Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#76 2014-02-24 20:56:03

walk_away21
Member
Registered: 2014-02-20
Post 4/69

Re: Pokemon Crystal Complete! (Now using pokecrystal)

Anyone have any info on making the wild encounter screen / trainer battle screen faster?

What I mean is, when you walk in the grass and a wild encounter starts there is some sort of animation on screen that flashes for a couple seconds and then the pokemon (or trainer) slides across the screen before the battle menu pops up. I know emulators have Turbo mode and stuff but I would really like to find a way to speed this up. Wouldn't the music track also need edited? Has this been done before?

Offline

#77 2014-02-25 21:03:15

Danny-E 33
Administrator
Registered: 2012-06-09
Post 736/1,119

Re: Pokemon Crystal Complete! (Now using pokecrystal)

TheMoneyOfTheWorld wrote:

It would be so cool if there was such a music tracker/editor for these disassemblies.

Editing the music in pokered and pokecrystal is actually extremely easy. Have you even tried it?

Offline

#78 2014-02-25 22:57:14

YORAMRW
Member
From: The Netherlands
Registered: 2013-03-29
Post 1,042/1,199
Website

Re: Pokemon Crystal Complete! (Now using pokecrystal)

Danny-E 33 wrote:
TheMoneyOfTheWorld wrote:

It would be so cool if there was such a music tracker/editor for these disassemblies.

Editing the music in pokered and pokecrystal is actually extremely easy. Have you even tried it?

Since music editing in pokered and pokecrystal requires a lot of changing durations between notes, so I do rather use rbyImport to convert songs from FamiTracker.


Hacks Gameboy 8-bit music in Pokémon Gen I & II, composes 8-bit music in FamiTracker

Offline

#79 2014-02-26 00:09:41

Danny-E 33
Administrator
Registered: 2012-06-09
Post 737/1,119

Re: Pokemon Crystal Complete! (Now using pokecrystal)

TheMoneyOfTheWorld wrote:

Since music editing in pokered and pokecrystal requires a lot of changing durations between notes, so I do rather use rbyImport to convert songs from FamiTracker.

And FamiTracker doesn't require changing durations between notes??

Editing the disassemblies' music is as easy as using FamiTracker (with the one drawback being that you can't instantly hear the music while you're editing it. You have to compile the rom each time you want to hear it.)
And there's no stupid rbyImport process.

Plus the huge advantage to using the disassemblies' music is that rbyImport and FamiTracker don't allow you to get creative with the music effects.

To use all the music effects and make your music sound good either takes a bunch of tedious hex editing, or the disassemblies. You can't do it with rbyImport.

Offline

#80 2014-02-26 05:06:12

comet
Member
Registered: 2012-04-09
Post 369/679

Re: Pokemon Crystal Complete! (Now using pokecrystal)

It makes sense to stick with the workflow you're used to. I think rbyImport assembles using a built-in rgbds in the first place. All you would have to do is change the (already customizable) macro names to fit.

Frogg also wrote something to convert midi for personal use. You should ask him about it.

Offline

#81 2014-02-26 14:49:19

walk_away21
Member
Registered: 2014-02-20
Post 5/69

Re: Pokemon Crystal Complete! (Now using pokecrystal)

Is there a scripting or mapping guide specifically for dissasssembly? Also, say I map edit with CrystalMap after assembling the ROM, will that work as data will have been changed around to different location?

Last edited by walk_away21 (2014-02-26 16:07:39)

Offline

#82 2014-03-01 13:00:40

AtecainCorp.
Member
Registered: 2013-04-14
Post 618/627

Re: Pokemon Crystal Complete! (Now using pokecrystal)

Someone have fullu payched rom? This really do not work when I try patch it from AnonFiles site dowload link. I do not have linux. And where the hell is sound testing?


http://hax.iimarck.us/topic/3435/ - Pokemon Ruby GEN V GRAPHIC hack Thread
http://hax.iimarck.us/topic/3476/ - Unused Music Midi Thread
http://hax.iimarck.us/topic/3579/ - Some info about region Thonsu

Offline

#83 2014-03-01 15:57:42

FroggestSpirit
Member
Registered: 2012-03-12
Post 248/300
Website

Re: Pokemon Crystal Complete! (Now using pokecrystal)

The fully patched version is no longer available, as it is outdated, and missed a few things (counter/mirror coat didn't use the split)
The current version can be assembled on windows using cygwin and rgbds (for windows) I sort of forgot how it was set up in windows, because I started doing that all in linux.
Sound test lets you listen to any music in the game, it will show the game it's from, who composed it, and you can watch the notes scroll up the screen in the (pretty cool) visualizer that Sanky made.


This isn't easy to say, but…
Music and ASM hacker

Offline

#84 2014-03-03 01:46:56

walk_away21
Member
Registered: 2014-02-20
Post 12/69

Re: Pokemon Crystal Complete! (Now using pokecrystal)

@FroggestSpirit Where is the script located in the disassembly? I'm just trying to change minor text like what a gym leader says to you before and after battling. Shouldn't be too hard to edit just that right? I cannot find the text script though except basic stuff like the intro, finding a berry, tossing an item, etc...

Last edited by walk_away21 (2014-03-03 23:41:59)

Offline

#85 2014-03-04 04:03:26

FroggestSpirit
Member
Registered: 2012-03-12
Post 249/300
Website

Re: Pokemon Crystal Complete! (Now using pokecrystal)

Probably the same area as pokecrystal, though i've never really looked for it. You could grep part of the phrase youre looking to replace


This isn't easy to say, but…
Music and ASM hacker

Offline

#86 2014-03-10 20:26:20

Mewster
New member
Registered: 2014-03-10
Post 1/6

Re: Pokemon Crystal Complete! (Now using pokecrystal)

Hello, I compiled the rom from the same base as yours (same md5) but I got an exactly equal rom (same md5) withouth errors, and following the instruction from the repo. Did I miss some message or new step?

Offline

#87 2014-03-10 21:21:55

comet
Member
Registered: 2012-04-09
Post 390/679

Re: Pokemon Crystal Complete! (Now using pokecrystal)

The instructions say to clone https://github.com/kanzure/pokecrystal. The project you want to clone is https://github.com/froggestspirit/crystalcomplete.

Offline

#88 2014-03-11 08:41:38

Mewster
New member
Registered: 2014-03-10
Post 2/6

Re: Pokemon Crystal Complete! (Now using pokecrystal)

-yes, this could be the problem XD

Offline

#89 2014-03-11 16:25:10

Mewster
New member
Registered: 2014-03-10
Post 3/6

Re: Pokemon Crystal Complete! (Now using pokecrystal)

Uhm.

When I "make", i get a
"baserom.gbc pokecrystal.gbc difference: byte 328, line 1"
"make : *** [pokecrystal.gbc] error 1"
(translated, is more or less like this)

Offline

#90 2014-03-11 16:28:21

RPD490
Member
From: Blackthorn City, Johto
Registered: 2012-09-29
Post 252/260
Website

Re: Pokemon Crystal Complete! (Now using pokecrystal)

Thats suppose to happen. Its because Crystal Complete has more data in it than the vanilla Crystal ROM. The Rom is still created as pokecrystal. You'll know it will work if you go to the Options menu of the compiled ROM and see the changes like the option for the Music Player.

Offline

#91 2014-03-11 19:28:38

Mewster
New member
Registered: 2014-03-10
Post 4/6

Re: Pokemon Crystal Complete! (Now using pokecrystal)

Oh, you were right.

Actually I wanted the game only to listen to the song e OHMYGAWD THAT awesome colored player!

Now i only need an emulator that doesn't mute on background :P

Offline

#92 2014-03-12 07:49:54

RPD490
Member
From: Blackthorn City, Johto
Registered: 2012-09-29
Post 253/260
Website

Re: Pokemon Crystal Complete! (Now using pokecrystal)

You playing on VBA? Just go to the Options, Emulator and make sure "Pause game with inactive window" is unchecked XD
Also what full colored character? My OC sprite that is my avatar?

Last edited by RPD490 (2014-03-12 07:50:34)

Offline

#93 2014-03-12 09:32:58

Mewster
New member
Registered: 2014-03-10
Post 5/6

Re: Pokemon Crystal Complete! (Now using pokecrystal)

Already tried VBA. It doesn't pause indeed, but the sound mutes when in background.

I meant the music player, with the note display XD
Anyway I get a soft crackling sound when listening to not-crystal-music. Is it normal? (it doesn't happen with VBA)

Last edited by Mewster (2014-03-12 19:51:43)

Offline

#94 2014-04-04 13:51:55

FroggestSpirit
Member
Registered: 2012-03-12
Post 250/300
Website

Re: Pokemon Crystal Complete! (Now using pokecrystal)

Bgb will let you listen to the music when the window is inactive. IIRC, I included a GBS file with the soundtrack, which can be played in any GBS player. I never noticed crackling on the songs, though that sounds like it could be an emulator issue, maybe not running at full speed.


This isn't easy to say, but…
Music and ASM hacker

Offline

#95 2014-04-08 18:17:59

Mewster
New member
Registered: 2014-03-10
Post 6/6

Re: Pokemon Crystal Complete! (Now using pokecrystal)

It happened only with the "new" songs.

I don't think it's a speed problem... i7 860, and I have no problems with vba

Offline

#96 2014-04-10 11:54:31

FroggestSpirit
Member
Registered: 2012-03-12
Post 251/300
Website

Re: Pokemon Crystal Complete! (Now using pokecrystal)

I'm not sure then. All the music runs in the same engine


This isn't easy to say, but…
Music and ASM hacker

Offline

#97 2014-08-05 00:50:39

Shugo
New member
Registered: 2014-08-04
Post 1/5

Re: Pokemon Crystal Complete! (Now using pokecrystal)

Would it be possible to make a ROM that boots directly to the music player and that works on original Game Boy? I actually listen to GBS soundtracks on a real Game Boy using GBS2GB because I like the original sound quality a lot more than the GBC, but Crystal is GBC-only. Maybe replace the "only compatible with GBC" screen with the music player?

I would've just used the GBS file you mentioned in an earlier post, but I can't find it. Plus the in-game music player you implemented is much better than GBS2GB's player. I listen to the Pokemon soundtracks quite regularly so I'm loving this a lot (though the TCG and Pinball soundtracks here are inaccurate, but I'm assuming that's to do with being ported into Crystal).


EDIT: Speaking of real hardware, what would you say to adding an option to the options menu for resetting the clock? There's no flashcart that I'm aware of that has an RTC, so to play this on a flashcart means that time will be frozen unless you do that stupid complicated password generation thing to change the clock. I've always wished I could play Gold/Silver/Crystal on a flashcart but I never end up actually doing it because of the RTC issues.

Last edited by Shugo (2014-08-05 02:15:12)

Offline

#98 2014-08-24 04:02:47

RPD490
Member
From: Blackthorn City, Johto
Registered: 2012-09-29
Post 257/260
Website

Re: Pokemon Crystal Complete! (Now using pokecrystal)

Shugo wrote:

Would it be possible to make a ROM that boots directly to the music player and that works on original Game Boy? I actually listen to GBS soundtracks on a real Game Boy using GBS2GB because I like the original sound quality a lot more than the GBC, but Crystal is GBC-only. Maybe replace the "only compatible with GBC" screen with the music player?

I would've just used the GBS file you mentioned in an earlier post, but I can't find it. Plus the in-game music player you implemented is much better than GBS2GB's player. I listen to the Pokemon soundtracks quite regularly so I'm loving this a lot (though the TCG and Pinball soundtracks here are inaccurate, but I'm assuming that's to do with being ported into Crystal).


EDIT: Speaking of real hardware, what would you say to adding an option to the options menu for resetting the clock? There's no flashcart that I'm aware of that has an RTC, so to play this on a flashcart means that time will be frozen unless you do that stupid complicated password generation thing to change the clock. I've always wished I could play Gold/Silver/Crystal on a flashcart but I never end up actually doing it because of the RTC issues.


The reason the RTC in CC doesn't function properly is because Forrest changed the ROM type from a MBC3, which is what Game Boy games use to utilize the real time clock, to I think an MBC5, which doesn't have the RTC, but allows for more data to be stored, which is why compiling the hack makes the ROM 4MB, which is a lot of room for content in a GBC game.

I could be wrong because I haven't touched Crystal Complete for like months and now I am getting back into, but that is what I can recall.

Offline

#99 2014-08-24 04:10:36

Shugo
New member
Registered: 2014-08-04
Post 5/5

Re: Pokemon Crystal Complete! (Now using pokecrystal)

RPD490 wrote:

The reason the RTC in CC doesn't function properly is because Forrest changed the ROM type from a MBC3, which is what Game Boy games use to utilize the real time clock, to I think an MBC5, which doesn't have the RTC, but allows for more data to be stored, which is why compiling the hack makes the ROM 4MB, which is a lot of room for content in a GBC game.

I could be wrong because I haven't touched Crystal Complete for like months and now I am getting back into, but that is what I can recall.

Well that would explain why the RTC hasn't been working in my emulator. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline

#100 2014-08-24 04:31:35

RPD490
Member
From: Blackthorn City, Johto
Registered: 2012-09-29
Post 258/260
Website

Re: Pokemon Crystal Complete! (Now using pokecrystal)

Shugo wrote:
RPD490 wrote:

The reason the RTC in CC doesn't function properly is because Forrest changed the ROM type from a MBC3, which is what Game Boy games use to utilize the real time clock, to I think an MBC5, which doesn't have the RTC, but allows for more data to be stored, which is why compiling the hack makes the ROM 4MB, which is a lot of room for content in a GBC game.

I could be wrong because I haven't touched Crystal Complete for like months and now I am getting back into, but that is what I can recall.

Well that would explain why the RTC hasn't been working in my emulator. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah that is why mine is always stuck at night and everytime you select a card from your Poke Gear, the day changes to a random day....and the impending phone call occurs XD

Also, since TCG/TCG2 and Pokemon Pinball music has been added I been trying to figure out the constant to change the music in the Hall of Fame room from the New Bark Town theme to the Hall of Honor from TCG, problem is, it isn't in the music_constants.asm as wasn't updated since the inclusion of the Voltorb Flip and Prism tracks, 7 months ago, so I was wondering if anyone knows what the music constants for the TCG/TCG tracks are.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB