Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#26 2016-08-05 17:35:54

Mateo
Post 3,358/3,578

Re: Pokémon Polished Crystal 2.2.0

Why would you go with Lyra, though? Nobody likes Lyra :p Personally, I'd vote for using whichever player you didn't choose to be in the intro, the way HGSS did it. Just my preference. Cool to see that type of character being added, though.

#27 2016-08-05 17:56:55

Rangi
Post 64/870

Nobody likes Lyra :p

Then everybody has bad taste. ;) (Was she annoying in the anime? Because I never saw that, I like her because of Twitch Plays Pokémon's interpretation.) Anyway, the opposite-gender character to you shows up in Trainer House.

where can we get a charmander

If you've seen one before, you can use the Pokédex Area feature. Or look it up in the data/wild source code files.

Last edited by Rangi (2016-08-05 18:05:33)

Pokémon Polished Crystal (GitHub) — version 2.2.0 released
Pokémon Red★ and Blue★: Space World Edition (GitHub) — updated August 19!
Polished Map: pokered+pokecrystal map, tileset, and palette editor — version 3.5.1 released!

#28 2016-08-05 22:52:11

Mateo
Post 3,359/3,578

Rangi wrote:

Nobody likes Lyra :p

Then everybody has bad taste. ;) (Was she annoying in the anime? Because I never saw that, I like her because of Twitch Plays Pokémon's interpretation.) Anyway, the opposite-gender character to you shows up in Trainer House.

Most people don't like her because:

- Johto already had a female protagonist, there was no reason to make up a new one.
- Everyone I know thinks Kris' design was better than Lyra's

Basically, we hate her because there is literally no reason for her to exist in the first place, and she replaced a character with a design we liked better. That's why some of the first hacks that came out for HG/SS were hacks to get rid of Lyra and put Kris back in where she belonged.

Oh well, at least you don't seem to be replacing Kris with Lyra, just adding her as an extra character.

Side note: I've never seen her in the anime, and I've never seen anything to do with a TPP that involved her, because as a general rule I'm not that interested in TPP. I just go off the normal games. I like the way her character behaves (In several ways, Kris' role in Pokemon Christmas was inspired by a combination of Lyra and the player you don't chose in RSE) I just don't like Lyra because they replaced one of my favorite protagonists with someone who looks like a gender-swapped version of Mario for no apparent reason.

Last edited by Mateo (2016-08-05 22:59:03)

#29 2016-08-05 23:13:34

Rangi
Post 65/870

I see. Don't worry, Kris isn't going anywhere. :) My guess is that HG/SS didn't use her design because they replaced the Suicune plot with the Kimono Girls + Ho-Oh/Lugia one (even though Eusine is still there).

TPP did a run of HeartGold where she was named Aoooo, which they interpreted as her being a shrine maiden werewolf (or were-Mightyena), who ends up training a Groudon named Kenya. Which is not even the weirdest thing to come out of TPP.

("gender-swapped version of Mario" hahaha)

One of my long-term ideas for a hack set 5 years after GSC is to split the protagonist's achievements between Ethan and Kris. So Ethan would be the new Champion who defeated Team Rocket, and Kris would be the one who awakened the legendary beasts and encountered Ho-Oh. Now she and Eusine would team up and look for more legends. You'd run into them in the Ruins of Alph, Ecruteak City, and so on.

Last edited by Rangi (2016-08-05 23:23:23)

Polished Map: pokered+pokecrystal map, tileset, and palette editor — version 3.5.1 released!

#30 2016-08-05 23:35:27

Mmmmmm
Post 52/261

My idea for a hack is also a GSC sequel, but in my idea I was going to have Gold and Lyra be the protagonists and Kris be the former Champion, who went on to be a professor's assistant like Bianca (because my idea for the hack would start in Olivine, similar to how BW2 starts you in a completely different place; my only fear is how the hell I'd balance having a Steel-type Gym Leader as the first one, even if I did put some Fire- or Fighting-types nearby). I figured it would be easiest that way since I wanted a former protagonist but at the same time don't want to have to design new NPCs.

Lyra isn't as good as Kris but she's passable.

#31 2016-08-06 02:23:37

Rangi
Post 66/870

More feature previews.

uziWlaO.png

Literally no one is interested in printing out Unown. I'm replacing this event with one that will hopefully be a good incentive to catch all 26. No spoilers, but it will involve a new location.

#32 2016-08-06 05:06:48

Hitesh patel
Post 10/59

i was lucky ro get charmander in my 1st trade in world wonder hub in exchange of ditto . Im using new patch with old save data from version 1.1.1  but that move cut is a normal type . Should i start new game for that move cut to be a steel type

hiteshpatel

#33 2016-08-06 05:14:31

Rangi
Post 68/870

The regular and Faithful versions are entirely compatible with each other. So if you're using 1.1.2F, you can switch to 1.1.2 with no problems, and you'll get the new types and stats.

#34 2016-08-06 08:44:06

Hitesh patel
Post 11/59

when i start a new game in new version . I was catch off guard in a 1st rival battle which has 2 pokemon but lucky that i trained my chicorita to lvl 8

hiteshpatel

#35 2016-08-06 09:16:19

Rangi
Post 69/870

That's why I added a second Pokémon, since you have the opportunity to train. In 1.2.0 your first battle will be with Lyra right after you both get your starters, so if you win that you'll already be at level 6 for the rival battle.

#36 2016-08-06 13:14:20

Hitesh patel
Post 12/59

thats so cool . Right now im trying to play this game in the way of nuzlock rules . For my improvment again gym match

Last edited by Hitesh patel (2016-08-06 13:15:47)

hiteshpatel

#37 2016-08-06 16:55:09

Mateo
Post 3,360/3,578

Glad to hear that Lyra isn't eventually replacing Kris. I know Kris and Lyra were together in the screenshot, but I was worried it might be a work-in-progress before you had the sprite/name changing for her based on gender or something. That's cool though. Also, I like your idea of splitting up the accomplishments between Gold and Kris for the sequel. That's what I was doing with Red and Leaf for Pokemon Christmas (since Red++ is "canon" in Christmas' timeline). As a way to explain continuity and avoid actually using Lyra myself, I've sort of retconned it a little to say "Lyra is related to Kris, but slightly older, and she's the one who did the events from HG/SS -- since they've clearly already happened, even though Kris and Gold are both starting their journey in the winter of the same year". I'd be curious to discuss ideas for the future of Johto with you when you get around to working on your eventual "5 years later" hack. Curious to see what all you've imagined and also have some ideas I could share as well, if you were interested.

#38 2016-08-07 08:19:15

Dishwasher Dewott
Post 11/29

I was just thinking since you added the Move Razor Shell, (Which none of the other Pokémon besides Shellder & Cloyster learn, which would be better off learning Icicle Spear rather than Razor Shell) you could add the Pokémon that move was made for (as a signature move) in 5th gen (>TT^TT<)
Oshawott, Dewott, & Samurott
FluxBB bbcode test
(Or just remove Razor Shell)

Last edited by Dishwasher Dewott (2016-08-07 08:36:11)

Pokémon GBC Rom Hack Critic
Ever since I played Mateo's Halloween Hack (Pokémon Spirits and Legends) I instantly fell in love with finding & playing more and more Rom Hacks, (Both GBC & GBA)
(>^w^<)

#39 2016-08-08 01:19:55

Rangi
Post 72/870

There's no more room for new Pokémon, and an isolated Gen V starter would make no sense in a hack that's supposed to be an enhanced Gen II Crystal version.

(I think I chose to add Razor Shell over Icicle Spear or Icicle Crash because I had already added Avalanche, but I'm not attached to it. Competitive battlers, what do you think? Which of the three should I have as Cloyster's signature move?)

I do like those sprites, though. A Gen V demake would be fun to play. This project looks abandoned, but the sprites and maps are public. Maybe you could make your own game?

The pokecrystal source code is a good starting point. It's relatively simple to change the Johto starters to Unova ones, just by searching for all mentions of their names, and then you could add in more Gen V Pokémon, edit the maps, write new events… Even just replacing all the Pokémon would be a neat hack, I know someone did that with FireRed.

Edit: Here it is if you're interested, Pokémon Kanto Black.

Last edited by Rangi (2016-08-08 05:04:22)

#40 2016-08-08 05:23:27

Rangi
Post 73/870

Mateo, I'm definitely interested in discussing ideas for a future Gen 2 game. I don't expect to start my own any time soon, but maybe we could collaborate on one?

#41 2016-08-08 14:23:42

Hitesh patel
Post 13/59

the new version still not give cut a steel type move . It show only normal type move

hiteshpatel

#42 2016-08-08 19:32:20

Rangi
Post 74/870

Make sure you're using the regular patch, not the Faithful one. The title screen should not say 1.1.2F, just 1.1.2.

#43 2016-08-08 22:14:39

Mateo
Post 3,363/3,578

Rangi wrote:

Mateo, I'm definitely interested in discussing ideas for a future Gen 2 game. I don't expect to start my own any time soon, but maybe we could collaborate on one?

Sounds like a fun idea to work on once we finish our currently-ongoing projects.

#44 2016-08-09 00:08:11

Rangi
Post 75/870

Goldenrod Harbor is going to be a lot more engaging:

WpCEruF.png

Last edited by Rangi (2016-08-09 00:36:16)

#45 2016-08-09 16:05:50

Dishwasher Dewott
Post 12/29

Rangi wrote:

There's no more room for new Pokémon, and an isolated Gen V starter would make no sense in a hack that's supposed to be an enhanced Gen II Crystal version.

(I think I chose to add Razor Shell over Icicle Spear or Icicle Crash because I had already added Avalanche, but I'm not attached to it. Competitive battlers, what do you think? Which of the three should I have as Cloyster's signature move?)

I do like those sprites, though. A Gen V demake would be fun to play. This project looks abandoned, but the sprites and maps are public. Maybe you could make your own game?

The pokecrystal source code is a good starting point. It's relatively simple to change the Johto starters to Unova ones, just by searching for all mentions of their names, and then you could add in more Gen V Pokémon, edit the maps, write new events… Even just replacing all the Pokémon would be a neat hack, I know someone did that with FireRed.

Edit: Here it is if you're interested, Pokémon Kanto Black.

This exact project is the one I was looking forward to the MOST but alas, this project may not have been officially cancelled, but many have been lead to believe that it has, as the creator hasn't worked on it in some time, and hasn't posted any updates either, so it's almost definitely been cancelled (>TT^TT<)
As for making my own game, I'm a simpleton (>TT^TT<) I could barely understand html code & webpage design in high school, and I'm more of a hardware guy than a software guy, it would take me a few years & more motivation than I have the capacity for in order for me to make something as complex as a game, (even one as "simple" as a Gameboy Color Rom Hack) I only know how to alter Graphics, as I have done at least that with a different game called INSANIQUARIUM I mean, I've wanted MORE THAN ANYTHING to create a Hack of Either Pokemon Silver or Crystal which takes place in Unova, and would remove all but a few of the Gen 1 & 2 Pokemon & replace them with Gen(s) 3, 4, & 5 Pokemon, along with a few "Unovan Formes" (IE: "Snowmanitan", A Female Form of; Stoutland, Samurott, Scrafty, etc... and a Male alternate evolution for Gothorita, amongst others) and also replace many "signature moves" Including, but not limited to; Barrage, Sacred Fire, Aeroblast, etc... (>^w^<) but I guess in my spare time, (which I have FAR too much of), I could try to learn how to do exactly that!... (>^~^<)

Update: OH GOD I HAVE SO MUCH TO LEARN!!! (>X~X<)

Last edited by Dishwasher Dewott (2016-08-09 17:44:05)

Ever since I played Mateo's Halloween Hack (Pokémon Spirits and Legends) I instantly fell in love with finding & playing more and more Rom Hacks, (Both GBC & GBA)
(>^w^<)

#46 2016-08-09 22:07:13

Rangi
Post 77/870

Sounds like you already have more computer/software experience than most people. If you have the time to learn the pokecrystal code, you'll probably do fine.

Start with the installation instructions and make sure you can build a vanilla Crystal ROM that works in an emulator. Then change stuff! Edit Croconaw's name to "Dewott" and see it apply in the actual game. Update the base stats and learnset. Replacing the sprites is more complicated than just typing some new text, but if you get stuck there's always the Help forums over here.

(I was actually thinking of documenting all the steps to change one Pokémon, one move, one item, etc in pokecrystal. Most of the difficulty comes from finding all the different files that need changing. Maybe it would encourage more people to make Gen II assembly hacks.)

(I did write a partial guide to tileset+map editing over on /r/PokemonROMHacks. If you do reach the map-design project stage, I suggest making them smaller than in Rustic White/Retro Black. Gen V maps were designed for large sprites on a DS screen, and when they're just converted tile by tile to GSC style you end up with too-wide paths and large empty areas.)

Last edited by Rangi (2016-08-09 22:10:05)

#47 2016-08-10 00:51:57

Dishwasher Dewott
Post 13/29

I am curious though, do you have any future Rom Hacks planned after completion of Polished Crystal? (>'w'<)
ALSO, If I'm gonna do this, I need to know how to do some more "advanced" things, like adding another type (Fairy), and adding Physical/ Special split, as well as changing how/ when the credits roll, (so I can truly capture the Pokemon Black & White Feel, I'd also like to know how to change the Pokemon(s) cry, if that is at all possible, these among many many other things are what I need to know in order to make this into what I want it to be* (>^w^<)

Last edited by Dishwasher Dewott (2016-08-10 01:00:03)

(>^w^<)

#48 2016-08-10 03:37:58

Rangi
Post 79/870

I may do another hack set years after GSC, once Polished Crystal is "good enough".

A lot of pokecrystal programming is just about finding the right files to edit. For instance, knowing that types are defined in constants/type_constants.asm, named in text/types.asm, given strengths/weaknesses in battle/type_matchup.asm, and also referenced in battle/hidden_power.asm and engine/pokedex.asm (for its search-by-type feature), then adding the Fairy type is pretty straightforward. And then you can change moves to Fairy type in battle/moves/moves.asm.

One technique is to change the important files you know about and see what else breaks. So if I rename BIRD to FAIRY in type_constants.asm and try to run "make" to rebuild the ROM, it will give errors that tell which files were using the now-removed BIRD constant. You can refer to the changes I made to type_constants.asm for that particular feature (it's broken up into a few commits because I had some bugs to fix, and then changed the implementation when I added the Physical/Special split).

For changing cries, if you browse through all the project files you should find the ones clearly related to cries. For now I just copied the existing ones (e.g. Honchkrow has Murkrow's cry) because designing new ones is more a matter of trial and error: change some numbers, run the game, listen to if it sounds good, repeat.

Of course, there's no one right way to add these features. TPP Anniversary Crystal added the Physical/Special split in a way that combines each move's category with its type, taking up 256 fewer bytes.

#49 2016-08-10 10:27:02

Dishwasher Dewott
Post 14/29

The entire time reading this, I felt like someone was explaining rocket science to me... (>@~@<)
This sounds like something I would have to take a hands-on class in to actually learn how to do something like this, besides, I know far less than you might think I do, I've never understood programming or code in ANY way what-so-ever. The fact that I was confused by the second sentence is evidence enough that I'll be lost without any instruction, I'm not proud about needing someone to hold my hand the entire way, but I'm not asking am I? (>owO<)
Anyway, I think I'll stick to the title of Critic and what I'm already good at, Cooking & Housekeeping (>*w^<) and stick to playing & reviewing the great Rom Hacks you all make! (>^w^<)
Also, I'm going to try and get folaip to continue work on what was going to be an amazing demake of Black & White! (>*w^<)
In conclusion, Keep up the good work, & thanks for trying to explain it to me, but tbh, I've read Greek that makes more sense than code! (>owO<) <3

Last edited by Dishwasher Dewott (2016-08-10 10:28:10)

(>^w^<)

#50 2016-08-10 16:49:28

Mmmmmm
Post 54/261

Honestly, Dewott, I think you overhype the difficulty of working with the disassembly. I still cannot code, at all, and I can make full sense of anything related to maps and data in the disassembly. I'd like to improve my coding skills so I can add custom features, there are a ton of things I'd want in a hack like two-byte index slots for Pokémon and moves, natures, abilities, etc., but even if I never improved my knowledge of assembly code, I could still make a full hack with a custom Pokédex, custom region, custom storyline, and features taken from other disassembly-based hacks (with permission).

Really, you won't know your limits until you give it your all and really try. I'm sure a lot of the things you're afraid of are a lot easier than you think.

Board footer