Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#101 2013-02-09 23:27:07

emaj30
Post 240/463
Website

Re: What happened to Twilight Hacking?

w0w! TH have taken off! I should see it for myself:) Anyways, despite of some argument or contrasting ideas, TH's reboot prevail huh, I hope everything will be fine from now on for TH as well as for Skeetendo too of course.

Last edited by emaj30 (2013-02-09 23:28:59)

#102 2013-02-11 02:14:35

Mateo
Post 2,296/3,568

I'm currently linking to it in my sig on PC (by linking to some of my hack threads there). I've also shared a link to it on Facebook via a fanpage, and described what it was for while inviting people to come help the community grow.

#103 2013-02-11 09:24:58

emaj30
Post 246/463
Website

Mateo wrote:

I'm currently linking to it in my sig on PC (by linking to some of my hack threads there). I've also shared a link to it on Facebook via a fanpage, and described what it was for while inviting people to come help the community grow.

Great idea mate!

#104 2013-02-12 02:40:50

Mr. Magius
Post 38/45

Definitely needs some publicity :) I haven't actually 'unveiled' TH yet (as in announced it to everyone) so everyone here is the first to know.
If you know anyone who'd be interested in joining, I'd appreciate if you brought 'em in. The more active posters the better, of course.

baah

#105 2013-02-12 04:18:54

stag019
Idea Killer
Post 326/630

There isn't any.

That's the point.

You can try to hide yourself in this world of pretend; when the paper's crumpled up, it can't be perfect again.

#106 2013-02-12 04:35:34

Munchulax
Post 280/410

There really isn't an "advantage" to using Twilight Hacking instead of Skeetendo.  Twilight Hacking is more of a showcase for custom graphics and hacks, and Skeetendo is more of a place to go for information on hacking the games instead.

Mr. Magius wrote:

TH's focus is to concentrate on more of the creative aspect of ROM hacking rather than the technical, for the most part

Mateo (Modified Post) wrote:

This forum can become a repository of documentation while the discussion of hacks themselves and tools and the like can be migrated to Twilight Hacking. That way the people who are primarily players can interact and discuss the games with themselves and the creators from a player standpoint, and the developers/researchers can discuss from that viewpoint without the confusion and disorganization that the overlap sometimes causes.

Last edited by Munchulax (2013-02-12 04:36:58)

“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” ― Oscar Wilde

#107 2013-02-12 04:39:54

Mateo
Post 2,300/3,568

You have a different staff in charge of running the site. You will eventually have a different community, too, where the focus is on developing and playing the hacks while this one seems to be moving toward more of a focus on becoming a repository of documentation (Aka: a resource as opposed to a showcase). You also don't have an "IRC crowd" on that community, because the IRC crowd thinks it is pointless to have a second community.EDIT: A lot of people who are part of "the IRC crowd" seem to be opposed to the idea, last time I checked.

Last edited by Mateo (2013-02-12 04:43:46)

#108 2013-02-12 04:41:41

stag019
Idea Killer
Post 329/630

Mateo wrote:

You have a different staff in charge of running the site. You will eventually have a different community, too, where the focus is on developing and playing the hacks while this one seems to be moving toward more of a focus on becoming a repository of documentation (Aka: a resource as opposed to a showcase). You also don't have an "IRC crowd" on that community, because the IRC crowd thinks it is pointless to have a second community.

Speak for... everyone there but me and iimarckus.

Last edited by stag019 (2013-02-12 04:41:52)

You can try to hide yourself in this world of pretend; when the paper's crumpled up, it can't be perfect again.

#109 2013-02-12 04:44:19

Mateo
Post 2,301/3,568

Edited my post.

#110 2013-02-12 04:47:17

stag019
Idea Killer
Post 330/630

Also, you can fix that.

It's my channel. And anyone wanting to talk more about the gaming and hacking aspect of it rather than the programming aspect is just as much, if not more welcome than the others. tysonrss and FroggestSpirit have been frequenting the IRC a lot lately, and you should come back. Start inviting other people too. Make the IRC as broad as the board.

#111 2013-02-12 05:00:56

Mateo
Post 2,302/3,568

I just remember not enjoying my experience the few times that I went, so I've been reluctant to come back. I remember that the times I went the conversation consisted of:

1) You and I trolling.
2) A discussion involving Lin and whether or not his assembly editor was a good idea, and also a brief but heated discussion between Kanzure and me regarding where or not this forum was "useless" because "nobody there is a programmer."
3) Sanqui constantly insisting he was going to school, but never seeming to actually be going anywhere.
4) A discussion about US Politics that I had no interest in.
5) A rather confusing conversation where nobody could seem to agree with each other about the best way for me to go about installing the tools and setting up a fork of Pokecrystal, including whether or not I should install it on Windows or wait until the next day and just get my Linux machine out of the office and set it up on that.

So I guess it was a mixture of the good, the boring, and the ugly. I know I didn't come by that many times, so I'm sure its possible that I didn't get a fair sample of what the chat is usually like. I might come back eventually, but right now its not very high on my list of things to do (ranking somewhere below "stare blankly at my desktop wallpaper and contemplate what exactly it is that I'm doing with my life now that I've graduated with a degree in English Literature of all things.")

EDIT: I think the lasting feeling that stuck with me about the chat was a general "We don't want you here" vibe from Kanzure, and a general feeling that if I wasn't contributing to Pokecrystal I would have no point to be there anyway. Not saying this is accurate, but it was the feeling I came away from the experience with.

Last edited by Mateo (2013-02-12 05:05:21)

#112 2013-02-12 05:06:14

stag019
Idea Killer
Post 333/630

Mateo wrote:

I just remember not enjoying my experience the few times that I went, so I've been reluctant to come back. I remember that the times I went the conversation consisted of:

1) You and I trolling.
2) A discussion involving Lin and whether or not his assembly editor was a good idea, and also a brief but heated discussion between Kanzure and me regarding where or not this forum was "useless" because "nobody there is a programmer."
3) Sanqui constantly insisting he was going to school, but never seeming to actually be going anywhere.
4) A discussion about US Politics that I had no interest in.
5) A rather confusing conversation where nobody could seem to agree with each other about the best way for me to go about installing the tools and setting up a fork of Pokecrystal, including whether or not I should install it on Windows or wait until the next day and just get my Linux machine out of the office and set it up on that.

So I guess it was a mixture of the good, the boring, and the ugly. I know I didn't come by that many times, so I'm sure its possible that I didn't get a fair sample of what the chat is usually like. I might come back eventually, but right now its not very high on my list of things to do (ranking somewhere below "stare blankly at my desktop wallpaper and contemplate what exactly it is that I'm doing with my life now that I've graduated with a degree in English Literature of all things.")

True, but still, don't forget that IRC clients have an /ignore feature usually. How do you think I can stand padz or kanzure sometimes?

1. Yay fun.
2. kanzure is a jackass
3. That happens. Every day. Don't think that's not a fair sample of the IRC room, because it is.
4. We do randomly blab on about shit occasionally, but not usually. I don't feel any IRC channel should be forced to focus only on the topic at hand.
5. Yeah. pokered should be much easier to use than pokecrystal, because cygwin isn't a requirement anymore. But looking back on it, cygwin is a pain and therefore it probably would have been better to just use Linux. Probably.

Also, contemplation, it happens; but don't dwell.

#113 2013-02-12 05:10:15

Mateo
Post 2,303/3,568

@4

Oh yeah, I didn't mean that it needed to focus solely on a particular topic. I just really dislike political discussions. (To the extent that during November I left facebook for a while, so I could still like my friends after the election was over).

#114 2013-02-12 05:11:03

stag019
Idea Killer
Post 335/630

Mateo wrote:

@4

Oh yeah, I didn't mean that it needed to focus solely on a particular topic. I just really dislike political discussions. (To the extent that during November I left facebook for a while, so I could still like my friends after the election was over).

Oh trust me I do too.

Once again, you can choose when you do and don't want to be part of the discussion. I just ignore shit like that when I don't care

#115 2013-02-12 05:15:37

Mateo
Post 2,305/3,568

Perhaps I'll try it again with a real IRC client (I was using the mebbit last time) and making use of the /ignore command when needed. Probably won't be tonight, though.

#116 2013-02-12 05:18:05

stag019
Idea Killer
Post 337/630

Take your time.

But as I said, you should invite other like minded people as well.

#117 2013-02-12 06:21:27

Sanqui
Administrator
Post 24/32
Website

I think it's silly to elaborate on this, but when I say I'm going to school, all following messages are either sent from my phone (since it's convenient to chat on the tram), or I'm late (doesn't generally happen).  It's became an in-joke of sorts due to how my time zone differs.

And yeah, kanzure is slightly opinionated, but he's not actually a bad person, really!
Feel free to hang out sometime.

#118 2013-02-12 06:32:11

Mateo
Post 2,306/3,568

Sanqui wrote:

I think it's silly to elaborate on this, but when I say I'm going to school, all following messages are either sent from my phone (since it's convenient to chat on the tram), or I'm late (doesn't generally happen).  It's became an in-joke of sorts due to how my time zone differs.

And yeah, kanzure is slightly opinionated, but he's not actually a bad person, really!
Feel free to hang out sometime.

Haha no need to explain, I was always amused by your constant goings to school.

But I'll come back around eventually.

Last edited by Mateo (2013-02-12 06:32:35)

#119 2013-02-12 13:48:11

Miksy91
Post 1,513/2,338

I personally went expressing some of my opinions in a certain thread in TH.

To sum it up, what would be left here if all the "not-important" stuff would be moved to TH ? Guess what the answer is.

This forum was never intended to be a documentation section. If that really was the purpose of this board, it would be a better idea to transfer all the information we have around to a site like Datacrystal or similar.

Last edited by Miksy91 (2013-02-12 13:49:27)

#120 2013-02-12 20:29:08

Kuroko Aizawa
Post 293/499

Datacrystal is a wiki. This is a community, where others are free to learn and discuss new methods of hacking and implementation. I have no plans to move to Twilight Hacking, as I really don't see a point in showcasing my work there.

#121 2013-02-12 21:00:07

tysonrss
Post 572/649

The idea that one board should be used for documentation and the other for hacks is beyond preposterous.

What's the point of a board when it would have very little members? Everyone practically hacks 3rd gen games now because they're afraid of hex editors and doing things themselves. I think the current setup is somewhat just fine. Though I guess I would agree that the board should be about rom hacking than anything else. IIRC can be useful for those needing help, about 95% of the time someone will indeed help you there.

My point is that I don't see a need for unnecessary change. Things are find as it, why try to fix something that's not broken.

Last edited by tysonrss (2013-02-12 21:52:51)

Pokemon Blue DX is reborn!

#122 2013-02-12 22:29:16

Mr. Magius
Post 39/45

You're going nowhere with denouncing and condemning TH because it's supposed to be a crossover or a division between Skeetendo. It's not. That was an idea, and people can interpret it the way they want, but it's simply a new board with a fresh start, new faces and a different method of organisation and administration. I accepted the concept of TH being more community- and showcase-based so the conservatives wouldn't jump at the notion of "there are no advantages"... Of course there aren't any major advantages, OR disadvantages. Skeetendo, Stag's IRC channel (which I haven't been but would gladly visit), PokéCommunity, WAH, RHO, PHO, etc. etc... there are countless discussion boards about the same subject out there, but the niches differ ever so slightly that they'll attract a different mind.
Notice how there's a "Resources" forum at TH. You can choose if you want to put your documentation on either site.

Again, this isn't a crossover. I don't even like the idea of turning Skeetendo into a suppository for documentation--I don't have that power and it wouldn't be in anyone's interests. I don't plan on seeing people "migrate" from one forum to the other, or moving their documents, resources or miscellanous work to TH. No, the "unimportant" isn't going there... :P (Well, it'll be on both sites, lol) It's another board to visit and make your discussions. You can have the exact same discussions on MSN/Skype or your favourite message board, but the look, feel and niche is different. Even the smallest things like the theme or the layout can make the biggest difference to a new member.

I'm not taking away ANYTHING from this site. I'm giving people just another place to go (and some people don't like that, as I observe :P). Members who love to hack and showcase their work can display their hack on another site: here and there. That's good. I know it's stupid to think you'll have to go to 2 separate places for certain things, but it takes away certain clutter from this board. Skeetendo isn't the only site you visit, and it's not hard at all to check another small board, neither is it and "inconvenient."

I encourage whomever is interested to join TH and make yourselves at home. :)

Last edited by Mr. Magius (2013-02-12 22:31:59)

baah

#123 2013-02-12 22:35:14

tysonrss
Post 573/649

I just don't understand the point of TH at all, why so suddenly? Because the lack of administration?

If anything, I see a war under the guise of "peace", an attempt to run this place to the ground.

Pokemon Blue DX is reborn!

#124 2013-02-12 22:43:05

Mateo
Post 2,309/3,568

As I am largely responsible for this idea I would like to apologize to all involved for describing this as a migration and thereby trying to turn it into one. That being said, I have posted threads for my hacks there and I will update them there. I guess I'll delete my thread saying that my hacks have moved as well, so I don't come off as promoting a split. Do what you want to do. If you want to sign up for Twilight Hacking, go for it. If you like it, stick around. If you don't, you don't. I personally like it there so far, and I plan to stick around. As for everyone else, I'll stop posting things attempting to persuade people one way or the other (although I'll still advertise the forum like I do this one as well, with my signature at PokeCommunity).

So again, sorry for helping to cause problems here.

#125 2013-02-12 23:06:09

stag019
Idea Killer
Post 338/630

Mr. Magius wrote:

You're going nowhere with denouncing and condemning TH because it's supposed to be a crossover or a division between Skeetendo. It's not. That was an idea, and people can interpret it the way they want...

That's the problem. You keep explaining what TH is supposed to be, but everyone is interpreting it as something else. So which is it? Is it what you describe, or is it how we interpret it?

Mr. Magius wrote:

Skeetendo, Stag's IRC channel (which I haven't been but would gladly visit), PokéCommunity, *I don't know what any of the others are*, etc. etc... there are countless discussion boards about the same subject out there, but the niches differ ever so slightly that they'll attract a different mind.

There's differences here more than just "we're more based on hack and you're more based on documentation". PokéCommunity is a community based on the entirety of Pokemon. And that's a huge subject. The games, the anime, the trading card game, not to mention all the "general" forums I see on it. It doesn't just cover hacking.

Skeetendo covers a very narrow aspect that PokéCommunity also covers. Pokemon hacking for Generations I and II. The difference here is that, while PokéCommunity covers these, it's lumped together with all Pokemon hacking. And so therefore, it's overshadowed by hacks and documentation from Generation III. That's what makes this place valuable to those who preferred the first two generations over the third; had they posted documentation, a hack, or asked a question on PokéCommunity, they would have likely been ignored.

Now, for the difference between Skeetendo (message board) and #skeetendo (irc channel): There isn't any. There shouldn't be any (And I'm very sorry that there is). The concept though, is that IRC and message boards are two completely different media (think radio vs television), that we'd like to participate in both in order to reach as many people as possible. You see it all the time on the internet, every website has their own Facebook and Twitter these days (if Skeetendo gets either, I don't care, but will ignore their existance).

*insert concluding paragraph here*

Board footer