Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#76 2013-02-14 16:06:29

chumon
Post 18/18
Website

Re: Gen 2: Fake 'em all! # Alpha version released #

I love all your ideas so far! I cant wait to be able to try this out!

Myuutsu <3

#77 2013-02-14 19:19:00

Gallego13
Post 82/94

Awesome work is awesome :D
Great job on this, I'll surely play it until the end and I may even record a full commented playthrough.
Can't wait for the release :P

#78 2013-02-16 13:58:02

blazerj13
Post 3/3

this game..... THIS GAME! i will play this as soon as there is a final release.... hell, ill even do a nuzlocke of it on my youtube channel.

#79 2013-02-16 14:49:21

Akwa
Post 95/140

Miksy91 wrote:

What about stone evolutions? Have you edited them as well because they totally would make sense being changed to level evolutions.

I'm not going to change their properties and my plan would be to randomize 1-3 families (+ Eevee family) for each stone. Their final form would require use of such stone. And because elemental stones are nowhere to be found (except for Mystery Gift and Cerulean City), I think I should make them collectable in Johto, for example by replacing some Guard Spec or Ultra Ball in Whirl Islands with Water Stone.

* In future versions I might randomize stone names and types they evolve. Right now Eevees will evolve into types they usually did.

Thanks for positive feedback, that's a nice power-up for me. I'm starting to work on special trainers right now. Randomizing gym types won't be a hard thing to do, but creating good movesets for gym leaders' and bosses pokemon will require creation of some long algorithm. But the final effect will be totally worth of it.

Last edited by Akwa (2013-02-16 14:51:11)

#80 2013-02-17 13:19:16

Cirrhosis
Post 14/33

Your hack has taken the shape of a fully-fledged new game.

#81 2013-02-17 17:02:59

Crystal_
Post 35/450
Website

Wow, awesome work so far! This looks so exciting to play, I can't wait! I really like how Pokemon will learn different moves adequated to their type, which is something that, if I remember correctly the rb randomizer did not feature. To be honest, the amount of possibilities this hack will feature is truly awesome.

As for the stones, maybe you could make them buyable in for example Goldenrod or Ecruteak mart, but make them very expensive. Just an idea if you are planning to make more than one Pokemon evolve via the same stone.

#82 2013-02-17 21:46:23

narfnrara
Post 4/47

As a request, would it be possible for this program to also create a log file so that it can be easily checked if you just want to play through while looking at the results? An example is the UniversalPokemonRandomizer, which does similar stuff, and it prints off the log file which has stuff like:

--Pokemon Base Stats & Types--
NUM|NAME      |TYPE             |  HP| ATK| DEF| SPE|SATK|SDEF
  1|Bulbasaur |DRAGON/FIGHTING  |  78|  74|  16|  62|  49|  39
  2|Ivysaur   |DRAGON/FIGHTING  |  99|  94|  20|  79|  62|  50
  3|Venusaur  |DRAGON/FIGHTING  | 129| 122|  26| 103|  81|  65

and
--Pokemon Movesets--
001 Bulbasaur  : DragonBreath at level 1, Triple Kick at level 4, Twister at level 7, Dragon Rage at level 10, Bite at level 15, Outrage at level 15, Karate Chop at level 20, Mach Punch at level 25, Counter at level 32, Vital Throw at level 39, Frustration at level 46

I'm really interested in this project as a whole because it does a lot of stuff the other don't. I just thought it'd be neat if I could look at log files after randomizing when the project comes out.

Good luck, and thank you for working on this!

stunfisking the nation since the 90s

#83 2013-02-18 00:17:37

emaj30
Post 286/463
Website

Yeah, logging the randomized rom is a great idea.

Last edited by emaj30 (2013-02-18 00:18:20)

#84 2013-02-20 17:03:59

Akwa
Post 96/140

Of course there will be an option to create log file. I also plan logging random seed and settings hash.

I decided to rewrite whole code from scratch, because it needs optimization. It will make code much more clear, shorter, faster in execution (I hope) and maybe in distant future people would be able to predefine some settings (necessary if randomizing hacks which differ in structure).

#85 2013-02-20 23:34:28

narfnrara
Post 8/47

Akwa wrote:

Of course there will be an option to create log file. I also plan logging random seed and settings hash.

I decided to rewrite whole code from scratch, because it needs optimization. It will make code much more clear, shorter, faster in execution (I hope) and maybe in distant future people would be able to predefine some settings (necessary if randomizing hacks which differ in structure).

Cool! I dunno what else to say except good luck! Your project is probably one of the most interesting things I've seen in a while, so kudos.

Oh, have you ever considered making certain groups of trainers other than gyms have similar pokemon? Maybe having an option to differentiate trainer type and give all trainers of that type a higher chance of having certain pokemon(barring the elite four and gym trainers/leaders, of course) so that Team Rocket for example would all have similar pokes or something.

Also, I had an idea on how you could go about coming up with an algorithm for Gym Leader movesets, but dunno if you want to hear.

Last edited by narfnrara (2013-02-20 23:34:52)

#86 2013-02-21 11:43:18

Akwa
Post 97/140

Thanks, narfnrara,

narfnrara wrote:

Oh, have you ever considered making certain groups of trainers other than gyms have similar pokemon? Maybe having an option to differentiate trainer type and give all trainers of that type a higher chance of having certain pokemon(barring the elite four and gym trainers/leaders, of course) so that Team Rocket for example would all have similar pokes or something.

Yup I created a list of types for each trainer group.
For each trainer group, Pokemon with types (primary having more weight than secondary) in the list are put in 'potential' list, from which pokemon are randomed. I can broaden this and even add weight for specific types (eg. Hikers having more Rock than Ground).
It's also important to monitor some pokemon so Youngster Joey doesn't come up with Normal/Ghost type ones. This can be done with limiting Ghost types until certain level.

narfnrara wrote:

Also, I had an idea on how you could go about coming up with an algorithm for Gym Leader movesets, but dunno if you want to hear.

Sure, why not.

#87 2013-02-22 04:21:16

narfnrara
Post 9/47

Ok Akwa. Since it was a bit long, I sent you an email.

#88 2013-02-24 22:10:22

Akwa
Post 98/140

Hey narfnrara, I will reply here instead of replying to your mail. You pointed out some special properties of Gym Leader Pokemon (one Pokemon is stronger than the rest, others have mixture of their own skills (usually the most useful ones) and TMs, egg moves etc.). You suggested putting move power and pokemon lvl in equation. I have a slightly different idea of doing that - I'll make use of my moveset generator but make it a bit more strict when it comes to move usefulness (only allow very useful skills in the potential pool). This way there will be many factors that will be taken into account (best/worst stats, level, type, other moves).

#89 2013-03-05 23:20:55

narfnrara
Post 10/47

Makes sense. One thing I forgot to say a few posts ago was asking if it'd be possible to modify the trainer-type associations with some sort of advanced option: choose to make Team Rocket have an obsession with Normal types or something for example, or make all trainers have equally random pokes.

How's the project coming along, btw? You mentioned rewriting the code to optimize it, so I hope you haven't come across roadblocks.

#90 2013-03-06 16:44:52

Akwa
Post 104/140

These are options I can put in.

I haven't finished rewriting yet. Honestly, I work on project every third day ;p The fact I wrote over 2500 lines of code for first version doesn't mean writing it again will be fast. I practically have to write every algorithm from scratch.

The good news, are, the following:
There will be Crystal version support. I wrote the code to make it very easy to load repointed data. Management of 'data segments' has also been improved. There's a lot of improvements here in general.

Moves generator has been improved - I added few new factors. My main goal was adjusting TM learnability so it's not like a move is either learnable by all Pokemon or just Pokemon having the same type. For example, non-psychic Pokemon can learn Psybeam by level-up if they have Confusion or Disable in their learnset, like Venonat. If they don't meet these requirements, they can still be taught Psybeam by TM if they have Night Shade in their moveset. I haven't tried it out yet but I hope this enriches (even more) the Pokemon movesets.

That's all for now. I'll let you all know few days before release.

#91 2013-03-06 18:05:00

Lugia
Banned
Post 4/7
Website

When it will realese in .jar

Lugia hurricane

#92 2013-03-06 18:30:43

Munchulax
Post 307/410

Lugia wrote:

When it will realese in .jar

Akwa wrote:

Fake 'em All! is a tool which changes the biggest constant in the game - Pokemon!

With this program and original .gbc file you will be able to randomize Pokemon in balanced way!
Every Pokemon will receive new personality - new type, new stats, new moves, new color and more!

This physically can not be released in .jar format.  It's a tool that you use on an original Pokemon G/S/C ROM.  Of course, you can still make a .jar of your "Fake 'em All!" ROM after you use the tool on it.

Last edited by Munchulax (2013-03-06 18:31:27)

“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” ― Oscar Wilde

#93 2013-03-06 18:49:15

Lugia
Banned
Post 5/7
Website

Thanks bro i am not pretty good at hacking through i love pokemon

Lugia hurricane

#94 2013-03-07 09:19:35

y0r124
Post 250/331
Website

Nice Info, like Dragon Warrior Monster that you can learn certain skill if have skill requirement.
*hard to understand, hope you can

my FB

Lurking somewhere here...

#95 2013-03-19 16:34:45

Akwa
Post 111/140

I've got a question to you. I'm going to do it anyway, but what do you think about replacing useless or unusual moves (eg. Frustration) with some moves from Gen III?
*It's going to be an option, of course

#96 2013-03-19 20:30:27

Cirrhosis
Post 30/33

Akwa wrote:

I've got a question to you. I'm going to do it anyway, but what do you think about replacing useless or unusual moves (eg. Frustration) with some moves from Gen III?
*It's going to be an option, of course

Yes please! Another thing you could do, is buffing up the power of moves to Gen V standards.

#97 2013-03-19 21:10:52

narfnrara
Post 15/47

I think it'd be a cool option. I suggest choosing moves that are easiest to replicate in GSC though, so like how Aqua Jet is a water version of Quick Attack or Ominous Wind is a ghost version of Ancientpower.

For reference, the types with the least offensive moves in Gen II are 
Dragon: 3 moves, Twister - Dragonbreath - Outrage
Ghost: 3 moves, Lick - Night Shade - Shadow Ball
and Steel: 3 moves, Iron Tail - Steel Wing - Metal Claw

I would suggest something like Meteor Mash or Iron Head for Steels, Ominous Wind or Shadow Sneak for Ghosts (I actually think replacing Nightmare with Shadow Sneak would be really cool), and Dragon Claw for Dragons if you had to choose.

There's also the types with the least effective offensive moves; the only good Bug type move is Megahorn, the only good Dark type move is Crunch, etc.

Just suggestions!

#98 2013-03-19 21:35:10

Akwa
Post 112/140

Yup my main focus will be adding offensive moves to the types which need them the most. Steel will probably receive Meteor Mash, Bug can receive Silver Wind or Signal Beam, Ghost-types will be given Astonish, etc, Dragons will be given Dragon Claw. Ghosts and Steel need attacking moves the most because to me, Night Shade doesn't feel like a 'real' damaging move and Lick has 15 power, while Steel moves use body parts (wings, claw, tail) so most of time not all Steel moves will be available to Steel Pokemon, for example because my moveset randomizer won't give Voltorb Iron Tail.

Not sure whether to use Gen IV&V moves or just Gen III (they feel too distant to me).

I will replace moves which are of no use to AI or just suck, like Frustration, Return, Razor Wind, Attract. I might even get rid of some duplicates, like Bind or Wrap because I see no point in having two moves with everything identical but the name.

I will add Gen V move update, it will be off by default and it will be player's choice whether he wants to use it.

And speaking of Dragon Claw, I found out how to edit moves' animations. Pardon for the quality, I used some random online .gif converter:
dragonclaw.gif

#99 2013-03-19 21:51:54

narfnrara
Post 16/47

That's really awesome! Yeah, I think those are good choices to do, though perhaps we could keep Return (it's a useful move for normal types).

Have you considered releasing a test release at some point before releasing the full thing? It could help drum up interest in the project, I think.

#100 2013-03-19 22:09:33

Cirrhosis
Post 31/33

More than Return/Frustration (which can reach a nice 102 base power and be quite useful, especially if you intend to extend compatibility to Crystal and therefore leaving the Battle Tower), you could remove damn Constrict, Comet Punch...some of those utterly worthless moves with laughable BP. Seriously, Constrict. Don't know what GF was thinking about when they created that move. Probably the result of some odd substances.

Last edited by Cirrhosis (2013-03-19 22:12:33)

Board footer