Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#126 2017-01-04 19:24:27

Rangi
Post 458/919

Re: GSC Music Covers (with code)

Don't worry, I like it! If you want a spoiler I can email you how it'll be used. Thanks again!

#127 2017-01-05 04:50:58

Kuroko Aizawa
Post 454/501

If you feel up to taking a step back and doing something easy, I've been trying to find hoenn demakes and all I have is Shanty's and your current ones. In dire need of Slateport, Sootopolis and the Meteor Falls soundtracks from RSE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3GrO6kxJCw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uilVWnZCqGM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHcoZ2mCBKc

Last edited by Kuroko Aizawa (2017-01-05 04:52:07)

#128 2017-01-05 05:07:20

Mmmmmm
Post 214/261

Sootopolis has been something I've wanted to do for a long time, I definitely can do those three after I'm done with Rangi's covers.

Just to try and sort out a queue to make sure everything is still wanted, my current order to tackle these covers are:

Gen 5 Last Pokémon theme
Sun and Moon's wild and trainer battles
Alolan E4 theme
XY Legendary theme
Slateport/Sootopolis/Meteor Falls

Hopefully after all this I can take some time to do some Touhou covers to help with Ordinary Version. I also have some tucked-away songs I've had requested for a long time like Marine Tube and Black City, maybe I'll eventually do those if I can empty the queue (that's not to say you shouldn't request things, I take higher priority to songs that are explicitly wanted for ROMhacks since they'll see more use).

#129 2017-01-05 05:37:43

Mateo
Post 3,450/3,631

I know it isn't originally a Pokemon song, but could I request some christmas songs in GSC format for eventual use in Pokemon Christmas? Such as "Last Christmas" by Wham! (Probably using the same instruments as Azalea Town, as SilvaGunner pointed out with his mashup). No rush, just whenever you had time, if you were cool with it.

I am no longer active on this forum. I only pop in from time to time.

#130 2017-01-05 10:28:19

Rangi
Post 460/919

Mmmmmm wrote:

Sootopolis has been something I've wanted to do for a long time, I definitely can do those three after I'm done with Rangi's covers.

Just to try and sort out a queue to make sure everything is still wanted, my current order to tackle these covers are:

Gen 5 Last Pokémon theme
Sun and Moon's wild and trainer battles
Alolan E4 theme
XY Legendary theme
Slateport/Sootopolis/Meteor Falls

Hopefully after all this I can take some time to do some Touhou covers to help with Ordinary Version. I also have some tucked-away songs I've had requested for a long time like Marine Tube and Black City, maybe I'll eventually do those if I can empty the queue (that's not to say you shouldn't request things, I take higher priority to songs that are explicitly wanted for ROMhacks since they'll see more use).

There's one other I requested, Malie City. And yes, I still have uses in mind for everything in the queue. :)

#131 2017-01-05 15:11:36

ShantyTown
Post 340/344

Rangi wrote:

There's one other I requested, Malie City. And yes, I still have uses in mind for everything in the queue. :)

I'm still slowly working on Malie City.

#132 2017-01-05 15:29:56

Rangi
Post 461/919

ShantyTown wrote:
Rangi wrote:

I'm still slowly working on Malie City.

Oh, then thank you! Take your time.

#133 2017-01-06 22:00:37

Mmmmmm
Post 216/261

Victory is Right Before Your Eyes! (Gym Leader's Last Pokémon):
http://pastebin.com/nxxf3cRT
https://soundcloud.com/mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm … -gbc-8-bit

The last couple covers haven't lived up to my standards but I think this one does. The opening might sound a bit weak relative to the original, since the Game Boy isn't quite an orchestra in terms of audio output, but after it gets to the loop I find it strong enough to climax a battle. To Rangi, I have to just give the small request that this only be used for Gym Leaders, E4, etc., and not for special one-off fights, since I think going from special one-use music to a commonly-used theme like this would seem like a downgrade. It's your hack and you're free to ignore me, I could just have a bad opinion here. At least you didn't ask me to do the annoying low-health theme from Gen 5 that overrides whatever hype music was playing before it.

Mateo wrote:

I know it isn't originally a Pokemon song, but could I request some christmas songs in GSC format for eventual use in Pokemon Christmas? Such as "Last Christmas" by Wham! (Probably using the same instruments as Azalea Town, as SilvaGunner pointed out with his mashup). No rush, just whenever you had time, if you were cool with it.

Ehhhh, I'm not really sure. If you just need 1-2 I could probably do it, but if you plan on replacing a ton of route or town themes I think I would pass on it.

#134 2017-01-07 03:41:21

Mateo
Post 3,451/3,631

I was just thinking 2 or 3 tops, to put on the Pokegear radio.

I am no longer active on this forum. I only pop in from time to time.

#135 2017-01-07 10:22:55

Rangi
Post 465/919

Mmmmmm wrote:

Victory is Right Before Your Eyes! (Gym Leader's Last Pokémon):
http://pastebin.com/nxxf3cRT

The last couple covers haven't lived up to my standards but I think this one does. The opening might sound a bit weak relative to the original, since the Game Boy isn't quite an orchestra in terms of audio output, but after it gets to the loop I find it strong enough to climax a battle. To Rangi, I have to just give the small request that this only be used for Gym Leaders, E4, etc., and not for special one-off fights, since I think going from special one-use music to a commonly-used theme like this would seem like a downgrade. It's your hack and you're free to ignore me, I could just have a bad opinion here. At least you didn't ask me to do the annoying low-health theme from Gen 5 that overrides whatever hype music was playing before it..

It definitely sounds dramatic enough! ^_^ I was already planning to only use it for "official" boss fights, not random powerful trainers. A few I'm on the fence about:

• Red and Leaf: they're champions, but also one-off fights.
• Tower Tycoon Palmer: he has an official position, and you have to get through six other trainers to fight him.
• Lorelei, Agatha, Steven, Cynthia, Valerie: they're leaders and elites, but from other regions. I kind of think Steven and Cynthia deserve it, but not the rest.

What do you think?

Edit: Here's a video of the Falkner battle (the new music starts at 2:47). It's not a great recording, the audio is out of sync, but it sounds good on the emulator.

Last edited by Rangi (2017-01-07 11:42:37)

#136 2017-01-07 18:01:47

Mmmmmm
Post 217/261

It sounds to me like the first music channel just stops looping at some point after the Last Pokémon theme starts in that video. I double-checked my code and the channel has its loop set up properly so I'm not sure what the issue could be, but I'd look into that.

I think the first bulletpoint shouldn't have Last Pokémon music but the latter two should. I've wanted to make music for Lorelei and Agatha for your hack (a remix of the Gen 1 Kanto Gym Leader theme, since I think it sounds noticeably different than the Gen 2 theme; likely demixing something like the BW2 arrangement of the theme to make it not identical to just using the RBY code) but it's been low-priority relative to all the other covers being requested of me.

Mateo: I think having just a couple for the radio is a good idea. I'll consider it.

#137 2017-01-08 20:02:35

FIQ
Post 45/79

Not sure how I feel about switching the champions theme to the "generic" last mon standing theme. After all, the champion is an one-off special.

#138 2017-01-08 20:11:38

Rangi
Post 471/919

Okay, so in Black and White the theme was only for Gym Leaders. Guess I'll do the same thing; which also means a separate Elite 4 theme would be more beneficial, setting them apart.

Last edited by Rangi (2017-01-08 20:16:59)

#139 2017-01-29 23:44:07

Fotomac
Post 271/332

Can someone do a GSC devamp of the Poké Mart music introduced in Ruby and Sapphire?

#140 2017-01-30 00:53:51

Mmmmmm
Post 220/261

Man, I really feel like shit for not working on the Alola wild theme much. I think I just have really bad inertia right now due to the struggles from covering the Gladion and Mother Beast themes, there's nothing in this wild theme that should be holding me back, I'm just having a really hard time building up motivation. I didn't make this post just to whine and try for sympathy points, just wanted to reply to Fotomac without ignoring the elephant in the room.

The RSE version of the Mart theme is distinct from the other arrangements and definitely worth doing in the future, but before I or someone else eventually gets to it, Frogg made a cover of the HGSS music a long time ago. How's the progress on that RSE demake going, by the way? I haven't heard anything about it since you announced it, I think it would be neat to hear how you've been succeeding with the project in the last few months.

#141 2017-01-30 01:06:17

Fotomac
Post 272/332

Oh wow, I almost forgot about it! It's been so long since I've done anything with it, I've been busy with other stuff lately, including my pokered hack and its French translation. However, the RSE demake project is not dead.

BTW I was also thinking of using the RSE Mart theme for a planned sequel to the TCNS, current codename nostalgia-gold, in accordance with its use in HGSS.

#142 2017-01-30 01:29:34

Rangi
Post 497/919

Man, I really feel like shit for not working on the Alola wild theme much. I think I just have really bad inertia right now due to the struggles from covering the Gladion and Mother Beast themes, there's nothing in this wild theme that should be holding me back, I'm just having a really hard time building up motivation. I didn't make this post just to whine and try for sympathy points, just wanted to reply to Fotomac without ignoring the elephant in the room.

Hey, don't worry about it. I get that way with projects all the time. (None of the last few features I coded have been the ones on the to-do-before-release list, and Polished Crystal itself started as a thing to do other than assigned work. It's actually one of the few projects I haven't abandoned as half-finished. I think the support from players, and help from other programmers and artists, partly explains that.)

You've already written a lot of my requests for Polished Crystal, and I know you're not just abandoning it. Just take your time, whenever the theme is ready I can insert it into the game as an update. (New music shouldn't break saves, if it ends up being a point update.)

If you're stuck on the wild theme in particular, how about setting it aside and doing the trainer or Elite theme? Or someone else's request, of course, or whatever tracks you were liking in Sun/Moon. Chances are if you release something I'll be tempted to find a use for it anyway. :)

#143 2017-02-16 05:34:41

SubstituteCreature
Post 4/15

Newbie here. If it's not too difficult, can someone take a stab at a demake of "Prayer" from the Pokemon Anime OST ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhxCn96Jvp4. "Tears After Cloudy Weather" and "A Meeting and Parting" are also one's I've been dying to hear.

GSC style Fakemon designer/spriter
My Art
My Hack (In Progress)

#144 2017-02-16 07:11:25

Mmmmmm
Post 228/261

I have stopped procrastinating.

Alola Wild Pokémon Battle:
http://pastebin.com/WSdP1J0x

@Rangi (you didn't post here but I saw your Polished Crystal post): all four of those requested tracks look good to do, and Black City was actually something I've had on my separate backlog of "songs requested by people that aren't explicitly using it for a hack" for a while so it's a good excuse to get on it. I'm going to hold off on doing any of those until after I get your earlier covers and Kuroko Aizawa's three requests, though, so if there are any YORAMRW wants to do, feel free to snatch them off my hands, except Black City since as I said I've been planning on doing that for a while.

@SubstituteCreature: Prayer seems a bit too minimalistic to work in 8-bit, though Meeting and Parting and Tears After a Cloudy Weather seem like they could work. I've never thought about porting music from the anime but it doesn't seem that far out of my comfort zone. When I'm finished with my huge backlog of songs from the games' OSTs that's currently stacking up higher than I can put out, I may try those two, they could both work for a special, important cutscene in a hack.

#145 2017-02-16 21:18:01

SubstituteCreature
Post 5/15

Mmmmmm wrote:

@SubstituteCreature: Prayer seems a bit too minimalistic to work in 8-bit, though Meeting and Parting and Tears After a Cloudy Weather seem like they could work. I've never thought about porting music from the anime but it doesn't seem that far out of my comfort zone. When I'm finished with my huge backlog of songs from the games' OSTs that's currently stacking up higher than I can put out, I may try those two, they could both work for a special, important cutscene in a hack.

Completely understandable. I'm in no hurry whatsoever so do what you gotta do :)
On a side note, how difficult would it be to extract or recreate music from another GBC game (Pokemon TCG 2 to be specific) and import it into pokeCrystal?
It's not something I'm looking into yet, just curious about it at the moment.

My Art
My Hack (In Progress)

#146 2017-02-16 21:40:12

Rangi
Post 538/919

SubstituteCreature wrote:
Mmmmmm wrote:

Completely understandable. I'm in no hurry whatsoever so do what you gotta do :)
On a side note, how difficult would it be to extract or recreate music from another GBC game (Pokemon TCG 2 to be specific) and import it into pokeCrystal?
It's not something I'm looking into yet, just curious about it at the moment.

For TCG and TCG2, it's already been done.

#147 2017-02-16 22:16:53

SubstituteCreature
Post 6/15

Rangi wrote:

For TCG and TCG2, it's already been done.

Thanks! I really enjoyed the soundtrack for those games. Saved me some trouble down the line

My Art
My Hack (In Progress)

#148 2017-02-16 23:33:42

FIQ
Post 57/79

What happens when a track is put in stereo in GSC? How can you control it if messing with music, and how would you make it sound sane? Does GSC already do that for you when inserting, and is it something you don't need to have a concern for whatsoever?

These might seem like weird questions, but I can't actually hear in stereo, so I have no idea what it actually does, game-wise. Would be useful to know if I were to ever mess with music hacking in GSC to not have to enforce mono on people who don't want it...

Last edited by FIQ (2017-02-16 23:34:11)

#149 2017-02-16 23:42:24

Mmmmmm
Post 232/261

You have to set up the tracks for it with stereopanning. It ranges from $00 to $ff where each number deals with the left/right speaker and the value of that number controls the volume (0 means it's silent in that speaker, f means it's at full volume in that speaker).

Personally I always make all my songs exclusively mono, unless I forget to remove it from the template I use. I think stereo sounds bad in GSC, and stereo as a whole can drive me insane; I have sensitive hearing and having something play only in one headphone when I'm listening to something sets me off in a way I can't fully describe.

#150 2017-02-16 23:53:04

FIQ
Post 58/79

I see. Thanks for your input!

Board footer