Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#26 2016-12-27 06:22:52

Kuroko Aizawa
Post 402/499

Re: Pokemon Orange

Sorry for lack of updates, other than adding to the tileset it's just been a bunch of planning and storywriting.

The goal of this hack is to be a bridge between RBY and GSC, but I still want to maintain some of the anime plot. For that reason I will be including Brock and Misty despite them not being Red's companions. They will have their own plots.

I intend to have Brock be the main focus of the Crystal Onix storyline and Misty (as shown in Gen 2 on her date) will have a plot with Rudy on her search for a boyfriend. Of course, I don't plan to have them just be one-off encounters and they will reward the player somehow. Brock, being a breeder in the anime, could give an egg to the player as a reward, and I'd like to have Misty contribute somehow as well. Will be taking suggestions.

Red, despite being the Kanto champion, I want to have some fun with. In the anime, Ash is constantly getting his butt kicked in battles, but one of the biggest losses of his was on Cleopatra Island in the episode Charizard Chills. I'd rather not use Tad as the trainer who beats Red, but I do want him to lose a battle here. This is closer to end-game, so perhaps it could be a good battle for the player, but what do you all think?

And then there's Tracey. I intend for him to essentially be the game rival, with the first battle being on Tangelo Island where the player gets Lapras,  with plenty of recurring battles on other islands. Tracey is not a Pokemon trainer, though, so I need to develop a plotline for him so he doesn't end up being a rival all the way to Pummelo Island. I think between all these characters and the two Team Rocket trios there will be no downtime for battles.

Finally, Hamlin Island. It's the last island the player will go, and it also contains a ferry (canonically) back to Kanto. As of anime canon, there are 3 islands north of the OI, them being Seafoam, Cinnabar, and New Island. These could make for some awesome postgame, but I would not be including the rest of Kanto besides perhaps Pallet Town. Does this sound appealing? Originally I thought New Island could serve as a host for Mewtwo, but I have Red's plot written as he has the original 150 and is in the OI in search of Mew. I could replace New Island with a "Faraway Island" of sorts for a Mew encounter.

Just want to hear thoughts and suggestions to make this a thing, I'm getting really into this hack!

#27 2016-12-29 02:02:28

Ziko
Post 4/35

The scale already seems big for this hack as is. I guess at this rate, it'll be great to see what comes out of it. My concern is the pool of Pokemon this will have.

#28 2016-12-29 03:30:14

Rangi
Post 422/870

Visiting only southern Kanto does sound like a good idea. It makes the world feel bigger than it is, since the player can imagine what's going on in the rest of the region.

Misty's Togepi canonically hatched in late Kanto, but how about moving it up the Orange Islands? Maybe she gives the Egg to the player.

Beating Red before the League sounds kind of anticlimactic, unless you have someone else in mind as the dramatic post-League boss.

Lorelei/Prima would be neat to include, as well as sidequests or characters adapted from the Sevii Islands. (Perhaps merge Ruin Valley and Charizard Valley, Icefall Cave and Crystal Onix's cave, have the Tanoby Ruins offshore somewhere, etc.)

Pokémon Polished Crystal (GitHub) — version 2.2.0 released
Pokémon Red★ and Blue★: Space World Edition (GitHub) — updated August 19!
Polished Map: pokered+pokecrystal map, tileset, and palette editor — version 3.5.1 released!

#29 2016-12-29 03:51:33

Kuroko Aizawa
Post 409/499

Ziko wrote:

My concern is the pool of Pokemon this will have.

Care to elaborate? Pokemon choice is being considered carefully, ie several alolan formes like Diglett and Rattata but not Meowth due to lore reasons. Tropical pokemon such as Tropius would only do well in a hack like this.

EDIT: ZepOJN1.png

Last edited by Kuroko Aizawa (2016-12-29 04:13:58)

#30 2016-12-29 04:02:41

Rangi
Post 423/870

Speaking of the regional dex, anything Australian would also fit. I'm thinking of Kangaskhan, Komala, Cyndaquil (echidna), Chatot, Sandile, Ekans...

Polished Map: pokered+pokecrystal map, tileset, and palette editor — version 3.5.1 released!

#31 2016-12-29 04:22:15

Rangi
Post 424/870

When I modify default pokecrystal's GetMonPalettePointer to always return the pink pointer, it works as expected: Pokémon in the status screen and in battle are all pink. (By the way, I made shiny pink be RGB 31, 16, 20 / RGB 31, 05, 01.) So I think the problem is that you're not always checking the right location for status. Everything after the "ret" is never executed, so your detection of BattleMonDVs and EnemyMonDVs doesn't work. Try this:

CheckPink:
; check if bc == BattleMonDVs
    push hl
    ld hl, BattleMonDVs
    ld a, h
    cp b
    jr nz, .bc_is_not_battlemondvs
    ld a, l
    cp c
    jr nz, .bc_is_not_battlemondvs
    ; over here you know that bc == BattleMonDVs
    pop hl
    push bc
    jr .bc_uses_battle_struct

.bc_is_not_battlemondvs:
; check if bc == EnemyMonDVs
    ld hl, BattleMonDVs
    ld a, h
    cp b
    jr nz, .bc_is_not_battlestruct
    ld a, l
    cp c
    jr nz, .bc_is_not_battlestruct
    ; over here you know that bc == EnemyMonDVs
    pop hl
    push bc
    jr .bc_uses_battle_struct

.bc_is_not_battlestruct:
    ; add 11 to bc to get Status
    push bc
rept 3
    inc bc
endr
.bc_uses_battle_struct:
    ; add 8 to bc to get Status
rept 8
    inc bc
endr
    ld a, [bc]
    cp (1 << PNK)
    pop bc
    ret

#32 2016-12-29 04:50:14

Kuroko Aizawa
Post 410/499

Trying to keep Australian mon out like Yungoos but I fully intend to include the original 150, I may possibly replace Mewtwo though since there's nowhere in the lore where it would fit. Naranja had Chatot in it if I remember correctly, so I'll consider that as well.

Good idea for Misty, would be an excellent way to include Togepi.

As for Red, I can always save the event for post Pummelo, he just wouldn't show up on Cleopatra until then.

EDIT: Also, that code just makes the status and battle crash the rom. Did you have code for GetMonPalettePointer as well?

Last edited by Kuroko Aizawa (2016-12-29 04:55:19)

#33 2016-12-29 05:19:09

Rangi
Post 425/870

Kuroko Aizawa wrote:

EDIT: Also, that code just makes the status and battle crash the rom. Did you have code for GetMonPalettePointer as well?

GetMonPalettePointer shouldn't need editing, since it just relies on CheckPink's return value.

One mistake I made: "check if bc == EnemyMonDVs" compares with BattleMonDVs again. But all that means is if bc == EnemyMonDVs it'll add 11 instead of 8 and check the wrong place in memory. Don't know why it's crashing.

Edit: Put "pop hl" right after ".bc_is_not_battlestruct:".

If you put this on GitHub I could check it out and test the actual code. (Don't worry about copyright issues, pokecrystal itself is a violation, as are Red++ and Polished Crystal. Prism and Uranium just got too much publicity.)

Last edited by Rangi (2016-12-29 05:21:33)

#34 2016-12-29 05:28:32

Kuroko Aizawa
Post 411/499

Rangi wrote:
Kuroko Aizawa wrote:

GetMonPalettePointer shouldn't need editing, since it just relies on CheckPink's return value.

One mistake I made: "check if bc == EnemyMonDVs" compares with BattleMonDVs again. But all that means is if bc == EnemyMonDVs it'll add 11 instead of 8 and check the wrong place in memory. Don't know why it's crashing.

If you put this on GitHub I could check it out and test the actual code. (Don't worry about copyright issues, pokecrystal itself is a violation, as are Red++ and Polished Crystal. Prism and Uranium just got too much publicity.)

I can upload it, I just don't know how to put it on github. Manually uploading files seems impossible since its limited to a hundred at a time, and trying to do it from cygwin isn't working.

In a base color.asm, adding that code, doesn't seem to do anything in status or battle. Doesn't crash, though.

Last edited by Kuroko Aizawa (2016-12-29 05:34:07)

#35 2016-12-29 05:53:01

Rangi
Post 426/870

Kuroko Aizawa wrote:

I can upload it, I just don't know how to put it on github. Manually uploading files seems impossible since its limited to a hundred at a time, and trying to do it from cygwin isn't working.

In a base color.asm, adding that code, doesn't seem to do anything in status or battle. Doesn't crash, though.

You started with base pokecrystal, right? Make a GitHub account and press the Fork button in the top-right of it. Then you'll have your own repo, which you can "git clone" onto your computer. Copy+paste your modified files on top of the cloned ones, "git add" any that you created and "git remove" any you aren't using, then "git commit" and "git push". TortoiseGit is a Windows Explorer extension for managing Git repos if you prefer that to the command line, and there's also GitHub Desktop.

Last edited by Rangi (2016-12-29 05:53:24)

#36 2016-12-29 07:24:46

Kuroko Aizawa
Post 412/499

Ok here it is! https://github.com/PiaCarrot/pokecrystal

Sorry it took so long, took a while to figure out.

#37 2016-12-29 09:27:42

Rangi
Post 427/870

Polished Crystal is already a fork of pokecrystal, so I can't clone your fork too (my problem, not yours), so no pull requests. But, some suggestions:

• Remove all the png files. Try cloning a fresh copy of your repository, as it is on GitHub, and run make—it won't fit in the ROM sections. When you convert a 2bpp.lz to png, the Makefile converts it back, and since the compressor is inferior to whatever Gamefreak used, the 2bpp.lz file gets bigger. You could just keep the pngs which you've changed, for clarity.

• Edit the Makefile to create pokeorange.gbc, so it won't conflict with regular pokecrystal. (Could also change the title PM_CRYSTAL to PKMNORANGE, not that it really matters.)

• The "TileAnimationPalette" entry in tilesets/animations.asm:Tileset01Anim can be replaced with "WaitTileAnimation", since the RSE water tiles don't match the changing color.

• The final two water colors in tilesets/bg.pal still have some old values. Try this:

RGB 23, 29, 31
    RGB 16, 26, 30
    RGB 04, 19, 24
    RGB 07, 07, 07

RGB 11, 14, 20
    RGB 05, 04, 15
    RGB 02, 01, 13
    RGB 00, 00, 00

• You'll eventually want to replace internal code references to Oak, Eusine, NewBarkTown, etc with Ivy, Tracey, ValenciaIsland, etc, just to avoid confusion. (Also, nice sprites for those characters.)

• engine/color.asm has an updated CheckPink routine, but GetMonPalettePointer is missing the CheckPink call that you posted earlier. Put it back and the pink palette will work. (Also, IMO the shiny pink palette should be different.)

• maps/NewBarkTown.asm:Text_ItsDangerousToGoAlone overflows (and "professor Ivy" should be "PROF.IVY" or "PROFESSOR IVY" for consistency).

• Update gfx/unknown/08c893.2bpp to match your new vine-like Headbutt tree. (Which I think would look better like this.)

• The new roofs don't quite match the RSE originals (devamps by Mateo), which use 4×3=12 tiles. Two options here. One, stop using those nine special per-map roof tiles, and replace some other tiles with those new shingled roofs (probably the Ecruteak-style roofs, plus a few more unused tiles). Or two, modify tilesets/roofs.asm:LoadMapGroupRoof to load 12 tiles by changing the $90s to $c0s and $0a to $07, then change the gfx/tilesets/roofs/*.2bpp files to have 12 tiles each, and edit gfx/tilesets/01.2bpp.lz since now those brick and Pokémon Center sign tiles next to the roof (i.e. tiles $07, $08, and $09) will be a fourth row of roof tiles. And of course edit the metatiles to match.

Edit:

I like your badge icons, but the trainer card looks kind of empty with only four. How about four more that aren't part of the Orange League proper? One could represent the trophy from beating Drake, and Brock, Misty, and Blaine could give you their badges in post-game sidequests. They could appear as question marks on the trainer card until they're earned, since they're not requirements to become the Champion.

Last edited by Rangi (2016-12-29 09:49:57)

#38 2016-12-29 13:04:03

Kuroko Aizawa
Post 413/499

"engine/color.asm has an updated CheckPink routine, but GetMonPalettePointer is missing the CheckPink call that you posted earlier. Put it back and the pink palette will work. (Also, IMO the shiny pink palette should be different.)"

Yes, my GetMonPalettePointer causes the game to crash when a sprite is shown (battle or status):

GetMonPalettePointer:
    push af
    call CheckPink ; return 0 in a if not pink, 1 if pink
    jr z, .pink
    pop af
    ld l, a
    ld h, $0
    add hl, hl
    add hl, hl
    add hl, hl
    ld bc, PokemonPalettes
    add hl, bc
    ret

.pink:
    pop af ; so we don't just leave that register pair that we pushed hanging around
    ld hl, PokemonPalettes
    ret

I've fixed those palettes and the overflow error. If anything for the badges I'm just going to eventually center them.

saohMYt.png

Last edited by Kuroko Aizawa (2016-12-29 13:18:27)

#39 2016-12-29 13:40:34

Kuroko Aizawa
Post 414/499

Also, I had Imakuni over last night and we watched a ton of anime episodes from OI, wrote ideas and bounced off eachother. I have some more storyline things to go over.

Lorelei. She'll appear on Mandarin Island South, lorewise her family will be from there and not the Sevii Islands. The player will find out why she leaves the Elite Four there, Lance will make a very short cameo. First visit you will not battle her, but postgame she will have a full-fledged battle with very high leveled Pokemon.

Agatha. Upon reaching Pallet Town, the last location in the game, Oak and Agatha will have a heated argument outside of his Lab. Agatha wants a rematch to get over the humiliation of defeat to Oak many years ago. Oak refuses, stating he is long past those days and storms back inside. Agatha curses at him and faces the player, recognizing that you are a strong trainer, she issues a challenge to you to blow off steam. After this defeat she realizes she has a long way to go and leaves to train at an unknown location.

Visiting Drake's home after defeating the entire Orange Crew will reward you with a Dratini that has Extremespeed.

Red will have the starter stronger to what you chose, he will give you an egg of it upon defeat. Oak will give you the third egg. I plan to allow all Pokemon to be obtainable, so I believe I'll have to replace Mewtwo to drop confusion regarding it.

#40 2016-12-29 13:53:13

Rangi
Post 430/870

Strange, it wasn't crashing for me in VBA 1.8.0b3. If you edit GetMonPalettePointer to just always return the pink palette, it makes the sprites always pink, right?

Have you decided why Lorelei left the Elite 4? In Polished Crystal I implied that Karen outclassed her and they're kind of rivals about it, but maybe I could change it to reference Pokémon Orange.

I hope the player will eventually be able to find Agatha and battle her.

Leaving out Mewtwo makes sense, since either Red or Gold fought it in Cerulean Cave. And that's one more slot for an environmentally fit Pokémon.

Which legendaries are you using? Presumably the birds, and Lugia since Shamouti Island is there, and Mew of course. Celebi, since Ivy had the GS Ball? Jirachi, since its shooting star motif matches the Orange Crew's Southern Cross symbolism? (Personally I would love a minor space/stars theme, which would also be an excuse to commission a Per Aspera Ad Astra devamp, but that might just be me.) Heatran or Volcanion in a volcano? Not that you need any more legendaries, I'm just throwing out ideas.

Last edited by Rangi (2016-12-29 13:55:46)

#41 2016-12-29 14:07:17

Kuroko Aizawa
Post 415/499

"If you edit GetMonPalettePointer to just always return the pink palette, it makes the sprites always pink, right?"

When my partner and I were testing it before, it would always return pink, but never for just the player, it would be the enemy too. I suck at asm though and don't even remember how to change it to always return pink, it's been a few months.

Celebi will be left for Gold/Kris to get in GSC, Samson Oak has the GS Ball by the end of Orange. I've not thought of anything for Jirachi but to add it I would feel I would need to use some plot from Wishmaker, which could be difficult as its island based opposed to the Hoenn region. I could recycle part of Quasar's plot but it would still have no real place in this hack.

I like the idea of Volcanion, perhaps it could be the cause of the Cinnabar eruption (and in this timeline, you presumably stop it)?

Manaphy/Phione can easily fit in the plot, as could Darkrai and Cresselia.

I'm also considering Necrozma and Marshadow, hence why I've made sprites for 'em. At the end of the day I don't know 100% yet.

EDIT: Regarding Lorelei, I will imply she is there to support her family.

Last edited by Kuroko Aizawa (2016-12-29 14:13:28)

#42 2016-12-29 14:31:08

Rangi
Post 431/870

When my partner and I were testing it before, it would always return pink, but never for just the player, it would be the enemy too. I suck at asm though and don't even remember how to change it to always return pink, it's been a few months.

Yes, that's as expected. One way to always return pink is to put "jr .pink" right after "push af". If that works, try moving it after "call CheckPink" to see if the call is what's causing the crash.

#43 2016-12-29 14:38:18

Kuroko Aizawa
Post 416/499

You're a god.

pokecrystal.png

seriously theres gonna be a shrine dedicated to all you guys here in this game, you're all way too good at this stuff xD

#44 2016-12-29 14:48:43

bloodless
Post 128/171

Some of my tiles you may find useful Di1PwRu.png

Ignore the sprites, it was a mockup for what a pre-E4 tournament may look like with type feilds and the like, like in the anime.

The saddest thing is there's no such thing as an ex addict. Either you're fighting addiction or you're not and if you start fighting you never stop. That's the nature of the monster.

#45 2016-12-29 15:06:49

Rangi
Post 432/870

Kuroko Aizawa wrote:

You're a god.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ … rystal.png

seriously theres gonna be a shrine dedicated to all you guys here in this game, you're all way too good at this stuff xD

So you got it working for both sides of the battle, and the status screen? Great! (I saw that you modified sleeping Headbutt tree Pokémon to be PNK instead, I guess as a test.) Do push the change to GitHub, thanks.

Some of my tiles you may find useful
Ignore the sprites, it was a mockup for what a pre-E4 tournament may look like with type fields and the like, like in the anime.

Type fields look cool. Will they have an effect on battle mechanics? Like powering up moves of that type? Also, if the red water is meant to be lava, you could use the tiles from Clair's gym.

The stadium has a great 3D shape (good job with angling the side doors and pillars), but its shading is flat, and I'm not sure if all those tiles will even fit in one tileset.

Edit: Oh bloodless, those are your tiles, not Kuroko's. Nice work!

By the way, if you want to center the view on the field and not on the player sprite (since they're standing at one end, and the opponent would be off-screen), you can use the movement function hide_person and show an ObjectEvent NPC sprite of the player instead, then move the now-invisible player to the center field and the camera will follow them. Maybe an obvious trick, but I've found a few uses for panning the camera around.

Last edited by Rangi (2016-12-29 15:09:59)

#46 2016-12-29 15:19:00

bloodless
Post 129/171

At the time I made those tiles I somehow missed Clair's lava, I've been meaning to go back and redo them but time constraints got in the way. The idea was to have battle effects, I was hoping to use it to both weaken and strengthen types.

My worry was about all the tiles fitting into one set which is why I also played with the idea of it only being on the edge of a map. Here's a mock-up of how I thought it could work.

M4JwK3x.png

The saddest thing is there's no such thing as an ex addict. Either you're fighting addiction or you're not and if you start fighting you never stop. That's the nature of the monster.

#47 2016-12-29 15:46:17

Kuroko Aizawa
Post 417/499

I've pushed the changes to github. Interesting tiles bloodless, looking closely at them they seem they'd need some recoloring to implement due to the 8x8 restrictions.

EDIT: It seems wild pokemon still aren't Pink when afflicted with PNK, which just makes me want to get the caught location method working moreso.

Last edited by Kuroko Aizawa (2016-12-29 15:48:10)

#48 2016-12-29 16:04:30

bloodless
Post 130/171

Yeah, when I made them I'd moved over to FR/LG making it look like R/B/G so I forgot to take that into account but hope you can get some use out of them.

Can't wait to see Pink Pokemon working fully!

#49 2016-12-29 16:31:18

Kuroko Aizawa
Post 419/499

Renamed the repository: https://github.com/PiaCarrot/pokeorange

Hoping to finish Valencia today, really looking forward to mapping Tangelo.

#50 2016-12-29 16:48:26

bloodless
Post 132/171

Is what's in the repository in any sort of playable state? I'd love to have a little peak.

Board footer