Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-01-22 13:54:49

wilso
Post 3/12

Re: Gen 2: Fake 'em all! # Alpha version released #

also what are you gonna do about the gyms (i mean say falkners gym has the same pokemon but with dif types or something?)

#27 2013-01-22 19:05:23

Akwa
Post 69/140

FroggestSpirit wrote:

You should add an option to also randomize their cries. Each cry is defined in 3 bytes, so it shouldn't be too hard if we know a few reasonable ranges.

That's an idea worth considering. Do you mean just editing their cry properties (pitch etc.) or also the base of cry (eg. giving Squirtle Bulbasaur's cry)?

wilso wrote:

also what are you gonna do about the gyms (i mean say falkners gym has the same pokemon but with dif types or something?)

Types will be randomed, in short. I will develop an algorithm which chooses random Pokemon of that type to the gym leader and picks moves for them. I will also random every TM in game to TM with move of similiar power.

So one game Falkner could be Rock leader with Rock-type Pineco having Acid Armor as 'special move' instead of Mud Slap (and such TM would be given).

#28 2013-01-23 04:50:25

wilso
Post 4/12

sweet hopefully u can figure out something its just that i dont mind it still saying its a flying gym but as long as all the pokes inside have/keep the same type if u know what im saying

#29 2013-01-23 15:15:20

FroggestSpirit
Post 56/300
Website

I meant all 3 bytes (pitch, length and base) although needless to say, the random number for base would need to be within the range of actual bases, and i'd imagine that a length of FF might not be to pleasing. I haven't messed with them, but I think it could be fun(ny)

Edit: also, It might be worth the time to do a few option things, so people could randomize certain parts, like leaving trainers of same type, but maybe including an option for shuffling their pokemon too?

Last edited by FroggestSpirit (2013-01-23 15:16:57)

This isn't easy to say, but…
Music and ASM hacker

#30 2013-01-23 21:16:46

Akwa
Post 70/140

FroggestSpirit wrote:

It might be worth the time to do a few option things, so people could randomize certain parts, like leaving trainers of same type, but maybe including an option for shuffling their pokemon too?

I will put some options for players, mainly concerning starter pokemon, gyms, TMs and HMs, wild pokemon.

Phew, it took me few good hours to script move inheritance for evolutions and randoming levels when moves are learnt. I finally made it!

In original game, evolutions learn same moves as their prevolutions, with some rules:
- moves are learnt on later levels (the ones learnt after evolution)
- moves which are first on the list are also learned on level 1

I have finally managed to do this except for the fact some pokemon can learn brand-new type moves upon evolution (eg. Dragonite learning Wing Attack on lvl 55)

Now, even a Metapod has a bigger moveset! Still I think I should make it so one or two pokemon take over the role of Metapod and have one move like Harden only until they evolve.

So this means I'm gradually getting closer to release and there's no obstacle which I can't pass ;)

Last edited by Akwa (2013-01-23 21:18:54)

#31 2013-01-23 21:31:20

Miksy91
Post 1,461/2,339

Sounding good!

#32 2013-01-23 23:11:43

chumon
Post 16/18
Website

is there a way to make an option to say; if a charmander became ice type you could have them learn ice type moves instead of its fire type moves? Like as a half way between nothing and random movesets?

Myuutsu <3

#33 2013-01-23 23:26:38

Akwa
Post 71/140

chumon wrote:

if a charmander became ice type you could have them learn ice type moves instead of its fire type moves? Like as a half way between nothing and random movesets?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'them'.
If you mean charmanders, I already finished moveset generator, here is a sample generated moveset for Charmander:
'Scratch', 'Barrier', 'Foresight', 'Powder Snow', 'Mist', 'Rage', 'Icy Wind', 'Take Down', 'Belly Drum', 'Extreme Speed'
If you mean TMs, I already implemented it aswell.

I forgot to add earlier, I also added a nice option: player can choose if he wants unfitting moves in movesets. If he wants Butterfree to be able to learn Mega Punch or Hoppip to learn Hi Jump Kick, he can toggle the option. By default, pokemon won't be able to do so.

#34 2013-01-24 02:12:57

chumon
Post 17/18
Website

I meant as an example. But what you've already done sounds fine. A good compromise. Between hard and not hard.

Myuutsu <3

#35 2013-01-24 03:32:07

yeth
Post 2/4

"creating movesets from scratch with random amount of moves instead of the amount which original pokemon had"

^ i love this idea, keep it up ;o;!

#36 2013-01-24 04:13:26

wilso
Post 5/12

i love it when pokemon learn moves that are really unique/powerful like that random charmander u generated (Extreme Speed)
btw if u randomise the tms does that mean splash/anymove could be one of them?

#37 2013-01-24 13:16:17

Akwa
Post 72/140

wilso wrote:

if u randomise the tms does that mean splash/anymove could be one of them?

Yes, although I will make it so moves of similiar power are put in the place of original ones. For example, Screech instead of Mud slap. And moves given out by gym leaders will not be unique.

#38 2013-01-26 16:39:27

Akwa
Post 73/140

Time for another update, featuring random starter Eledile:

totodiler.png  totodile2.png  totodile3.png

pidgeyw.png  geodudeg.png  caterpie.png 

You should have read his name, don't you see Mudepod (should be Mudapod :/) is Ground type?

metapod.png  metapodthundershock.png

Here are two first TMs - TM 31 was originally Mud Slap and TM 39 was Swift.
tmsy.png

Snoran F - that's an Ice type, huh.
nidoran.png  poliwagc.png

totodileevolve.png  croconaw.png

And of course, there will be an option of disabling UPPERCASE NAMES.

Last edited by Akwa (2013-01-26 16:45:03)

#39 2013-01-26 17:19:13

tekcoR
Post 130/165

Great work with the name generation. Hoping for a real psychic-type Psyduck named "Psyduck". ;D
I loved Artemis tool and the whole randomization in general. The principle can be transfered to almost anything maybe even to small map edits or story changes in the future.

On a side note, I don't know if you have encountered the situation yet but you have to be careful with ghost-types in the beginning. Sucks if you have to attack the opponent with Normal-type attacks. And have you also considered changing the held items? I think the move Thief had always a great potential but somehow got lost.

Cya

#40 2013-01-26 23:49:36

yeth
Post 3/4

"And of course, there will be an option of disabling UPPERCASE NAMES."
You're a genius. :D

"And have you also considered changing the held items? I think the move Thief had always a great potential but somehow got lost."
also a totally awesome idea

#41 2013-01-27 01:07:30

Akwa
Post 74/140

tekcoR wrote:

Great work with the name generation. Hoping for a real psychic-type Psyduck named "Psyduck". ;D

Thanks, there actually IS a chance a Psychic Psyduck could be given that name ;)

tekcoR wrote:

The principle can be transfered to almost anything maybe even to small map edits or story changes in the future.

Map edits, hmm.. this is a GREAT idea.

tekcoR wrote:

On a side note, I don't know if you have encountered the situation yet but you have to be careful with ghost-types in the beginning. Sucks if you have to attack the opponent with Normal-type attacks.

Yeah, such thing happened to me several times, when I fought with trainer who had Ghost-typed Rattata and I had to wait till it killed me with 1 hp attacks (but it used Defense Curl instead, duhh). Then I wrote a quick code reducing the chances of Ghost and Dragon type, but due to my mistake it actually gave them extra chance - so now I am fully aware of this issue. Ghosts, steel and other 'strong' early types will be delayed until after 1st gym phase.
And by the way, Ghost-Normal combo is really annoying to fight against.

tekcoR wrote:

And have you also considered changing the held items? I think the move Thief had always a great potential but somehow got lost.

Yeah, this will be taken care of. Not a big problem to code this.

yeth wrote:

You're a genius. :D

Thanks, but that's too exaggerated :D

By the way, if anyone has some 'cool' ideas for pokemon names, feel free to contribute. It can be either based on types (Geodude -> Magmadude), best stats (Slowpoke -> Fastpoke) or totally irrevelant with these. I need a large base of prefixes and suffixes to make the names less repeatable. And except for that, anyone got ideas for names of Normal-type Pokemon?

Last edited by Akwa (2013-01-27 01:08:35)

#42 2013-01-27 02:38:45

Aionos
Post 1/4

ba dummmm tish.

Okay, here we go.

Fire type names: magma-, boil-, hot-, heat-, torch-
Normal type names: Plain-, boring-, average-, okay-,
Psychic type names: mind-, omni-, psy-,
Dark type names: rude-, evil-, dark-, snide-, harsh-,
Poison type names: barf-, nasty-, gross-, puke-, blech-,
Water type names: aqua-, liquid-, wet-, slick-, sink-, ocean-, sea-, flood-,
Steel type names: metal-, solid-, hard-, bulky-, dense-,
Rock type names: rock-, granite-, stone-, golem-, gravel-, brick-, pebble-,
Ice type names: frozen-, glacial-, cold-, fridge-, winter-,
Flying type names: float-, wing-, heli-, flap-, air-, bird-,
Fighting type names: chop-, punch-, kick-, dojo-, karate-, smash-, strong-, agile-,
Grass type names: weed-, flower-, seed-, soil-, crop-, grass-,
Ground type names: Mud-, sand-, earth-, silt-, peat-,
Dragon type names: Wyvern-, hydra-, draco-, drago-,
Bug type names: worm-, bug-, insect-, ant-, swarm-, cocoon-, arachni-, spider-,
Electric type names: Ele-, volt-, shock-, static-, blitz-,
Ghost type names: Ghoul-, ghost-, phantom-, scary-, trans-, vanish-, boo-,

Names based upon stats: Fast-, speedy-, quick-, Magic-, wizard-, tank-, bulk-, power-, tough-, weak-, Super-, ultra-, mega-, cool-,

Other names: ugly-, pretty-, snide-, mean-, nude-, naked-, manic-, bored-, weird-, odd-, neat-, boiled-, fried-, steamed-, dorky-,

feel free to add to this.

Last edited by Aionos (2013-01-27 02:59:55)

#43 2013-01-27 14:01:44

Akwa
Post 75/140

Wow thank you very much, Aionos! Many of these prefixes hadn't been on my list yet. If anyone else has any ideas, post them, the more diversity, the better.

#44 2013-01-27 14:17:24

tekcoR
Post 131/165

I'm imagining the poor Normal-types called "Averagetar" or something. :D I think the stats pefixes could be used for all the Normal-types. Or some of the prefixes of Normal-type attacks like Focus Energy, Fury Attack, Giga Impact, Lucky Chant, Mega Punch, Sweet Scent, etc.

Cya

#45 2013-01-28 02:59:07

Danny-E 33
Administrator
Post 406/1,119

#46 2013-02-02 11:50:14

FroggestSpirit
Post 79/300
Website

This is still being made, right? I'm looking forward to it :) The first time I saw this, it didn't appeal, but after trying some randomizers for other generations, I like it, mostly for the funny situations.

This isn't easy to say, but…
Music and ASM hacker

#47 2013-02-02 12:27:13

Akwa
Post 78/140

I'm having exams right now so I can't spend much time developing it. Last exam is on Monday, so if everything goes right, the progress will accelerate. The only thing I've done last few days is improving the random names system and beginning the work with trainers. There is a lot of work to do though, because this is a balanced randomizer.
You are going to experience a nice feature - more trainers with pokemon holding items.

Few screenshots to keep the candle burning. Which starter do you like the most?
charquil.png  charquil2.png  charquil3.png

luxrita.png  luxrita2.png  luxrita3.png

treedile.png  treedile2.png  treedile3.png

Last edited by Akwa (2013-02-02 12:39:16)

#48 2013-02-02 14:24:11

emaj30
Post 202/463
Website

this thing is turning out great i might say, some name outputs are rediculous! haha! i'm thinking of animal sounds as prefix like let say moo- for mootwo, ssh- for sshikorita etc. and their types would be taken from the originator of the sound like ssh- from ekans = poison, moo- from miltank = normal, but i think it's nonsensical idea since some pokemons are already resembled with animals.

#49 2013-02-02 15:36:15

Cirrhosis
Post 7/33

Not everyone will like my idea, but could you also add some profanity when naming new pokemon? As a toggle-able option, of course. Anyway, I can't wait for this to be out, it will be helluva fun to play.

#50 2013-02-02 21:54:53

yeth
Post 4/4

is there going to be any kind of beta releases?  or is it going to be released only when its done?

Board footer