You are not logged in.
I was looking at the disassembly for Polished Crystal, the engine > items.asm file and tried to emulate changes to make my own berry bag pocket. It seemed simple enough but it doesn't work. Not sure why, if there's another file that needs editing?
I figured out how to make a branch and put comments on my commits.
(Also curious on running shoes and physical/special split asm)
Note that I don't usually get everything working in one commit. For instance, after implementing the new Bag pockets I noticed that the catching-tutorial dude's bag wasn't updated, so that got fixed. And the Physical/Special split was one of the first things I did with assembly, along with adding the Fairy type, so that commit might be incomplete.
Last edited by Rangi (2017-01-30 03:33:59)
Thanks! I got the running shoes and the physical/special split taken care of. My code for the physical special split was a little weird because I had a bird type as well as numerous normal types for some reason. I added fairy even though I won't use it. Figured it out though.
Pocket is a lot of changes....coming back to that one later (I really only want the one pocket).
I tried again to do the bag section, this time straight copying both pockets:
I get an error "Unable to load fixed WR00"
I didn't change a couple of the seemingly random numbers nor the day palette as you did. I believe I copy/pasted only 1 of your files completely over: engine/pack.asm...I feel like I maybe did another but can't imagine and think that was going to be item attributes but I realized you changed a lot of items....
Dunno right now
I tried manually copying changes into engine/pack.asm
Same error. Unable to load fixed WR AMX section into bank $00
Last edited by Maniac379 (2017-03-06 01:06:00)
I didn't change a couple of the seemingly random numbers nor the day palette as you did.
This is probably the cause of your compile error. It sounds like one of the banks in wram.asm has too much data in it. When I added space for the new pockets, I had to remove other unused space.
I'd suggest undoing all the bag-related commits and trying again, but to add just one pocket. And examine what each change is doing before you copy them over. For instance, I see you copied this:
-wKickCounter:: -wPresentPower:: ds 1 ; c689 +wKickCounter:: ds 1 ; c689
This was just me getting rid of an alternate name for that WRAM address, since I removed the Present attack and don't need wPresentPower any more. You don't need to copy it for the new bag pockets to work.
Also, my TM Pocket has a completely different implementation because I store TMs separately from other items. (You can only have one of each, can't throw them away, and it frees up 50 slots for more items.) So you'll need to ignore changes related to that.
Last edited by Rangi (2017-03-13 22:48:15)
I appreciate the response.
I looked back through the code and didn't notice any other changes like wPresentPower which I then fixed as you mentioned. Super helpful to understand that the error is due to lack of space in the ROM bank for WRAM, makes sense. I went back through and tried to delete things I wouldn't use. From what I can tell I added 4 lines/dunno how many bytes to the one bank of WRAM and 10 lines/bytes to a different bank in WRAM. This is based off of your changes to WRAM, how much you actually added. I did not add anything more than you. I then removed lucky number codes to compensate for the 4 lines (I assume to avoid crashing later would have to remove the lucky item radio script). I then removed the dude lines as seen which takes up like 12 lines and but I still get not enough room. I tried deleting more from the dude bank.
I noticed that all of this is in BANK ? Where as my error says WRAMX into bank $00 which seems like it would be the first bank which I did not change? Once I undid removing present power it should be the same amount of code that was originally there?
What is the wram.o file?
Last edited by Maniac379 (2017-03-14 01:42:29)
I just wanted to update that I found out what my core error was. In your commit Ragni that I copied, you had already expanded room to hold more items. In the base game there is storage for 107 items across all pockets/pc, your commit adds up to 121 as I tried to copy. By recalculating so that they add up to 107 I fixed the above error. I then had to fix about 5 other typos to get the game to make correctly. Finally! It compiled the ROM. This does break every save and save state I had so probably will merge the branch later.
It's not working yet, I'll dig into it later myself but posting now in case you can offer advice. When I receive a potion it is stated as going to the MED pocket, however when I look it is actually in Key Items and has a glitchy symbol next to the amount (probably because more than 1 of a key item). Actually all medicine items seem to do this and even if it was supposed to be 1 item it turns into MANY. Berries seem to properly go into the BERRY pocket.
Last 3 commits of berrybag branch over this: https://github.com/maniac379/White-Crys … s/berrybag
EDIT: I fixed the problem, was pretty simple mistake from copy/pasting that I told medicine items to receive as key item. I'll re-edit again when I put this into my main branch as a single commit for people to reference later if they want. Ragni's commit is easy to follow in and of itself just make note of the one difference on the number of item storage available is different in the base game.
Last edited by Maniac379 (2017-05-21 18:08:45)