Re: Pokemon Red, The Remake!

In a minute, im on my phone. Give me like 10-20 minutes

This isn't easy to say, but…
Music and ASM hacker

#77 2013-02-03 23:24:25

tysonrss
Post 536/649

Yeah I gave Crystal a try, I inserted some sprites through pokecrystal but as far as other graphics are concerned like the trainer card, they seem to be uncompressed which makes things difficult. I just don't see the reason on why she would work on crystal, things have been fine.

So I'm going to split things up, I'm going to work on what I've done and you can work on crystal.

Last edited by tysonrss (2013-02-03 23:25:07)

Pokemon Blue DX is reborn!

#78 2013-02-03 23:51:34

TheYena
Post 47/125
Website

tysonrss wrote:

I'll switch to Crystal after all, only because it's sexy. When we go to replace the tiles I want to keep the battle tower tiles for something we can use if we want to challenge gym leaders again.

ALSO, male and female playability is a nice added bonus I find.

You know the glitches that exist in the Pokémon games?
Only the ones named "MISSINGNO." are Missingno.
The others are not. They are their own glitches with their own names.
Sorry, it's a... thing that bugs me a little.

#79 2013-02-03 23:53:57

tysonrss
Post 537/649

TheYena wrote:
tysonrss wrote:

I'll switch to Crystal after all, only because it's sexy. When we go to replace the tiles I want to keep the battle tower tiles for something we can use if we want to challenge gym leaders again.

ALSO, male and female playability is a nice added bonus I find.

Well Frog can do an official version which is Crystal, the unoffical version will be the one I work on. I'll still help him of course, as he would me.

Besides, boy/girl could be easily added into gold through assembly. KBM did it with Prism.

Last edited by tysonrss (2013-02-03 23:59:58)

#80 2013-02-04 00:24:16

Chaos Rush
Post 56/62

Just curious, but:
https://github.com/kanzure/pokecrystal
Is this Pokemon Crystal disassembly complete? If it is, then wouldn't that be the best way to tackle this project? Since with disassembly, you basically have the original source code, meaning you don't have to worry about things like pointers.

#81 2013-02-04 00:24:49

stag019
Idea Killer
Post 307/630

No, it's not complete, but that doesn't mean it's not still useful.

You can try to hide yourself in this world of pretend; when the paper's crumpled up, it can't be perfect again.

#82 2013-02-04 00:26:22

tysonrss
Post 538/649

Chaos Rush wrote:

Just curious, but:
https://github.com/kanzure/pokecrystal
Is this Pokemon Crystal disassembly complete? If it is, then wouldn't that be the best way to tackle this project? Since with disassembly, you basically have the original source code, meaning you don't have to worry about things like pointers.

It is and i have been using it, but I don't understand assembly as much as you would like to believe. I do understand some of it but not enough that would ge the job done.

#83 2013-02-04 03:42:23

FroggestSpirit
Post 86/300
Website

Tyson, the split is fine with me. It can be beneficial to kind of do our own things, and share our finds, rather than trying to tackle the same thing. I have to do some more work, but I got all the block data definitions in. I realized.... hey, I could just paste the whole red rom in there, and still have like 5 MB to work with... but I don't think i'm going to do that.
Edit: Just finished putting the collision in. the only thing that isnt in is tile animation, after that, its just a matter of copy/pasting all the map's block data in.

Last edited by FroggestSpirit (2013-02-05 17:36:46)

This isn't easy to say, but…
Music and ASM hacker

#84 2013-04-05 19:54:29

AquaticOwl
Post 1/8

Hi there! I registered just to post in this thread to ask how the project is moving, if at all. I've been looking for a RBY->Gen II revamp for several years and am very excited to see this in action! I know very little about hacking but would be more than happy to get more into it and do some dirty work just to help the project, if it would help. Just let me know! Good luck guys, love the look so far!

#85 2013-04-05 21:46:09

YORAMRW
Post 34/1,199
Website

If you want to totally recreate Pokémon Red/Blue in Pokémon Crystal, you have to remake the color system from Pokémon Yellow, so the same thing happens on both Super Game Boy and Game Boy Color.

Hacks Gameboy 8-bit music in Pokémon Gen I & II, composes 8-bit music in FamiTracker

#86 2013-05-10 19:25:56

tysonrss
Post 623/649

Sorry, I kind of lost interest with the hack, mainly because my confidence was destroyed by the lack of appreciation not only from here but from outside influences as well. I managed to finish the Oak Script and rival battle and replaced the rival battle theme with the theme of teh Champion(which is the champion theme from Red that FroggestSpirit implemented).

When I get the chance, I may just post everything that I have worked on including notes(if there are any).

#87 2013-05-10 20:05:14

AquaticOwl
Post 8/8

tysonrss wrote:

Sorry, I kind of lost interest with the hack, mainly because my confidence was destroyed by the lack of appreciation not only from here but from outside influences as well. I managed to finish the Oak Script and rival battle and replaced the rival battle theme with the theme of teh Champion(which is the champion theme from Red that FroggestSpirit implemented).

When I get the chance, I may just post everything that I have worked on including notes(if there are any).

I would love to see that.

I'm really sorry that people didn't appreciate your work. It's worth it in my book, but I understand getting discouraged can really derail one's desire to continue. I wish I had more of an affinity for this kind of work so I could help out...I've been wanting this game since Gold and Silver came out--back when I was still in elementary school. Is there anything I can do, or has it been totally abandoned?

#88 2013-05-10 20:40:35

tysonrss
Post 624/649

AquaticOwl wrote:
tysonrss wrote:

I would love to see that.

I'm really sorry that people didn't appreciate your work. It's worth it in my book, but I understand getting discouraged can really derail one's desire to continue. I wish I had more of an affinity for this kind of work so I could help out...I've been wanting this game since Gold and Silver came out--back when I was still in elementary school. Is there anything I can do, or has it been totally abandoned?

It hasn't been abandoned entirely. Most of the ground work is finished. It's just scripting shit needs to be done. I just don't have the drive to care anymore though. Maybe I will return to it one day, on that note, if you want to work on it, you should learn how to script and what pointers are. Or come join the crew working on "pokecrystal", which is essentially a "new" way to work on these hacks.

#89 2017-01-06 15:07:39

wisejustin
Post 101/131

ive been attempting to do the same thing for a while now but i havent been able to script everything manually, is this project dead?

#90 2017-01-06 15:10:51

Mmmmmm
Post 215/261

Nobody has posted in this thread for three-and-a-half years. It's quite obviously dead. Closest thing to this project would be the opening to Twitch Plays Pokémon Anniversary Crystal starting as a Red remake before seguing into Johto partway through the plot.

Board footer