Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-01-27 19:33:52

Luigi-San
Post 99/129

Re: Pokemon Red, The Remake!

As far as the sprites are concerned, we could use Yellow's sprites instead of R/B's. I just feel that since this is a remake of R/B, we should use sprites from Generation I.

#27 2013-01-27 19:36:06

tysonrss
Post 489/649

Luigi-San wrote:

As far as the sprites are concerned, we could use Yellow's sprites instead of R/B's. I just feel that since this is a remake of R/B, we should use sprites from Generation I.

But that's the point, it's a remake. I don't really see the point if it's supposed to be a remake.

Pokemon Blue DX is reborn!

#28 2013-01-27 19:43:44

Mateo
Post 2,214/3,578

I would vote for using upgraded versions of the original sprites. As in, re-shade them and re-do them to be in the GSC style, but in their Gen I poses and such. That was my plan with SaR's Pokémon anyway.

EDIT: Example, Nidorino from SaR.
20720102.png

Last edited by Mateo (2013-01-27 19:46:02)

#29 2013-01-27 19:45:50

FroggestSpirit
Post 66/300
Website

for now, let's leave the sprites alone for in battles (other than gold's sprite, obviously needs to be red's, and dude's needs to be old man). If we change that, I feel it should be one of the last things.
As for events... Why not just copy the 8 gymleaders from johto, and change their sprites so they look like the kanto ones, and vise versa, so they give the first 8 badges still, which can also be GFX hacked to be kanto badges, and vise vera. I'm fine with us blanking out event data in johto. If it's 3 years in the past, it's going to be different stuff anyways. I guess the block data and connections for johto is what I really want to try leaving alone.
Still not understanding the connection glitches, but I fear it is from (maybe) exceeding a max width of maps in GSC (if there is a max). I fixed the fuscia city south connection, so its really only an error with East/West connections. but alas, this shouldnt hold us back. worse comes to worse, I might have to split a few routes in half (one route would use 2 maps) but I'd rather try and find a workaround first, even if it requires a little ASM editing.

This isn't easy to say, but…
Music and ASM hacker

#30 2013-01-27 19:47:59

Mateo
Post 2,215/3,578

Speaking of the Old Man, if you want, you are welcome to use my devamped Old Man from Fire Red that I made for SaR.

oldmanv.png

I figure since the hacks have a lot in common, I would offer to help with anything I had already done for the remake aspect.

#31 2013-01-27 19:53:48

Luigi-San
Post 100/129

We'll still need sprites for trainers and trainer classes that were in Generation I but not Generation II, though.

#32 2013-01-27 19:59:00

tysonrss
Post 490/649

FroggestSpirit wrote:

for now, let's leave the sprites alone for in battles (other than gold's sprite, obviously needs to be red's, and dude's needs to be old man). If we change that, I feel it should be one of the last things.
As for events... Why not just copy the 8 gymleaders from johto, and change their sprites so they look like the kanto ones, and vise versa, so they give the first 8 badges still, which can also be GFX hacked to be kanto badges, and vise vera. I'm fine with us blanking out event data in johto. If it's 3 years in the past, it's going to be different stuff anyways. I guess the block data and connections for johto is what I really want to try leaving alone.
Still not understanding the connection glitches, but I fear it is from (maybe) exceeding a max width of maps in GSC (if there is a max). I fixed the fuscia city south connection, so its really only an error with East/West connections. but alas, this shouldnt hold us back. worse comes to worse, I might have to split a few routes in half (one route would use 2 maps) but I'd rather try and find a workaround first, even if it requires a little ASM editing.

I already changed Gold's sprite to Red. What I'm basically doing at the moment is changing Overworlds.

As for the badges, well all we need to do is use the flags for those badges, nothing special or hard to do about that. All we do is create a new bank of gym leaders for their battle data and link that to the script with the flag. Give the leaders in Kanto the script and flag obviously, the flag for Johto badges and redo the GFX, which I did on my remake. But anyways, you don't seem to understand fully, we wouldn't be technically erasing anything, just storing it in another place. It's the wild data that we would replace for Johto, and map data...or something...damn...it's hard to explain, its been so long. Mateo could explain it better as he helped me understand how to do it before.

Last edited by tysonrss (2013-01-27 20:00:13)

#33 2013-01-27 21:03:30

tysonrss
Post 492/649

I know this is supposed to be a remake, and since I'm editing overworlds I came across Rocket Excecutives. I was thinking we should keep them and use them in place of Jessie and James and also give them better story plot. What do you guys think?

So far I have Red, Gary and Red Bicycle completed. I'm going to replace the other Red OW and draw Giovanni over him, then Cook, Chandler, Lorelei and Agatha. And the old man lying down.

#34 2013-01-28 02:35:33

FroggestSpirit
Post 67/300
Website

Sounds good! and Mateo, that could be a good idea, although, I didn't see your post last time i posted, so you musit have submitted it as i was typing. tysonrss, If you mean like... repointing data, I think I get it. Also... we are going to need to script the pokemon tower, and the SS anne. I would say if we go to johto, the SS anne is the way, so we dont have to edit maps to get there. As for the rocket executives, that could be something... hmmm, but I do want to stick word for word to red version, but a few extra battles might not hurt :)

Music and ASM hacker

#35 2013-01-28 02:38:55

tysonrss
Post 496/649

Join the chat if you please/

#36 2013-01-28 15:02:15

FroggestSpirit
Post 69/300
Website

Tyson, I know it might be a bit of a headache... and I'm sorry, but could you please use this version? it now contains properly linked maps
https://anonfiles.com/file/4cb739f39c46 … 73b3ec3f85
I also replaced some sprites. Gold is red, silver is blue, and red is old man laying, snorlax, fossil, amber, boulder, and paper i think... also, surfing and fishing sprites are in. if you find any connection errors, please tell me

Music and ASM hacker

#37 2013-01-28 19:43:37

tysonrss
Post 498/649

Crap....well I wish you didn't replace Red and Blue first because Giovanni is easily drawn when using Red as a base in fact they're very similar, same with Chandler and Blue.

But yeah sure, those shouldn't take as long as many others. I'm going to redraw Lorelei and Agatha and then I guess we shall be all set. Are the Excutives still in the game?

And nice to know the connections are dealt with.

EDIT: Okay yeah I'm going to replace Will, Karen, Blue(Champion Blue outfit) and Janine with Lorelei, Agatha, Chandler and Giovanni respectively. After that we should be all set.

Last edited by tysonrss (2013-01-28 19:52:04)

#38 2013-01-28 20:08:44

Mateo
Post 2,218/3,578

Wait tysonrss, are you manually redrawing the overworlds? You can just drag-and-drop them from Red over to Gold in TLP. Or since drag-and-drop is only one tile at a time, you can select then copy-paste the whole overworld over at once.

I'm assuming I'm misunderstanding though, you're probably talking about something else.

Last edited by Mateo (2013-01-28 20:15:12)

#39 2013-01-28 20:27:08

tysonrss
Post 499/649

Mateo wrote:

Wait tysonrss, are you manually redrawing the overworlds? You can just drag-and-drop them from Red over to Gold in TLP. Or since drag-and-drop is only one tile at a time, you can select then copy-paste the whole overworld over at once.

I'm assuming I'm misunderstanding though, you're probably talking about something else.

Yes, I was manually redrawing them. I couldn't see all the sprites in TLP, I have the offset that starts at Red's OW but not every sprite in the game is at the same bank. For Pokemon Red.

EDIT: Also, for the threads sake, I'm going to go ahead and insert the gym badges and leader face prints on the trainer card. Also, Mateo, I found the other sprites in TLP, they were above the sprites I was referring to, but Frog took care of those already. So at least I know where to go now. Thanks.

Last edited by tysonrss (2013-01-28 20:35:46)

#40 2013-01-28 20:39:03

Mateo
Post 2,219/3,578

No problem mate.

#41 2013-01-28 22:03:13

tysonrss
Post 500/649

Okay, so I inserted the GFX for leader faceprints and badges as well as Red's sprite on the trainer card. What's left to do is finish the OWs and replace Gold's intro sprite with Red's as well as Oak's sprite with the revamped one I did. In addition, I'm going to replace Silver's battle sprites with the Green/Blue sprites I revamped. The sprites are Green to represent the rival's name from the manga but if people are more comfortable with Blue being blue I will edit the sprite and apply the changes to blue. In addition I'm going to replace the names in the intro when choosing a name and then I will fork the game back over.

EDIT: Oh and almost forgot, but I would like to use the revamped Red backsprite used in Danny's hack to insert.

EDIT2: I'm going to use the Red sprite on Green's titlescreen for the sprite on the trainer badge since it matches the Red sprite I'm going to already insert.

Last edited by tysonrss (2013-01-28 22:32:52)

#42 2013-01-28 23:07:50

SSJ4 Furanki
Post 44/51

I'd be willing to do some devamps of  FR/LG or later games Pokémon, so the game doesn't have to be forced to use outdated looking sprites (Gold and Silver's are fine; but, just if you wanna change the graphics but not go to Red/Green/Blue/Yellow's.) If you'd want to go that route.

Example:
BW/BW2's - Bulbasaur
bulbasaurbwdevamp.png

Last edited by SSJ4 Furanki (2013-01-28 23:29:35)

#43 2013-01-29 01:19:41

tysonrss
Post 502/649

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:

I'd be willing to do some devamps of  FR/LG or later games Pokémon, so the game doesn't have to be forced to use outdated looking sprites (Gold and Silver's are fine; but, just if you wanna change the graphics but not go to Red/Green/Blue/Yellow's.) If you'd want to go that route.

Example:
BW/BW2's - Bulbasaur
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/5425 … devamp.png

Hmm....not really sure, though ultimately it's up the actual author of the hack. But to be honest, I'm against it.

Okay, here's a list of what I have done.

Red, Green, Oak sprites have been replaced with my revamped sprites. Brock and Misty are next. Will and Karen will be replaced by Lorelei and Agatha respectively. I will also insert Giovanni's sprites. I think I will replace all trainer sprites with my revamped ones(and a couple of Luigi San since I didn't complete like 4 sprites)just to get it out the way.
Gold on trainer card has been replaced by the Red sprite on the Pokemon Green titlescreen as it matches the revamped Red sprite I inserted.
Badges and Gym Leader faces have been inserted into trainer card.
The most important OWs have been inserted.
Hero's position has been moved to Pallet Town inside Red's room. Intro names will be replaced soon, as well as intro dialouge to match Red/Blue.

And that's all pretty much. Once I finish I will reupload for Frog to begin whatever it is he has planned. We need someone to do the titlescreen though and also have a proper title name. Pokemon RE: Red Version, Pokemon Red DX, Pokemon Red's Adventure are just some names I came up with.

*Green's sprites are revamped Yellow version, with the exception of his Champion sprite which is the Red/Blue version sprite
*In Pokemon Green/Red, Red has a circle on his cap, this was changed in Blue version to look like his manga counterpart, then changed again in Yellow/Silver/Gold/Crystal to match his anime counterpart.
*Falker, Whitney, Karen, GSC Blue, and Janine overworlds have been replaced. There may be one or two more.

Stay tuned for more updates.

Last edited by tysonrss (2013-01-29 01:35:13)

#44 2013-01-29 02:19:25

tysonrss
Post 503/649

What do you guys think of this Lorelei sprite? Tried making it look closer to how she actually looks. Color wise.

358vr0y.jpg

#45 2013-01-29 02:46:32

FroggestSpirit
Post 70/300
Website

In my opinion... I'd rather stick to the Red/blue/green style battle sprites... but then theres the problem of johto pokemon. so that's why for right now, maybe it should be left alone. Say we only got 80% of this done, I'd rather it be the story and events than graphics (although overworlds and trainers make sense to change) no matter what sprite you use for the pokemon, it's still the same pokemon.
I like the name Pokemon Red DX. It goes along with some other gbc games, like link's awakening DX, and it's short, and to the point.
the rooftop colors are based on the bank the map is in... so you have to swap maps to get it to work. i'm not to worried about that right now.
The important thing that I feel needs to be done, is sticking to what NEEDS to be in rather than what COULD/CAN be in, like I said, I'd rather get pokemon red recreated first before we add a ton of stuff (if we do). Also, the rocket executives where you battled jessie and james still sounds good.
Oh, and if it's not too much trouble, maybe leave the rival blue? I like reading the pokemon adventures manga, but I just always know him as blue from the english games

Music and ASM hacker

#46 2013-01-29 02:54:59

tysonrss
Post 504/649

FroggestSpirit wrote:

In my opinion... I'd rather stick to the Red/blue/green style battle sprites... but then theres the problem of johto pokemon. so that's why for right now, maybe it should be left alone. Say we only got 80% of this done, I'd rather it be the story and events than graphics (although overworlds and trainers make sense to change) no matter what sprite you use for the pokemon, it's still the same pokemon.
I like the name Pokemon Red DX. It goes along with some other gbc games, like link's awakening DX, and it's short, and to the point.
the rooftop colors are based on the bank the map is in... so you have to swap maps to get it to work. i'm not to worried about that right now.
The important thing that I feel needs to be done, is sticking to what NEEDS to be in rather than what COULD/CAN be in, like I said, I'd rather get pokemon red recreated first before we add a ton of stuff (if we do). Also, the rocket executives where you battled jessie and james still sounds good.
Oh, and if it's not too much trouble, maybe leave the rival blue? I like reading the pokemon adventures manga, but I just always know him as blue from the english games

I'm confused...I'm not replacing the pokemon sprites...only the battle sprites, revamped versions of Red/Blue/Yellow...I'm not using devamps of newer games. That's not my style.

And okay, I already inserted the rival in green but I can reinsert it with blue colors.

Also, do you have the skill to insert asm routines to make it so that you name the rival in the intro?

There still is a lot to be done before we start scripting anything, like I said before, we need to utilze Johto's wild and map data for Kanto so that the world map is displayed correctly. We also need to insert some extra trainer bannks into free space, the most important one is rival.

Also, I know this is early in, but I was wondering if when the time comes, should we include a place where you battle all kanto leaders again? Just gives the game so playability after beating it. The reason I ask now is because we need some trainer data space, but there is plenty from what I remember.

#47 2013-01-29 13:01:39

FroggestSpirit
Post 71/300
Website

About the pokemon pic inserting, I meant it as more of a general message to everyone, not really directed towards you.
I could look into the ASM routine... I want to say it might be activated by text commands?
Go ahead and delete every event from johto if you need. We got to redo them anyways if we go to johto later on (same with wild data)
I still have to insert buildings and stuff x.x lol.
I like the idea of rebattling gymleaders, kind of like how they did in HG/SS. Although, I know you can battle your rival at indigo plateau every... tuesday was it? saturday? anyways, maybe we could do something like that for them.
I know the two other ASM things we have to figure out is the pokemon tower with ghost battles, and the SS anne leaving the screen.
I want to say that the game corner should be fine left alone (slot games and stuff) but If someone could tell me the memory allocation for said games in gold, I might feel a bit ambitious and remake our favorite voltorb flip! (the only game you can actually win coins in pokemon)

Music and ASM hacker

#48 2013-01-29 15:30:12

602/703

FroggestSpirit wrote:

I like the idea of rebattling gymleaders, kind of like how they did in HG/SS. Although, I know you can battle your rival at indigo plateau every... tuesday was it? saturday?

Monday and Wednesday. From the disassembly:

UnknownScript_0x180094: ; 0x180094
        checkbit1 $0319
        iffalse UnknownScript_0x18012b
        checkbit2 $005d
        iftrue UnknownScript_0x18012b
        checkcode $b
        if_equal SUNDAY, UnknownScript_0x18012b
        if_equal TUESDAY, UnknownScript_0x18012b
        if_equal THURSDAY, UnknownScript_0x18012b
        if_equal FRIDAY, UnknownScript_0x18012b
        if_equal SATURDAY, UnknownScript_0x18012b
        appear $5
        …

#49 2013-01-29 19:25:05

FroggestSpirit
Post 72/300
Website

Thanks IIMarckus! This should come in handy! I just realized... as far as the gamecorner, as long as I can find the routine to load map block data, I should just be able to use 0xC700-0xCAFF for voltorb flip ram (no promises though) and then reload the block data when you quit playing it.
Do you guys think we should create a thread in the hacks section?

Music and ASM hacker

#50 2013-01-29 20:00:17

tysonrss
Post 507/649

FroggestSpirit wrote:

Thanks IIMarckus! This should come in handy! I just realized... as far as the gamecorner, as long as I can find the routine to load map block data, I should just be able to use 0xC700-0xCAFF for voltorb flip ram (no promises though) and then reload the block data when you quit playing it.
Do you guys think we should create a thread in the hacks section?

No not yet, not until we start scripting the game.

As for when I will reupload the hack, I'm not quite sure now, for some reason certain sprites aren't displaying correctly in AgiXP even though they have 4 colors. It's annoying me, Surge and Misty and Bruno are having this problem, and I'm betting there are others as well. When I figure it out and insert all the sprites I will upload so you can begin your work.

EDIT: I've got things worked out. So I possibly will be reuploading later :)

Last edited by tysonrss (2013-01-29 23:19:20)

Board footer