Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#101 2016-11-14 04:57:58

Rangi
Post 318/933

Re: GSC Music Covers (with code)

ShantyTown, nice work with Dewford Town. You're good at getting the different instrument timbres to sound distinct.

Mmmmmm, or ShantyTown if you'd like, I've had some more ideas for songs that would fit well into Polished Crystal while writing this latest event script. Please take your time if you want to devamp any of them; I'd really appreciate any further tracks.

Wally's encounter and departure music (OR/AS): For the final battle with Lyra
Battle! Mother Beast (S/M): For a certain battle that would work very well with this theme
Battle! Xerneas/Yveltal (X/Y): For the battle with Celebi (the only legendary without official battle music) (for now I'm reusing the legendary beasts' theme)
Battle! Elite 4 (S/M): For the Elite 4 (I'd like to not reuse the Gym Leader theme) (an "upgraded" GSC Leader theme remix could also work, kind of like how the Team Aqua/Magma Leader theme is similar to the Grunt theme but more dramatic; I don't want the Elite 4 theme to outshine the Champion theme)

Last edited by Rangi (2016-11-14 05:00:45)

#102 2016-11-14 06:55:12

Mmmmmm
Post 161/261

I can definitely do your requests eventually, but I'm on break right now due to playing Moon. I have Wally's Emotion theme partially done but got sidetracked when the games leak. After I've had my fill with SM and finish Emotion, there are a few SM songs I have high priority on due to me really liking those songs (I absolutely have to do Gladion's encounter and battle themes), but once I do those I'll try to do the other three.

I don't think Wally's departure theme would be fitting for Lyra's final battle though. His Emotion theme works fine, but I think just using Lyra's regular theme for her final departure would be a lot more fitting.

EDIT: Forgot to comment on Dewford, I think it sounds great. It seems to be in a different key than the original but that's not a knock against the song at all, and it does a good job at mixing up instruments as you intended. I'm honestly a bit unsure of my instrumentation abilities, just because I tend to overuse waveforms 0-3 as the melody in my opinion, but it's always nice to hear compliments and to know that others enjoy my personal style.

Last edited by Mmmmmm (2016-11-14 06:59:37)

#103 2016-11-14 07:42:48

Rangi
Post 319/933

Mmmmmm wrote:

I can definitely do your requests eventually, but I'm on break right now due to playing Moon. I have Wally's Emotion theme partially done but got sidetracked when the games leak. After I've had my fill with SM and finish Emotion, there are a few SM songs I have high priority on due to me really liking those songs (I absolutely have to do Gladion's encounter and battle themes), but once I do those I'll try to do the other three.

I don't think Wally's departure theme would be fitting for Lyra's final battle though. His Emotion theme works fine, but I think just using Lyra's regular theme for her final departure would be a lot more fitting.

No problem, thank you! Do you have a 3DS or are you playing Moon entirely with Citra?

I haven't requested the Sun/Moon wild and trainer battle themes, but I do think they would sound great demixed. Could eventually be used for some game set in the Orange Islands.

I'll try the cutscene later with Lyra's departure theme; it'll probably work.

#104 2016-11-14 15:48:17

Mmmmmm
Post 162/261

I'm playing it on 3DS, almost at the second kahuna battle. I can't see myself using Citra and enjoying it, framerate is way too jumpy (though it's not that good on 3DS either, the game shits the bed during totem battles and especially during multi battles and battle royales where there are eight models on the screen at once).

#105 2016-11-14 16:40:25

FIQ
Post 21/79

Urgh, played Moon myself since Monday-ish, especially when away on a brief vacation, and my god is the framerate terrible. I've seen the game *slow down to a crawl* at times, particularly during Battle Royale. I honestly have no idea why GF thought releasing in this state was a good idea.
@mmmmmm: did you see my earlier request or did you simply not find it worthwhile (Florama Town Night)? It's all right either way, it's hardly something I need, I'm just asking since you ignored the post, if you didn't see it or simply just didn't find it worthwhile.

Last edited by FIQ (2016-11-14 16:41:42)

#106 2016-11-14 17:18:17

Mmmmmm
Post 163/261

I just didn't find it worthwhile. I love Floaroma Town, but I know FroggestSpirit will eventually cover both the day and night variations of Floaroma, and the day version will likely be better than mine. If I focus my covers on areas that aren't guaranteed to get covers by someone else, while he continues to do his thing with the Sinnoh OST, we'll have more songs covered in total.

#107 2016-11-14 17:19:39

Rangi
Post 320/933

FIQ: FroggestSpirit is doing the whole DPPt soundtrack, you could ask them to prioritize it. Edit: jinx.

Last edited by Rangi (2016-11-14 17:21:17)

#108 2016-11-14 19:15:03

Ammako
Post 51/158

FIQ wrote:

Urgh, played Moon myself since Monday-ish, especially when away on a brief vacation, and my god is the framerate terrible. I've seen the game *slow down to a crawl* at times, particularly during Battle Royale. I honestly have no idea why GF thought releasing in this state was a good idea.

The game seems to be meant for New 3DS; regular 3DS can barely handle it sometimes even with extended memory mode.
I guess they figured making it an actual N3DS-exclusive title would have seriously hurt its sales.
Had they made it N3DS-exclusive I'd have sat out of it entirely. I think it's a good thing it was made available for regular 3DS; those who want the game to run better can get a New 3DS :p

Last edited by Ammako (2016-11-14 19:16:35)

#109 2016-11-18 05:07:15

Mmmmmm
Post 176/261

So I haven't had much motivation to play Sun and Moon because I got caught in the massive ban wave (it was my fault for being stupid enough to try going online, in any other era of history I would have died as a victim of natural selection by now), and finished Wally's pre-battle theme at Victory Road. I had a really hard time with the tone of the song, and opted to only use two channels instead of three to make it softer and more melancholic.

A Path We All Must Walk (Wally's Emotion):
http://pastebin.com/b5C5P7NX
https://soundcloud.com/mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm … -gbc-8-bit

#110 2016-11-20 08:00:02

Rangi
Post 342/933

Oh no, that's too bad. What is a ban tied to, your IP address, Nintendo online account, DS serial number?

Thanks for continuing with my incessant song requests. :P I'm looking forward to the Mother Beast theme; if you're checking my GitHub updates, you can probably guess what I want to use it for.

#111 2016-11-20 08:27:31

Mmmmmm
Post 178/261

It's apparently tied to the MAC address of your 3DS Wi-Fi chip, so it's hardware-based. There's a method to unban yourself from online games by copying the friend code data of a 3DS that's not banned (you still keep your old friend code but if either your or the other 3DS gets banned again the other 3DS also gets banned, so you can't just share this method with a stranger's 3DS and even doing it with a friend's 3DS requires a good amount of trust), but I don't have one of those lying around and we don't know the potential side effects of doing so anyway so it's probably not wise to do it immediately. There's also a small chance that the ban is temporary and not permanent, it's a new error code when you try to go online and nobody knows all the details of it as a result, so I'm just going to wait a couple weeks and see if things blow over naturally before trying some risky ban evasion method. Hopefully I'll have finished the storyline by then it's unbelievably slow, the cutscenes never end I hate it so much the game would be a solid 8/10 so far if there weren't so many goddamn cutscenes, I've been avoiding listening to music I haven't encountered in-game so I haven't even listened to the Mother Beast theme yet.

If I end up covering the SM songs I have as my highest priority before finishing the game and still want to work more on music before finishing, I'll probably end up doing the XY Legendary theme first. Also, don't feel bad at all about requesting so many songs. I think my best work happens when I'm covering music for someone else rather than myself; even though I think I have higher standards for myself than anyone else, I get a drive to work harder when my goal is to please another person specifically.

#112 2016-11-27 00:13:45

Mmmmmm
Post 180/261

Alright, so I'm at one of those breaking points where I need to seek out advice for a WIP here, since I've had trouble getting advice elsewhere.

https://soundcloud.com/mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm … dion-wip-2

I have Gladion's encounter theme about 40% done and I'm really not feeling like I've captured the tone correctly. The problem is mainly with the opening melody, it's difficult to capture the guitar strength in 8-bit.

I'm wondering if there's some tucked-away, obscure feature in the audio engine that might help me fill things out. I only recently discovered soundinput and still don't know what most of its settings do, and I'm curious if someone like Frogg or ShantyTown has more experience with it than I, which is why asking here seems the best course of action.

#113 2016-11-27 02:07:42

ShantyTown
Post 333/344

(I don't know what soundinput is either.)  Honestly, what you currently have sounds good to me.  In my opinion, you shouldn't be trying to mimic the exact instruments, otherwise you'll run into this problem with many songs.  The more important thing is to pick out the important melody and harmonies and make sure they're clearly present in the devamp.  If you want that intro guitar to stand out a bit more, you could try using the 0.25 duty cycle, and maybe try one octave higher.  You could also try using the shortest vibrato length and step to see if that gives it a harsh timbre (not very optimistic on that one, though).  Another idea is to layer the two square channels with different duty cycles playing the same note on different octaves.  This will get closer to the guitar sound, but it sacrifices one of the other voices in the song.

#114 2016-11-27 02:26:51

Mmmmmm
Post 181/261

I tried raising an octave earlier and thought it made it sound cheaper. I'll attempt those other things though, and if I see something that works I'll post it to see if others also believe it works.

#115 2016-11-27 02:39:47

ShantyTown
Post 335/344

#116 2016-11-27 06:42:29

Mmmmmm
Post 182/261

Tried a combination of raising vibrato and increasing tone slightly at the start, I think it's an improvement compared to before. Also added a bit more vibrato to the melody in the latter section of the old WIP, and have a new section done as well that I think picks up a lot more relative to the last two due to there being much more aggressive background parts.

https://soundcloud.com/mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm … -bit-wip-3

Feedback is still appreciated, but if this seems good this will hopefully be my last WIP for this song.

#117 2016-11-27 07:26:59

ShantyTown
Post 337/344

In my opinion, the intro section sounds better to me with the rapid vibrato, but the main melody sounds better without the vibrato (like in your first WIP post).  It differentiates the two parts better.

#118 2016-12-10 19:52:02

Rangi
Post 377/933

Can you please demix the Malie City (Day) theme? It's culturally related to Johto, good for a more "traditional" location.

#119 2016-12-11 01:50:50

Mmmmmm
Post 188/261

I'll add Malie to the queue.

Finals study has hit me like a brick and I haven't put any time into Gladion's encounter lately, so when I eventually get that done I'm going to jump straight into your earlier three requests instead of following up with his battle theme like I planned. I apologize for the wait I'm currently putting you through.

Last edited by Mmmmmm (2016-12-11 02:38:15)

#120 2016-12-11 18:23:09

ShantyTown
Post 338/344

Mmmmm, would you mind if I did Malie City?  It sounds like you already have a bunch of of others you're planning on doing, and this song seems fun to make.

#121 2016-12-11 20:23:24

Mmmmmm
Post 189/261

Oh, of course, feel free.

#122 2016-12-12 02:52:24

Rangi
Post 380/933

Thanks, ShantyTown! (I recently copied your XY Bicycle demix to use for Cycling Road; it's great.)

One more request for either of you: the Black/White music for a Gym Leader's final Pokémon. Take your time, there are plenty of "small" features left for me to finish, so I won't be left waiting for music to release Polished Crystal. (Although I am looking forward to hearing how those battle themes sound.)

Good luck with finals!

(Edit: Ironically, this feature was rather quick to code, so with the proper music I can post a video of it.)

Y8heZTj.png

Edit 2: If you're doing the Mother Beast theme, maybe this GBA MIDI demix would help as a base.

Last edited by Rangi (2016-12-14 00:36:52)

#123 2016-12-15 01:41:35

Mmmmmm
Post 198/261

Ugh, I'm not satisfied with the end of this song but I'm just sick of it and want it over with so I can begin something else, so here's Gladion's encounter theme.

http://pastebin.com/PsN6ZxG3

I've managed to push myself through Sun and Moon's plethora of cutscenes enough to fight the Mother Beast so it'll be the next thing for me to do. It'll be nice having a song where I don't spend fifteen minutes on each individual measure because of how hard it is to make out the bass.

#124 2016-12-15 05:24:11

Rangi
Post 394/933

Gladion's theme sounds pretty good, it's not one that can really be done precisely with Gen 2's limited audio.

I've managed to push myself through Sun and Moon's plethora of cutscenes enough to fight the Mother Beast so it'll be the next thing for me to do.

Alright!

I didn't request the Sun/Moon wild and trainer battle themes before because while they sounded good, I didn't actually need them for anything. But they'd be perfect for this in-progress location. Mmmmmm or ShantyTown, can you please demix those?

Last edited by Rangi (2016-12-15 05:24:28)

#125 2017-01-04 06:41:22

Mmmmmm
Post 213/261

Vs. Mother Beast Lusamine:
http://pastebin.com/zWajMT3c

Really sorry for the long wait here, once I dedicated myself to actually completing the song instead of loitering around it got finished rather quickly. Some parts of the song are pretty obviously simplified for the sake of me not spending too long on it and moving on to your other requests, but I think the end result works as well as an atmospheric song like this is going to.

Board footer