’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#576 2018-08-09 21:44:26

Rangi
Post 859/870

Re: Simple Questions & Answers

LusoTrainer wrote:

My bad, completely missed it. Thanks.

One other question: how are wild areas determined in a map? Say I want to add Pokémon to a wild grass tile I just added to New Bark Town. If I add the respective table to 'johto_grass.asm', how does it link to the respective tile as opposed to the whole map (assuming that's how it works)?

CAVE and DUNGEON maps can have encounters anywhere; other maps can if engine/overworld/tile_events.asm:CheckGrassCollision returns true.

Last edited by Rangi (2018-08-09 21:44:38)

Pokémon Polished Crystal (GitHub) — version 2.2.0 released
Pokémon Red★ and Blue★: Space World Edition (GitHub) — updated August 19!
Polished Map: pokered+pokecrystal map, tileset, and palette editor — version 3.5.1 released!

#577 2018-09-03 12:48:19

LusoTrainer
Post 28/31

If a Pokémon has a gender ratio of 50%, doesn't it get the same gender as the NPC trainer? If so, how come Bugsy (for example) get an all male team? Is there a way to fix this?

Last edited by LusoTrainer (2018-09-03 13:32:54)

#578 2018-09-03 14:52:01

ElectroMan
Post 3/5

LusoTrainer wrote:

If a Pokémon has a gender ratio of 50%, doesn't it get the same gender as the NPC trainer? If so, how come Bugsy (for example) get an all male team? Is there a way to fix this?

Well, 1) Bugsy is male, and 2) gender is defined by the Pokémon's DVs, more specifically its Attack DVs. And since Gym Trainers have their DVs fixed, this will all be deterministically chosen a priori. This can be altered by modifying an individual trainer's party DVs.

#579 2018-09-03 15:24:53

LusoTrainer
Post 29/31

ElectroMan wrote:

Well, 1) Bugsy is male,

Quite right. I meant to say Janine.

ElectroMan wrote:

and 2) gender is defined by the Pokémon's DVs, more specifically its Attack DVs. And since Gym Trainers have their DVs fixed, this will all be deterministically chosen a priori. This can be altered by modifying an individual trainer's party DVs.

If I understand correctly (after taking a look at mon_stats.asm), if the Speed value is higher than the Attack value (for the Trainer's DVs), the Pokémon shows as female?

#580 2018-09-03 18:13:16

Halfshadow
Post 278/283

You can experiment yourself trough PkHex using a GEN II save file, you can choose a gender and set random DVs making a pokémon. :)

The italian Pokémon Green creator.

#581 2018-09-03 20:38:24

vanlach
Post 5/5

I've got a few issues that I still haven't been able to figure out.

My first issue is that the Lake of Rage Gyarados does not show up as shiny for some reason. I haven't touched that map file at all so I'm stumped as to why this is happening. It's not a huge deal but it's not behaving correctly.

The second issue is that the Waterfall and Whirlpool HMs are behaving like regular items instead of TMs. They have the exact same attributes as the other five HMs, which work as expected, yet they are going into the wrong pocket. I'm not seeing why they are behaving like that. Unlike Gyarados, this issue is game breaking since the player can't continue without these moves.

Here's my fork. I have done a few fork updates but after skimming through, I didn't see anything that would have changed these two things.

Any ideas?

#582 2018-09-04 10:27:51

Halfshadow
Post 279/283

In G/S/C exists a script command to print a pokémon by index number like Poképic show a pokémon by number? I want to print the museum fossils, my emulator "print" a PNG file like the original prints with the Game boy printer.

The italian Pokémon Green creator.

#583 2018-09-05 16:51:47

Theohmguy
Post 21/21

So I made a thread about that but I don't think it needs to be one. I'm going to post it here

after adding some new Mons, this happened

$ make red

constants/palette_constants.asm: no newline at end of file
rgbasm -D _RED -h -o wram_red.o wram.asm
rgblink -d -n pokered.sym -l pokered.link -o pokered.gbc audio_red.o main_red.o text_red.o wram_red.o
error: Unable to place 'Stack' (WRAM0 section) at $DF01
make: *** [Makefile:52: pokered.gbc] Error 1

it already happened before, so I changed $DF00 to $DF01 and it worked, but after some time it happened again and now I'm stuck in this error and I can't find a way to fix this.

#584 2018-09-07 00:53:02

Danny-E 33
Administrator
Post 1,112/1,119

Adding new Pokemon to the Pokedex causes everything to shift in wram because the size of the Pokedex flag arrays are based on NUM_POKEMON:

wPokedexOwned:: ; d2f7
    flag_array NUM_POKEMON
wPokedexOwnedEnd::

wPokedexSeen:: ; d30a
    flag_array NUM_POKEMON
wPokedexSeenEnd::

So, say both of these flag arrays increase in size by 2 bytes. That's an increase of 4 bytes total. In order to keep most things in wram at their original address, you need to subtract 4 from the size of one of the unused blocks of wram, like in between wDestinationWarpID:: and wNumSigns::
This will keep most things at their original address but will still shift everything in wram from wPokedexSeen:: through wDestinationWarpID:: (thus badly breaking compatibility with existing save files)
To truly keep everything at its original address, keep wPokedexOwned:: where it is and make its size (including some new padding after it) exactly double its original size. Then move wPokedexSeen:: to an unused block of wram. Then the only thing that changed addresses is wPokedexSeen::

Take a look here to see how I did it:
https://github.com/dannye/pokered-proto … .asm#L2341

But you'll also want to take a look around the code for references to wPokedexOwned, wPokedexSeen, and wPokedexSeenEndOld to see how code had to be modified so that save files work and have correct checksums.

wMainDataStart::

wPokedexOwned:: ; d2f7
    flag_array NUM_POKEMON
wPokedexOwnedEnd::

flag_array 2 * 151 - NUM_POKEMON
wPokedexSeenEndOld::

wDestinationWarpID:: ; d42f
; if $ff, the player's coordinates are not updated when entering the map
    ds 1

wPokedexSeen::
    flag_array NUM_POKEMON
wPokedexSeenEnd::

ds 128 - (wPokedexSeenEnd - wPokedexSeen)

wNumSigns:: ; d4b0

Note that this solution still breaks compatibility with old save files, but not fatally. The only negative side effect is that "Seen" flags will appear "wiped out". But it still runs fine.
There isn't any to keep 100% compatibility with old save files when you add Pokemon because the size of the Pokedex flag arrays has to increase.

#585 2018-10-07 15:50:44

rbroab
Post 85/86

Few questions. Would it be possible to view the stats screen while going through starter pokemon selection instead of just seeing the pokepic window?

How could I implement a “Move” item button on a pokemon’s held item, instead of just Give and Take?

And I’ve seen a lot of romhacks feature a Run option in the Option menu where having Run On means the player will run by default and you’d press B to walk. Is there a way to make this setting disable running all together? I’d like to see the options On, Default, and Off.

#586 2018-10-16 08:31:10

Lacerta
Post 4/4

Just one question. I attempted to put a Snorlax into a new map, using the code in Vermilion City as reference.

I ensured that everything was dandy in the outdoor sprites and in the new code itself, but ingame, the Snorlax shows up as four blue player characters instead. Otherwise, everything works as intended.

What's the best course of action?

#587 2018-10-17 15:15:03

Ketchup_Raptor
Post 27/27

Lacerta wrote:

Just one question. I attempted to put a Snorlax into a new map, using the code in Vermilion City as reference.

I ensured that everything was dandy in the outdoor sprites and in the new code itself, but ingame, the Snorlax shows up as four blue player characters instead. Otherwise, everything works as intended.

What's the best course of action?

I haven't used pokered much as well, red is built like a house of cards ready to fall over, but I do know that in pokecrystal at least for outside maps that are connected there is a list of object sprites they must share in that mapgroup, you probably are just in one that doesn't have the snorlax sprites defined

Now for my own question, I went through Rangi's guide for the pokecrystal wiki to implement pokemon 252 and 253 and they work perfectly in battle so far, but viewing them on the stats screen causes their sprite to animate in a strange corrupted way despite the fact that their anim_idle.asm merely contains a

frame 0, 1
     endanim

which should make it not animate anything at all yet it still animates in a corrupted way

nevermind I found that while I had included the animation I had forgotten to add the pointer for it

Last edited by Ketchup_Raptor (2018-10-17 15:22:59)

#588 2018-10-27 14:51:11

LusoTrainer
Post 30/31

How are the movesets determined for TRAINERTYPE_NORMAL?

#589 2018-10-27 15:21:22

ElectroMan
Post 4/5

LusoTrainer wrote:

How are the movesets determined for TRAINERTYPE_NORMAL?

The moveset is defined as the last 4 (or fewer) moves that the Pokemon has learned at the level that it's at. For example, given that Crobat's learnset through level-up is:

1 Screech
1 Leech Life
1 Supersonic
6 Supersonic
12 Bite
19 Confuse Ray
30 Wing Attack
42 Mean Look
55 Haze

At level 45 its moveset will be Bite, Confuse Ray, Wing Attack and Mean Look.

#590 2018-10-27 15:28:03

LusoTrainer
Post 31/31

Got it. Thanks!

Board footer