’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#76 2013-02-05 01:49:18

Mr. Magius
Post 31/45

Re: What happened to Twilight Hacking?

jwibagi wrote:
Mr. Magius wrote:

The only reason I'm re-opening Twilight Hacking is because I really want to. I want to get a close hacking community going of my own. I just want feedback so people don't absolutely hate me for opening something that doesn't "need" to be opened.

I don't/won't hate but..

Isn't this community close-knit enough already? Or maybe you meant to emphasize of my own.

* I like your avatar choice.

Honestly, as a member of many other communities, no. It might simply be the members' personalities or the layout of the forum or whatever it may be, but I don't feel it's very close-knit. I could be wrong. I'm always here and I sincerely don't see it.

And if you guys think it's some sort of selfish or weird dream I want to fulfill... lol, no. If you guys think that then it would be embarrassing to open.

Last edited by Mr. Magius (2013-02-05 01:50:14)

baah

#77 2013-02-05 02:06:32

stag019
Idea Killer
Post 309/630

Mr. Magius wrote:
jwibagi wrote:
Mr. Magius wrote:

The only reason I'm re-opening Twilight Hacking is because I really want to. I want to get a close hacking community going of my own. I just want feedback so people don't absolutely hate me for opening something that doesn't "need" to be opened.

I don't/won't hate but..

Isn't this community close-knit enough already? Or maybe you meant to emphasize of my own.

Honestly, as a member of many other communities, no. It might simply be the members' personalities or the layout of the forum or whatever it may be, but I don't feel it's very close-knit. I could be wrong. I'm always here and I sincerely don't see it.

And if you guys think it's some sort of selfish or weird dream I want to fulfill... lol, no. If you guys think that then it would be embarrassing to open.

It's more close knit on the irc too. If more people from this community used the irc channel, I feel we'd be closer.

It almost feels like there's two groups here though: the ircers and the philipenos. And I guess the rest of the hackers that aren't really as close.

As far as my opinion on having two boards, I'm against it. I feel each one would only make the other smaller. I would only like to see a new board if this one were closed (and properly archived). I do feel a reboot of this community would help.

Still want to see iimarckus's opinion though.

Sorry if this post seems disorganized or there are any errors, but I'm on my 3DS at work.

You can try to hide yourself in this world of pretend; when the paper's crumpled up, it can't be perfect again.

#78 2013-02-05 02:16:54

Mr. Magius
Post 32/45

stag019 wrote:
Mr. Magius wrote:
jwibagi wrote:

I don't/won't hate but..

It's more close knit on the irc too. If more people from this community used the irc channel, I feel we'd be closer.

It almost feels like there's two groups here though: the ircers and the philipenos. And I guess the rest of the hackers that aren't really as close.

As far as my opinion on having two boards, I'm against it. I feel each one would only make the other smaller. I would only like to see a new board if this one were closed (and properly archived). I do feel a reboot of this community would help.

Still want to see iimarckus's opinion though.

Sorry if this post seems disorganized or there are any errors, but I'm on my 3DS at work.

You bring up good points. :)

As you said, since it's so active on the IRC channel and there a lot of Filipinos, I feel that the members could be a lot more active simply as members of a hacking and creative community, rather than on a channel or an ethnic division. For those other hackers that aren't as close, I'd make an effort to bring them together.

I understand what you mean by 'having another board will make this one smaller,' but that wouldn't be the case, as I explained above. I'm also a member of another hacking community (focusing mainly on GBA though), but it isn't at all brought down by others out there... I would also be bringing some fresh new faces from that board. It's a totally separate community from other hacking boards with a different view on the community as a whole, as TH would be. This board is obviously great for documenting resources, as would any board.

All in all, when TH makes another attempt, it'll either succeed or fail. If it fails, screw it, I was wrong, and Skeetendo is the only GB/C hacking community that can exist. :P

Last edited by Mr. Magius (2013-02-05 02:18:36)

baah

#79 2013-02-05 08:27:42

Hat
Post 3/118

Mr. Magius wrote:

Oh, and hello Hat :)

Hello Mr. Magius :)

Perhaps if TH does go ahead then Mateo could agree to join the administration there. Just a suggestion.

#80 2013-02-05 12:51:51

Miksy91
Post 1,499/2,348

Only real critique I have to say about the plan behind revival of TH is that if it took place, documentation would be separated between two forums. Why let that happen? It's not like it would be something very serious but still, it would make things more disorganized.
If some document was only posted to TH and not here, jwibagi would have to keep updating that "Global FAQ and Resource Thread" to cover also all the documentation of TH not being posted in Skeetendo.

I see you (Mr. Magius) like the idea of starting to revive this old hacking forum (which I also used to be a part of, for a little while at least) but I don't know... I generally don't like the idea that much, simply because of that way documentation would be separated between two different places. If only things sections for user created hacks, tools, ideas, questions and help were put up there, I don't see any problem with doing that. But no, documentation shouldn't be posted there if it wasn't put up here as well.

#81 2013-02-05 19:54:29

Kuroko Aizawa
Post 285/501

I pretty much agree with Miksy, I don't see a point in two GB/C hacking forums. IIMarckus is doing fine managing this one from what I can see. The only thing that would come out of it is competition and disorganizing/separation of research.

#82 2013-02-05 20:11:58

Mr. Magius
Post 33/45

Hat wrote:
Mr. Magius wrote:

Perhaps if TH does go ahead then Mateo could agree to join the administration there. Just a suggestion.

I quite hope so :)

Miksy91 wrote:

Only real critique I have to say about the plan behind revival of TH is that if it took place, documentation would be separated between two forums. Why let that happen? It's not like it would be something very serious but still, it would make things more disorganized.
If some document was only posted to TH and not here, jwibagi would have to keep updating that "Global FAQ and Resource Thread" to cover also all the documentation of TH not being posted in Skeetendo.

I see you (Mr. Magius) like the idea of starting to revive this old hacking forum (which I also used to be a part of, for a little while at least) but I don't know... I generally don't like the idea that much, simply because of that way documentation would be separated between two different places. If only things sections for user created hacks, tools, ideas, questions and help were put up there, I don't see any problem with doing that. But no, documentation shouldn't be posted there if it wasn't put up here as well.

I don't see a problem with that. If you and everyone agrees, then documentation per se wouldn't be put there. My main interest is creating a good community of hacks, ideas, questions. Any documentation will just be posted here and linked from TH. Would you still be against it?

(By the way, what happened to the several posts that were posted after my previous one...? Forum malfunction? :P)

baah

#83 2013-02-05 21:06:47

Mateo
Post 2,268/3,631

Mr. Magius wrote:
Hat wrote:
Mr. Magius wrote:

I quite hope so :)

I would be happy to sign on as a moderator.

I am no longer active on this forum. I only pop in from time to time.

#84 2013-02-06 06:58:20

616/704

I’ve already discussed my views on Twilight Hacking. Basically, I think that without careful thought, it will lead to:

• forced duplication of content so people will see it

• content people don’t see because it's not duplicated

If you read the linked post, you’ll see me talk about the problem being that they would have the same niche. If this is to go anywhere, I think the important thing is for the boards to not have any overlap. Mateo once expressed to me a desire to create a community more focused on hacks and “idea discussion”‐style things than this one. Maybe that would be a good idea.

Miksy91 wrote:

I think this is a good post.

Mr. Magius wrote:

If you really feel the administration is lacking

If you really feel the administration is lacking, tell me—in IRC, or by email, or in a post. I can’t respond to people's concerns if they don’t talk to me, and it’s no fun being blindsided when people are unhappy.

#85 2013-02-06 07:15:07

Mateo
Post 2,272/3,631

I'm fine with this forum becoming a repository of documentation while the discussion of hacks themselves and tools and the like were migrated to another forum. That way the people who are primarily players can interact and discuss the games with themselves and the creators from a player standpoint, and the developers/researchers can discuss from that viewpoint without the confusion and disorganization that the overlap sometimes causes.

#86 2013-02-06 13:26:08

Mr. Magius
Post 35/45

IIMarckus wrote:

I’ve already discussed my views on Twilight Hacking. Basically, I think that without careful thought, it will lead to:

• forced duplication of content so people will see it

• content people don’t see because it's not duplicated

If you read the linked post, you’ll see me talk about the problem being that they would have the same niche. If this is to go anywhere, I think the important thing is for the boards to not have any overlap. Mateo once expressed to me a desire to create a community more focused on hacks and “idea discussion”‐style things than this one. Maybe that would be a good idea.

That idea sounds great to me (and was actually my basic idea). TH's focus is to concentrate on more of the creative aspect of ROM hacking rather than the technical, for the most part.

The outline of the board is pretty much how I like it. Visit the site [http://twilight-hacking.darkbb.com/] and tell me what you think of the layout. What do you think? Any forums I should add? You can also go ahead and register!
All I have to do is make some more visuals and it should be ready.

baah

#87 2013-02-06 14:49:33

Munchulax
Post 271/410

Not too crazy about the theme. I prefer themes that have some breathing space on each side (like Skeetendo's) compared to themes that go right up to the edge of the screen, but otherwise it looks good.

Last edited by Munchulax (2013-02-06 14:50:37)

“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” ― Oscar Wilde

#88 2013-02-06 15:33:08

Mateo
Post 2,273/3,631

I think it looks pretty good. I know you said we can go ahead and register, but when I clicked register it said "The Administrators have disabled new registrations." But yeah, it looks fine other than that.

#89 2013-02-06 17:41:45

Mr. Magius
Post 36/45

I edited it based on your feedback, and you can now register. Sorry about that.

baah

#90 2013-02-06 21:02:07

TheYena
Post 49/125
Website

Not sure if this counts as a stupid question or not, but what exactly is this "Twilight Hacking"? Some kind of website?

You know the glitches that exist in the Pokémon games?
Only the ones named "MISSINGNO." are Missingno.
The others are not. They are their own glitches with their own names.
Sorry, it's a... thing that bugs me a little.

#91 2013-02-06 21:20:40

Mateo
Post 2,274/3,631

TheYena wrote:

Not sure if this counts as a stupid question or not, but what exactly is this "Twilight Hacking"? Some kind of website?

A forum (like this one, or Pokécommunity) that used to exist, and several of the older members here were originally members of Twilight Hacking. Then when that closed down, we moved to Skeetendo (originally hosted by Proboards) then moved to the current forum here.

#92 2013-02-07 02:49:33

Danny-E 33
Administrator
Post 413/1,149

I'm not able to post new topics. Is that on purpose?

EDIT: Derp, it logged me out. Nevermind :P

Last edited by Danny-E 33 (2013-02-07 03:03:20)

#93 2013-02-07 04:54:22

Mateo
Post 2,281/3,631

Odd, it tells me "Mateo" is already taken when I try to register. So I just registered with my Twitter name, TheRealMateo. Close enough. Haha.

#94 2013-02-07 04:59:29

Arceus
Post 190/249

Mateo wrote:

Odd, it tells me "Mateo" is already taken when I try to register. So I just registered with my Twitter name, TheRealMateo. Close enough. Haha.

Huh? Why is that?

#95 2013-02-07 05:03:36

Munchulax
Post 272/410

Mateo wrote:

It also says on the Twilight Hacking homepage that "Our users have posted a total of 2 messages" but if you look at Mr. Magius profile it says "Posts: 32" :D. 

Perhaps the website still has some leftovers from when it was running in 2008?

Last edited by Munchulax (2013-02-07 05:04:04)

“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” ― Oscar Wilde

#96 2013-02-07 05:09:44

Mateo
Post 2,282/3,631

Arceus wrote:
Mateo wrote:

Huh? Why is that?

Why does it say it is taken, or why is that my Twitter username? lol

Munchulax wrote:

It also says on the Twilight Hacking homepage that "Our users have posted a total of 2 messages" but if you look at Mr. Magius profile it says "Posts: 32" :D.

Perhaps the website still has some leftovers from when it was running in 2008?

Doubtful, it looks like a new start instead of just re-activating the old board. But since everything was deleted from the original, who knows? Oh well, I got in either way. Haha.

#97 2013-02-07 17:25:46

Danny-E 33
Administrator
Post 414/1,149

Mateo wrote:

Doubtful, it looks like a new start instead of just re-activating the old board. But since everything was deleted from the original, who knows? Oh well, I got in either way. Haha.

I don't know about that. On the homepage, it says the highest number of users was 12 in 2009 or something like that.

#98 2013-02-07 18:11:07

Mateo
Post 2,283/3,631

Oh well in that case, it probably is a reboot of the old board. I know all the users except Mr. Magius had been deleted when it went down last time, so that would explain the higher users online in the past and his paradoxical post count. Still not sure why it said my username was taken when it wasn't in the list of users though. Who knows.

#99 2013-02-07 22:07:28

Mr. Magius
Post 37/45

It IS a reboot of the old board. My other hosts failed as some of you know, so why not.
I honestly have no idea why you couldn't choose your name. I changed your name to Mateo (I didn't have a problem in terms of availability), so hope you don't mind.

If anyone has any problems (e.g., your username is taken when it's not in the memberlist; glitches or oddities) post it in this thread or make a thread there! :)

Last edited by Mr. Magius (2013-02-07 22:07:54)

baah

#100 2013-02-07 22:11:56

Mateo
Post 2,284/3,631

Thanks!

Board footer