Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#126 2017-03-31 01:34:49

Mateo
Post 3,467/3,578

Re: [Red Hack] Pokémon Red++ - v2.4.2 Released

Mmmmmm wrote:

Oh wow, so you already have part of the game functioning in color? Looks good, but I'm not a fan of how the path just abruptly stops at the route above Cerulean. I had a similar problem with it in Polished Crystal but Rangi happened to add an extra route there that forms a loop before I thought to criticize it. It just seems like the map is incomplete without a dark border at the end.

I feel something like this mockup would look better:
http://i.imgur.com/Zyu32eB.jpg

I have a similar issue with the paths leading into the ocean in the south, but I don't have any ideas to make them look better, since a solid black border clashes with the soft blue color of the water.

Yeah, I agree that it looks odd just ending abruptly like that. I know I'll be making some other tweaks as well, so I'll look into ways to improve those things. For example, I forgot to use the green versions of the town icons for areas like Viridian Forest and the Power Plant and whatnot the way I did in Christmas, instead using cave icons.

As for having part of it in color, I guess I should probably clarify. After consulting with Danny-E 33, I've been working on copying my changes over to pokered-gbc instead of attempting to re-implement color from scratch (and trying to merge it through git was going to be a nightmare). It isn't really starting from scratch, though, since copy and pasting things is a lot quicker than making up the changes and manually typing the new data and whatnot was the first time around. So it will be better in the long run, it's just a delay. But I've been saying from the start that v3.0 would take a long time to be ready because I anticipated something like this might end up having to happen to achieve the things I want.

#127 2017-03-31 03:11:21

Mmmmmm
Post 243/261

Oh, I see. I had thought you were avoiding pokered-gbc just because of the alleged hardware damage, but I suppose you could just try fixing the bugs in the codebase to prevent that.

#128 2017-03-31 03:37:05

Mateo
Post 3,468/3,578

I was originally, for that reason. But like you say, it is only "alleged" hardware damage, since (if I remember) it was only reported once by a user who wasn't actually sure that it was pokered-gbc that caused the issue and not just the fact that the system wasn't in the best shape to begin with. In the end, I figured it would be a lot easier to port my code to pokered-gbc, take time to familiarize myself with the code, and try to troubleshoot any potential issues than it would be to try to reimplement all of that from scratch. Plus, that was several years ago and pokered-gbc has been updated some since then so it may not even be an issue anymore regardless.

#129 2017-04-02 21:30:01

Mateo
Post 3,469/3,578

I decided that, since we have a shared universe anyway, I might as well just go ahead and use Polished Crystal's Kanto map. So today, I took care of that.

wleLL4k.png

While I was in there, I also rewrote the way it stores Town Map location coordinates, since the Gen 1 method was (as usual) very limiting, and didn't give you access to the whole map.

#130 2017-04-03 00:09:51

Mmmmmm
Post 247/261

Hm. Does that mean you plan for Route 26 to be available in Beta 3.0? I know you said you were considering adding Johto but I wasn't sure if that was a 3.0 goal or not since an entire region is a lot of work. You're definitely one of the more motivated hackers in the community, without a doubt, but it seems like a lot to work on considering you already want to expand data for things like Pokémon and moves, add full color, add the Battle Tower/Factory, etc.

#131 2017-04-03 00:32:42

Mateo
Post 3,470/3,578

Mmmmmm wrote:

Hm. Does that mean you plan for Route 26 to be available in Beta 3.0? I know you said you were considering adding Johto but I wasn't sure if that was a 3.0 goal or not since an entire region is a lot of work. You're definitely one of the more motivated hackers in the community, without a doubt, but it seems like a lot to work on considering you already want to expand data for things like Pokémon and moves, add full color, add the Battle Tower/Factory, etc.

I plan to have at least part of Johto accessible, hopefully in a way that I can add more of it without breaking saves, so that it doesn't all have to be completed by 3.0 but can be expanded as it goes. My goal was to put the Battle Tower, Battle Factory, and Battle Tent near Olivine where the Battle Tower was in Crystal, and have you originally go to Johto via the Seagallop Ferry. So yeah, the plan is to have (at the very least) part of Johto available in v3.0 (which I've already been saying will probably be a long wait) and, if all goes well, maybe have all of it. But you're right, that is definitely an ambitious goal, and I don't make any guarantees that all of Johto would be in v3 from the start.

#132 2017-04-19 11:30:25

Mateo
Post 3,471/3,578

zcwwsAZ.png d5rz2TM.png

#133 2017-06-27 09:23:41

value chain
Post 32/42

Hey Mateo!
I decided to start playing hacks other people made, and this is the first one. It's amazing! So fun! Congratulations for making this great hack.
I don't know if you're aware of this, or even if it's intended, but i found out that if you check a shiny pokemon's status screen, then you check the pokedex, it will show you the shiny palettes of every pokemon. Watching a non shiny status screen fixes this. You might as well add a loading palette subroutine on engine/menu/pokedex.asm
I hope you keep up the good work :D

Last edited by value chain (2017-06-27 09:24:14)

#134 2017-06-27 12:53:49

Mateo
Post 3,479/3,578

Thanks for pointing that out! That wasn't intentional, but at least it doesn't really hurt anything that it does that for now. I'll make a note to fix it for the next version.

#135 2017-07-11 02:50:05

break
Post 57/65
Website

@Mateo 

Wow, really enjoying reading the updates. 

Would it be possible to mail/message me the full list of change logs for this hack ?

I am very interested to learn how you implemented these changes.

#136 2017-07-11 03:58:46

Mateo
Post 3,482/3,578

I do indeed have a log of how I implemented these things. Just check the commit log on github. I link to the project's page several times in the first post. Hope that helps!

#137 2017-07-11 22:28:53

break
Post 59/65
Website

@Mateo

Thanks, I took a few hours to read through your commits up until your first commit in 2014~2015. 

You have implemented quite a few lines of code that I am very interested in adopting in my hack as well.

Hmm...what would be better ?

Grabbing Pokémon Red++ from GitHub or getting the default Pokered from GitHub and make the edits your have made in your commits ?

* very interested in trying out the trainer class edits *

#138 2017-07-11 23:07:02

Mateo
Post 3,483/3,578

It would be a lot easier to just use Red++'s code than trying to redo it all again.

#139 2017-07-11 23:43:49

break
Post 61/65
Website

Mateo wrote:

It would be a lot easier to just use Red++'s code than trying to redo it all again.

Okay, I am still a bit new to GitHub and Cywin. 

* still learning the ins and outs of them *

So if I grab Red++ from your GitHub...it would be a "branch" of your game ?

Currently trying to get down the terminology of everything  ^_^"

#140 2017-07-12 00:05:23

Mateo
Post 3,484/3,578

If you got your own copy, that would be a fork. And you could have separate branches on your fork if you wanted. For example, my repository has the "Master" branch which is up-to-date, the "Compatible" branch which is still on v2.4.1 in case I need it, and the "Color" branch which is really just pokered-gbc with some changes  (that I've been posting screenshots of) which will be merged in to Master once Danny finishes up the stuff he's been working on.

#141 2017-07-12 00:36:54

break
Post 62/65
Website

@Mateo

Well, back in early 2013, user "Danny-E 33" helped me setup a GitHub account followed by walking me through the installation of Python, Cywin, and Notepad++

Shortly after, I got pulled away from the GEN-I hacking world.

Long story short, now I once again have the time and interest to get back into hacking again.

However, I am trying to get a hold of these terms "branch", "fork", and "repository"

I still have my notes of a few Cywin commands, but currently trying to get a handle on how to grab the updated GEN-I GitHub files and edit them to make my own hack.

#142 2017-07-13 18:28:02

2qe6647
Post 16/19

question:

If I wanted to "edit" your hack to play it myself with a few changes, since is in ASM, you would just need to open it with a proper text editor (now using notepad++), it would be as easy as edit whatever needed and keep the format? so far I've only touched a few base stats, learnsets, and moves.

still unsure about how it works around adding new lines of text. the only new line I added was in high critical moves, right after aeorblast and before dollar FF.

all I need to do is to compile it myself and it should make a working rom, right?

edit: I managed to follow the tutorial, I got everything to work, although I had to deactivate avast because I kept getting an error at the end. First it got stuck several times, with the images and other files, but now that everything is almost ready, I get this error

rgbasm -D _RED -h -o wram_red.o wram.asm
ERROR: wram.asm(3309):
        Constant mustn't be negative: -2
make: *** [Makefile:37: wram_red.o] Error 5

I couldn't download the python and the other stuff's version as shown in the video as I was forced to choose a newer version, but I simply choosed the latest version of rgbds, would it work with the version shown in the tutorial or is a different error?

Last edited by 2qe6647 (2017-07-13 20:14:10)

#143 2017-07-13 22:22:52

Mateo
Post 3,486/3,578

It has to be the version of RGBDS that it lists, newer versions do not work as intended.

#144 2017-07-14 12:42:30

2qe6647
Post 17/19

thanks, it worked.
I had a problem with a line in a file, I don't have the error now, but it said a problem with the objet ANCIENT_POWER, I think is either because I tried to add ancientpower in the high crit moves, or because I tried swapping the "animations" of rock tomb and ancientpower (rock slide for rock throw.
the other changes I made was just line edits. I guess that for adding extra lines I should learn more about ASM

#145 2017-07-18 02:13:04

Mateo
Post 3,488/3,578

It had a problem with it because the constant is ANCIENTPOWER not ANCIENT_POWER

https://github.com/TheFakeMateo/RedPlus … stants.asm

#146 2017-07-19 19:26:53

2qe6647
Post 18/19

thank you, will check the constants the next time I try something else.

So as long as the costants are good, you can add more lines to movesets/stuff, over certain limits, right?

#147 2017-07-19 22:51:19

Mateo
Post 3,491/3,578

Right

#148 2017-07-24 04:40:19

Drenn
Post 55/61

Hey Mateo, I thought I should let you know I'll be releasing an update to pokered-gbc soon. Most importantly it'll fix the various graphical corruption bugs in older verions. I don't know how you dealt with those, or if they're still issues in your color branch. If they are, you may be interested in this update. I've also been adding lots of comments, which you may appreciate. The best comments are truly written the second time you read your code...

Anyway, take a look if you're interested. If I don't find any more problems I'll be releasing it as-is. https://github.com/Drenn1/pokered-gbc

I've been trying to keep the diff with the master branch as "clean" as possible, so you may have some success merging. Easier said than done, though.

I think it would be very cool to see someone use the color hack without limiting themselves to the original graphics, as it looks like you have not. I like what I've seen so far. :)

#149 2017-07-24 05:45:14

Mateo
Post 3,493/3,578

Oh hey, that's cool news! I know Danny volunteered to merge the existing pokered-gbc branch and said there weren't too many conflicts, but we've both been pretty busy with real life lately, so I'm not entirely sure what his status on that is. I had not yet dealt with those bugs, though. I know it still has the issues of "not playing nice with VBA but works in BGB" from before, and sometimes maps will render tiles incorrectly for no immediately apparent reason and then fix themselves. So if any of those are fixed, that would be nice. The added comments will definitely be nice, since one of the things on my todo list is to look into moving the tileset into VRAM1 to make all 256 tiles available, and of course still needing to keep the font in VRAM0. (I thought about doing it the Crystal way, putting half in each VRAM bank, but that would involve shared tile IDs which would require rewriting the collision system, while putting the whole thing in VRAM1 like we used to do with Gold/Silver wouldn't have that issue.)

And yeah, so often it seems like people just apply the pokered-gbc patch and call it a day, and never bother to actually change the tiles. I assumed part of that came from the fact that palette assignments were still basically a mess of bin files, so I converted them to pokecrystal-inspired .asm files in danny's version. Not sure what your current update does for that sort of thing yet, since I haven't looked through it yet. But it sounds like a really nice set of updates, and I appreciate you letting me know about that!

EDIT: Looking through the commits, I'm a bit confused by one or two things. For example, why did you use hard-coded map IDs instead of the named constants in this section? Other than that sort of thing, looks like it was a definitely worthwhile set of updates though. Maybe I skipped a commit somewhere in the process of reading over them, but am I correct in noticing that VBA support was fixed, but then broken again? Haha.

Either way, I'll probably end up wanting/needing to redo some of the changes in the "color" branch to make sure they keep the new updates in mind. Just to be safe and everything.

EDIT2: Also, things like this are what I was wanting to do, which is why I would need to move tilesets to VRAM1.
41yXuzP.png

There would obviously be multiple outdoor tilesets that correspond to various connected areas in order to have whatever tiles are needed, but yeah. Basically taking what I did with Christmas and going nuts. The green palette I used in that false-colored image would of course use the first shade in the palette for the base grass color, so that with the same sort of setting used to walk in grass, you could walk behind the tree tops (kinda like Christmas, where I let you walk behind the walls in Ruins of Alph).

I'm obviously not assuming you would move that stuff in the normal version of pokered-gbc since there is no reason to there. I just wanted to sort of explain why I wanted to make it happen in Red++ eventually, if possible.

Last edited by Mateo (2017-07-24 07:43:14)

#150 2017-07-24 13:01:18

Drenn
Post 56/61

Mateo wrote:

EDIT: Looking through the commits, I'm a bit confused by one or two things. For example, why did you use hard-coded map IDs instead of the named constants in this section?

No real reason, old habits I guess. I'll go ahead and fix that.

Other than that sort of thing, looks like it was a definitely worthwhile set of updates though. Maybe I skipped a commit somewhere in the process of reading over them, but am I correct in noticing that VBA support was fixed, but then broken again? Haha.

Yeah, at this point I'm calling the lack of VBA support a feature. It hasn't been updated in 11 years, I mean, come on.

EDIT2: Also, things like this are what I was wanting to do, which is why I would need to move tilesets to VRAM1.
http://i.imgur.com/41yXuzP.png

There would obviously be multiple outdoor tilesets that correspond to various connected areas in order to have whatever tiles are needed, but yeah. Basically taking what I did with Christmas and going nuts. The green palette I used in that false-colored image would of course use the first shade in the palette for the base grass color, so that with the same sort of setting used to walk in grass, you could walk behind the tree tops (kinda like Christmas, where I let you walk behind the walls in Ruins of Alph).

I'm obviously not assuming you would move that stuff in the normal version of pokered-gbc since there is no reason to there. I just wanted to sort of explain why I wanted to make it happen in Red++ eventually, if possible.

Are you aware of the "sprite priority" bit for background tiles? Instead of telling sprites to appear underneath bg tlies, you tell bg tiles to appear over sprites. GBC only. It usually looks nicer since with the other method, you can't tell a sprite to appear above one tile but underneath another. It could be easily implemented by changing the "palette assignments" to include that bit (ie. "GREEN | $80").

So, your plan is to use 0x80 tiles instead of 0x60, which is why you want to use vram 1?

Board footer