Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#126 2016-09-03 03:09:22

ShinyTotodile
Post 5/14

Re: Pokémon Polished Crystal 2.2.0

I've been following this project on github for a very long time, and it's really come a long ways (It's also taught me a whole lout about Pokecrystal from following the changes)! The nuzlocke addition is really impressive, I don't think I've seen that added in any other romhack. Do you have any other major plans for all this extra space? Have you considered adding some of the Pokemon Yellow features, like the Surfing Pikachu minigame, or the Following Pikachu?

This project has been great to watch, and I'm always excited to see whats added next!

#127 2016-09-03 04:07:47

Rangi
Administrator
Post 150/984

There's at least one other hack that specifically exists for Nuzlocke runs! (Red) Blood and (Blue) Tears adds the essential features, and it's where I got the idea. It sounds like it was more work to add to Pokémon Red. The "biggest to code" part, single-encounter locations, basically takes one line with pokecrystal, "flag_array NUM_LOCATIONS". (Seriously, assembly language with macros is in some ways better than C.)

I don't have any plans for totally new features... yet. My initial goal was to just add more of the same types of things Crystal already had: Pokémon, trainers, moves, items, maps. So many things were removed from RBY Kanto, or added to HGSS Johto, that I wanted to recreate.

I'm definitely more open to adding original content and high-effort features now that the hack has evolved. Following Pokémon would be neat, but I don't have walking sprites for all 253 Pokémon, only front views. Seeing that behind you would look kind of weird. Still, it's a possibility. I'd also kind of like to add back the Safari game, or Honey trees from Gen 4, or an unused Game Corner card game in the GSC code. I'm not directly working on any of those yet, so they don't have a planned release date, they're just ideas.

Most of the non-spoiler upcoming 2.0 changes are listed on GitHub. After that, besides bugfixes and tweaks, probably the next major features I'll add are custom locations and associated events. Mateo and I were talking about a hypothetical game set years after GSC, and had some ideas for new places in Johto and Kanto that would also work in Polished Crystal. (Ideally I'd add the Orange Islands, but that's a huge project requiring a lot of original content. Maybe the Sevii Islands, though, long-term?)

Last edited by Rangi (2016-09-03 04:15:11)

#128 2016-09-03 04:22:49

Mmmmmm
Post 88/261

Rangi wrote:

I'd also kind of like to add back the Safari game

I am 100% in favor of this, I love the Safari Game, it's just not a real Safari Zone without the game. fuck ORAS for removing it Have you considered adding Voltorb Flip? I know there are two different versions ported to pokecrystal (the version used in Crystal Complete and the version used in TPPAC) but I don't know if either of the versions are bug-free enough to meet your standards.

#129 2016-09-03 04:28:59

Rangi
Administrator
Post 152/984

Have you considered adding Voltorb Flip? I know there are two different versions ported to pokecrystal (the version used in Crystal Complete and the version used in TPPAC)

That might be the unused card game I'm talking about. I didn't know two different projects had already done that. Do you know what bugs they still have? Like graphical glitches, or crashing the game if you do X Y and Z?

Edit: Yeah, TPP's voltorb_flip.asm looks very similar to Crystal's unused card_flip.asm. I'm not going to let this delay 2.0, but maybe in 2.1...

(Any suggestions for a new feature that hasn't been done? Following Pokémon might not be too complicated, I'll look into it for 2.1. I'd like to add Abilities, but that's a major project in itself. Natures could be doable as well. Alternatively, anything else they've added that's sorely missing from Polished Crystal? Things like AJ/Baba/etc or the music player are their signature features, but then there's stuff like the Fairy type that's practically a requirement for hacks.)

Last edited by Rangi (2016-09-03 04:40:06)

#130 2016-09-03 05:02:51

Mmmmmm
Post 89/261

Rangi wrote:

Do you know what bugs they still have? Like graphical glitches, or crashing the game if you do X Y and Z?

Only thing I can think of is TPPAC's version would throw up a few glitch graphics upon clearing a level at me after I caught all 251 and beat the true final boss, but it never happened before that (unless it was an earlier trigger that caused it that I just didn't notice due to not playing Voltorb Flip in that game between said trigger and beating the final boss) and it's goes away after the next round starts.

RurtNfK.png

TPPAC and Crystal Complete have different mechanics, though, so if you want to port one directly consider that. CC's Voltorb Flip is more accurate to HGSS, with no cost to play, four different markers (1, 2, 3, and voltorb) that you choose by holding a button and moving the D-Pad, and most notably HGSS's rank system, where the number of ranks you drop, if you drop at all, is based on how many number cards you've flipped. TPPAC, by contrast, costs three coins to play (which isn't an issue with how much Voltorb Flip pays out), has just one all-purpose marker to mark cards, and has you only drop one level when you lose a round instead of basing it on your performance in the previous round. There are probably proponents and opponents of either of these design choices for each.

And the unused card game in GSC is a memory match game, rather than Voltorb Flip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs5NnbiOB8o

EDIT: I'd love to see Natures and Abilities in a hack, but I think they'd be better off coupled with another big data change like expanding the Pokémon indexes and move indexes to two-bytes each. It feels like something you would spend a lot of time on as a standalone patch with nothing else done, like how Shantytown made an individual project to expand Red's dex, that he'll probably use with Maize of course, but overall it seems like something you'd make as a second project rather than something made just for Polished Crystal, due to its sheer scale (plus you have to think of how many bugs abilities might cause by itself; testing it in an otherwise unmodified base seems like less effort than trying to bugtest it with all the other potential bugs with a full ROMhack. Just some huge standalone project aimed at completely restructuring GSC's Pokémon data, probably optimizing it in the process since GSC's Pokémon data is a kind of sloppy edit of RBY's data.

Last edited by Mmmmmm (2016-09-03 05:12:58)

#131 2016-09-03 05:50:50

Rangi
Administrator
Post 153/984

That's interesting, thanks. It sounds like Crystal Complete's  implementation is a custom attempt to imitate HGSS, whereas TPP's at least started as card_flip.asm (that's where they got the three-coin cost from, among other code details).

Anyway, I don't want to copy their code wholesale nor reinvent the wheel, so I'll see if the memory game is fun and non-buggy enough to restore. (Playing something like it with actual cards used to be fun, at least.)

My rough plan for Natures is to replace one of the Poké Seer's data bytes. The current structure is:

• time: 2 bits (1=morn, 2=day, 3=nite)
• level: 6 bits (1-63, incorrect for 64-100)
• OT gender: 1 bit (0=male, 1=female)

The caught level is the obvious one to overwrite since (a) it's inherently buggy and (b) 5 of its 6 bits is enough for 25 natures, which even leaves a free bit for something else. (Should I decouple shininess from IVs, or gender?) (The unused byte is unusable because it's not stored in the PC.)

A bigger change would be to add more bytes, for things like six 5-bit IVs instead of four 4-bit ones, or decoupling shininess and gender, or storing the type of Poké Ball. But that's getting into the same territory as expanding the IDs to two bytes: cool but not an immediate plan.

Abilities would definitely be a bigger change, but I still think I'd develop it in a branch of Polished Crystal. That way they can take into account changes like the Physical/Special split, Fairy types, and various battle code edits made while I was adding new moves. The downside is that there'd be no Crystal+Abilities ROM base for people to use, but I basically abandoned that possibility already. Various Polished Crystal changes like lowercase text and some new gen mechanics could have been isolated and released as the Gen II equivalent of MrDollSteak's FireRed base. Others, like the custom maps and particular choices of new moves and Pokémon, are too specific to this game. And then I made gratuitous compatibility-breaking changes like reorganizing the item constants—but just look at that categorization, isn't it worth it? ;)

Last edited by Rangi (2016-09-03 06:01:17)

#132 2016-09-03 06:00:29

Rangi
Administrator
Post 154/984

Also, question for everyone: if you'd like to be in the Battle Tower, what's your trainer class and name? I'm adding trainers of the new classes anyway.

#133 2016-09-03 09:00:47

Pokemaster
Post 18/40

What about the news machine in the goldernod poke-centre have you planned to do something with it in the upcomming or future updates.

#134 2016-09-03 09:42:56

Hitesh patel
Post 36/59

put my name in that battle factory .

hiteshpatel

#135 2016-09-03 12:09:24

Ammako
Post 43/158

I see a Breeder trainer class, what's the sprite look like for it?
(Waiting until a later, more-complete version before I really play, so I've not been able to see it in-game.)

#136 2016-09-03 13:59:32

metalflygon08
Post 10/62

Hiker Marc

If tbat's an option

Also I finally got a chance to play the current version and I noted a few things 

There are a LOT of fire types right around National Park, like a whole bunch all of the sudden. Maybe swap in some other Pokemon?

Bells proud has a terrible level up learns etc, it has to have Vine Whip and Wrap and that's it? I have a level 25 Weepingbell and Acid is the only offensive move it'seems tried learning since then.

Maybe make Silver Leaves easier to come back? I have not found any and I used the item finder all over Iles Forest.

Maybe adjust the level up moves of the Eeveelution? I chose Leafeon and the fact I can't get a grass move until pretty late bites, but is manageable, but then it ends up being Giga Drain and I'must suddenly sweeping everything, maybe have Razor Leaf instead?

Maybe change the Pokemon of the gate lady by ibex forest from Persian to something else? We see another Persian right up in National Park.

Buff the levels in Ilex Forest a tiny bit, it's strange to jump right back down to level 5 stuff.

The gate lady in Iles Forest gives you the TM for False Swipe, but you can also buy the TM for false swipe in the department store iirc, is that rather redundant with unlimited TMs now?

#137 2016-09-03 16:42:45

ShinyTotodile
Post 6/14

Wasn't aware of the Red Nuzlocke game, neat! Anyways, this Voltorb Flip/Memory game stuff is looking interesting!

On the following Pokemon, if you were to implement it like in Pokemon Yellow (with Pokemon portraits), it doesn't look too terribly difficult to make the sprites, as opposed to time consuming, since most of the portraits are just variations of a single sprite. If you were interested in going that direction, I'd be up for making sprites for ya.

imQAzNw.png

Last edited by ShinyTotodile (2016-09-03 16:47:07)

#138 2016-09-03 17:57:01

Rangi
Administrator
Post 155/984

What about the news machine in the goldernod poke-centre have you planned to do something with it in the upcomming or future updates.

I'm really not sure what to do with it. After I removed the Mystery Gift code from the ROM, I was considering some kind of faux Mystery Gift Machine, getting random items daily; but I don't really like the idea. (I did change the girl in Goldenrod Dept. Store who enables Mystery Gift so that she gives you a random Berry daily.)

I see a Breeder trainer class, what's the sprite look like for it?

The FR/LG one.

There are a LOT of fire types right around National Park, like a whole bunch all of the sudden. Maybe swap in some other Pokemon?

Mmmmmm noticed the same problem. It's been changed.

Bells proud has a terrible level up learns etc, it has to have Vine Whip and Wrap and that's it? I have a level 25 Weepingbell and Acid is the only offensive move it'seems tried learning since then.

Yeah, I copied movesets from OR/AS and mostly changed them to compensate for missing moves. It learns Razor Leaf at level 39, compared to Chikorita at level 6 (which I see as okay compensation for the least good starter) and Oddish's Mega Drain at level 19. I'll edit this.

Maybe make Silver Leaves easier to come back? I have not found any and I used the item finder all over Iles Forest.

In 2.0 there are two hidden ones, versus one in 1.1.2, and 50% of Oddish will hold them.

Maybe adjust the level up moves of the Eeveelution? I chose Leafeon and the fact I can't get a grass move until pretty late bites, but is manageable, but then it ends up being Giga Drain and I'must suddenly sweeping everything, maybe have Razor Leaf instead?

Another OR/AS moveset issue, made worse by missing moves like Magical Leaf. Glaceon has the same problem. I've adjusted them both.

Maybe change the Pokemon of the gate lady by ibex forest from Persian to something else? We see another Persian right up in National Park.

Good idea.

Buff the levels in Ilex Forest a tiny bit, it's strange to jump right back down to level 5 stuff.

*checks level curve spreadsheet* Wild Pokémon on Route 33 are levels 6–7, Slowpoke Well is 5–8, and Ilex Forest is in line with them at 5–7, but then Route 34 after them jumps up to 10–12. You're right, a 2-level bump would work.

The gate lady in Iles Forest gives you the TM for False Swipe, but you can also buy the TM for false swipe in the department store iirc, is that rather redundant with unlimited TMs now?

You're not the first to notice this either. 2.0 will have one way to get each TM. Part of the fix is that the Dept. Stores each sell four unique TMs and four shared ones, and some boss trainers like Lorelei and Agatha who were just there as cameos will now give you TMs.

On the following Pokemon, if you were to implement it like in Pokemon Yellow (with Pokemon portraits), it doesn't look too terribly difficult to make the sprites, as opposed to time consuming, since most of the portraits are just variations of a single sprite. If you were interested in going that direction, I'd be up for making sprites for ya.

I wasn't even considering portraits, just emotes (the Yellow ones are already in the data) and a few of the messages from HG/SS. Thank you very much for offering to do sprites, but I think I'd make this feature like HG/SS when/if I do get around to it.

#139 2016-09-03 18:06:31

Luna
Post 3,374/3,665

Rangi wrote:

I'm really not sure what to do with it. After I removed the Mystery Gift code from the ROM, I was considering some kind of faux Mystery Gift Machine, getting random items daily; but I don't really like the idea. (I did change the girl in Goldenrod Dept. Store who enables Mystery Gift so that she gives you a random Berry daily.)

What I did in Pokémon Christmas was to change the girl who originally enabled Mystery Gift so that you can just use an offline clone of Mystery Gift with her every day. It doesn't change the trainer house the way Mystery Gifting with "her" via Pokemon Stadium 2 did, but it allows you to get items the same way you could through Mystery Gift, and it was only available once a day the same way it normally was. I know that's basically the same as a Mystery Gift Machine which you don't like, but I felt like having you interact with another NPC would make it feel more like an actual Mystery Gift. The item list itself was inspired by both the traditional Mystery Gift list as well as some of the items that Zigzagoon and Linoone can "Pickup" in Christmas as well.

I am not very active on this forum. I only pop in from time to time.

#140 2016-09-03 18:54:44

Rangi
Administrator
Post 156/984

Fruit trees now randomly give 1, 2, or 3 Berries:

afpDzXh.png

What I did in Pokémon Christmas was to change the girl who originally enabled Mystery Gift so that you can just use an offline clone of Mystery Gift with her every day.

I see Mystery Gift as a way to get otherwise unobtainable items, like Stones and decorations. But all of those have their own methods now. Bill's grandpa and various phone-call trainers let you get a few Stones in Johto, and once you reach Celadon you can buy them. And all the decorations are available throughout the game.

Maybe I'll just put a message like "Hey, it's the GitHub server", lol.

#141 2016-09-04 00:22:44

Ammako
Post 44/158

If you want to, you can put me in as Pokémon Breeder.
(If Ammako sticks out too much as a name compared to the others, you can use Ammy instead.)

Never really commented on it yet I don't think, but you seem to be doing a really good job at making Crystal better; shaping up to be the definitive Gen. II game to play.
Waiting until a later, more complete version before I play, though, because for a game like Pokémon I don't really like having to start over from the beginning when major updates are released that break save files :s sorry
Sounds like you've got plenty of people playing the current versions to report problems and balance issues, at least.

Last edited by Ammako (2016-09-04 00:30:30)

#142 2016-09-04 02:09:56

Rangi
Administrator
Post 157/984

I'm not sure if everyone noticed how the Fighting Dojo works, so I added a daily schedule on the wall. Which is especially helpful since there are now five unlockable trainers beyond the 16 Gym Leaders. ;)

VzICFuH.png

#143 2016-09-04 03:19:25

Pokemaster
Post 19/40

Can you also put which time of day they will appear during days i get confused about when they will appear i go check in the morning and afternoon and at last they appear at night.

#144 2016-09-04 08:05:38

Mmmmmm
Post 90/261

Alright, so I took the time to play through more of the hack, and here are some things I've noticed.

One really big thing I want to comment on is the roadblocks in Kanto. You added new roadblocks between Saffron to Celadon and Saffron to Lavender, and I'm fine with them being there, but I noticed you can easily bypass both of them by going through the Rock Tunnel to Lavender, then going down to Fuschia and up to Celadon via Cycling Road. If you do this, you can also get stuck in the Snorlax due to it being on top of the route connection (though you can also walk out just fine).

t131hWT.png

In Fuschia, there are multiple NPCs, like a man in the Pokémart, who claim the Safari Zone is closed, while others say it's open (since it's open).

The guard at the Fuschia-Cycling Road gate talks in all caps like a signpost.
hrGCast.png

The Poliwrath in Celadon uses your own sprite.
hjANVj1.png

This is an issue I've noticed the entire game but haven't brought up until now; a lot of routes have some pretty bland night encounters. I notice Route 45 is like 95% Geodude and Graveller at night, and I feel like I've ran into the same 5-6 Pokémon in the wild in all of Kanto so far while playing at night.

This isn't so much a bad thing as just an odd choice, I noticed I've found three separate Mystic Water and three separate Quick Claw in my playthrough so far.

The Hikers in Route 9 will sometimes turn into the player sprite and the Bird Keepers on Route 13(?) will sometimes turn into Entei, but I think both of these have already been reported before. One thing I haven't seen reported is Zapdos also appears as your trainer after you clear the Power Plant.
3VJC0Bq.png

On the subject of Route 12-15, have you considered restoring it? It's not a secret that its original version was cut down heavily in GSC but I've never seen a Gen 2 hack that gives it its Gen 1 length.

EDIT: And on the subject of Battle Tower NPCs, a Dragon Tamer named Zeke would be cool.

Last edited by Mmmmmm (2016-09-04 08:11:26)

#145 2016-09-04 08:33:23

Rangi
Administrator
Post 158/984

Can you also put which time of day they will appear during days i get confused about when they will appear i go check in the morning and afternoon and at last they appear at night.

They're basically in morning/day/night order, with some being there at multiple times.

I noticed you can easily bypass both of them by going through the Rock Tunnel to Lavender, then going down to Fuschia and up to Celadon via Cycling Road.

That's okay, since you have to go through Vermilion → Saffron → Cerulean → Rock Tunnel first, which encourages you to battle the Gyms along the way and fix the Power Plant as soon as you get there.

Kanto has too many possible routes for me to bother railroading the player entirely: you can go east to Fuchsia, west to Celadon, or through Diglett's Cave to Pewter right after you fix the power and get the Poké Flute. Eventually I'll add a third Trainer Card page with the Kanto badges in the "proper" order (Surge, Sabrina, Misty, Erika, Janine, Brock, Blaine, Blue) as a hint about difficulty.

And the Snorlax has been fixed.

In Fuschia, there are multiple NPCs, like a man in the Pokémart, who claim the Safari Zone is closed, while others say it's open (since it's open).

They say the Game is closed because it is, but the Safari Zone's land is still accessible.

The guard at the Fuschia-Cycling Road gate talks in all caps like a signpost.

Haha, that was in the original. I guess it was meant to be a sign at first. Fixed, thanks.

The Poliwrath, Zapdos, Hiker, and Bird Keeper sprite issues were all fixed at some point. That involved adding a gatehouse to Route 12 and slightly lengthening it, which for consistency also meant lengthening the sea route below Pallet Town so the maps all tile nicely.

Adjusting all the map object coordinates, not to mention the map connections, and keeping them all tilable, is kind of a pain. So although I will restore the large Kanto maps at some point, it won't be in 2.0.

This isn't so much a bad thing as just an odd choice, I noticed I've found three separate Mystic Water and three separate Quick Claw in my playthrough so far.

Interesting. Those Mystic Water are all from the original games: the Cherrygrove one from G/S, the Ruins of Alph chamber one from Crystal, and the Route 48 one from HG/SS. Same goes for the Quick Claws in National Park and Route 47, although the Safari Zone one was mine. I could change a couple of those; maybe a different type booster on Route 48 and some generic Max Potion in the Safari Zone.

a lot of routes have some pretty bland night encounters. I notice Route 45 is like 95% Geodude and Graveller at night, and I feel like I've ran into the same 5-6 Pokémon in the wild in all of Kanto so far while playing at night.

Hmm. I think that's partly because GSC Kanto was an afterthought, and partly because I got rid of Spearow and Goldeen. I'll look into diversifying this, but it may have to wait for 2.0.1. I want to get 2.0 out soon, and fine-tuning levels and wild species is a save-compatible change that will benefit from feedback anyway. Plus I could spend way too much time spreadsheeting the whole thing. :P

Thank you again for being so detail-oriented. Although I keep looking at your screenshots and thinking "Yeah, that's fixed in 2.0... the trainers there are better in the new version... you're missing a neat new event in the Power Plant..." So I hope you're not getting bored by it.

#146 2016-09-04 14:50:31

metalflygon08
Post 11/62

For the night Encounter issue, might I suggest

Houndour, Misdreavus, Gligar, Teddiursa, Hoothoot, Murkrow, and Wooper families, they are usually associated with the night and add enough variety to areas

Last edited by metalflygon08 (2016-09-04 14:50:54)

#147 2016-09-04 19:41:09

Rangi
Administrator
Post 159/984

So it turns out that 80% of the code for a third Trainer Card page was already there, unused. Here's the new Kanto badge page, hinting at the intended Gym order:

aTy4bRQ.png

#148 2016-09-04 21:54:41

Mmmmmm
Post 91/261

Rangi wrote:

Thank you again for being so detail-oriented. Although I keep looking at your screenshots and thinking "Yeah, that's fixed in 2.0... the trainers there are better in the new version... you're missing a neat new event in the Power Plant..." So I hope you're not getting bored by it.

It's no trouble. I knew the hack would be relatively unpolished basic compared to later versions, but I want to make sure I finish this version before 2.0.0 comes out that way I can try to give as much feedback as I can without restarting the game. If some of my criticisms have already been addressed in later versions that's nothing but good. I'm probably going to wait until you release 2.0's "long-term" update that's meant to hold until 3.0, like how Mateo is planning on releasing 2.4 and that being the "long-term" update before 3.0, before doing a second playthrough so you have time to address any and all issues with 1.x.

Rangi wrote:

Kanto has too many possible routes for me to bother railroading the player entirely: you can go east to Fuchsia, west to Celadon, or through Diglett's Cave to Pewter right after you fix the power and get the Poké Flute. Eventually I'll add a third Trainer Card page with the Kanto badges in the "proper" order (Surge, Sabrina, Misty, Erika, Janine, Brock, Blaine, Blue) as a hint about difficulty.

That's fair, I can appreciate guiding the player without outright railroading them, I just wasn't sure if it was intentional or a mistake that you could bypass them.

Rangi wrote:

They say the Game is closed because it is, but the Safari Zone's land is still accessible.

The Pokémart NPC specifically says the Zone is closed, but I suppose he could just mean the tourist part of the Zone is closed. I'd still change that specific line of dialogue at least, though it's not a big deal.

As for new things, I found a bug with the Pokédex where, if you press Right on the area map in Kanto, it takes you to a nonexistent third map.

cUnjmSL.png

The Trainer House layout was changed, but your path to Cal/whomever your opponent is wasn't, causing you to walk through walls to get to him.

ic0zeu5.png

I also saw the male swimmers on the sea routes south of Pallet turning into Lapras, but you may have fixed that already.

#149 2016-09-04 23:04:40

Luna
Post 3,375/3,665

I know that there is some leftover code for part of the Safari Game still in Crystal's code. The menu options are untranslated and the menus are unreferenced. I still haven't looked into it fully enough to know how annoying it will be to re-enable, though. I keep getting distracted when I go to look into it for someone else on the forums (between my own hacks, moving house, not having internet for a while, and working, it's been slipping my mind a lot) but yeah, something you will want to look into. My apologies if I accidentally missed where you mentioned this already.

I am not very active on this forum. I only pop in from time to time.

#150 2016-09-04 23:40:03

Rangi
Administrator
Post 160/984

I want to make sure I finish this version before 2.0.0 comes out that way I can try to give as much feedback as I can without restarting the game.

Thanks! It should be out this week. Here's what's left to do:

• Revise the Silver Wing event
• Write dialog for one more trainer
• Add more Battle Tower trainers and Pokémon
• Fix Gold Berry to heal 25%, not 30 HP
• Adjust Kanto levels

And if time permits:

• Add sprites for Surfing and Flying Pikachu
• Extend Kanto's sea routes and add more trainers

Two other features, a Giovanni event and Pokémon portraits when using HM moves, will have to wait for 2.0.1.

By the way, the very end of the game is a bit more dramatic in 2.0, just so you know.

The Pokémart NPC specifically says the Zone is closed, but I suppose he could just mean the tourist part of the Zone is closed.

I can't find this guy. The Mart one says "I was hoping to buy some Safari Zone souvenirs, but they're not being sold any more…" Maybe I changed it.

As for new things, I found a bug with the Pokédex where, if you press Right on the area map in Kanto, it takes you to a nonexistent third map.

The bugs keep getting weirder… So, I thought the Pokédex only showed locations in Johto, so I changed it to use whatever region you're in. Turns out it did support both, but Kanto only shows up when you press Right after entering the Hall of Fame. My debugging never covered that, since I turn on EVENT_BEAT_ELITE_FOUR but don't create a HoF entry. Fixed now.

The Trainer House layout was changed, but your path to Cal/whomever your opponent is wasn't, causing you to walk through walls to get to him.

Yeah, this was fixed when I moved the right-side trainers back to Viridian Gym.

I also saw the male swimmers on the sea routes south of Pallet turning into Lapras

It's not happening now, but I'm at the limit of most maps' sprite capacity, so wouldn't be surprised if more sprite bugs crop up.

I know that there is some leftover code for part of the Safari Game still in Crystal's code.

I don't think the battle code still supports Bait and Rock, it's just the menu code that's left. Maybe not.

Last edited by Rangi (2016-09-05 00:54:09)

Board footer