Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-15 23:55:20

Maniac379
Member
Registered: 2015-01-15
Post 77/121

[pokecrystal] Editing TMs

Has anyone created any simply way to edit TMs in pokecrystal?  For instance if I wanted to remove a tm like sleep talk I would have to open almost all 251 pokemon base stats file.  Or more likely if I want to add a move  like substitute as a TM, I'd have to again open all 251 pokemon base stats file.  A python script has been suggested but I was wondering if anyone else has already solved this.

Actually why even are the base stats information serparated into individual asm files.  If it was one whole file it would be easier to work with.

Last edited by Maniac379 (2017-05-16 04:05:37)


---
Pokémon White Crystal
A simple quality of life and gameplay improved hack

Offline

#2 2017-05-16 07:48:08

Adam
Member
Registered: 2016-05-07
Post 75/93

Re: [pokecrystal] Editing TMs

I assume you mean editing TM compatibility after you change the TM move?

I´ve found that the Pokemon editor that Wargrave made makes it a lot faster to update the TM compatibility.  You still have to do manually, but it´s definitely a lot easier and faster than any alternative that I´ve found.

Offline

#3 2017-05-16 13:03:47

Maniac379
Member
Registered: 2015-01-15
Post 79/121

Re: [pokecrystal] Editing TMs

You are right that makes it easier, but if you are editing in Pokecrystal you can't use those programs.  It's the only flaw I've found specifically when editing TMs in Pokecrystal.  Honestly if the base stats file was one large file it would be fine...


---
Pokémon White Crystal
A simple quality of life and gameplay improved hack

Offline

#4 2017-05-16 13:07:04

Rangi
Member
Registered: 2016-05-09
Post 676/870

Re: [pokecrystal] Editing TMs

Maniac379 wrote:

You are right that makes it easier, but if you are editing in Pokecrystal you can't use those programs.  It's the only flaw I've found specifically when editing TMs in Pokecrystal.  Honestly if the base stats file was one large file it would be fine...

See how data/base_stats.asm just INCLUDEs all of the base stat files in order anyway? So use the "cat" program that came with Cygwin to concatenate them all into one large file, and put that instead of a bunch of INCLUDEs. Then you can more easily do search+replace in your text editor.


Pokémon Polished Crystal (GitHub) — version 2.2.0 released
Pokémon Red★ and Blue★: Space World Edition (GitHub) — updated August 19!
Polished Map: pokered+pokecrystal map, tileset, and palette editor — version 3.5.1 released!

Offline

#5 2017-05-16 13:28:22

Mateo
Member
From: The Sims 4
Registered: 2009-11-25
Post 3,472/3,578

Re: [pokecrystal] Editing TMs

Can also open them all at once in notepad++ and do "find+replace in all" if you're just changing a TM.

Online

#6 2017-05-16 22:27:09

Maniac379
Member
Registered: 2015-01-15
Post 81/121

Re: [pokecrystal] Editing TMs

Mateo wrote:

Can also open them all at once in notepad++ and do "find+replace in all" if you're just changing a TM.

While this is indeed true and helpful in a lot of cases, it doesn't really cover when I want to add a TM that is completely different than one I am removing.

Rangi wrote:
Maniac379 wrote:

You are right that makes it easier, but if you are editing in Pokecrystal you can't use those programs.  It's the only flaw I've found specifically when editing TMs in Pokecrystal.  Honestly if the base stats file was one large file it would be fine...

See how data/base_stats.asm just INCLUDEs all of the base stat files in order anyway? So use the "cat" program that came with Cygwin to concatenate them all into one large file, and put that instead of a bunch of INCLUDEs. Then you can more easily do search+replace in your text editor.

I believe I have successfully done just this! (https://github.com/maniac379/White-Crys … 4cde55b692)  I noticed the base_stats.asm file was left into 2 "banks"? with only bulbasaur in the first one.  The two were called in 4 files, differently each time.  Rather than figure out that part I just left bulbasaur out on his own...2 files is waaaaay better than 251.  This should make editing much more manageable, thanks!


---
Pokémon White Crystal
A simple quality of life and gameplay improved hack

Offline

#7 2017-05-17 03:38:10

Rangi
Member
Registered: 2016-05-09
Post 678/870

Re: [pokecrystal] Editing TMs

Maniac379 wrote:

I believe I have successfully done just this! (https://github.com/maniac379/White-Crys … 4cde55b692)  I noticed the base_stats.asm file was left into 2 "banks"? with only bulbasaur in the first one.  The two were called in 4 files, differently each time.  Rather than figure out that part I just left bulbasaur out on his own...2 files is waaaaay better than 251.  This should make editing much more manageable, thanks!

Nice!

Bulbasaur is not in a different bank. Banks are 16KB chunks of memory; there are $80 of them. You need a SECTION statement to change the current bank.

Bulbasaur is isolated from the rest so that BaseData0 points to just before it and BaseData1 to just after. Then The calculation BaseData1 − BaseData0 tells you how large a base data entry is, and the game uses that quantity to find particular entries in the list. (Compare that with the technique of having a list of pointers to the data, which is useful when each entry may be a different size.) So, no need to keep Bulbasaur in its own file.


Pokémon Polished Crystal (GitHub) — version 2.2.0 released
Pokémon Red★ and Blue★: Space World Edition (GitHub) — updated August 19!
Polished Map: pokered+pokecrystal map, tileset, and palette editor — version 3.5.1 released!

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB