 have already been demade into GB sprites.

#35 2018-09-29 02:14:50

Azure_Keys
Post 22/24

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it! I'm currently working on another project similar to this one, now that challenge mode is finished, I should be able to get the new project out within the next couple of months.

#36 2018-09-30 17:46:26

glodfinch
Post 9/11

I spent some time playing this today, I'm enjoying it so far. Though I do feel it's a little rough around the edges. I noticed some minor graphical glitches in a few places, and there's some little things like the occasional typo in the Pokedex. And I don't know if it's intentional or not, but I was able to get into Saffron immediately after beating Misty. Not sure if I was carrying the water from somewhere (I don't remember picking it up) or if they just let me through regardless. Looking now - I think they took my town map!

I went straight for the challenge mode rom and I don't think it's too easy, though I'm not really a hardcore player or anything. It definitely feels harder than how I remember the original Red and Blue. I haven't done any grinding and most battles are a fair challenge.

Anyway, for whatever reason I've never actually played a gen 5 game, so it's fun for me to see a lot of these Pokemon I've never seen or used before. Thanks for your efforts, I'm looking forward to trying your next hack.

#37 2018-10-01 11:48:10

Azure_Keys
Post 23/24

Hm, that's definitely not supposed to happen. I'll see if I can figure out what's happening there. Perhaps some strange side effect of changing the Fresh Water item to not be usable in battle. Glad you've enjoyed it though, thanks!

#38 2018-10-01 22:43:34

ablahblah987
Post 34/34

Azure_Keys wrote:

I'm sorry you feel that way. I guess my limited knowledge of assembly isn't quite enough to add a serious difficulty curve to Pokered's framework. If you're looking for a challenge, perhaps try some variant of Nuzlocke, or other self-imposed ruleset. Regardless, thanks for taking the time to try it out!

Also, minor update, I made a fix that I'd recently become aware of in challenge mode where Brock displays the wrong text when he's beaten. Nothing game-breaking, but there is now a new version of the patch in the download link that fixes it.  It is fine to use with saves from the previous patch.

No worries. Thanks again for making this. I look forward to your next project.

Board footer