Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#51 2016-06-09 20:11:20

Pum
Post 39/80

Re: GSC 8-bit song devamps by Pum. (Last update 1/9/2018)

Miksy91 wrote:

Okay - got it working I think :)
I would like to know if you made it so the song starts repeating itself from the start like it does in the music video you uploaded though. I believe mine works almost the same way your song does until 1:05 (of the video) or so and then doesn't repeat and the music of different channels seem to end one after another. The thing that is different is that it sounds like in my "implementation" the sound channels seem to be in different order from what you have in that video. So should for example the first channel point to some other part of the binary music data than the "first part" of it?

I inserted the music by copy pasting the hex code of the binary file in the rom by the way (and made the header like "C0 [first ptr] 01 [second ptr] 02 [third ptr] 03 [fourth ptr]").

Yeah I forgot to mention this, you need to manually point where the Loop starts if you use the .bin. If you insert the ASM manually with GSCImport it should get it done by itself, even though sometimes it bugs out and doesnt work properly.

At the end of every channel, you have to see the following bytes : FD 00 XX YY FF

FD 00 is the command to jump to another part of the song, so the loop can work

XX YY is the pointer to where to jump

FF is the end of the song

You basicly have to fill up the XX and YY. The best way is to see where the loop is and identify the notes around it.

For example, in the song I sent you, the loop for the first channel 1 is at the Bar 5 http://puu.sh/pmPCI/51e4ca21ea.png

Right after the loop i have the command pkmsSetNtr $C, 9, 8 to change the volumen and note lenght. So I look for 0C 98 (0C for the $C and 98 for  the 9,8), before the 0C there will be the byte that represents pkmsSetNtr , which is D8. So I look for that byte and I see that behind the D8 there is a C0 and a 00, which makes sense since 00 is Rst with lenght 0 and C0 is note B with lenght 0, and you can see those before the loop in the .asm.

So I look where the D8 is in the ROM and change the loop pointer to that. And repeat with all 4 channels (each channel having a different loop start of course).

To see what byte corresponds with each note/command just look at pkms.asm

Last edited by Pum (2016-06-09 20:16:36)

#52 2016-06-17 16:23:01

Pum
Post 40/80

Just finished both VS Battle Frontier Brain themes (From HG/SS and Emerald)

HG/SS: VS Battle Frontier Brain:

My Midi
Original

Emerald: VS Battle Frontier Brain:

My Midi
Original

#53 2016-07-06 01:49:28

Pum
Post 41/80

Small Update, 2 more songs from Golden Sun.

Dark Dawn : Journeying the Land:

Mi Midi
Original

The Lost Age : Mars Lighthouse:

Mi Midi
Original

Last edited by Pum (2016-07-06 02:23:39)

#54 2016-07-23 13:20:14

Pum
Post 42/80

Another Update:

R/S/E : Route 120:

My Midi
Original

Pokemon Colosseum - Normal Battle Theme

Mi Midi
Original

Pokemon XD - MirorB Battle Theme

Mi Midi
Original

This is the first MIDI I made from scratch.

Tech Groove:

My Midi

Also made a V2.0 from the Special Battle theme from Conquest:

V2.0

Last edited by Pum (2016-07-23 13:20:38)

#55 2016-07-28 17:29:22

pepitopon
Post 7/38

I love your songs! How can i change the original songs of pokemon red for these? Have you got a .asm for pokered?

Congrats for these nice midis.

#56 2016-07-29 00:03:50

Pum
Post 43/80

pepitopon wrote:

I love your songs! How can i change the original songs of pokemon red for these? Have you got a .asm for pokered?

Congrats for these nice midis.

Thanks!

However I made these songs with pokecrystal (more specifically using MIDI2GSC from Frogger), not pokered. I'm not sure in the compatibility between the two, but if they can work you can ask for any song you want and I'll send you the .asm via email.

#57 2016-07-31 16:27:42

Rangi
Post 56/870

Can you please email me the Route 120 asm? I'd like to use it in Polished Crystal.

Pokémon Polished Crystal (GitHub) — version 2.2.0 released
Pokémon Red★ and Blue★: Space World Edition (GitHub) — updated August 19!
Polished Map: pokered+pokecrystal map, tileset, and palette editor — version 3.5.1 released!

#58 2016-07-31 17:27:48

Pum
Post 44/80

Sure, whats your email?

#59 2016-08-07 11:47:40

Pum
Post 45/80

Two more:

Pokemon Colosseum - MirorB Battle Theme

Original
My Midi

B/W : VS Trainer:

Original
My Midi

Last edited by Pum (2016-08-07 11:48:05)

#60 2016-08-11 00:46:32

Rangi
Post 80/870

Hey Pum, your Gym Leader theme devamps are great. Do you think you could also do the Champion themes? In particular I have a use for the R/S/E and D/P/Pt ones.

Polished Map: pokered+pokecrystal map, tileset, and palette editor — version 3.5.1 released!

#61 2016-08-12 15:46:41

Pum
Post 47/80

Rangi wrote:

Hey Pum, your Gym Leader theme devamps are great. Do you think you could also do the Champion themes? In particular I have a use for the R/S/E and D/P/Pt ones.

Thanks! I actually just made a second version of the Black and White Gym theme.

However I dont plan on making any Champion themes because all the MIDIs I am currently making have a planned usage on my ROM Hack (Not public yet). And I dont find any usage for those themes yet, however I might make them in the future If I find and scenario where I'd need them.

#62 2016-08-12 23:18:09

Rangi
Post 85/870

No problem. Can't wait to see your ROM hack if you're using these tracks in it!

By the way, the link to your v2 of Route 47 doesn't work. And, would you mind emailing me the revised .asm? (Thanks again for letting me use it before.)

#63 2016-08-19 00:55:40

Pum
Post 48/80

Rangi wrote:

No problem. Can't wait to see your ROM hack if you're using these tracks in it!

By the way, the link to your v2 of Route 47 doesn't work. And, would you mind emailing me the revised .asm? (Thanks again for letting me use it before.)

Thanks! I fixed the Route 47 link and I'll send you the asm in a moment (I also tried improving the intro a bit).

Also, 4 new songs:

B/W : Sanyou City:

Original
My Midi

B/W : Ruta 11:

Original
My Midi

HGSS Ho-Oh Battle theme:
V2.0

Final Fantasy VIII: Blue Fields
Mi Midi
Original

Last edited by Pum (2016-08-19 00:56:12)

#64 2016-08-19 04:55:07

Mmmmmm
Post 77/261

Your BW Gym Leader theme, Striaton theme, and Route 11 covers are all really noticeable improvements, enough so that I feel I should compliment them!

I wanted to give a few light criticisms, mainly for Route 11 just because I myself have made an attempt at covering it; I don't want to heavily criticize it because some of the changes are just artistic differences, but these are moreso general suggestions for song improvements rather than with this specific song.

I think the melody is a bit too soft as a whole, and that the shorter notes could all be improved by splitting them into two different notes, one having an $x0 intensity (I'm not sure what better term I could use) where it doesn't change volume and the other having an intensity that fades. As is, they fade too quickly and it further contributes to my feeling of the melody being too soft. It seems like you're already doing it to the longer notes in the melody, so that's good.

The second half of the song's rapid notes feel like they're out of sync; I ended up just cutting it from my version of the song due to not being able to feel what the rhythm there is, but I think you should listen harder to make sure they're synced up with the other channels right if you're going to keep it, though I would have placed higher priority on getting the bells into the cover anyway. I know I said I'd avoid bringing up what could just be artistic differences, but the reason I bring up you choosing to cover that is that, I think in general one of the flaws with your covers is that you seem to copy entire channels wholesale, even if parts of it don't work as well priority-wise as the rest of that channel. The first thing I do when conceptualizing a cover is listening to the song and determining what parts of it are the most important, and then I look at the MIDI and see where those are; if one of the GSC channels' conceptualized parts are from two different MIDI channels in the original song, I would convert both of those to the right format and then splice them together, changing things like dutycycle in the process if I want them to feel more distinctly like different parts (i.e. the harmony in my Route 12 cover switches from dutycycle 0 to dutycycle 2 when I replace it with the bell section, and back again when I go to the harmony).

For Striaton City, I would raise the volume of the melody when a channel has it, and also lower the volume of the other pulse channel, so the melody can stand out more. It also doesn't seem to loop properly.

These are smaller things I've noticed more specifically with the covers of yours used in Polished Crystal that can help your compositions in general, but if you have triplet notes in a song, instead of changing them to a 3-3-2 rhythm (like your Route 120 cover does) you can more accurately port them by changing the notetype to one two-thirds the size of your standard notetype, and changing back when you return to normal notes. I always use $c as my default notetype length, and switch to $8  when I need to do triplets; sometimes I also use $6 and $4 if it's a faster-than-normal section in the song. I also recommend not putting the melody of a song on Channel 1; when I entered Route 47 in Polished Crystal and your cover played, I would sometimes accidentally cut out the music entirely during the start of the song when only Channel 1 is playing, because that's the channel used for sound effects like bumping into walls.

I hope you continue to improve the way you have been, and wish you luck on your future covers!

#65 2016-08-20 01:41:31

Pum
Post 49/80

First of all, many thanks for the criticism, its always highly appreciated. The responses are bolded in the quote.

Mmmmmm wrote:

Your BW Gym Leader theme, Striaton theme, and Route 11 covers are all really noticeable improvements, enough so that I feel I should compliment them!

I wanted to give a few light criticisms, mainly for Route 11 just because I myself have made an attempt at covering it; I don't want to heavily criticize it because some of the changes are just artistic differences, but these are moreso general suggestions for song improvements rather than with this specific song.

Yeah, I had already listened to your cover but I personally preferred not going for the bells since I like how this song sounds quite calm to me, and I like the low pitched notes and feeling on these kind of songs, therefore using the Duty 2 instead of the one you used (0 iirc).

I think the melody is a bit too soft as a whole, and that the shorter notes could all be improved by splitting them into two different notes, one having an $x0 intensity (I'm not sure what better term I could use) where it doesn't change volume and the other having an intensity that fades. As is, they fade too quickly and it further contributes to my feeling of the melody being too soft. It seems like you're already doing it to the longer notes in the melody, so that's good.

I usually do that on songs with notes that last longer than 16 semiquavers, however in this case I really liked how the 2nd Pulse and Noise channels sounded, so I stayed with that version, I actually did try increasing the strength of the 1st Pulse channel but I preferred the current result.

The second half of the song's rapid notes feel like they're out of sync; I ended up just cutting it from my version of the song due to not being able to feel what the rhythm there is, but I think you should listen harder to make sure they're synced up with the other channels right if you're going to keep it, though I would have placed higher priority on getting the bells into the cover anyway.

I see where you can feel the out of sync from the Wave channel, specially at the middle of the second half, however It felt perfectly synced for me with the Pulse 1 channel, so I kept it.

I know I said I'd avoid bringing up what could just be artistic differences, but the reason I bring up you choosing to cover that is that, I think in general one of the flaws with your covers is that you seem to copy entire channels wholesale, even if parts of it don't work as well priority-wise as the rest of that channel. The first thing I do when conceptualizing a cover is listening to the song and determining what parts of it are the most important, and then I look at the MIDI and see where those are; if one of the GSC channels' conceptualized parts are from two different MIDI channels in the original song, I would convert both of those to the right format and then splice them together, changing things like dutycycle in the process if I want them to feel more distinctly like different parts (i.e. the harmony in my Route 12 cover switches from dutycycle 0 to dutycycle 2 when I replace it with the bell section, and back again when I go to the harmony).

When I do make a MIDI I usually, just like you, listen to the song multiple times to recognize the main melodies and crucial parts of the song, and then I try to have as many parts of the original song as I can in the 3 main channels. I do admit I usually make the mistake of not making clear changes between different parts of the different original channels that have been merged onto one single channel, Sometimes I just forgot about it or simply dont really like any different Dutycicle, however I see it as a mistake and I'll try to fix it for future covers. There are a few examples where I do these changes tho, but mostly because of how needed they were.

For Striaton City, I would raise the volume of the melody when a channel has it, and also lower the volume of the other pulse channel, so the melody can stand out more. It also doesn't seem to loop properly.

Yeah the loop for this one was really weird and actually kinda rushed, I'll probably have it fixed for my ROM, and if someone asks for the ASM I'll always provide the lastest version I have. About the Melody, Pretty much as before, sometimes I like merging both the principal melody and the Background music to sound at the same level so nothing stands out, outshining the rest of the channels. One thing I usually get and dont really like is having just a melody and some unnoticeable noise in the background. However I take note, I can see my "melody-being-barely-noticeable" "flaw" being a bit too common.

These are smaller things I've noticed more specifically with the covers of yours used in Polished Crystal that can help your compositions in general, but if you have triplet notes in a song, instead of changing them to a 3-3-2 rhythm (like your Route 120 cover does) you can more accurately port them by changing the notetype to one two-thirds the size of your standard notetype, and changing back when you return to normal notes. I always use $c as my default notetype length, and switch to $8  when I need to do triplets; sometimes I also use $6 and $4 if it's a faster-than-normal section in the song. I also recommend not putting the melody of a song on Channel 1; when I entered Route 47 in Polished Crystal and your cover played, I would sometimes accidentally cut out the music entirely during the start of the song when only Channel 1 is playing, because that's the channel used for sound effects like bumping into walls.

I usually just double the lenght of the notes and double the tempo in case I have any significant group of notes shorter than a semiquaver (I only do the doublage for that specific part of the song) , so if I have like 2.5-2.5-2.5, they just become 5-5-5 but at double speed, I'm not using the individual channel tempo because I have a planned usage for that outside of the MIDIs themselves, plus it would desync unless all 4 channels change at the same time. This makes the song a bit bigger (any note longer than 9 semiquavers will double in size), but makes fast paced notes doable.

Also about the Channel 1 using the sound effects cutting the music. While with route themes I just did them as I pleased because I'm planning on removing most sound effects that are just mere beeps like when you click on a menu, I will probably rework some battle themes for this particular reason, even tho some will just have to be cut sometimes, like in the original game.

I hope you continue to improve the way you have been, and wish you luck on your future covers!

Thanks! I would appreciate your input on my attempt at making the Ho-Oh theme, I just couldn't handle the Drum section any better at the beggining so I'd want your opinion on it.

Last edited by Pum (2016-08-20 01:42:18)

#66 2016-08-20 03:12:21

Mmmmmm
Post 80/261

Your Ho-Oh cover sounds really muddy, to be honest. If a section of a song just doesn't work in 8-bit, like if it's too percussion-heavy, it's probably best to just cut that section. I really, really admire pigu's cover for how clean it sounds. It trims the fat and only keeps the parts of the songs that work, and added a new opening that better matches the style of the Gen 1 and 2 battle themes. I once tried making a cover of the XY Gym Leader theme, and I hate it, it's my worst cover, because I tried staying too close to the original and parts of the song are just way too muddy. If I ever make a V2 like I've been planning on doing since I made the V1, I'm going to have to similarly trim the fat and make a new intro to try to clean it up.

Obviously you don't want to copy pigu's cover 1:1, if you did you'd just use his cover in the first place and I get the impression you want all your songs in your hack to be made by you; if you were going to try to keep the slow opening section in the original, I'd raise the instruments by a couple octaves so you can more distinctly make out the channels, and keep the parts with more movement on the pulse channels so you can raise and lower the volume of the notes more precisely. I'm not sure what else I can say to help, since I'm still an amateur, but I'd definitely suggest at least cutting the percussion-only sections for the same reason I need to cut the more "ambient" sections from my XY Gym Leader attempt, and then trying to bridge the end and beginning of the loop together with something relatively melodic like the new section pigu wrote in his cover.

Last edited by Mmmmmm (2016-08-20 03:14:20)

#67 2016-09-05 01:26:19

Pum
Post 51/80

Mmmmmm wrote:

Your Ho-Oh cover sounds really muddy, to be honest. If a section of a song just doesn't work in 8-bit, like if it's too percussion-heavy, it's probably best to just cut that section. I really, really admire pigu's cover for how clean it sounds. It trims the fat and only keeps the parts of the songs that work, and added a new opening that better matches the style of the Gen 1 and 2 battle themes. I once tried making a cover of the XY Gym Leader theme, and I hate it, it's my worst cover, because I tried staying too close to the original and parts of the song are just way too muddy. If I ever make a V2 like I've been planning on doing since I made the V1, I'm going to have to similarly trim the fat and make a new intro to try to clean it up.

Obviously you don't want to copy pigu's cover 1:1, if you did you'd just use his cover in the first place and I get the impression you want all your songs in your hack to be made by you; if you were going to try to keep the slow opening section in the original, I'd raise the instruments by a couple octaves so you can more distinctly make out the channels, and keep the parts with more movement on the pulse channels so you can raise and lower the volume of the notes more precisely. I'm not sure what else I can say to help, since I'm still an amateur, but I'd definitely suggest at least cutting the percussion-only sections for the same reason I need to cut the more "ambient" sections from my XY Gym Leader attempt, and then trying to bridge the end and beginning of the loop together with something relatively melodic like the new section pigu wrote in his cover.

Hey Sorry I took so long to reply but I had been busy these days.

Yeah I'll probably make a V3 for the ho-oh theme with my own intro and just get rid of the percussion parts, I mostly did this one as an experiment.
Also I, like you, made a XY Gym cover a long time ago and I can feel that "mud" from it, I'll try to make an V2.0 soon.

By the way, I finished this D/P/Pt cover a while ago, I hope you like it.

#68 2016-09-05 07:20:18

Dishwasher Dewott
Post 20/29

Pum wrote:

Two more:

Pokemon Colosseum - MirorB Battle Theme

Original
My Midi

B/W : VS Trainer:

Original
My Midi

To be honest, I prefer this version from XD: Gale of Darkness here.
It's just so FUNKY! Oh! (>^o^<) Y'know? Really gets ya Movin'!

Pokémon GBC Rom Hack Critic
Ever since I played Mateo's Halloween Hack (Pokémon Spirits and Legends) I instantly fell in love with finding & playing more and more Rom Hacks, (Both GBC & GBA)
(>^w^<)

#69 2016-09-05 15:59:12

Pum
Post 52/80

Dishwasher Dewott wrote:

I tried that one some weeks ago

Last edited by Pum (2016-09-05 16:00:51)

#70 2016-09-06 13:50:58

Dishwasher Dewott
Post 21/29

Pum wrote:
Dishwasher Dewott wrote:

I tried that one some weeks ago

Even in 8-bit this version had me Movin' & Groovin' as I spun around in my chair! (>^w^<) I think it's GREAT!

Pokémon GBC Rom Hack Critic
Ever since I played Mateo's Halloween Hack (Pokémon Spirits and Legends) I instantly fell in love with finding & playing more and more Rom Hacks, (Both GBC & GBA)
(>^w^<)

#71 2016-09-14 01:33:50

Pum
Post 53/80

Just finished the B/W wild pokemon theme, the intro (0:05 - 0:07) was kinda odd to make since I couldn't figure out a combination of Stereo and Vibrato to make it sound like the original, at the end I finished up with that (its just pure stereo switching between notes)

Original
My Midi

#72 2016-09-15 02:52:13

Fotomac
Post 231/332

These devamps may be of real help to me for my new concept, the Restored Monochrome Versions of Ruby and Sapphire.

#73 2016-10-08 16:10:39

Pum
Post 56/80

2 more

OR/AS : Wild Pokemon Theme

Original
My Midi

D/P/Pt : Vs Trainer Theme

Original
My Midi

Last edited by Pum (2016-10-08 16:10:59)

#74 2016-10-08 19:43:19

Rangi
Post 242/870

Pum wrote:

2 more

OR/AS : Wild Pokemon Theme

Original
My Midi

D/P/Pt : Vs Trainer Theme

Original
My Midi

Nice work! These sound "deeper" than some of your other tracks, more notes going on at once.

Can you please email me the source code for your B/W VS Trainer theme? I'd like to use it for Battle Tower trainers.

#75 2016-10-08 19:59:14

Pum
Post 57/80

Sent! And yeah, I kinda feel the DPPt Trainer one may be a bit too noisy at the end tho.

Board footer