Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#51 2016-12-29 16:52:46

Kuroko Aizawa
Post 422/499

Re: Pokemon Orange

bloodless wrote:

Is what's in the repository in any sort of playable state? I'd love to have a little peak.

Not really, just a couple maps and almost zero scripting.

#52 2016-12-29 18:29:31

Ziko
Post 5/35

Kuroko Aizawa wrote:
Ziko wrote:

My concern is the pool of Pokemon this will have.

Care to elaborate? Pokemon choice is being considered carefully, ie several alolan formes like Diglett and Rattata but not Meowth due to lore reasons. Tropical pokemon such as Tropius would only do well in a hack like this.

EDIT: http://i.imgur.com/ZepOJN1.png

Sure. I want to see Pokemon that would do well in this environment but also some past Gen 1 as well. Prism's main problem with me was the proliferation of Gen 3 & 4 pokemon and it got obnoxious as I didn't care much for the latter generation and that was why I didn't play any of the games from that generation.

#53 2016-12-29 18:38:06

Fotomac
Post 264/332

Oh wow, you actually KNOW Imakuni??

#54 2016-12-29 18:40:33

bloodless
Post 137/171

Personally I don't mind gen IV pokemon, my reason for not playing the games was that the overworld graphics made me want to tear my eyes out but I do agree that oversaturation of any Gens pokemon (other than 1 since canonically they are there) would feel a bit pushed. All gens should have equal treatment, such as the pre/evolutions and the more tropical pokemon. I'm not sure if Alola Ratata for example is appropriate as its an urban pokemon but Alolan Executtor is perfect.

The saddest thing is there's no such thing as an ex addict. Either you're fighting addiction or you're not and if you start fighting you never stop. That's the nature of the monster.

#55 2016-12-29 18:46:22

Kuroko Aizawa
Post 426/499

bloodless wrote:

Personally I don't mind gen IV pokemon, my reason for not playing the games was that the overworld graphics made me want to tear my eyes out but I do agree that oversaturation of any Gens pokemon (other than 1 since canonically they are there) would feel a bit pushed. All gens should have equal treatment, such as the pre/evolutions and the more tropical pokemon. I'm not sure if Alola Ratata for example is appropriate as its an urban pokemon but Alolan Executtor is perfect.

Plenty of cities in the OI so Alolan Rattata can be explained pretty easily.

Gen 1 is the only generation that will have large presence, I plan to keep the last 100 or so to be a healthy mix of the rest. This is simply to maintain integrity to the source material, it's not that I have immense preference over gen 1's dex. Expect all Pre/evos from Gen 2 and Gen 4 for the Gen 1 Pokemon, but don't expect Duskull line or Gligar/Gliscor.

Tropius, Pikipek line, Chatot, Water pokemon from any of the other gens, Hoppip line, Bounsweet, Tortunator, all are good candidates for this region.

Also I sent you an email.

#56 2016-12-29 19:44:28

bloodless
Post 138/171

That's the what I like to hear! Also I just remembered that one of the early eps from OIA was in fact in a large city so scratch the comment about that. Looking forward to seeing what pokemon the game has to offer.

Great, might not get chance to check my emails tonight (back on my phone) but thanks for getting back to me.

The saddest thing is there's no such thing as an ex addict. Either you're fighting addiction or you're not and if you start fighting you never stop. That's the nature of the monster.

#57 2016-12-29 20:02:26

Kuroko Aizawa
Post 428/499

There's another topic I need to discuss about the player character.

We have a few options.

1. No male player. Yellow from Adventures will be the only PC available

2. Mark and Mint from TCG, this is my least favorite option.

3. From the Magical Pokemon Journey manga, Almond and Hazel: http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/8/8b/Hypnotism.png

4. Create brand new characters, this will be much more time consuming and will probably be lower quality than any of the other options

5. Sun and Moon from Gen 7, however as far as time line is concerned this is an awful option as they'd be 4 years old canonically.

Option 3 is what I'm leaning towards, but I figure it would be worth discussion, number 1 and 5 would be easiest as I have all the assets ready.

Last edited by Kuroko Aizawa (2016-12-29 20:03:55)

#58 2016-12-29 20:26:14

bloodless
Post 139/171

I know it's an odd choice since Red is sort of Ash but what about Ash and the original female 'Green'. Then it's somewhat unique characters. Or even Ash and Yellow. Many people don't know Almond and Hazel so also a unique choice but maybe too unique.

Quick edit. The reason I suggest Ash is because other than Tracey and Brock he's the only male character to explore the OI and due to his uselessness is essentially a new trainer.

Last edited by bloodless (2016-12-29 20:34:42)

#59 2016-12-29 20:36:08

Kuroko Aizawa
Post 429/499

bloodless wrote:

I know it's an odd choice since Red is sort of Ash but what about Ash and the original female 'Green'. Then it's somewhat unique characters. Or even Ash and Yellow. Many people don't know Almond and Hazel so also a unique choice but maybe too unique.

At this point Green is pretty canon as the female version of Red so that's off the menu. Ash maybe lol but with the current story that would make very little sense. Not to mention I'm trying to keep the anime about as relevant as it was in Yellow (ie Team Rocket).

Almond and Hazel are very obscure as you say unique, which is why I think they'd do well. The manga they're from is a shoujo spinoff of RBY, so it would be the equivalent of me using any of the other manga characters like Green or Yellow. On top of that, the few that would recognize them would appreciate it as a silent nod, while people who don't would accept them as just custom trainers.

I dunno, tough choices.

#60 2016-12-29 20:45:01

bloodless
Post 140/171

A good point. Another suggestion would Luanas brother (I think.it was Luanas, maybe Cissys, been a while since I watched the series). He's a young and new trainer so that could work well.

#61 2016-12-29 23:07:57

Kuroko Aizawa
Post 430/499

Toucannon line is done, front wise.

pikipek_gsc_style_by_piacarrot-da9ynqk.pngtrumbeak_gsc_style_by_piacarrot-datfqow.pngtoucannon_gsc_style_by_piacarrot-datglnk.png

#62 2016-12-29 23:51:49

bloodless
Post 141/171

I'll make the backs if youd like. There are gen III bases for me to work with over on PC. And well done on having them all correctly sized for evolution stage.

Last edited by bloodless (2016-12-29 23:53:04)

#63 2016-12-30 02:36:45

Kuroko Aizawa
Post 431/499

bloodless wrote:

I'll make the backs if youd like. There are gen III bases for me to work with over on PC. And well done on having them all correctly sized for evolution stage.

That would be awesome. I was gonna do them myself but family decided to have a 2nd christmas tonight lol so I had to leave.

#64 2016-12-30 02:57:32

bloodless
Post 142/171

I'll push them to the top of the list (well, the easy list, I've got some gen I requests to work on that will take much longer) so expect within 24 hours.

#65 2016-12-30 02:59:16

Rangi
Post 433/870

I made a Prof. Elm sprite by combining his Pokémon Puzzle Challenge head with Mateo's devamped FR/LG Prof. Oak body (so he looks different from GSC Oak):

M64jyae.png

By the way, I could use a female cosplayer sprite. pixie-rings' gijinka sprites might be good to devamp. I like the Pikachu, Vulpix, and Azumarill ones:

jTOvVqv.png

Edit: ...I meant to post this in the graphics thread, sorry. I'm used to seeing Kuroko and bloodless' sprite conversations there.

Last edited by Rangi (2016-12-30 03:42:42)

Pokémon Polished Crystal (GitHub) — version 2.2.0 released
Pokémon Red★ and Blue★: Space World Edition (GitHub) — updated August 19!
Polished Map: pokered+pokecrystal map, tileset, and palette editor — version 3.5.1 released!

#66 2016-12-30 03:23:39

bloodless
Post 143/171

Rangi wrote:

I made a Prof. Elm sprite by combining his Pokémon Puzzle Challenge head with Mateo's devamped FR/LG Prof. Oak body (so he looks different from GSC Oak):

http://i.imgur.com/M64jyae.png

By the way, I could use a female cosplayer sprite. pixie-rings' gijinka sprites might be good to devamp. I like the Pikachu, Vulpix, and Azumarill ones:

http://i.imgur.com/jTOvVqv.png

Elm looks better than my own (which will be posted soon) but his head looks somewhat oversized, I may try combining both our sprites.

As for the Cosplay sprites if Kuroko or someone else can't give them a go I'll have a crack it at it after I finish Gen IV up. I reckon Pikachu would be easiest to devamp and second easiest to resize so I'll probably go with that one.

#67 2016-12-31 05:07:24

DarioEMeloD
Post 2/6

About the player characters, perhaps you could use the trainers from the GS beta.

#68 2017-01-03 22:40:12

Kuroko Aizawa
Post 445/499

Still undecided for the male, but I'll be using the Crystal beta female for the female PC.

Some screens of Tangelo Island:

oLxjeZL.pnguejtC29.pngEfuGB2T.pngOfcJyQt.png

The last screen is where the Lapras event will take place.

An observation about Pinkan code, if you use the berry in battle it won't change the pokemon's palette until you are out of battle. I guess I'll have to change it so its not usable in a battle :p

#69 2017-01-03 23:12:03

bloodless
Post 162/171

I hadn't even thought of the Crystal beta female, as far as I'm concerned great choice!

Tangelo looks simply superb, can't wait to see what else you've got coming.

Btw, I finally got round to sending you a message on fb.

#70 2017-01-03 23:18:35

Kuroko Aizawa
Post 446/499

I said that without even posting it, forgot to upload to imgur xD

WDUY9fN.png
Simple and she wears a skirt which is appropriate for the region. I might go with the alpha male but it concerns me bc he looks a lot like Tracey, as far as his face and hair go.

#71 2017-01-03 23:23:40

bloodless
Post 163/171

I've only ever seen a compressed image of the sprite before, is this from scratch? Looks good.

I think the male looks distinct enough from Tracey for that not to matter, what concerns me is he looks a tad over clothed for a tropical region.

#72 2017-01-03 23:27:58

Kuroko Aizawa
Post 447/499

Yeah from scratch, and 100% based off the compressed image. I used Gold's palette since I imagined that's what GF would have done based off her design at that point.

As for the male I plan to give him shorts at the very least, and I can give him a T-shirt if I still think he looks a bit stuffy.

#73 2017-01-03 23:36:14

bloodless
Post 164/171

Awesome, dont think I could have worked off of something that small, I struggle enough with RB's backsprites.

Well his shirt looks somewhat baggy so shorts may be all that's needed, I guess we'll have to see what you can come up with!

#74 2017-01-04 02:31:30

Kuroko Aizawa
Post 448/499

I seem to be having an issue with water encounters on route 31. Before I changed the encounters, wild Pokemon would appear (being Poliwags and Poliwhirls as well as Bulbasaur bc of the encounter extension), but after changing it to all low level tentacool I cannot seem to get encounters working at all. Grass works fine, it's just water. Every other routes water encounters works fine.

EDIT: I've just reverted the code to 3 wild pokemon per route in water for now. I seem to have bugged code hard along the way somewhere and I'll probably need help extending it properly.

Last edited by Kuroko Aizawa (2017-01-04 04:00:13)

#75 2017-01-04 14:34:36

Kuroko Aizawa
Post 450/499

Another thing I wanted to bring up is difficulty and grinding in Orange. Due to the nature of the high density of Grass and Water Types in the beginning areas, Grinding early for an edge will be encouraged, getting your starter to at least 16 will help. I made this very easy by having wild pokemon such as Bellsprout in the first route for high experience yields.

The first battle with Tracey is very early on, and he only has a 13 venonat and a 12 marill, so that should give you an idea of the difficulty I am going for. At start, Squirtle probably has the most trouble with being countered by grass and not much to train on easily. On route 50 I plan to have a couple fire types appear commonly as well as alolan geodude, to help with this. Route 50 is available before the Tracey battle so I hope this will help.

I will also be giving the player the Surf HM at the same time as Lapras, which while questionable as it's a powerful move, I think the first gym being Water type will balance this out anyway. If the player for some reason decides to release Lapras you will not get stuck this way.

Last edited by Kuroko Aizawa (2017-01-04 14:48:56)

Board footer