Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#151 2014-06-26 00:47:10

ShantyTown
Post 96/344

Re: Pokémon Maize [Beta 2.2 Release]

Hey guys, I'm sorry I've been unresponsive.  I'm not going to have access to my computer until the end of July, so I'll try and post from my phone if I can.  I see that somebody was experiencing some issues with the game crashing and slow pokedex.  None of the testers or myself have run into any of those mentioned bugs, so my best advice is to make sure you're patching a CLEAN red version ROM. Again, sorry I'm unavailable to provide any more help.

Edit: Fairy type will be in the final version!

Last edited by ShantyTown (2014-06-26 00:49:57)

#152 2014-06-26 01:46:40

Luna
Post 2,878/3,665

Started playing Beta 2 today, and I already love the random references. I knew you were trouble when you walked in, Mareep being able to generate 1.21 Gigawatts of Electricity, etc.

So far my only complaint so far is that the hero's overworld looks a bit out of place compared to the other NPCs because of the style difference (and his walking animation looks a little odd to me). But other than that aesthetic issue, it seems to be pretty nicely done so far.

I am not very active on this forum. I only pop in from time to time.

#153 2014-06-26 16:06:26

YORAMRW
Post 1,099/1,200
Website

Oh sorry, I patched on Blue instead. Never thinking that it would really matter. Sorry, is my fault.

Hacks Gameboy 8-bit music in Pokémon Gen I & II, composes 8-bit music in LSDJ and FamiTracker.

“God created the Earth, but the Dutch created the Netherlands.”

#154 2014-07-23 22:27:56

ShantyTown
Post 99/344

I've been away from my computer for over a month now, but now I'm looking forward to getting back to working on Maize in a couple of days. Here is a list of new features that I'll be working on for the final release if this hack:

1. Shiny pokemon (compatible with g/s/c shinies)
2. Fairy type, along with lots if new moves
3. Happiness (friendship), along with appropriate evolutions involving happiness
4. Lots more pokemon (all eeveelutions, baby pokemon, etc.)
5. Dive as an HM
6. Cooking system will replace traditional items such has potions, ethers, etc.
7. Covenants to join, which give you special abilities/perks (see Dark Souls covenants)
8. Bridges (like in Black and White)
9. The actual storyline along with lots of rewarding side quests

#155 2014-07-23 22:51:37

jastolze
Post 85/112

Sounds good, Shanty! I'm really psyched about #'s 4, 6, and 7.

#156 2014-07-24 01:32:08

pokeglitch
Post 50/95

Quite a list you got going there!  I'm sure those will take a lot of effort, good luck with them all.  I will be trying to implement some of these as well.  How will you go about with the Happiness?  I don't recall how GSC does it, but I plan on doing something similar....it is something that increases with time in battle/success in battle and decreases with time out of battle/failure in battle?

Also care to explain more about the cooking system?  That could be an interesting change to how the game is played!  Will you be able to sell a tauros and magikarp to turn them info beef and fish?

#157 2014-07-24 01:40:42

Luna
Post 2,886/3,665

When you say Bridges like in Black and White, are you talking about a really large bridge like the one in that town where it is basically the whole map, or are you talking about being able to walk over them but also surf under them?

I am not very active on this forum. I only pop in from time to time.

#158 2014-07-24 01:57:28

ShantyTown
Post 100/344

jastolze wrote:

Sounds good, Shanty! I'm really psyched about #'s 4, 6, and 7.

Me too!

pokeglitch wrote:

Quite a list you got going there!  I'm sure those will take a lot of effort, good luck with them all.  I will be trying to implement some of these as well.  How will you go about with the Happiness?  I don't recall how GSC does it, but I plan on doing something similar....it is something that increases with time in battle/success in battle and decreases with time out of battle/failure in battle?

Also care to explain more about the cooking system?  That could be an interesting change to how the game is played!  Will you be able to sell a tauros and magikarp to turn them info beef and fish?

I'm going to implement happiness the same way that it's implemented in the later games. Basically, happiness goes down when a pokemon faints, and it goes up when a pokemon levels up, gets fed items, is in the party when you walk 256 steps, etc.  To actually implement happiness will require an extra byte of data for each pokemon. Each pokemon has 7 (I think) bytes used for the OT (original trainer) name, so I'm thinking I'll just get rid of the OT data and use those newly free bytes for things like happiness, ribbons, blessings, and whatever else.

I'm really excited about cooking. I'm imagining each pokemon center having a cooking station. The player collects recipes throughout the game. The player also acquires ingredients for the recipes from defeating wild pokemon and getting drops from them. To actually cool the ingredients into one of the recipes, the player will have to cook the ingredients correctly. I'm imagining something like "press A after 5 seconds, then press B after 2 seconds". I'm super open I advice and suggestions for this.

Mateo wrote:

When you say Bridges like in Black and White, are you talking about a really large bridge like the one in that town where it is basically the whole map, or are you talking about being able to walk over them but also surf under them?

The first one.

On a side note, I'm also going to add a map that works like the infinite staircase in Super Mario 64.

#159 2014-07-24 03:12:30

stag019
Idea Killer
Post 598/630

ShantyTown wrote:

On a side note, I'm also going to add a map that works like the infinite staircase in Super Mario 64.

Are you going to compose your own shepard tone variant for the music that plays during it?

You can try to hide yourself in this world of pretend; when the paper's crumpled up, it can't be perfect again.

#160 2014-07-24 04:09:12

ShantyTown
Post 101/344

stag019 wrote:
ShantyTown wrote:

Are you going to compose your own shepard tone variant for the music that plays during it?

That's awesome!  I've never heard of Shepard Tones before. GB has 3 sound channels, so it might work well. I'm assuming the auditory illusion still works for a chromatic scale, instead of a continuous sliding pitch. I want my computer back so I can test this out!

#161 2014-07-28 02:53:44

ShantyTown
Post 104/344

I just released Beta 2.1 which contains 2 bug fixes.

1. Added an NPC in Agate City Pokemon Center who can provide the player with Pokemon that can learn each HM.  This is to prevent the player from getting stuck in Nuzlocke Mode if they don't have any Pokemon that can learn Fly, for example.  The player must sacrifice one of his Pokemon to gain a new Pokemon.  The new Pokemon have 0 DVs, and they are level 2, so you really don't want one unless you're stuck in the game.  If the player is NOT playing in Nuzlocke Mode, the NPC doesn't give this option to the player.

2. Fixed placement of Basalt Cave ladder placement, so the player can no longer walk out of the map and crash the game. (Exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXj3xnJWyGk&t=26m42s)

Last edited by ShantyTown (2014-07-28 02:54:16)

#162 2014-07-28 20:33:39

Pokemon_Master
Post 895/953
Website

Nice to hear.
I am going to try this.

#163 2014-08-01 09:46:48

LateNightHacker
Post 141/153

Hey Shanty!

When i didn't have a pokemon for flash,(i play on Nuzlocke mode) i traded my growlithe to paras, and that paras couldn't even learn flash! You really should fix it!

But otherwise, this hack is really cool! I like those new musics tthat you have in this hack!
Keep it up, Bro!

I Support
Pokemon Grape/
Pokemon Gem/Pokemon Dark Energy

▒█░░░ ▀█▀ ▒█░▄▀ ▒█▀▀▀   ░█▀▀█   ▒█▀▀█ ▒█▀▀▀█ ▒█▀▀▀  ▒█▀▀▀
▒█░░░ ▒█░ ▒█▀▄░ ▒█▀▀▀   ▒█▄▄█   ▒█▀▀▄ ▒█░░▒█ ░▀▀▀▄   ░▀▀▀▄
▒█▄▄█ ▄█▄ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄▄   ▒█░▒█   ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄▄█ ▒█▄▄▄█▒█▄▄▄█

#164 2014-08-01 14:29:37

ShantyTown
Post 106/344

LateNightHacker wrote:

Hey Shanty!

When i didn't have a pokemon for flash,(i play on Nuzlocke mode) i traded my growlithe to paras, and that paras couldn't even learn flash! You really should fix it!

But otherwise, this hack is really cool! I like those new musics tthat you have in this hack!
Keep it up, Bro!

Wait, really?  I was looking at Bulbapedia to find the "worst" pokemon that could learn Flash, and I saw Paras...  I must have been looking at Cut by mistake.  I do remember thinking it was weird that Paras could learn Flash.  Thanks for letting me know!  I'll release a new version on Sunday that has some updates, such as at that bug fix and shiny pokemon!  I'm glad you like the music, too.

#165 2014-08-02 02:38:43

ShantyTown
Post 107/344

Here some updates about what I've done in the past few days:
1. Added Shiny pokemon.  They are compatible with G/S/C shiny pokemon, too.  This means that if you trade from Maize to Gold, or Gold to Maize, the "shininess" will be kept intact!  The Shiny encounter rate is the usual 1/8192 chance.  Whenever a shiny pokemon appears on screen during a battle, the screen flashes.  Also, when viewing the stats screen, an exclamation mark is in the top left corner to indicate that it's shiny.  I realize that those aren't the usual colors for Bulbasaur and Mareep's shiny sprites.  In Gen 1, each pokemon doesn't have its own color palette.  Instead, they share from a group of 10 color palettes.
IDdEHy4.png l6T9ukM.png
2. Added Fairy type.  I still need to actually add Fairy type moves and new pokemon, but pokemon such as Wigglytuff and Mr. Mime are now part Fairy.
3. The Scouter Ring now shows the sum of the IVs of the wild pokemon, rather than only telling you when a wild pokemon is really good.  It says "The Scouter Ring flashed 42!", for example.  42 would mean that the pokemon is above average, since the highest the sum of the IVs can be is 75.  (Note, you can't actually obtain the Scouter Ring in this Beta 2.1)
4. Flame Charge now actually raises Speed, like it's supposed to.

Next steps:
1. Add Happiness (used for Eevee evolving and others, Facade and Frustration's base power, etc.)
2. Add Shiny Ball that makes a pokemon shiny when you catch it (a nod to Prism)
3. Shiny Ring that increases Shiny encounter rate to something like 1:100.

Also, check out the first video in Fitzhogan11's new Let's Play! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DITUHT9PmKA

#166 2014-08-02 05:58:48

ngtunganh
Post 41/67
Website

I play with meboy,even add shiny,It still colorless.

#167 2014-08-02 07:06:59

Kumar
Post 351/383
Website

Looks great!
But a question what is matter of ring is that same like rings in zelda or prism?

#168 2014-08-02 07:10:03

ShantyTown
Post 108/344

Kumar wrote:

Looks great!
But a question what is matter of ring is that same like rings in zelda or prism?

I made a bunch of posts about the Rings earlier in this thread, but they work like this:  For a Ring to be in effect, it must be placed at the top of your inventory.  This means you can only use one Ring at a time.

#169 2014-08-02 09:35:58

LateNightHacker
Post 142/153

ngtunganh wrote:

I play with meboy,even add shiny,It still colorless.

It is that because meboy runs gb games as colorless. You need an emulator that supports SGB2 feature, VBA, for example.

ShantyTown wrote:

Next steps:
1. Add Happiness (used for Eevee evolving and others, Facade and Frustration's base power, etc.)

You mean return? Facade's power doubles if your pokemon has status problem.

Last edited by LateNightHacker (2014-08-02 09:39:11)

I Support
Pokemon Grape/

#170 2014-08-02 15:14:42

ShantyTown
Post 109/344

LateNightHacker wrote:
ShantyTown wrote:

Next steps:

Oops!  Yes, that's exactly what I meant.  Hmm... maybe I'll add Facade, too!

#171 2014-08-02 20:16:06

LateNightHacker
Post 143/153

ShantyTown wrote:
LateNightHacker wrote:
ShantyTown wrote:

Next steps:

Oops!  Yes, that's exactly what I meant.  Hmm... maybe I'll add Facade, too!

That wouldn't be bad at all! At least, I would like that! :)

I Support
Pokemon Grape/

#172 2014-08-02 23:24:31

ShantyTown
Post 110/344

Just released Beta 2.2.  Beta 2.1 save files should be compatible with Beta 2.2.  No promises, though!
- Added Shiny Pokémon that are trade-compatible with G/S/C.  Wild encounter rate is the usual 1/8192 chance.
- Added Shiny Ring that increases shiny encounter rate to 1/64!
- Added Shiny Ball that makes a captured Pokémon shiny.
- Added Fairy type, but no Fairy moves.  Clefairy/Clefable/Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff/Mr. Mime were re-typed.
- Fixed some various bugs.

This will be the last version I release until the complete version is done.  (Unless some bad bugs are discovered in Beta 2.2)

EDIT: I created a twitter account for Maize development and Gen 1 hacking.  There isn't anything there, yet, but hopefully I might have some interesting things to say!  https://twitter.com/ShantyTownRed

Last edited by ShantyTown (2014-08-02 23:28:46)

#173 2014-08-03 04:31:13

Kumar
Post 352/383
Website

I want a .gb file please upload it. I can't patch it.

#174 2014-08-03 17:16:54

YORAMRW
Post 1,103/1,200
Website

@ShantyTown There is a pitch bend feature in the RBY sound engine which you can use for the shepard tone, but I have no idea how to get it neither how it works.

Hacks Gameboy 8-bit music in Pokémon Gen I & II, composes 8-bit music in LSDJ and FamiTracker.

“God created the Earth, but the Dutch created the Netherlands.”

#175 2014-08-03 18:49:42

ShantyTown
Post 111/344

TheMoneyOfTheWorld wrote:

@ShantyTown There is a pitch bend feature in the RBY sound engine which you can use for the shepard tone, but I have no idea how to get it neither how it works.

Is there?  I thought the only pitch bending functionality was vibrato.  I'll have to look into it because that would potentially make the tone way smoother than a chromatic series of notes.

Board footer