Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#26 2016-04-19 07:57:12

Mmmmmm
Member
From: West Virginia
Registered: 2015-05-17
Post 18/261

Re: Expanding the Dex Past 255 Pokémon

Ledyba through Crobat are up.

I claim the Natu and Mareep lines next.

Offline

#27 2016-04-19 14:42:22

ShantyTown
Member
Registered: 2013-12-04
Post 277/344

Re: Expanding the Dex Past 255 Pokémon

Mmmmmm wrote:

Ledyba through Crobat are up.

I claim the Natu and Mareep lines next.

Awesome, I looked at the pull request, and I'll merge it tonight.  I added Chinchou and Lanturn yesterday.  One thing to be careful of in pokered is the difference between PSYCHIC and PSYCHIC_M.  The first one is for the type, and the second one is for the move.  (I just noticed that you used the wrong one for Ariados's EvosMoves data.)

Offline

#28 2016-04-19 22:26:07

Mmmmmm
Member
From: West Virginia
Registered: 2015-05-17
Post 19/261

Re: Expanding the Dex Past 255 Pokémon

Thank you for reminding me about the two Psychics; that's a thing with pokecrystal as well but it slipped my mind despite.


After completing the Natu and Mareep lines I added them to my Github page to make a pull request later, without realizing that updating the Github also updates the pull request. Everything is complete, however, so I just edited the message of said request to detail the additions of those five new Pokémon. I apologize for the inconvenience.

I next claim Bellossom, Marill, Azumarill, and Sudowoodo. I will make sure I don't make the mistake that led to me adding the Natu and Mareep lines prematurely, and if I complete them I will wait until the previous pull request has gone through.

Should I add the Sun Stone to the game, since stone evolutions are easy to implement?

Offline

#29 2016-04-20 02:26:35

ShantyTown
Member
Registered: 2013-12-04
Post 278/344

Re: Expanding the Dex Past 255 Pokémon

Mmmmmm wrote:

Thank you for reminding me about the two Psychics; that's a thing with pokecrystal as well but it slipped my mind despite.


After completing the Natu and Mareep lines I added them to my Github page to make a pull request later, without realizing that updating the Github also updates the pull request. Everything is complete, however, so I just edited the message of said request to detail the additions of those five new Pokémon. I apologize for the inconvenience.

I next claim Bellossom, Marill, Azumarill, and Sudowoodo. I will make sure I don't make the mistake that led to me adding the Natu and Mareep lines prematurely, and if I complete them I will wait until the previous pull request has gone through.

Should I add the Sun Stone to the game, since stone evolutions are easy to implement?

No worries abou the pull request. Everything was fine.

I'd like to ask you to please verify your changes a bit more carefully, though.  I found an evolution routine bug when I tried evolving Natu.  Also Mareep's palette was blue and Golbat evolved into Golbat.  They're small things, but I'd like to not have to go through every new pokemon.  (I've already fixed this stuff, FYI)

I'd say go for adding the Sun Stone if you're up for it!

Thanks!

Offline

#30 2016-04-20 02:59:12

Mmmmmm
Member
From: West Virginia
Registered: 2015-05-17
Post 20/261

Re: Expanding the Dex Past 255 Pokémon

Mareep's palette was blue intentionally, I thought the blue face was more important than the yellow wool, though if you disagree on that choice it's an acceptable opinion for you to have. I apologize for the Crobat error, but could you describe what's causing the issue with Natu? It's my fault for not checking in-game, but just looking at my code both Natu and Xatu seem to be properly done and their evolutionary tables closed off the right way, and I'm not sure what's causing it to evolve into Kadabra.

I've added all four Pokémon claimed earlier, and they all seem to evolve fine, but there's a bug regarding the Sun Stone where, even though Gloom can evolve into Bellossom with it, it lists Gloom as Not Able to evolve with it in the menu screen. Should I go forward with the pull request anyway, after doublechecking everything else of course?

Offline

#31 2016-04-20 03:12:01

ShantyTown
Member
Registered: 2013-12-04
Post 279/344

Re: Expanding the Dex Past 255 Pokémon

Mmmmmm wrote:

Mareep's palette was blue intentionally, I thought the blue face was more important than the yellow wool, though if you disagree on that choice it's an acceptable opinion for you to have. I apologize for the Crobat error, but could you describe what's causing the issue with Natu? It's my fault for not checking in-game, but just looking at my code both Natu and Xatu seem to be properly done and their evolutionary tables closed off the right way, and I'm not sure what's causing it to evolve into Kadabra.

I've added all four Pokémon claimed earlier, and they all seem to evolve fine, but there's a bug regarding the Sun Stone where, even though Gloom can evolve into Bellossom with it, it lists Gloom as Not Able to evolve with it in the menu screen. Should I go forward with the pull request anyway, after doublechecking everything else of course?

Ah, well it turns out the MEWMON palette looks really good for Mareep!  The evolution bug has actually always been there since I updated the evolution routines, it just so happened that the Xatu evolution data was the first to expose the bug.

Regarding the "Not Able" problem, if you don't want to investigate it, I don't mind taking a look after merging the pull request.  It might just be because pokemon red doesn't support level and stone evolutions at the same time.  If that's the case, I expect it to be an easy change to that routine.

Offline

#32 2016-04-20 03:23:01

Mateo
Member
From: The Sims 4
Registered: 2009-11-25
Post 3,298/3,578

Re: Expanding the Dex Past 255 Pokémon

Hmm, nope. Unless you guys managed to break it, Stone and Level evos can be on the same Pokémon and it will still show Able/Not Able correctly.

https://github.com/TheFakeMateo/RedPlus … .asm#L1874
rI2rw7q.png

I haven't looked to see how you have it with Gloom, but I'm thinking the order the evolutions are in matters, so Stone evos will need to be listed before level-up evos to work properly. That's how I have Slowpoke, and as you can see, it shows Able when I go to use a Moon Stone on him.

Offline

#33 2016-04-20 03:48:02

Mmmmmm
Member
From: West Virginia
Registered: 2015-05-17
Post 21/261

Re: Expanding the Dex Past 255 Pokémon

Further exploration has led me to gather that this error is occurring with all stone evolutions, actually. I'm not sure if this is a bug I've caused with my Sun Stone addition or if it's been there for a while.

I'm going to just make the pull request since I've checked everything else repeatedly and it all checks out, no bugs regarding evolutions or sprites or anysuch.

Offline

#34 2016-04-21 02:03:25

ShantyTown
Member
Registered: 2013-12-04
Post 280/344

Re: Expanding the Dex Past 255 Pokémon

Mmmmmm wrote:

Further exploration has led me to gather that this error is occurring with all stone evolutions, actually. I'm not sure if this is a bug I've caused with my Sun Stone addition or if it's been there for a while.

I'm going to just make the pull request since I've checked everything else repeatedly and it all checks out, no bugs regarding evolutions or sprites or anysuch.

I merged the pull request.  I left a comment explaining that rebasing to that branch should make it so only the relevant commits appear in the pull request.  I would normally NOT squash and merge the pull request, but the first couple ones you sent were full of lots of duplicate-looking commits and things like "I Fixed it!".  I figured I would just squash them to keep the history cleaner.

On another note, I can't reproduce the evolution stone bug you're talking about.  I tried it with lots of different pokemon/stone combos, and they all appear correctly in the party menu.  Are you testing by manually changing the pokemon ids in the debugger?  If so, remember that you have to change it in two places (wPartySpecies and wPartyMons).

For the record, Gloom properly evolves from both Leaf Stone and Sun Stone.

Last edited by ShantyTown (2016-04-21 02:05:57)

Offline

#35 2016-04-21 06:42:31

Mmmmmm
Member
From: West Virginia
Registered: 2015-05-17
Post 22/261

Re: Expanding the Dex Past 255 Pokémon

ShantyTown wrote:

Are you testing by manually changing the pokemon ids in the debugger?
For the record, Gloom properly evolves from both Leaf Stone and Sun Stone.

Yes, I was. I apologize for that, then.

I'll do Politoed, the Hoppip line, and Aipom next. Should I just have Politoed evolve via level-up, since Poliwrath is already a stone evolution?

Offline

#36 2016-04-21 14:47:09

ShantyTown
Member
Registered: 2013-12-04
Post 281/344

Re: Expanding the Dex Past 255 Pokémon

Mmmmmm wrote:

Should I just have Politoed evolve via level-up, since Poliwrath is already a stone evolution?

Sounds good to me!

Offline

#37 2016-04-22 10:57:10

KeiTaRo
Member
Registered: 2015-12-05
Post 18/56
Website

Re: Expanding the Dex Past 255 Pokémon

ShantyTown wrote:

Level Up while Holding the GameBoy upside down - Why does this even exist?

Hey, why not just use the gyroscope cartridge Kirby Tilt n Tumble had? :P :P :P

Anyways, this is really cool! I am mainly interested in the changes that move the trainer data out of the index numbers used by the Pokemon. I don't intend to expand my game to have more than 255 Pokemon, but I would like to use exactly that amount, and want to get the trainer ID's out of the way from there (in other words, I want to have a Pokemon be at $C9 instead of Youngster)

Looking at this commit, is it literally just as simple as moving those trainer related files to another bank? I assume there is way more to it, right? Could you possibly point me to which commits I should be looking at? I am having trouble distinguishing what changes are related to the expanded monster byte size and which ones are related to the changes I actually need to make. Thank you!

Last edited by KeiTaRo (2016-04-22 11:43:22)

Offline

#38 2016-04-22 14:26:20

Mateo
Member
From: The Sims 4
Registered: 2009-11-25
Post 3,300/3,578

Re: Expanding the Dex Past 255 Pokémon

Pretty sure the way he did it requires 2 byte IDs for Pokémon, and so trainers need the first byte of the ID to be FF of something.

I have trainer IDs separate from Pokémon in Red++ without having 2 byte IDs by copying over changes from Sanqui's pokered randomizer. You might want to look there instead  (either in the randomizer's source or Red++'s source.

Offline

#39 2016-04-22 14:35:49

daMoose52
Member
Registered: 2014-11-14
Post 44/108
Website

Re: Expanding the Dex Past 255 Pokémon

Mateo wrote:

Pretty sure the way he did it requires 2 byte IDs for Pokémon, and so trainers need the first byte of the ID to be FF of something.

I have trainer IDs separate from Pokémon in Red++ without having 2 byte IDs by copying over changes from Sanqui's pokered randomizer. You might want to look there instead  (either in the randomizer's source or Red++'s source.

This looks like those would be the Red++ changes?


Pokemon: Project Neo A Pokemon hack 15 years in the making...

Offline

#40 2016-04-22 15:02:43

Mateo
Member
From: The Sims 4
Registered: 2009-11-25
Post 3,301/3,578

Re: Expanding the Dex Past 255 Pokémon

That is at least most of them, I think there may have been another commit or two later to fix minor things. The randomizer had that spread over a few commits along with some that were changing what he'd already done, so I tried to get as much of it at once as I could. Hopefully I didn't miss anything in the process. (I say that because it seems to work fine, although one player mentioned that a legendary didn't disappear after battle like it was supposed to, even though they all seem to disappear for me, so not sure what that was. But I know this code deals with whether they disappear after battle or not, which is why I prefaced it with Hopefully I didn't miss anything.)


EDIT: Here is another commit related to the one you linked, it fixed an issue people were having with Snorlax sometimes being a Pokemon and sometimes being a glitch trainer. This wasn't actually in the randomizer.

This commit also seems to be related to these changes as well. I'm not sure what exactly caused it, but trainers who were supposed to stand still would all look every which way, which caused them to do buggy things like walk through trees since they were supposed to only face one way but they looked around instead. Again, copied from red randomizer.

This commit is also related to this. Trainers in Silph Co were disappearing after you battled them instead of disappearing after the Rocket Takeover was finished. Again, from the randomizer.


Needless to say, I get the feeling there is a cleaner way this could all be done, but I'm holding off on looking into that in my own hack until v3.0 because if start shifting wram and bank 0 around now, I'll break save compatibility in a minor update/bugfix release, which I am doing my best not to do if possible haha.

Last edited by Mateo (2016-04-22 15:31:44)

Offline

#41 2016-04-22 16:08:47

ShantyTown
Member
Registered: 2013-12-04
Post 283/344

Re: Expanding the Dex Past 255 Pokémon

KeiTaRo wrote:
ShantyTown wrote:

Level Up while Holding the GameBoy upside down - Why does this even exist?

Hey, why not just use the gyroscope cartridge Kirby Tilt n Tumble had? :P :P :P

Anyways, this is really cool! I am mainly interested in the changes that move the trainer data out of the index numbers used by the Pokemon. I don't intend to expand my game to have more than 255 Pokemon, but I would like to use exactly that amount, and want to get the trainer ID's out of the way from there (in other words, I want to have a Pokemon be at $C9 instead of Youngster)

Looking at this commit, is it literally just as simple as moving those trainer related files to another bank? I assume there is way more to it, right? Could you possibly point me to which commits I should be looking at? I am having trouble distinguishing what changes are related to the expanded monster byte size and which ones are related to the changes I actually need to make. Thank you!

As the others have mentioned above, you won't be able to use the same approach because it relies on pokemon and trainers using 2 bytes for their IDs.  Moving trainers to their own ID system does require some kind of other indicator that the ID in question is a trainer ID vs. a  pokemon ID.  This is because a lot of the routines in the engine assume trainers and pokemon are sharing a wram location for the ID.  (The wIsTrainerBattle byte in the examples Mateo gave are an example of what I'm trying to say).

My first instinct for implementing it would be the following:

1. In pokemon_constants.asm, define a TRAINER pokemon to equal $FE.
2. Create a new wram label for wTrainerId.
3. In the routines that are pivoting off of whether or not the Pokemon ID is greater than $C9, change them to instead look to see if the ID is equal to TRAINER.

This way, you're only taking up a single byte from pokemon IDs, rather than everything after $C9.  Note, that you'd also have to update all of the places that are adding $C8 to trainer ids.

Offline

#42 2016-04-23 09:18:49

KeiTaRo
Member
Registered: 2015-12-05
Post 19/56
Website

Re: Expanding the Dex Past 255 Pokémon

Mateo wrote:

That is at least most of them, I think there may have been another commit or two later to fix minor things. The randomizer had that spread over a few commits along with some that were changing what he'd already done, so I tried to get as much of it at once as I could. Hopefully I didn't miss anything in the process. (I say that because it seems to work fine, although one player mentioned that a legendary didn't disappear after battle like it was supposed to, even though they all seem to disappear for me, so not sure what that was. But I know this code deals with whether they disappear after battle or not, which is why I prefaced it with Hopefully I didn't miss anything.)


EDIT: Here is another commit related to the one you linked, it fixed an issue people were having with Snorlax sometimes being a Pokemon and sometimes being a glitch trainer. This wasn't actually in the randomizer.

This commit also seems to be related to these changes as well. I'm not sure what exactly caused it, but trainers who were supposed to stand still would all look every which way, which caused them to do buggy things like walk through trees since they were supposed to only face one way but they looked around instead. Again, copied from red randomizer.

This commit is also related to this. Trainers in Silph Co were disappearing after you battled them instead of disappearing after the Rocket Takeover was finished. Again, from the randomizer.


Needless to say, I get the feeling there is a cleaner way this could all be done, but I'm holding off on looking into that in my own hack until v3.0 because if start shifting wram and bank 0 around now, I'll break save compatibility in a minor update/bugfix release, which I am doing my best not to do if possible haha.

these totally did the trick! THANK YOU! I will need to play with these further :)

Offline

#43 2016-04-23 19:48:59

Mantidactyle
New member
Registered: 2016-04-23
Post 1/1

Re: Expanding the Dex Past 255 Pokémon

ShantyTown wrote:

Level Up while Holding the GameBoy upside down - Why does this even exist?

The closest way would be to use a MBC7 controller, but I think this is GBC only.

Offline

#44 2016-04-23 20:03:39

Mateo
Member
From: The Sims 4
Registered: 2009-11-25
Post 3,303/3,578

Re: Expanding the Dex Past 255 Pokémon

Mantidactyle wrote:
ShantyTown wrote:

Level Up while Holding the GameBoy upside down - Why does this even exist?

The closest way would be to use a MBC7 controller, but I think this is GBC only.

Not to mention that sort of behaviour would probably be unsupported by basically every emulator and flashcart out there, so there would be no way to access it in practice anyway.

Last edited by Mateo (2016-04-23 20:04:20)

Offline

#45 2016-04-24 05:51:26

Mmmmmm
Member
From: West Virginia
Registered: 2015-05-17
Post 24/261

Re: Expanding the Dex Past 255 Pokémon

Politoed—Aipom are up. I mentioned it in the pull request, but evos_moves.asm is now displaced by three moves from Skiploom onward because I wasn't sure whether to move the ghost and fossil Missingno. or not, so 188 is 191, 189 is 192, etc.

I'm unsure whether you would want to leave it alone and have that displacement or do something to those three Missingno. slots, so I just left it as is with the displacement when doing the pull request.

Offline

#46 2016-04-24 19:18:36

ShantyTown
Member
Registered: 2013-12-04
Post 286/344

Re: Expanding the Dex Past 255 Pokémon

Mmmmmm wrote:

Politoed—Aipom are up. I mentioned it in the pull request, but evos_moves.asm is now displaced by three moves from Skiploom onward because I wasn't sure whether to move the ghost and fossil Missingno. or not, so 188 is 191, 189 is 192, etc.

I'm unsure whether you would want to leave it alone and have that displacement or do something to those three Missingno. slots, so I just left it as is with the displacement when doing the pull request.

Thanks for the heads up.  I've merged it and fixed the displacement. (https://github.com/huderlem/pokered/com … 769ab1a110)  I also uncommented Mega Drain in the Hoppip line's evos_moves, since that's a move in Gen 1.

Offline

#47 2016-04-24 19:24:59

Mateo
Member
From: The Sims 4
Registered: 2009-11-25
Post 3,304/3,578

Re: Expanding the Dex Past 255 Pokémon

Honestly, I don't understand why you didn't just sort the original 151 by National Dex number when you were first redoing everything else, instead of keeping the first 190 slots a jumbled up mess, then switching to National Dex order after that. Not trying to sound rude or anything, just rather confused, since you were having to redo everything anyway to get it in the new format, why not take the opportunity to make it organized while you were doing it?

Last edited by Mateo (2016-04-24 19:25:59)

Offline

#48 2016-04-24 19:50:37

ShantyTown
Member
Registered: 2013-12-04
Post 287/344

Re: Expanding the Dex Past 255 Pokémon

Mateo wrote:

Honestly, I don't understand why you didn't just sort the original 151 by National Dex number when you were first redoing everything else, instead of keeping the first 190 slots a jumbled up mess, then switching to National Dex order after that. Not trying to sound rude or anything, just rather confused, since you were having to redo everything anyway to get it in the new format, why not take the opportunity to make it organized while you were doing it?

Because I was more interested in making the necessary changes than housekeeping.  I just wanted to see if this could be done.

Offline

#49 2016-04-24 20:45:29

Mateo
Member
From: The Sims 4
Registered: 2009-11-25
Post 3,305/3,578

Re: Expanding the Dex Past 255 Pokémon

ShantyTown wrote:
Mateo wrote:

Honestly, I don't understand why you didn't just sort the original 151 by National Dex number when you were first redoing everything else, instead of keeping the first 190 slots a jumbled up mess, then switching to National Dex order after that. Not trying to sound rude or anything, just rather confused, since you were having to redo everything anyway to get it in the new format, why not take the opportunity to make it organized while you were doing it?

Because I was more interested in making the necessary changes than housekeeping.  I just wanted to see if this could be done.

Fair enough. Like I say, I was just curious why it was done that way. I figured you had a reason, just wasn't sure what it was.

Last edited by Mateo (2016-04-24 20:45:47)

Offline

#50 2016-04-24 20:59:23

Mmmmmm
Member
From: West Virginia
Registered: 2015-05-17
Post 25/261

Re: Expanding the Dex Past 255 Pokémon

ShantyTown wrote:
Mmmmmm wrote:

Politoed—Aipom are up. I mentioned it in the pull request, but evos_moves.asm is now displaced by three moves from Skiploom onward because I wasn't sure whether to move the ghost and fossil Missingno. or not, so 188 is 191, 189 is 192, etc.

I'm unsure whether you would want to leave it alone and have that displacement or do something to those three Missingno. slots, so I just left it as is with the displacement when doing the pull request.

Thanks for the heads up.  I've merged it and fixed the displacement. (https://github.com/huderlem/pokered/com … 769ab1a110)  I also uncommented Mega Drain in the Hoppip line's evos_moves, since that's a move in Gen 1.

It is, huh. I just searched evos_moves.asm instead of looking at move constants, my bad.

I'll work on Espeon, Umbreon, Murkrow, Slowking, and Misdreavus, next. I plan on just using the Sun/Moon/Water Stones for Espeon/Umbreon/Slowking respectively.

Last edited by Mmmmmm (2016-04-24 21:03:51)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB