Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-13 10:10:45

koolboyman
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 137/203

An interview with me!

I thought this came out pretty well.  I felt like I over explained a couple of things but aside from that I think I did alright.  Lemme know you think.

http://www.gengame.net/2013/01/gengame- … oolboyman/

Offline

#2 2013-01-13 10:26:16

rko420
Member
From: Newbark town (jotho)
Registered: 2012-09-15
Post 69/75

Re: An interview with me!

Yeah i read this on FB . Really nice


Ready for saving the world

Offline

#3 2013-01-13 10:27:54

y0r124
Member
From: Anywhere.
Registered: 2012-09-12
Post 194/331
Website

Re: An interview with me!

Great, And it make know more about Prism. :D


my FB

Lurking somewhere here...

Offline

#4 2013-01-13 11:12:11

Miksy91
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 1,447/2,339

Re: An interview with me!

I could probably say more than this but these two parts of the interview are ones that I have more to say about so I just comment on them.

Interview wrote:

GG: Care to share some of the updates you’ve made? And how do you go about deciding what new features you should or shouldn’t incorporate?

KBM: Sure. When deciding whether something should be implemented or not my first priority is how it would affect the entire game. For example, lemonade in the official games might seem like a trivial addition at first, but it heals more and costs less than Super Potions, which then makes Super Potions useless once somebody has figured that out.

So after figuring out if a feature is going to break something or not and then making the necessary alterations to make sure nothing is broken (if it can even be done), my second priority is to make sure that the feature is actually fun. I’ve made a couple of features that were left unused in Prism because simply, it wasn’t fun.

Like it should be done! I completely agree you with this. There is no point adding in a new feature if it isn't fun or has an actual purpose related to the gameplay or some side-quest for instance. I too have ended up taking out some features, mostly because of not having enough experience back then to create stuff in the way players would want it to be.

For instance related to some hacks out there, no one would want to play a game with "increased difficulty" being one of its main features, especially in pokemon games which would only mean lots of bush grinding.


Interview wrote:

GG: So would you say it’s a little more plot-focused than Gold itself?

KBM: Yeah, I tried to make Naljo be a very unique region from the other regions in the Pokémon world. The main idea that motivated me to work on the region in Brown was to make it simply an extension of Pokémon Red. While that wasn’t a bad idea, the Rijon region really didn’t hold it’s own unique identity from Kanto. In my opinion, it was shown as just a generic region that existed in the Pokémon World (In Brown anyway).

I remember you replying to me about it sometime already but it's good to hear Prism is more focused on the plot than most original games are. As my personal opinion, I have to say that I didn't like Brown so much, simply because of Rijon being too generic like you said there. The new features you coded in Brown (especially the larger amount of pokemon) are very impressive and I wouldn't have an idea how to do things like that on my own. Still, the hack didn't appeal to me as much as I thought it would. It was probably also because I was expecting more of it.

In nutshell:
You were able to catch new legendary pokemon, visit a final dungeon and fight some "pallet patroller" type of a guy as the final trainer. But some things just didn't make much sense. I mean, why would there be a dungeon with talented trainers in there waiting in line for you to fight all of them to get to some guy who just wants you to go one-on-one with him?
Of course, pokemon had always been like that!

Still, Brown had potential for much more and at the time when I played it, I was a bit disappointed at it...

Looking forward to checking out Prism though! It's also good to hear you've put real thought into storyline and planning there. As personal opinion, I think planning and coding should go hand in hand. If you don't have imagination, what is the use of knowing how to program?

Last edited by Miksy91 (2013-01-13 11:14:59)

Offline

#5 2013-01-14 09:50:44

koolboyman
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 138/203

Re: An interview with me!

Miksy91 wrote:

I remember you replying to me about it sometime already but it's good to hear Prism is more focused on the plot than most original games are. As my personal opinion, I have to say that I didn't like Brown so much, simply because of Rijon being too generic like you said there. The new features you coded in Brown (especially the larger amount of pokemon) are very impressive and I wouldn't have an idea how to do things like that on my own. Still, the hack didn't appeal to me as much as I thought it would. It was probably also because I was expecting more of it.

In nutshell:
You were able to catch new legendary pokemon, visit a final dungeon and fight some "pallet patroller" type of a guy as the final trainer. But some things just didn't make much sense. I mean, why would there be a dungeon with talented trainers in there waiting in line for you to fight all of them to get to some guy who just wants you to go one-on-one with him?
Of course, pokemon had always been like that!

Still, Brown had potential for much more and at the time when I played it, I was a bit disappointed at it...

Yeah I don't like Brown too much myself, but a lot of people seem to enjoy it so good for them.  Like I said in the interview, it was basically an extension of Red and Red really didn't have many events to go off of.  However back when Brown was released there weren't any other hacks like it.  Most Pokemon hacks were just simply graphic hacks, blatant map edits of Kanto or "hard versions", but as far as I know Brown was the first ROM Hack to take place in an entirely new region.  I personally think it helped evolve Pokemon ROM hacking a bit and raised people's expectations on what a Pokemon hack should be, even with the first version having endless glitches.  Hacks that came after that raised people's expectations on what a "good ROM hack" is even more and I hope it continues to keep growing forever.

I mean hell, in the very early days of ROM hacking (late 90's), I thought simple graphic hacks of Super Mario were amazing. 

Prism is not an "extension" of gold but a new Pokemon game just running off of its engine.  Are you confused on how the Pallet Patroller actually became the temporary leader of Team Rocket? 

Miksy91 wrote:

Looking forward to checking out Prism though! It's also good to hear you've put real thought into storyline and planning there. As personal opinion, I think planning and coding should go hand in hand. If you don't have imagination, what is the use of knowing how to program?

Exactly!

Last edited by koolboyman (2013-01-14 09:58:01)

Offline

#6 2013-01-14 13:00:37

Miksy91
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 1,450/2,339

Re: An interview with me!

koolboyman wrote:

Yeah I don't like Brown too much myself, but a lot of people seem to enjoy it so good for them.  Like I said in the interview, it was basically an extension of Red and Red really didn't have many events to go off of.  However back when Brown was released there weren't any other hacks like it.  Most Pokemon hacks were just simply graphic hacks, blatant map edits of Kanto or "hard versions", but as far as I know Brown was the first ROM Hack to take place in an entirely new region.  I personally think it helped evolve Pokemon ROM hacking a bit and raised people's expectations on what a Pokemon hack should be, even with the first version having endless glitches.  Hacks that came after that raised people's expectations on what a "good ROM hack" is even more and I hope it continues to keep growing forever.

Yeah, I saw writing about that in the interview. I remember playing Brown sometime before 2005 and at that time, it felt unbelievably good. Like you said, Brown was superior to many other rom hacks back then involving a "completely new game" built on pokemon red.

koolboyman wrote:

Are you confused on how the Pallet Patroller actually became the temporary leader of Team Rocket?

Are you referring to Prism or Brown here? I don't remember much at all of either one of them because it has probably been two years since I finished the current versions of both Brown and Prism.
It was fun seeing you implement the Pallet Patroller guys in that cave in Prism, that worked just fine. I guess it makes sense having a guy similar to their group in Brown too but I don't know, it didn't make much sense - not now and may have not back then when I played these two either.
I guess I could say something better about it if I played through Brown once more.

koolboyman wrote:
Miksy91 wrote:

Looking forward to checking out Prism though! It's also good to hear you've put real thought into storyline and planning there. As personal opinion, I think planning and coding should go hand in hand. If you don't have imagination, what is the use of knowing how to program?

Exactly!

Interesting to see we have similar conceptions about several things here!

Last edited by Miksy91 (2013-01-14 13:01:53)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB