Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#876 2017-06-24 05:21:54

Rangi
Post 732/921

Re: Pokémon Polished Crystal 2.2.0

Alright, a lot of people have wanted to beta-test this, so I'll just post a patch here.

polishedcrystal-3.0.0-beta-70d16e1 (last updated: October 4)

Those patches are made from commit 70d16e1. Apply it to a standard Crystal (UE) ROM, the one built by pokecrystal itself, with a program like Lunar IPS.

If you're playing the beta, please follow these guidelines:

• Check the reported issues, closed issues, and recent posts in this thread before reporting an issue yourself.
• Keep an eye out for details. Incorrect tiles, spelling or grammar errors, dialog that you think could be better, NPC teams that could be improved, whatever.
• Try to include enough information for me to reproduce and diagnose bugs when you report them. Include the name of the patch you used.
• Remember that there's still unfinished content, and everything is still subject to change before the official release.

Edit: Beta saves will not be compatible with the final release, which should be out in the next week or two. So don't get too invested in it.

I'll probably update this post with new beta links as more bugs are fixed and content is added. They'll probably work with your save files from the previous betas, but no guarantees. I will do my best to make the final 3.0 release "future-proof", so that as many changes, upgrades, and bugfixes as possible can be made to it without breaking saves.

Last edited by Rangi (2017-10-04 05:55:28)

#877 2017-06-24 14:51:50

Rangi
Post 733/921

New undocumented, unsupported monochrome mode. If you know how to compile Polished Crystal yourself, you'll be able to do "make monochrome" and get a copy that looks like it's on the original GameBoy.

J5hOgNQ.png

You can edit the exact colors in macros/monochrome.asm. I recommend leaving black and white alone and just changing the two intermediate hues, since some parts of the game hard-code those values out of convenience.

(Again, this is undocumented and unsupported. I will not be putting it in the FAQ or helping people get it to work. It's just a bonus for those who are interested in hacking themselves.)

Edit: I managed to extend monochrome support for "impure" white and black colors:

BCOYHin.png

Last edited by Rangi (2017-06-25 02:34:37)

#878 2017-06-24 22:17:04

Bronzeswagger
Post 12/23

Found a bug. But apparently I was standing in front of the salesman at Yellow Forest and before I even attempted to buy anything he walked into the same spot I was standing in. Then from there forth. Everywhere I walked his sprite is just stuck inside me until I go out either side of the doors of that checkpoint.

It wasn't harmful or anything and reseted itself when I walked out and went back in, and I haven't been able to replicate it to get a screenshot. But I couldn't help but laugh for a moment because I felt I was walking around possessed by a salesman. lol

I was using the current patch you have uploaded, 9ab21eb

#879 2017-06-24 22:25:45

Rangi
Post 734/921

Bronzeswagger wrote:

Found a bug. But apparently I was standing in front of the salesman at Yellow Forest and before I even attempted to buy anything he walked into the same spot I was standing in. Then from there forth. Everywhere I walked his sprite is just stuck inside me until I go out either side of the doors of that checkpoint.

It wasn't harmful or anything and reseted itself when I walked out and went back in, and I haven't been able to replicate it to get a screenshot. But I couldn't help but laugh for a moment because I felt I was walking around possessed by a salesman. lol

That guy is an ordinary NPC using the same built-in movement system as everyone else:

person_event SPRITE_CLERK, 4, 6, SPRITEMOVEDATA_WALK_UP_DOWN, 1, 0, -1, -1, 0, PERSONTYPE_SCRIPT, 0, YellowForestGateClerkScript, -1

So if you can't replicate it either, I'll blame it on your emulator or cosmic rays or something. ;)

(Also, no need to report bugs here and Pokécommunity.)

#880 2017-06-24 22:38:07

Bronzeswagger
Post 13/23

Rangi wrote:
Bronzeswagger wrote:

That guy is an ordinary NPC using the same built-in movement system as everyone else:

person_event SPRITE_CLERK, 4, 6, SPRITEMOVEDATA_WALK_UP_DOWN, 1, 0, -1, -1, 0, PERSONTYPE_SCRIPT, 0, YellowForestGateClerkScript, -1

So if you can't replicate it either, I'll blame it on your emulator or cosmic rays or something. ;)

(Also, no need to report bugs here and Pokécommunity.)

Just trying to be helpful any way I can ^_^
But yeah, was going to try and replicate it to get a screen, but I can't get him to walk into me like he did before.
Oh well, I'll switch out my bgb emulators if there's a new one available and see if that fixes it. My bgb is old.

#881 2017-06-25 00:58:28

Ziko
Post 16/50

Will the monochrome mode be an option in the final 3.0 version or is this just a thing that's there and won't be used? That looks really good btw.

#882 2017-06-25 02:28:37

Rangi
Post 735/921

Ziko wrote:

Will the monochrome mode be an option in the final 3.0 version or is this just a thing that's there and won't be used? That looks really good btw.

It needs to be compiled separately, like the alternate "Faithful" version. But unlike that one, I won't be offering a patch myself. Especially since there are too many combinations: normal-colored, faithful-colored, normal-monochrome, faithful-monochrome, normal-noRTC, faithful-monochrome-noRTC...

On the plus side, the Makefile has been refactored so you can just list whatever options you want and they'll all be applied. For example, "make crystal" is the normal ROM; "make faithful" is the Faithful ROM; "make monochrome noRTC faithful" is the Faithful ROM with monochrome colors and no RTC (instead it has an in-game clock that works with flash carts)... This will all be in the documentation when 3.0 is released, of course.

Also, I managed to extend monochrome support for "impure" white and black colors:

BCOYHin.png

So by editing the values in macros/monochrome.asm, you can have any palette you want:

xPdBEvz.png

Last edited by Rangi (2017-06-25 02:45:27)

#883 2017-06-25 03:20:00

Rangi
Post 736/921

There's a new beta patch: polishedcrystal-3.0.0-beta-981daae.ips

This patch fixes a game-breaking glitch where Lance's Dragonite's Wide Lens crashed the game, so you had to outspeed and OHKO it. Plus some other minor bugs.

I won't be making a new post for every beta update, so check back occasionally to the original post and see what the last update is. Of course, it shouldn't be too long before betas are irrelevant and the final copy is released. :)

Last edited by Rangi (2017-06-25 06:00:46)

#884 2017-06-25 12:54:55

2qe6647
Post 14/19

I'm playing the 2.2.0 release and so far is pretty fun. The only real complaint I could give is having natures, as is both a good thing and a bad thing as it forces my salty ass to get a mon with both good IVs and proper nature.

Regarding breeding, is untouched from gsc mechanics, or is anything new? specially regarding everstone and nature passing.
Also there was a bug(pun intenteded) that showed my scyther catched location as goldenrood harbor instead of national park, but I guess is already fixed in the beta versions.

also, are there many differences between what it was true in 2.2.0 and the info in the github? mostly because it said electabuzz learns submission at lv36 but mine tried to learn cross chop.

#885 2017-06-25 14:01:42

Rangi
Post 740/921

2qe6647 wrote:

I'm playing the 2.2.0 release and so far is pretty fun. The only real complaint I could give is having natures, as is both a good thing and a bad thing as it forces my salty ass to get a mon with both good IVs and proper nature.

Regarding breeding, is untouched from gsc mechanics, or is anything new? specially regarding everstone and nature passing.
Also there was a bug(pun intenteded) that showed my scyther catched location as goldenrood harbor instead of national park, but I guess is already fixed in the beta versions.

also, are there many differences between what it was true in 2.2.0 and the info in the github? mostly because it said electabuzz learns submission at lv36 but mine tried to learn cross chop.

There have been significant changes since 2.2.0 was released nine months ago (!). If you want to check the code or documentation for 2.2.0, here it is. Meanwhile, 3.0 will allow you to disable natures hen you start a new game, along with other feature toggles.

I didn't change much about breeding in 2.2.0, apart from letting Nidorina and Nidoqueen breed and making Eggs hatch at level 1. Natures are derived from DVs in 2.2.0. In 3.0, Pokémon have six DVs instead of four, and their nature, ability, shininess, gender, and form (for variant Pokémon like Unown) are all independent. Plus, FIQ has done most of the work for updating the breeding system to the latest generation. Everstone, Destiny Knot, the Power items, Oval Charm, all of that works as expected. And Ability Cap(sule)s help make the baby have its hidden ability. Here are the details.

If you're interested in breeding, you'll probably want to switch to 3.0 now. The beta is 95% complete, and I could use your help in locating any bugs that are still present with breeding.

Last edited by Rangi (2017-06-25 17:00:48)

#886 2017-06-25 16:34:24

Ziko
Post 17/50

Rangi wrote:
Ziko wrote:

It needs to be compiled separately, like the alternate "Faithful" version. But unlike that one, I won't be offering a patch myself. Especially since there are too many combinations: normal-colored, faithful-colored, normal-monochrome, faithful-monochrome, normal-noRTC, faithful-monochrome-noRTC...

On the plus side, the Makefile has been refactored so you can just list whatever options you want and they'll all be applied. For example, "make crystal" is the normal ROM; "make faithful" is the Faithful ROM; "make monochrome noRTC faithful" is the Faithful ROM with monochrome colors and no RTC (instead it has an in-game clock that works with flash carts)... This will all be in the documentation when 3.0 is released, of course.

Also, I managed to extend monochrome support for "impure" white and black colors:

https://i.imgur.com/BCOYHin.png

So by editing the values in macros/monochrome.asm, you can have any palette you want:

https://i.imgur.com/xPdBEvz.png

This is pretty cool! I wish I knew how to do this Github stuff so I could mess with it myself.

#887 2017-06-26 02:09:53

metalflygon08
Post 48/61

I'm about to go into Dark Cave and I've seen a few things.

(Playing on Myboy for Android)

Incoming calls, the message box up top is all discolored until you answer it.

The Bellsprout owned by trainers in Sprout Tower can not attack, Vine Whip is said to have no PP left, wild ones can attack fine.

Some minor tweaks.

Change text from "Made -Pokemon- hold -item-" to "Gave -Pokemon- -item- to hold" sounds friendlier.

Perhaps add a patch of Grass to Route 32 before the guy blocks you like how it was in HGSS?

#888 2017-06-26 03:35:06

Rangi
Post 745/921

metalflygon08 wrote:

I'm about to go into Dark Cave and I've seen a few things.

(Playing on Myboy for Android)

Incoming calls, the message box up top is all discolored until you answer it.

The Bellsprout owned by trainers in Sprout Tower can not attack, Vine Whip is said to have no PP left, wild ones can attack fine.

Some minor tweaks.

Change text from "Made -Pokemon- hold -item-" to "Gave -Pokemon- -item- to hold" sounds friendlier.

Perhaps add a patch of Grass to Route 32 before the guy blocks you like how it was in HGSS?

Can you please get a screenshot of the discolored message box? Back in 2.2.0 I accidentally disabled the code that made the caller's name blink while it was ringing, and have just now fixed that. But maybe I still left something out. However, it works fine for me for the few calls I've received.

The PP issue is being looked into.

Sounds like HG/SS's "<Pokémon> was given the <item> to hold." I like it.

And that's a good idea to have some early grass available. Let you use Mareep against Falkner.

#889 2017-06-27 02:11:23

metalflygon08
Post 49/61

https://imgur.com/gallery/P36v6

Here's the issue.

I notice it takes on the colors underneath the text box.

#890 2017-06-27 02:42:24

wisejustin
Post 126/137

I was curious on how you were going to implement alolan forms also. Are you going to keep their original forms and add alolan forms as a new poke? So for instance i could get a regular vulpix from somewhere fire types are caught but can find an ice vulpix in like ice cave?

#891 2017-06-30 05:59:48

Hitesh patel
Post 53/59

Can you provide extra mission for team rocket for using legendary Pokemon for destroying the whole world in your next update version 4

hiteshpatel

#892 2017-07-02 13:31:38

2qe6647
Post 15/19

Rangi wrote:
2qe6647 wrote:

There have been significant changes since 2.2.0 was released nine months ago (!). If you want to check the code or documentation for 2.2.0, here it is. Meanwhile, 3.0 will allow you to disable natures hen you start a new game, along with other feature toggles.

I didn't change much about breeding in 2.2.0, apart from letting Nidorina and Nidoqueen breed and making Eggs hatch at level 1. Natures are derived from DVs in 2.2.0. In 3.0, Pokémon have six DVs instead of four, and their nature, ability, shininess, gender, and form (for variant Pokémon like Unown) are all independent. Plus, FIQ has done most of the work for updating the breeding system to the latest generation. Everstone, Destiny Knot, the Power items, Oval Charm, all of that works as expected. And Ability Cap(sule)s help make the baby have its hidden ability. Here are the details.

If you're interested in breeding, you'll probably want to switch to 3.0 now. The beta is 95% complete, and I could use your help in locating any bugs that are still present with breeding.

if you're gonna add so many new items you should increase either the bag capacity or the PC storage capacity. maybe tweaking a bit the maps of goldenrod city with route 34-35 so you have a good fixed path for hatching eggs, like in gen 3 (like making walking NPCs not wander on that line, and maybe cutting that last patch of grass that is left to the daycare entrance

#893 2017-07-03 03:10:40

PkMn Trainer Murasaki
Post 1/13

2qe6647 wrote:
Rangi wrote:
2qe6647 wrote:

if you're gonna add so many new items you should increase either the bag capacity or the PC storage capacity. maybe tweaking a bit the maps of goldenrod city with route 34-35 so you have a good fixed path for hatching eggs, like in gen 3 (like making walking NPCs not wander on that line, and maybe cutting that last patch of grass that is left to the daycare entrance

I'm pretty Sure She Increased Some Item Storage Somewhere.

#894 2017-07-06 07:59:13

Frezgle
Post 24/24

I have a Geodude with some... odd quirks.
I spent a while trying to find one with Sturdy by OHKOing them, and once I found and caught one, its ability changed to Rock Head.
Not only that, but at level 2 it has 0 in all stats except HP, which is 14.
It's also requiring 58 exp to get to level 3, which... seems like a lot more than it should be, but the Medium Slow group is pretty weird at early levels, so that might be nothing..

Depositing it in the PC fixed its stats, but its ability is still Rock Head.

#895 2017-07-06 15:06:50

FIQ
Post 78/79

Yeah, for some reason, captured mons are having its stats recalculated. I'll look into it.

#896 2017-07-07 02:19:28

Rangi
Post 751/921

I've made a Discord for Polished Crystal discussion, let's see how that goes: https://discord.gg/ZK5pqK8

Last edited by Rangi (2017-09-20 18:45:59)

#897 2017-07-24 17:44:44

BerrySandwich
Post 1/4

Hey Rangi I noticed some weird issues with Route 29, at the start of the game (when you only have one pokemon and going to Mr. Pokémon house) if you touch the tall grass the game sort of "soft freezes" and the player starts walking without any input until a wild battle starts (if not until you walk to a tree or collision tile and the player keeps "thumping" with the tile until I have to reset the game) and once the battle starts it acts as if it was the learn how to capture pokemon tutorial but since I have no items or pokeballs the just stays there. I'm using the latest commit I compiled it from github (https://github.com/roukaour/polishedcry … e684b3ff09 "Track unlocked music for a potential future music player"), I'm using BGB as my emulator and tried with "Normal", "Faithful", and "Monochrome" but they all have the same error.

Edit: Yo! I figure it out, error was on my end, was using the wrong version of rgbds. Thanks for this wonderful hack Rangi!

Last edited by BerrySandwich (2017-07-24 22:53:55)

#898 2017-07-25 09:23:28

FIQ
Post 79/79

You have an old beta version. Get the newest one. If, for some reason, you can't -- don't lead with Sturdy Geodude.

#899 2017-07-25 14:26:56

Hitesh patel
Post 54/59

Can you try to release it on Thursday . Then it will be great for everyone too

hiteshpatel

#900 2017-07-26 00:51:34

Ziko
Post 18/50

Great job on the Unown typeface as that was funny but hard to read for me! How did you manage to squeeze that into text btw?

Board footer