Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-12 19:24:57

Azure_Keys
Member
Registered: 2017-10-05
Post 6/24

Pokemon Unova Red - Completed ROM Hack

Hack of Pokemon Red Version (using the Pokered disassembly).

Unova Red is a re-imagining of Generation 1, but using the Pokedex from Generation 5. This is because the Unova Pokedex was designed to stand alone without any Pokemon from additional regions, much like the original Pokedex. The plot is effectively identical to the Generation 1 games, the only major change is in the Pokemon available. There is also a challenge mode patch which provides a more difficult version of the same hack.

Features:
-All 156 Generation 5 Pokemon exist in this game.
-Trade evolutions and friendly evolutions have been changed to either regular level up evolutions, or a certain item. All stone evolutions use stones available in Gen 1.
-Due to the shorter length of a Kanto playthrough compared to a Unova playthrough, some Pokemon have had their evolution levels decreased to fit better within the Gen 1 games.
-The Dark and Steel types have been added. The type matchup chart has been updated to its usage in Gen 5.
-Attacks still determine physical or special damage based on type, though Ghost has been changed to special, and Dark has been changed to Physical.
-New moves have been added, either to add move coverage to Dark and Steel, flesh out certain underrepresented types, or serve as signature moves for certain Pokemon. An equivalent amount of Gen 1 moves have been removed from the game, either signature moves of Gen 1 Pokemon, or moves that did not fit well with the Gen 5 Pokedex.
-A few TMs have been changed. However, as in Gen 1, TMs are still one-time use, and the good ones are quite valuable.
-Moves have, in general, been updated to match their stats from Gen 5, including base power, PP, accuracy, and side effects. Gust, Karate Chop, Bite, and Sand-Attack are no longer Normal type. Also, Focus Energy has been fixed and now works properly.
-Notably, the hack attempts to maintain the 'feel' of a Gen 1 game. This includes Pokemon learning pretty few STAB moves overall, and TMs being at a premium. Most other wonky attributes of Gen 1 have been kept in place, including type effectiveness sometimes not displaying properly (though it is always calculated properly).
-There have been a few adjustments to certain locations to accommodate for the large amount of legendary Pokemon in Gen 5. For example, Cerulean Cave / Unknown Dungeon is no longer an end-game area, and there is no longer a guard blocking it. Keep an eye out for changes!

Challenge Mode Features:
-All trainers have higher levels than usual, along a steady curve.
-A few new trainers have been added to the early game.
-Battle Style is always on SET, regardless of options.
-HP restoring items (Potion, Super Potion, Hyper Potion, Max Potion, Fresh Water, Soda Pop, Lemonade) and Revives cannot be used in battle. Max Revives can still be used in battle due to their inability to be purchased. Full Restores can also be used in battle, though they can no longer be purchased. Status and PP restoring items can also be used in battle.

Credits:
Obvious credits go to iiMarckus and everyone responsible for working on the Pokered disassembly. Additional thanks to Mateo, Crystal, Rangi, and Danny-E33, whose code and advice helped a good bit with coding this hack, even through replying to others' questions. Also, credits to the anons on Reddit and 4chan for the creation of the rather infamous sprite art used in this hack. I wasn't able to find any real credits or names attached to this, so hopefully this doesn't get anyone upset.

Download Link:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/51rakcep2 … va+Red.zip - Normal Game
http://www.mediafire.com/file/p5bhhi2jz … llenge.zip - Challenge Mode
Link comes with the .ips patch for Unova Red (patches the base Red Version ROM that Pokered builds), a readme with much of the same points as above, and some spoiler logs where you can get information on learnsets, evolution methods and levels, individual Pokemon locations, as well as wild Pokemon percentage per location.

This ROM hack is effectively complete. All of its intended features have been accounted for, so there will likely not be any major updates incoming unless there is some game breaking bug that I'd somehow missed. Any suggestions for anything that needs tweaking or cleaning up is appreciated. Have fun!

Last edited by Azure_Keys (2018-09-18 01:39:57)

Offline

#2 2018-08-14 12:23:34

lordhardware
New member
Registered: 2018-07-29
Post 5/5

Re: Pokemon Unova Red - Completed ROM Hack

This is really cool.

Black and White were the first pokemon games i finished since gen 2, i loved that they stuck to the concept and created a new, concise, self contained setting.

I found it exhilerating to be catching and battling pokemon id never seen before, with type advantages/disadvantages that i wasnt aware of.

I wish they had done it again with X and Y, i found gen 6 so boring :(

Props to you for the changes, very cool

Offline

#3 2018-08-14 19:09:48

ablahblah987
Member
Registered: 2013-06-24
Post 31/34

Re: Pokemon Unova Red - Completed ROM Hack

I think this has a fun concept and I appreciate the time that went into it. I just wish it was harder honestly - I beat it in maybe three hours with no grinding.

Offline

#4 2018-08-15 01:41:47

Azure_Keys
Member
Registered: 2017-10-05
Post 7/24

Re: Pokemon Unova Red - Completed ROM Hack

Glad to hear people like it. Adjusting for difficulty wasn't really something I'd considered, the levels of enemy trainers are equivalent to what they were in vanilla Red, but that is a good idea for something to try. I may start working on a sort of "challenge mode" version like B2/W2 had, with higher levels or other changes to make things harder.

Offline

#5 2018-08-15 18:10:17

Ziko
Member
Registered: 2016-09-04
Post 23/35

Re: Pokemon Unova Red - Completed ROM Hack

Azure_Keys wrote:

Glad to hear people like it. Adjusting for difficulty wasn't really something I'd considered, the levels of enemy trainers are equivalent to what they were in vanilla Red, but that is a good idea for something to try. I may start working on a sort of "challenge mode" version like B2/W2 had, with higher levels or other changes to make things harder.

That would be a great idea as I just got to the Nugget Bridge last night. The game is a little easy but that's fine as well. I wish you included the quality of life changes but they're not really necessary to this game as the Pokemon already suffice.

Offline

#6 2018-08-19 21:26:42

Ziko
Member
Registered: 2016-09-04
Post 24/35

Re: Pokemon Unova Red - Completed ROM Hack

How do you get Karrablast & Shelmet's evolutions? I'm close to completing the dex (only need 15 more Pokemon) but given they can't be traded, what stone is used to obtain them? It also seems likely that I cannot catch the starters or Throh & Sawk as those are chosen and the readme has no locations outside of them. I may just gameshark those buggers in. That's how committed I am to this hack as I loved Gen 5 despite it being kinda boring at times.

Last edited by Ziko (2018-08-19 21:46:38)

Offline

#7 2018-08-20 00:19:20

Azure_Keys
Member
Registered: 2017-10-05
Post 8/24

Re: Pokemon Unova Red - Completed ROM Hack

It's an item called Snail Shell (was originally called Bug Stone, but I thought it sounded too generic). You can buy them in Cinnabar Mart, and I believe there is one in Safari Zone.

I originally had them purchasable at the Dept store with the other Evo stones, but I thought it was too early since you get there before even encountering Karrablast/Shelmet, so I moved it to Cinnabar. I'll keep in mind to make that more obvious when I add the next update.

And yeah, Throh/Sawk, the other fossil, and the other starters aren't currently obtainable. Might add them somewhere else too in the future.

Thanks for the support by the way. Gen 5 was my favorite generation personally, I liked the feel of a region with an entire new Pokedex.

Offline

#8 2018-08-20 06:30:49

Ziko
Member
Registered: 2016-09-04
Post 25/35

Re: Pokemon Unova Red - Completed ROM Hack

Azure_Keys wrote:

It's an item called Snail Shell (was originally called Bug Stone, but I thought it sounded too generic). You can buy them in Cinnabar Mart, and I believe there is one in Safari Zone.

I originally had them purchasable at the Dept store with the other Evo stones, but I thought it was too early since you get there before even encountering Karrablast/Shelmet, so I moved it to Cinnabar. I'll keep in mind to make that more obvious when I add the next update.

And yeah, Throh/Sawk, the other fossil, and the other starters aren't currently obtainable. Might add them somewhere else too in the future.

Thanks for the support by the way. Gen 5 was my favorite generation personally, I liked the feel of a region with an entire new Pokedex.

No problem. I wish that more people gave Black & White a chance and playing this reminded me years ago why I bought a DS in the first place. The games may have felt like an island in a large ocean but the region and its inhabitants were interesting compared to earlier installments and the Pokemon even more so. I'll complete this someday when you do add the other Pokemon so I guess I'll just save in Cerulean City and tackle the cave when I can later on. I really want to play Rangi's Red & Blue Star hack but I either have to figure out how to do the github thing or someone can do it for me with a patch to increase shiny odds as that's a thing now. I just couldn't get into it before but I want to try again.

Last edited by Ziko (2018-08-27 18:02:08)

Offline

#9 2018-08-30 11:38:57

Azure_Keys
Member
Registered: 2017-10-05
Post 9/24

Re: Pokemon Unova Red - Completed ROM Hack

Okay, I've got updates planned out for the base game to add in the currently unobtainable Pokemon. I'll be working on the challenge mode variant after all mons are available. I'm currently trying to think of ways to increase the difficulty aside from just increasing enemy levels.

Offline

#10 2018-08-30 18:08:11

Ziko
Member
Registered: 2016-09-04
Post 27/35

Re: Pokemon Unova Red - Completed ROM Hack

Sweet! I hope I can finish this soon. I'm struggling to find other things to do beside this game. I have a minor backlog of a few GBA games plus other things but it's manageable now.

Offline

#11 2018-08-31 02:38:19

Azure_Keys
Member
Registered: 2017-10-05
Post 10/24

Re: Pokemon Unova Red - Completed ROM Hack

Ok, finished programming in Sawk/Throh and the second fossil. I've got an idea for one of the two extra starters, haven't decided on the last one yet. Hoping to ensure the new version will work with save files from the previous one, but there may be issues with the hide/show object variables for the new stuff not being set properly in an older save file. Hoping to come up with a way to ensure a nearly-completed file won't go to waste.

Offline

#12 2018-08-31 03:18:58

Mateo
Member
From: The Sims 4
Registered: 2009-11-25
Post 3,565/3,578

Re: Pokemon Unova Red - Completed ROM Hack

you could mimic the way yellow gave the other starters if you're short on ideas. That way people would already think to look for them there.

Offline

#13 2018-08-31 17:54:22

Ziko
Member
Registered: 2016-09-04
Post 28/35

Re: Pokemon Unova Red - Completed ROM Hack

Mateo wrote:

you could mimic the way yellow gave the other starters if you're short on ideas. That way people would already think to look for them there.

That's an excellent idea right there! All you had to do in that game was to talk to an NPC to get those Pokemon.

Offline

#14 2018-09-01 01:21:14

Azure_Keys
Member
Registered: 2017-10-05
Post 11/24

Re: Pokemon Unova Red - Completed ROM Hack

Yeah, that's a good idea. I'll use that for the second starter, then have the third be a little later on. Hopefully I can get this out soon! Unfortunately, I don't think the older save files will work well with having new objects and variables added in.

Offline

#15 2018-09-01 02:47:40

Ziko
Member
Registered: 2016-09-04
Post 29/35

Re: Pokemon Unova Red - Completed ROM Hack

Azure_Keys wrote:

Yeah, that's a good idea. I'll use that for the second starter, then have the third be a little later on. Hopefully I can get this out soon! Unfortunately, I don't think the older save files will work well with having new objects and variables added in.

Will it work for a save past the League (i.e. Hall of Fame)? I beat the game and saved in Cerulean after I got back to Pallet Town. I did that so when you updated, hopefully I can tackle the cave and get Reshiram and get these other pokemon.

Offline

#16 2018-09-02 00:24:34

Azure_Keys
Member
Registered: 2017-10-05
Post 12/24

Re: Pokemon Unova Red - Completed ROM Hack

The trouble would be that, if I added a new object to, say, Vermilion City, it would push the values of every object after that up by one. But since the old save file still thinks the objects have the old values, it would do some glitchy stuff when interacting with things.

I think what I might do is make a temporary version where my planned third starter giver will give both of the other two. This is going to be an NPC that was already there before, so no new object would be added. This would allow you to get both starters using the same save file without having all that go to waste. Of course, in the final version, there would be seperate NPCs for the other two starters, but this temporary version would allow you to complete the Pokedex on the existing file.

Oh btw, I probably should have mentioned it more explicitly in the readme, but the Cerulean Cave is no longer a postgame only area. The guard is no longer there, so you can enter as soon as you get Surf. The Pokemon there are at around the same levels as the Seafoam Islands Pokemon too. This was so that Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem would all be available at basically the same time.

Offline

#17 2018-09-02 15:25:46

ablahblah987
Member
Registered: 2013-06-24
Post 32/34

Re: Pokemon Unova Red - Completed ROM Hack

Ways to make the game harder:
- level scaling
- forced set mode
- no items in battle
- no stat exp?
- gym doors lock until leader is defeated
- unavoidable trainers
- raise ai levels for all trainers

Offline

#18 2018-09-02 17:27:28

Ziko
Member
Registered: 2016-09-04
Post 30/35

Re: Pokemon Unova Red - Completed ROM Hack

Azure_Keys wrote:

The trouble would be that, if I added a new object to, say, Vermilion City, it would push the values of every object after that up by one. But since the old save file still thinks the objects have the old values, it would do some glitchy stuff when interacting with things.

I think what I might do is make a temporary version where my planned third starter giver will give both of the other two. This is going to be an NPC that was already there before, so no new object would be added. This would allow you to get both starters using the same save file without having all that go to waste. Of course, in the final version, there would be seperate NPCs for the other two starters, but this temporary version would allow you to complete the Pokedex on the existing file.

Oh btw, I probably should have mentioned it more explicitly in the readme, but the Cerulean Cave is no longer a postgame only area. The guard is no longer there, so you can enter as soon as you get Surf. The Pokemon there are at around the same levels as the Seafoam Islands Pokemon too. This was so that Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem would all be available at basically the same time.

I think the former idea would be best even if it's a temporary solution. I'm not missing that many pokemon so I can basically finish the game. I guess the final version would require a new save so for me completing the game would be done for the next patch and the final should be the challenge mode stuff plus the new NPC with the starter. I may give it another go after you add the challenge mode.

Offline

#19 2018-09-02 18:36:41

Azure_Keys
Member
Registered: 2017-10-05
Post 13/24

Re: Pokemon Unova Red - Completed ROM Hack

Okay, here's the patch for the not-quite-final update that will work with the older save file: http://www.mediafire.com/file/jgh3bz178 … o.ips/file

This version adds all Pokemon as obtainable. Spoilers below for how to get the new stuff:

Sawk and Throh are now both obtainable in the wild in Route 23, just outside Victory Road. So while they are freely available, it is not until late game, and there is still the one you can choose from the fighting dojo to get one much earlier than that.

The other two starters are now given by the Silph Co. guy who normally gives Lapras. Previously I had him give a Cryogonal since I wasn't sure what to do with him. Now, Cryogonal are only obtainable in Seafoam Islands. In the final version, he will only give the final starter (that your rival got) and the second starter will be given by an NPC in Vermilion City like in Yellow Version, but for this patch, he will give both. He will still give them even if you already got the Cryogonal before.

The second fossil is now in Victory Road, in the spot where Moltres normally is. This spot was previously empty. It will be whichever one you didn't get in Mt. Moon. Also, since it was set to be not there in the old save, I made it such that talking to the Lapras guy makes the fossil re-appear, so you'll want to talk to him first.

This should allow you to complete the Pokedex using your current save. Let me know if anything weird happens.

Offline

#20 2018-09-02 23:28:33

Ziko
Member
Registered: 2016-09-04
Post 31/35

Re: Pokemon Unova Red - Completed ROM Hack

Azure_Keys wrote:

Okay, here's the patch for the not-quite-final update that will work with the older save file: http://www.mediafire.com/file/jgh3bz178 … o.ips/file

This version adds all Pokemon as obtainable. Spoilers below for how to get the new stuff:

Sawk and Throh are now both obtainable in the wild in Route 23, just outside Victory Road. So while they are freely available, it is not until late game, and there is still the one you can choose from the fighting dojo to get one much earlier than that.

The other two starters are now given by the Silph Co. guy who normally gives Lapras. Previously I had him give a Cryogonal since I wasn't sure what to do with him. Now, Cryogonal are only obtainable in Seafoam Islands. In the final version, he will only give the final starter (that your rival got) and the second starter will be given by an NPC in Vermilion City like in Yellow Version, but for this patch, he will give both. He will still give them even if you already got the Cryogonal before.

The second fossil is now in Victory Road, in the spot where Moltres normally is. This spot was previously empty. It will be whichever one you didn't get in Mt. Moon. Also, since it was set to be not there in the old save, I made it such that talking to the Lapras guy makes the fossil re-appear, so you'll want to talk to him first.

This should allow you to complete the Pokedex using your current save. Let me know if anything weird happens.

Thanks for this! I finished it completely now. You can go ahead and do the final patch now. I'll probably go through the game again using the hard mode patch.

Offline

#21 2018-09-03 04:27:33

Azure_Keys
Member
Registered: 2017-10-05
Post 14/24

Re: Pokemon Unova Red - Completed ROM Hack

Great, glad it worked. Next release will be the final patch, then the challenge mode variant using some of the suggestions from above.

Offline

#22 2018-09-09 01:44:48

Azure_Keys
Member
Registered: 2017-10-05
Post 15/24

Re: Pokemon Unova Red - Completed ROM Hack

Sorry for the delay, the final version patch has been added. The download link is the same, the new patch replaces the old one in the zip file. The documentation has been updated as well. All Pokemon are now obtainable within the game. Next up, I'll be adding the hard-mode version. I've also got another project I've been working on in the meantime, more info on that will be shared in the future. Please let me know if anything is wrong with the patch, I've done a good bit of test and debug, but it's always possible I've missed something. Hope you all enjoy!

Offline

#23 2018-09-10 06:06:32

Ziko
Member
Registered: 2016-09-04
Post 32/35

Re: Pokemon Unova Red - Completed ROM Hack

Azure_Keys wrote:

Sorry for the delay, the final version patch has been added. The download link is the same, the new patch replaces the old one in the zip file. The documentation has been updated as well. All Pokemon are now obtainable within the game. Next up, I'll be adding the hard-mode version. I've also got another project I've been working on in the meantime, more info on that will be shared in the future. Please let me know if anything is wrong with the patch, I've done a good bit of test and debug, but it's always possible I've missed something. Hope you all enjoy!

Is this other project another hack like this or something else entirely?

Offline

#24 2018-09-10 16:03:59

Azure_Keys
Member
Registered: 2017-10-05
Post 16/24

Re: Pokemon Unova Red - Completed ROM Hack

It's another ROM hack. I'll make a new thread for it once it's in a mostly completed state.

Offline

#25 2018-09-10 18:50:59

Ziko
Member
Registered: 2016-09-04
Post 33/35

Re: Pokemon Unova Red - Completed ROM Hack

That's cool. I'll let you alone for a bit then. :)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB