Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#126 2013-02-12 23:15:14

Mateo
Post 2,310/3,553

Re: What happened to Twilight Hacking?

stag019 wrote:

You see it all the time on the internet, every website has their own Facebook and Twitter these days (if Skeetendo gets either, I don't care, but will ignore their existance).

There is technically a facebook page called "Skeetendo, Inc." where Cartmic and I were admins, but it was basically a relic that operated off the idea of Skeetendo from the days of Skeetendo being the name of a small hacking group instead of a community (and as such didn't really represent the community as a whole). So I recently went to it and told people that Cartmic and I weren't staff members at Skeetendo anymore and to ignore that page, and told them to go to the "Romhacker Mateo" page instead for info on my hacks. (Part of that whole "I should stop referring to my things as 'Skeetendo' projects since that is a community now, not just me and Pyro.") So yeah. But if someone who is a staff member here wants to take it over that's cool. Or I can delete it.

#127 2013-02-12 23:16:01

Mr. Magius
Post 40/45

OK, PokéCommunity was a bad example. There are many other sites that I've been a part of that have a certain umbrella and are very much the same as their counterpart. Consider that Facebook vs. Myspace are the same thing but certain users prefer the layout or the organisation of Facebook. To you Skeetendo and #skeetendo are like television and radio, but to me TH and Skeetendo is like Facebook and Myspace, or watching two of the exact same televisions of different brands or different resolutions.

I know TH is extremely similar to Skeetendo, but it's another place to go. That's it. If you hate it so much, no one's forcing you to go.

Lastly, Is it how I'm describing it, or how you interpret it? It's a bit of both.

baah

#128 2013-02-12 23:20:02

stag019
Idea Killer
Post 339/630

Mr. Magius wrote:

OK, PokéCommunity was a bad example. There are many other sites that I've been a part of that have a certain umbrella and are very much the same as their counterpart. Consider that Facebook vs. Myspace are the same thing but certain users prefer the layout or the organisation of Facebook. To you Skeetendo and #skeetendo are like television and radio, but to me TH and Skeetendo is like Facebook and Myspace, or watching two of the exact same televisions of different brands or different resolutions.

This is by far the worst example ever. Ever since everyone started using Facebook, MySpace has dwindled to near nothingness. That's exactly what's going to happen with Skeetendo. A small community is going to turn into a community of 5.

Mr. Magius wrote:

I know TH is extremely similar to Skeetendo, but it's another place to go. That's it. If you hate it so much, no one's forcing you to go.

I don't plan on going, but as you can already see, plenty of other people are planning on going. And once again, it's going to hurt us in the long term.

You can try to hide yourself in this world of pretend; when the paper's crumpled up, it can't be perfect again.

#129 2013-02-12 23:25:01

tysonrss
Post 574/649

It's not like there are many metal generation boards about hacking to begin with. If anything Skeetendo seems to be the forefront of it. What this will do is basically divide everyone up, and since TH is a board that shows promise because of its advertising of new looks and new beginnings, which will be the eventual downfall of this place as we will most likely get users who sign up for help and never come back, probably go to TH to showcase their work and be done with here, only to ever come back for more help.

What I see coming from TH is an attempt to be like Pokecommunity or PHO, and it may succeed as that, as everyone's hardwork over here to make gen II hacking a little easier vanishes to nothingness.

Pokemon Blue DX is reborn!

#130 2013-02-12 23:34:12

Miksy91
Post 1,514/2,331

stag019 wrote:

And once again, it's going to hurt us in the long term.

This is true. If TH is to be made a "gaming site" instead of putting more focus into actual rom hacking and on the other hand, this site runs down, it's definitely going to hurt in long term. What is that we want to accomplish by keeping these sites going? Do we want to show beginners that by inputting fancy graphics and using game-specific tools written by others, they can do whatever is required to form a good rom hack?

Everyone's got the right to do anything they want here in internet. If you want to put up a new hacking forum, no one has the right to say not to.
But the truth is that if TH becomes far more popular than this site, all the documentation would have to be moved there anyway so what would be the point behind the change? A far simple thing to do would be focusing on "improving" this site to look better to the eye and probably implement one or two new sections there it we wanted it to have a more "non-rom hacking" type of feeling.

Last edited by Miksy91 (2013-02-12 23:37:36)

#131 2013-02-12 23:41:48

Akwa
Post 91/140

I sign under what stag019, Miksy91 and tysonrss are saying, especially

stag019 wrote:

Gen 1 & 2 romhacking is a very small niche, and all potential benefits of this split will be covered with a vast shadow of negative consequences.

It's not like I am experiencing such forum split first time in my life. I have never seen it bring any good.

Last edited by Akwa (2013-02-12 23:42:05)

#132 2013-02-13 00:00:43

Mr. Magius
Post 41/45

stag019 wrote:

This is by far the worst example ever. Ever since everyone started using Facebook, MySpace has dwindled to near nothingness. That's exactly what's going to happen with Skeetendo. A small community is going to turn into a community of 5.

Maybe instead of insulting my use of metaphors you can see what I was aiming for. Look at my TV example..

Everyone here has to remember that I'm also a member of Skeetendo and a fellow hacker (Miksy, I'm not one to put graphics and fanciness first, so don't assume that), and have been in these scenes for many years. Although I'm clearly not as active as everyone else, I've been on frequently and care about the community and this site. I'm not going to let TH override Skeetendo and if somehow that happens, then obviously something has to change. It's not a competition, it's two separate communities, or countries with separate administration, or governments. If members like it here or there, there's a reason for it that that you aren't seeing.

Anyways, I'd like the arguing to end here, as it's just an endless cycle. I'm aware of how some might see something negative out of it, but I'll make sure there isn't. I'll still be active here (probably much more active than I've been). By now you know how stubborn I am with TH, but I mean to bring the community together (sure as hell not divide it!) along with new generations of wannabe hackers. Maybe I could have considered revamping this site, but I felt I didn't have any authority or power to process the change, and I felt that Skeetendo and its members are strong enough.

baah

#133 2013-02-13 00:05:33

comet
Post 134/679

IIMarckus wrote:

If you really feel the administration is lacking, tell me—in IRC, or by email, or in a post. I can’t respond to people's concerns if they don’t talk to me, and it’s no fun being blindsided when people are unhappy.

The people who have ignored this are giving a big middle finger to ii specifically. If you have beef just fucking say so instead of trying to pull the userbase from under his feet.

#134 2013-02-13 00:06:52

emaj30
Post 253/463
Website

Though I'm planning to register to TH, I highly agree with the people here who are against to the idea of reviving TH. If not today, Skeetendo will be the shadow of TH some time in future. But I want to be blindsided here, all I can see now is a debate whether TH's presence is good or bad. It's sad to see people arguing with such thing, we're all going to talk nonsense here soon.

#135 2013-02-13 00:14:05

Mr. Magius
Post 42/45

comet wrote:
IIMarckus wrote:

If you really feel the administration is lacking, tell me—in IRC, or by email, or in a post. I can’t respond to people's concerns if they don’t talk to me, and it’s no fun being blindsided when people are unhappy.

The people who have ignored this are giving a big middle finger to ii specifically. If you have beef just fucking say so instead of trying to pull the userbase from under his feet.

I certainly wasn't ignoring Marckus. I'm sure he's aware of this event and if he isn't, then I apologise. It's funny, because I'm not pulling anything under his nose or even taking users away from this site. And actually, I'm perfectly content with Skeetendo. If I wasn't, I'd have done something other than TH a long time ago. I just wanna form another--different--community.

And in some sense, I do agree with what everyone is saying about degenerating Skeetendo... I'll try my best for that not to happen.

Last edited by Mr. Magius (2013-02-13 00:15:10)

baah

#136 2013-02-13 00:18:24

comet
Post 135/679

You are admitting to ignoring his request by saying that there are things that you feel aren't covered here but refusing to say what they are, just hiding behind 'different'.

Your wording is very calculated. You make contradictory concepts sound like natural outcomes of each other.

#137 2013-02-13 00:20:51

emaj30
Post 254/463
Website

@Mr. Magius

I just want to ask this:
If TH will be successful, how can you prevent it from overriding Skeetendo?

I just like the idea of two forums parallel to each other, but for how long it will be?

#138 2013-02-13 00:22:22

tysonrss
Post 575/649

Miksy91 wrote:
stag019 wrote:

This is true. If TH is to be made a "gaming site" instead of putting more focus into actual rom hacking and on the other hand, this site runs down, it's definitely going to hurt in long term. What is that we want to accomplish by keeping these sites going? Do we want to show beginners that by inputting fancy graphics and using game-specific tools written by others, they can do whatever is required to form a good rom hack?

Everyone's got the right to do anything they want here in internet. If you want to put up a new hacking forum, no one has the right to say not to.
But the truth is that if TH becomes far more popular than this site, all the documentation would have to be moved there anyway so what would be the point behind the change? A far simple thing to do would be focusing on "improving" this site to look better to the eye and probably implement one or two new sections there it we wanted it to have a more "non-rom hacking" type of feeling.

Not quite what I mean, not at least fully.

I wasn't only talking about the wealth of documents here but the project being worked on for easier dissambly as well. People who come here are going to feel out of place once they see the change from hex to dissambly, and so with TH since the majority of members there will most liekly be 'tool'ers' then that pretty much will make this site obsolete once all documentation is posted on the other forum.

In other words, 'tool'ers' and 'programmers' are being divided. And unfortunately Skeetendo is more programming.

If people have a particular issue with the board then they should come out with it instead of dragging people from under their feet to a "new beginning" at another place. If people think the place is boring or needs something changed then make a thread talking about such changes, instead of going the sneaky route in an attempt to flank the already present administration.

#139 2013-02-13 00:23:26

comet
Post 136/679

jwibagi wrote:
comet wrote:

comet wrote:

The people

comet wrote:

just fucking say so

Now, why don't you "just fucking say so" who these people are?

It surprises me that you ask people to be direct yet you can't say "Mr. Magius, your words are very calculated, just fucking tell IIMarckus what you dislike about this forum."

Nice try friend.

#140 2013-02-13 00:26:27

tysonrss
Post 576/649

jwibagi wrote:
tysonrss wrote:

If people have a particular issue with the board then they should come out with it instead of dragging people from under their feet to a "new beginning" at another place. If people think the place is boring or needs something changed then make a thread talking about such changes, instead of going the sneaky route in an attempt to flank the already present administration.

You forgot about this and this, amongst other scattered posts.

The people running the place are busy, which is mostly IIMarckus. But if people feel that a change is so necessary then why even come here in the first place?

#141 2013-02-13 00:29:35

emaj30
Post 255/463
Website

Things are getting shallower here...
Arguing with everyone here is pointless. When one answers, the other one gets the urge to throw back his answer that can slap the other one.

Last edited by emaj30 (2013-02-13 00:32:39)

#142 2013-02-13 00:35:16

Miksy91
Post 1,515/2,331

Okay everyone, there is nothing to be seen here anymore.
Join TH if you will, don't join if you don't want to.

That's all there is to really.

#143 2013-02-13 00:37:28

emaj30
Post 256/463
Website

Miksy91 wrote:

Okay everyone, there is nothing to be seen here anymore.
Join TH if you will, don't join if you don't want to.

That's all there is to really.

+100

#144 2013-02-13 00:51:31

tysonrss
Post 577/649

I made some grave mistakes here. I'm out of this discussion.

But I'll say this.

jwibagi wrote:

So if people want a change, they should leave the board? That makes no sense, seeing that there aren't 1000 other ready-to-go GB/GBC hacking boards around

That's the point. Which is why I said moving is pointless when things are fine as they are.

Trying to userp control and grab people over because something looks fresh seems rude and ill-mannered. People complain about lack of rules yet here they are advertising and trying to persuade others into joining another forum. From my knowledge, TH was oriignally left behind and later became Skeetendo(gathered from what I read here)and now the reverse is happening for no reason. You don't see too many GEN I&II rom hackers and most of them probably end up here. The potential's come here to learn like I did and then later become overwelmed. Those who actually want to learn something stay and that makes the community bigger. And activity and userbase has increased since the first time I joined the place. So to me Skeetendo seems to be growing more.

And now we have a group of users that are dis-pleased with how things are here and what something new, whilst in the process of advertising and trying to convert people over to the new cheery blossem feel. It's messed up especially since there has been a recent surge of interest in this type of rom hacking. Whether you are trying to divide the forum up or not, the fact remains that it will happen. Always has, and will continue to do so.

The people moving to the other forum are obviously not stating their most obvious secretive motives. But do what you want at the end of the day.

#145 2013-02-13 01:14:37

stag019
Idea Killer
Post 340/630

Just wanted to give a visual demonstration as to why board splitting always ends up as a bad thing.

Here is a chart showing the posts per day at board2 (formerly Acmlm's Board). Split 1 is when Jul broke off, and Split 2 is when Kafuka broke off. Each time, resulting in a dramatic decrease in the number of posts per day.

Sorry that the image is so big but that board's been around for 2186 days, and one time, they posted 1323 posts in one day (quite obviously near the beginning).

You can try to hide yourself in this world of pretend; when the paper's crumpled up, it can't be perfect again.

#146 2013-02-13 01:37:24

Vitharix
Post 195/396

If I may say so, I think this whole event is fucking ridiculous. Yes I have an account at TH, but I also have an account at PC. Doesn't mean anything as far as loyalties go. Just use the boards as you normally would.

#147 2013-02-13 01:42:32

Munchulax
Post 287/410

stag019 wrote:

Just wanted to give a visual demonstration as to why board splitting always ends up as a bad thing.

Who ever said that the board was splitting up?  No one ever said that they wouldn't update the status of their hacks here or that they were taking everything they've written and moving it to TH.  In my opinion, TH is kinda like a subsidiary of Skeetendo, and that it can almost act like a spam filter (sorry Mr. Magius if this sounds insulting) for Skeetendo in redirecting some of those annoying posts that pop up now and then.  It's just another place to go that you can use to publicize your hack.  For example, the AAI2 translation project has pages for showing progress and updates on RHDN, GBATemp, and The Court Records Forum.  They all receive the same updates around the same time, and it helps publicize the hack more because some people that only hang out on The Court Records Forum have never even heard about ROMs/ROM Hacks, let alone RHDN.  TH is just another way of promoting our hacks to the world, and if people that see hacks on TH become interested, they might even come over and register here on Skeetendo, and who knows?  Maybe that person would become quite the successful hacker.

And was that really necessary?

“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” ― Oscar Wilde

#148 2013-02-13 01:45:50

stag019
Idea Killer
Post 342/630

Everyone says this, every single time a board split.

"Oh I'll be active on both of them."

And some actually live up to that claim.

But only about 5% of them, if even.

#149 2013-02-13 01:47:45

tysonrss
Post 578/649

I'll probably pop in from time to time, I'm at too many forums as it is though, and I frequent this one.

#150 2013-02-13 01:53:44

Vitharix
Post 196/396

I'm revising my stance. In my last visit to TH, I can see that the, ah, pedigree of the posts, shall we say, is consistent (and this isn't meant as a slight to Mr Magius) to what has been seemingly tolerated through gritted teeth, here. I feel as if every post has a purpose here and is not just for casual banter. That's where this board can improve, if we can allow that to be drawn away from the more important topics and posts. THIS is where the positive change will be.

Board footer