Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#151 2014-11-25 09:17:56

kunparekh18
Post 3/3

Re: Pokemon Red Full Color Hack

Hello, I was playing pokered_color_vanilla.gbc and I encountered this bug while trading in-game; the Pokemon which the NPC trades is shown as a blank screen with a few discolorations here and there, instead of being totally blank during the Trade-animation. There is no other difference whatsoever, and everything is normal before and after the trade. I will attach a few screemshots if possible. I am not sure if this happens in either of the blue versions and the gen2 red version (it most probably does though). Trading through the Pokemon Center with a friend is also perfectly fine... it's just the in-game trades that have this mistake.

There are quite a few color problems I spotted in many places, but tbh they don't matter and make no difference to the game.

EDIT: Screenshot_2014-11-25-15-22-00_zpseaa86cf9.png

This is just after my Pokemon is sent through the wire (in the animation) and before the NPC is about to send his.

Additional info: The coloration pattern is different for every trade.

Last edited by kunparekh18 (2014-11-25 10:03:32)

#152 2015-02-17 14:08:36

CountNeko
Post 1/1

Hi, how can I get a patch with the GSC music in it? An early post mentioned combining the music into this patch but I don't know how to do that and one of the links seems to be broken.

#153 2015-05-06 13:51:50

Jack Au Revoir
Post 3/5
Website

Hey i wanna download this game,but why here is no any download button?

Yeah! Am I great or what?

By: AF Initial

#154 2015-05-06 17:11:03

Danny-E 33
Administrator
Post 870/1,143

#155 2015-05-07 19:52:33

YORAMRW
Post 1,142/1,199
Website

But, how do I start my browser?

Hacks Gameboy 8-bit music in Pokémon Gen I & II, composes 8-bit music in FamiTracker

#156 2015-06-23 12:11:57

Crystal_
Post 290/450
Website

I've been thinking for a long time to start a pokemon red hack based on the pokered-gbc repository but I didn't like the idea of working over something I have no clue about how it was done.

So my goal here is not to understand everything you guys have done, just to get a hint about what is new and what is the stuff that I will need to account for when I make the hack. I've also noticed that there's a lot of static addressing (as far as I understand it's because a lot of the work wasn't done over the disassembly directly), be it with fixed sections or jumps/calls to fixed addresses, which I think that could end up being problematic or annoying. So I've decided to go ahead and try to work on removing as much static addressing as possible. I've based it off the updated pokered disassembly, so it contains the most recent commits and I plan to hopefully keep it up to date as well.

I am aware working over a fork the pokered-gbc repo is the most efficient route, but I feel that working over a clean pokered will give me a better grasp of the stuff you guys have done. Also, it can be kept up to date with pokered without having to work on potential conflicts for the recent pokered commits.

I'm looking at this to see what the differences are: https://github.com/dannye/pokered-gbc/c … d...master Not all the changed files are shown but the ones not shown are only wram.asm and many pics inside the pic folder.

I started working over home.asm and then follow with whichever files the external functions or references take me.

https://github.com/xCrystal/pokered/commits/color
https://github.com/iimarckus/pokered/co … r?expand=1

Relevant comments are tagged with @@@

Last edited by Crystal_ (2015-06-23 12:19:54)

#157 2015-06-23 14:27:13

Danny-E 33
Administrator
Post 879/1,143

Trying to start with a clean pokered is definitely a bad idea. You should not be working in your pokered/color. That is going to be messy and very error prone.
Merging up-to-date pokered into the gbc repo is trivial. I'll go ahead and update it for you.

And yes, the static addresses are bad. And you are right, they came up because of what Drenn did to turn Frogg's rom hack into the disassembly.

If you want to understand how the hack functions, your best chance is to click every individual commit that was in this list:
https://github.com/dannye/pokered-gbc/c … d...master

The commits that are authored by Drenn are much more important because the commits I made were mostly just clean-up stuff.
But the commits authored by Drenn are also the hardest to follow because he worked on this back when the entire game was in main.asm, which was 115,000 lines long, and there were no engine/ scripts/ or data/ folders.

EDIT:
Up-to-date pokered is now merged into pokered-gbc

Last edited by Danny-E 33 (2015-06-23 15:28:23)

#158 2015-06-23 19:37:22

Crystal_
Post 293/450
Website

Thank you for updating it. I noticed the conflicts you had to solve and that's what I meant since the battle engine was split into more files recently.

Anyway, I got it working already over pokered, so I guess I'll stick to it (You will all will receive the credit for the full color hack, obviously). I removed all the redundant fixed sections and replaced all the static addresses except the $6000 one since it's shared by four functions in four different banks. I might go ahead and modify the CallToBank function so that it's no longer necessary. I also removed some unnecessary nops that were laying here or there.

#159 2015-08-02 07:40:07

Drenn
Post 47/61

Good god, has it been 2 years since I worked on this? Well, I'd just like to thank you Danny for keeping the sources up-to-date and all. And I'm glad it may be of some use to other hackers. Out of curiosity, Danny, did you ever look into the occasional graphics glitches which manifested themselves differently on good emulators (BGB) and bad emulators (VBA)?

Anyway it's kinda nice to know this isn't entirely fated to obscurity. :)

#160 2015-08-02 14:44:57

Danny-E 33
Administrator
Post 888/1,143

Right now, the bugs I am aware of mostly have to do with palettes not fully refreshing. The two big example are if you walk into a new map and quickly walk away from the door, some tiles don't always have the correct palettes loaded. The quickest way to recreate this for me has been hold down and walk out of Bill's house and keep walking down. When you get to the wall on Route 25, most of the time some palettes are messed up. The other is a very similar problem with battles. Battle sprite's palettes don't fully load the correct palette. This is more common in trainer battles than in wild battles.

The reason I have not attempted to fix this is that I have only ever hacked Red, a sgb game, and I don't actually know how the different features in gbc work, and because I think most of the bugs are because of vblank timing which I don't know how to fix.

The only other issue I know of is what kunparekh18 pointed out. There are different shades of white in different palettes in the game. This is an easy fix, I'm just lazy.

#161 2015-08-02 19:39:12

Drenn
Post 48/61

Danny-E 33 wrote:

Right now, the bugs I am aware of mostly have to do with palettes not fully refreshing. The two big example are if you walk into a new map and quickly walk away from the door, some tiles don't always have the correct palettes loaded. The quickest way to recreate this for me has been hold down and walk out of Bill's house and keep walking down. When you get to the wall on Route 25, most of the time some palettes are messed up. The other is a very similar problem with battles. Battle sprite's palettes don't fully load the correct palette. This is more common in trainer battles than in wild battles.

The reason I have not attempted to fix this is that I have only ever hacked Red, a sgb game, and I don't actually know how the different features in gbc work, and because I think most of the bugs are because of vblank timing which I don't know how to fix.

The only other issue I know of is what kunparekh18 pointed out. There are different shades of white in different palettes in the game. This is an easy fix, I'm just lazy.

That's okay, I'm lazy too :P

The best way to fix it would probably be to split up the work over multiple vblanks. The game already does this by updating only 1/3rd of the screen per frame when in battle, but it seems there are other situations where something similar needs to apply. FroggestSpirit's original rom had it worse, but solved the problem by waiting for hblanks. This caused some annoying flickering at the top of the screen though.

Or, you could have the algorithms check the rLY variable to see what scanline you're on. If vblank is almost over, the subroutine may exit and wait for a frame where it can finish the job properly. I did this in one of my palette routines, but it caused an issue on VBA - I guess it just couldn't find a frame with enough time to do the full operation, so the palettes never updated.

#162 2015-09-07 09:49:32

Crystal_
Post 311/450
Website

Just so that you guys know, the link function is broken. I haven't bothered to investigate why, but I noticed that some bytes are sent/received multiple times causing all the following data to get shifted and thus everything becomes absolutely glitchy.

#163 2015-09-18 14:40:19

Halfshadow
Post 44/337

Can you make your patch also for the italian version? However I prefer only the Vanilla patch, I love the GEN I graphic and will be very cute with the full color hack.

The italian Pokémon Green creator.

#164 2015-09-18 15:21:16

Danny-E 33
Administrator
Post 909/1,143

This was made with the english disassembly, not hex editing. There is no equivalent italian disassembly, so an italian patch would have to be made through hex editing, which I don't think anyone is willing to do.

#165 2015-09-18 15:25:16

Halfshadow
Post 45/337

Oh, it's a pity. You're right, for make my italian Pokémon Green I had used the HEX editor, I thought there were another way.

The italian Pokémon Green creator.

#166 2015-11-13 10:45:22

Fotomac
Post 71/332

If I may... I'm planning to make my own hack in both monochrome and GBC versions.

#167 2015-11-14 21:40:58

Drenn
Post 49/61

Fotomac wrote:

If I may... I'm planning to make my own hack in both monochrome and GBC versions.

I'm more than OK with it if you want to base a hack off of this. I suspect Danny won't mind either. I'm not sure how you plan to make both monochrome and color versions though - this hack no longer works in monochrome.

#168 2015-11-14 23:09:58

Fotomac
Post 73/332

I'm actually basing the monochrome version on a clean pokered disassembly and will be porting my edits to that over for the full-color version. Of course... I'm gonna need some help with assigning color palettes to new sprites (such as those for the female player character, for instance).

#169 2015-11-14 23:22:31

Drenn
Post 50/61

Fotomac wrote:

I'm actually basing the monochrome version on a clean pokered disassembly and will be porting my edits to that over for the full-color version. Of course... I'm gonna need some help with assigning color palettes to new sprites (such as those for the female player character, for instance).

Ok, I guess that sounds possible with some git ninja skills. As for editing overworld character sprites, look for "SpritePaletteAssignments" in this file. In-battle could be a bit more tricky, you might need to tweak which palettes are loaded for battles.

#170 2016-01-18 17:08:26

Francis
Post 1/6
Website

Hi, I'd like to thank the creator of this hack. And ask if it's ok if I use his hack to do a let's play serie on Youtube?

#171 2016-01-18 20:42:21

Drenn
Post 51/61

Francis wrote:

Hi, I'd like to thank the creator of this hack. And ask if it's ok if I use his hack to do a let's play serie on Youtube?

Certainly, I don't think you need to ask our permission. If people can get away with making repros then I think you can do a let's play. :P

#172 2016-01-19 16:12:48

Francis
Post 2/6
Website

Thanks Drenn can I drop a link here if people wants to see what your hack looks like in action of just want to watch my let's play ;) ?

BTW: I name it Let's play Pokemon Red GFXHack. Do you want me to change it to Pokemon Red Full Color Hack ?

Last edited by Francis (2016-01-19 16:20:25)

#173 2016-01-19 16:53:25

Danny-E 33
Administrator
Post 930/1,143

Yes, that name is better. And feel free to link to your Let's Play in this thread.

Also, if you haven't already started recording videos, I am right about to release a new version with several bug fixes. Probably tonight. You can make your Let's Play with this more solid version if you want.

#174 2016-01-20 05:42:22

Danny-E 33
Administrator
Post 931/1,143

I updated the first post with new download links. It's been quite some time since a new version has been released.

Here are the updates:

• Exp bar displays on the stats screen (thanks to xCrystal)

• Fixed the party menu hp bar healing palette bug

• Fixed the Transform/already owned Pokeball tile bug (reported by JahnFvN)

• Fixed the Exp.All/Exp bar animation bug (reported by Shadowmn214)

• Fixed the trade animation palette bugs (reported by kunparekh18)

• Fixed the battle screen palette assignment bugs (reported by everybody)

• Fixed the player blackout palette

#175 2016-01-21 03:47:49

Drenn
Post 52/61

Nice, so this means no more green pidgeys? :)

Board footer