You are not logged in.

#51 2013-04-24 18:53:20

80C
Banned
Post 234/1,257

Re: Pokemon Grape

Yes, next time =)
Of course, I watched your YT channel.
You know, I'm not skilled in music editing, I must learn from zero, I watched your tutorial & I got rby import but I never tried to use it on my rom because I don't know how to assign to a map a specific music different from the original, so I could also put in new music instead of only replacing it.
Of course, some of that will be replaced (such as Intro at pokemon Logo & champion), but I need also to add some new ones (Printer Error, Pikachu Surfing, etc.).

Unfortunately I never made whole new soundtracks, that's one of the reasons why I haven't done it yet, but I'll do it.

I left this forum.

#52 2013-04-24 19:13:20

Miksy91
Post 1,628/2,339

Hmm... looks fair to me :)

You could go for studying the basics of assembly though. It should be rather easy creating scripts such as the following with assembly.

faceplayer
displaytext
printYesorNoBox
if Yes --> displaytext "You chose Yes."
displaytext "You chose No."
returntoGamePlay

Sawakita listed some handy tutorials in Gen I section. You've probably noticed them already but just saying.

#53 2013-04-24 19:31:50

80C
Banned
Post 236/1,257

Miksy91 wrote:

Hmm... looks fair to me :)

You could go for studying the basics of assembly though. It should be rather easy creating scripts such as the following with assembly.

faceplayer
displaytext
printYesorNoBox
returntoGamePlay

I learnt only GBA scripting (and I was enough able to create new special events) but I don't know very much of GB scripting, yup, I downloaded all sorts of asm tutorials & I'll watch 'em when my school is finished (infact I'm posting less than before, tomorrow it's holiday for us in my country so I got only a bit of time).

In gba terms, this should be something like this:

#org @pointer
;no lock in GB?
faceplayer
msgbox @msg
callstd 0x05 ;(I think it 5 if I remember correctly); yes\no box
if 0x1 goto @yespointer
msgbox @answerno
?no release in GB?
return
end

#org @yespointer
msgbox @answeryes
return
end

If I haven't understood bad, disassembly shows all the script commands used in game.
So, with disassembly, I can read all the scriptes of PKé Red and change those,
but I'll need free space if I add new commands, just like R\S\E ?

I left this forum.

#54 2013-04-24 19:41:29

YORAMRW
Post 123/1,199
Website

80C wrote:

Yes, next time =)
Of course, I watched your YT channel.
You know, I'm not skilled in music editing, I must learn from zero, I watched your tutorial & I got rby import but I never tried to use it on my rom because I don't know how to assign to a map a specific music different from the original, so I could also put in new music instead of only replacing it.
Of course, some of that will be replaced (such as Intro at pokemon Logo & champion), but I need also to add some new ones (Printer Error, Pikachu Surfing, etc.).

Unfortunately I never made whole new soundtracks, that's one of the reasons why I haven't done it yet, but I'll do it.

I also don't know how to edit existing songs. I make my music in FamiTracker, as described in my tutorial. Just use an older version of FamiTracker, set the style to ""Old Style (Bend Up)"", make the instruments of the sounds that you want. Don't use any other effects than Volume and Duty. Set the volume to something like "15 13 11", set the duty to 0, 1, 2 or 3. You can control the volume exactly by placing Hex values next to the Notes-Instruments-.
Example: If you do "15 15 14 13 12 10 8 5 2 0" in the volume column, it would be:
"F
-
E
D
C
B
-"
in the pattern.

I hope this helps you.

Hacks Gameboy 8-bit music in Pokémon Gen I & II, composes 8-bit music in FamiTracker

#55 2013-04-24 20:02:00

Miksy91
Post 1,629/2,339

faceplayer
displaytext
printYesorNoBox
returntoGamePlay

There is no built-in scripting engine in R/B/Y so everything in them works with assembly (actually, it goes like this with any other game as well but yeah...).

That kind of there is basically build with calling several different functions; one for making the talked-to person event faceplayer (maybe by giving it the person event number as parameter while at it). Displaying text probably works so that you push a certain register which holds the pointer to the text data to stack along with some other register as rom bank of the text data and again, call some function that displays the text.
Putting up YES/NO box also works by calling a function which does that, etc.

You don't have to understand much about assembly to be able to work out with these, knowing where the functions are pretty much does all you need.
So, you can simply check how some original people events' "scripts" work with an assembly editor / debugger, and write notes about the functions and their locations inside rom (many are probably in rom bank 0).

Also like I mentioned, Sawakita has documented some of these already.

And when you have time, I'd advise you to take a look at my video tutorials there (mainly parts 6 and 7).

As an example (in machine language):

:Main
ld a, (TalkedToPersonEventAddress)
call, faceplayer ; makes the person event (loaded in register a) face player

ld a, (RomBank)
ld de, (TextPointer)
call, printText ; prints text data at rom address (RomBank):(TextPointer)

call, YesorNo ; waits for player to choose Yes/No. Sets z flag if player chooses Yes, otherwise, resets z flag.
jp z, ChoseYes ; jumps to address "ChoseYes" if player chose Yes during "YesorNo" routine call.

ld a, (RomBank2)
ld de, (TextPointer2)
call, printText ; prints text data at rom address (RomBank2):(TextPointer2)
ret ; returns back to the original code that was executed before this script data was accessed

:ChoseYes
ld a, (RomBank3)
ld de, (TextPointer3)
call, printText ; prints text data at rom address (RomBank2):(TextPointer2)
ret ; returns back to the original code that was executed before this script data was accessed

Inside the rom you actually see everything being written with numbers, like you've probably gotten used to.
So instead of having "printText" stand for the address where the routine is located which can be used to print text data, you could instead see: 0x70A2.

Last edited by Miksy91 (2013-04-24 20:13:43)

#56 2013-04-24 23:14:35

80C
Banned
Post 237/1,257

@Miksy
Thank you =)

Yes, of course I know hex... otherwise I would have continued hacking only generation III.
The fact is that I manly worked only with hex editor & I never used disassembling before (simply because I didn't knew its existence...), I'll give a look to those tutorials when I won't be so busy.

------------
@random
Now, somebody knows where are located the tables that indicates of which sprite corresponds each trainer?
Because, as I asked 1 page ago, I wanted re-add the Chief trainer class and assign to it its new sprite (page 4, the guy with red hair, red suit, black damageproof vest & a white Epsilon painted on it) without replacing any other.
The problem is a bit more different than usual cuz I applied Danny E-33's graphic patch, which palettes should I use to give him similar color as much as possible?
PS: I want add his sprite without replacing anyone's else sprite.
Yup, he's important in the story, you'll discover later...

I left this forum.

#57 2013-04-24 23:18:47

80C
Banned
Post 238/1,257

erm... (lil spoiler) ... - Epsilon Program - always rumoured (not in Pokemon) but this time...
well, you'll find many amazing things, hehehe, when every change will be done this game, it may be interesting...

I left this forum.

#58 2013-04-26 16:34:24

80C
Banned
Post 265/1,257

@filipino members:

Is it ok if I'll put in my hack a key character that speaks Filipino?

I left this forum.

#59 2013-04-26 16:45:34

Ryker
Post 33/75

80C wrote:

@filipino members:

Is it ok if I'll put in my hack a key character that speaks Filipino?

Of course! If you want some help about our language just tell us.

#60 2013-04-26 16:57:52

80C
Banned
Post 268/1,257

yes, because I discovered that google translater doesn't works good.

The guy that would speak Filipino is the Pokemon Ranger (he's the same function of Mr.Slowpoke of Fuchsia City, the Safari Guardian).

Well, instead of gold theeth, you'll need a vocal translater that translates from Filipino to english, because the Ranger in the story of my hack is Filipino.
When you'll find him, he'll speak in filipino, and, of course, most of the players won't understand, so you'll need a translater to understand his words.
You'll discover that he congratulates with you for many reasons that happens in the story and want give you HM04 instead of the translater, because usually his house is visited by foreign tourists from all the world and most of the times they don't understand.
You exchange the 2 objects and now you'll be able to hear (or better, read) his translation.

Well, I need a first phrase in filipino where he says something like "welcome! finally a famous trainer here! Oh, do you speak filipino?" then appears yes\no box but it doesn't matter what you choose because Grape doesn't speak filipino (Region of Frejo is west-europe-like), and then an answer by him (you feel free to adapt that phrase to be more elegant or educate, of course!).

That is what I need, it would be nice see something in my hack, wouldn't it?

I left this forum.

#61 2013-04-26 17:08:57

RED
Post 314/521

I will translate it to you.

Tuloy ka! Sa wakas isang sikat na treynor!  Oh nagsasalita ka ba ng Tagalog?

Next

syempre! Pwede mong isama sa nalalaman mo ang mga katagang iyon para maging edukado at elegante ka.

わたし の なまえ わ レン レン  でづ

#62 2013-04-26 17:13:33

Ryker
Post 34/75

"Maligayang pagdating! Sa wakas at may napadpad ditong isang sikat na trainer! Ah, marunong ka bang magsalita ng Filipino?"

Yes! It would be nice if add it in your hack.

#63 2013-04-26 17:16:13

RED
Post 315/521

Hahah are translation are quite different. :)
it because im using pure filipino. Haha

わたし の なまえ わ レン レン  でづ

#64 2013-04-26 17:18:05

80C
Banned
Post 271/1,257

I expressed myslef not good in the last part, I wanted mean that you're feel free to adapt his phrase to make it kind or elegant - the ranger is both kind and elegant, he even give syou HM04 -
the first phrase - welcome... - translation is ok =)
The answer of the Ranger after the yes\no box is (in english):

"I don't speak english, I'm sorry..."

I left this forum.

#65 2013-04-26 17:22:13

RED
Post 316/521

Patawad, hindi ako nag sasalita ng ingles.

わたし の なまえ わ レン レン  でづ

#66 2013-04-26 17:23:53

80C
Banned
Post 272/1,257

Great! Thanks!
I'll put it soon!

I left this forum.

#67 2013-04-26 17:33:30

RED
Post 318/521

You're welcome.

わたし の なまえ わ レン レン  でづ

#68 2013-04-26 19:42:59

80C
Banned
Post 275/1,257

@RED
thank you for translationg =)

@ someone that thought I'm about to release soon my hack
Maybe I didn't expressed good the sense of my last post:
I've meant I'll insert the text soon, not release the first beta\demo that will be released when it's ready (probabilly september 2013, cuz after july I'll have a bit more time).

I left this forum.

#69 2013-04-26 20:17:11

YORAMRW
Post 128/1,199
Website

That sounds cool, foreign languages in the game. You could try to let the game play voice samples [PCM], like Pikachu in Pokémon Yellow. But that would be very complicated to do. Cat333Pokémon and Koolboyman did it for their hack, Pokémon BW in GSC. Maybe, you can ask them for help with that.

Hacks Gameboy 8-bit music in Pokémon Gen I & II, composes 8-bit music in FamiTracker

#70 2013-04-27 13:58:11

80C
Banned
Post 282/1,257

I've got 3 things 2 say:

1st  - thank you for the over 3000 views!

2nd - I need a bit of explanation abot this: I'm gonna edit the connection between Pewter City and Route 3, In fact, I'm gonna edit the connection connecting Pewter with Route 8 instead of Route 3, I tried change the byte 0E with 0x13 but when I did it some bugs occoured:

- I must refresh somehow that part: some glitched-like-number's_city tiles appeared in Route 8;
- I need to set properly the map connection border (what should I insert if I use Route 8 ????) correctly, because
all the trainers were misplaced some tiles away, also the map was like placed some more tiles away to east than usual;
-All the trainers got a different overworld until I encounter a wild pokemon!

How should I do if I want fiz all these bugs?

I left this forum.

#71 2013-04-27 14:53:35

Miksy91
Post 1,631/2,339

You can't change the connection of one map just by editing a single byte, regularly.
Normally when I happen to change connection data of some map, I first change the data to "nothing" (00 00 00...) and then start filling it up.

#72 2013-04-27 16:16:40

80C
Banned
Post 283/1,257

I tried exchange the connections: left connection of Route 3 with left connection of Route 8, then right connection of Pewter with right connection of Saffron, most of the bugs are now fixed!
But there's still a bug: the trainers' overworld is strange (rocket members & balls) & those overworlds are refreshed only when you open the menu or when you encounter a wild pokemon.
How to do this?

I left this forum.

#73 2013-04-27 19:29:04

80C
Banned
Post 295/1,257

We'll discuss about that weird bug later, when someone will know the reason why it's caused.

Meanwhile, what do you think if I'll insert these two pokemon between the new ones?

The first one, the one on the left:
mqdefault.jpg
He's the alternative evolution of Pupitar, looks cool, huh?

And...him, yes, our new flying-type eevee, Sylveon:
qoya8p.jpg

What do you think?

I left this forum.

#74 2013-04-27 20:30:44

80C
Banned
Post 298/1,257

@everyone:
I have to show you the new Routes' graphic, I think the trees are even better than before, what do you think of this:

newtrees_Grape
Emerald style... in GB!
Hahaha! I luv it!

I left this forum.

#75 2013-04-27 20:38:55

Bike
Post 35/72

80C wrote:

@everyone:
I have to show you the new Routes' graphic, I think the trees are even better than before, what do you think of this:

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/6806/newtrees.png
Emerald style... in GB!
Hahaha! I luv it!

The new tree sprite is awesome, in my opinion is it more usseles for forest than route tree.

Board footer