Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#101 2015-06-23 06:12:51

Crystal_
Post 289/450
Website

Re: Pokemon Pyrite

Yes, only difference is the level it appears at.

#102 2015-06-23 16:57:49

zucchini
Post 1/3

Where can you catch Heracross? tried headbutting trees all over johto.

#103 2015-06-23 17:34:14

Crystal_
Post 291/450
Website

Well, you must have it registered as seen in the Pokedex, so you can check it out, can't you? :)

Also keep in mind that it may not necessarily be found in trees, you know...

Last edited by Crystal_ (2015-06-23 17:36:49)

#104 2015-06-23 18:43:15

ablahblah987
Post 27/39

I got Ho-oh. I normally think it's cheating to use legendaries but this game is so hard that I don't feel guilty. I hope I can catch Mewtwo before the end.

#105 2015-06-23 19:30:50

Crystal_
Post 292/450
Website

I got Ho-oh. I normally think it's cheating to use legendaries but this game is so hard that I don't feel guilty. I hope I can catch Mewtwo before the end.

You can indeed catch Mewtwo before the end, as well as Celebi. In fact, I bet you are past the point where you can already get Celebi.

Do you mean you got Ho-oh legitimately? Unless I'm missing something you should've caught Suicune and Entei for that which is quite hard.

Last edited by Crystal_ (2015-06-23 19:31:31)

#106 2015-06-23 20:29:01

Urnighter
Post 93/123

His Kadabra probably evolved into it.

(Sorry I had to do it)

Anyways I'll be playing this over the summer. Very impressive list of features.

Last edited by Urnighter (2015-06-23 20:29:14)

#107 2015-06-23 20:29:07

ablahblah987
Post 28/39

I did get Suicune and Entei, but I admittedly cheated with save states. I would rather enjoy my life... No idea where Celebi would be.

#108 2015-06-23 21:28:34

Sergi
Post 1/11

great hack, i've played the beta back then it was fun. tho it was frustating at times. you know the handicaps + hax can be very annoying to deal with. but the competitive enviroment felt so real!

i've only made to the 1st gym, since didn't have much time.

w.e just gonna say i caught a light ball pikachu. this monster have been destroying everything and falkner is not gonna be a exception. what are the probabilities?

also after fighting the 1st rival battle my pkmn got healed, is that suppose to happen? i think that didn't happen in originals

whatever nice job!

Last edited by Sergi (2015-06-23 21:29:20)

#109 2015-06-23 21:48:16

Crystal_
Post 295/450
Website

w.e just gonna say i caught a light ball pikachu. this monster have been destroying everything and falkner is not gonna be a exception. what are the probabilities?

I think i set the second item to 5% but I barely remember now.

also after fighting the 1st rival battle my pkmn got healed, is that suppose to happen? i think that didn't happen in originals

It does happen, in fact, you don't black out if you lose.

#110 2015-06-24 14:00:03

Akwa
Post 140/140

I barely beat the 1st gym but I already fell in love with it. This hack is amazing, it uses the original GSC story so it's perfect and it's harder than normal game!

Although I need to confess I don't like few things:

First of all, look at this pic of route 29 (the first route in our adventure) in Crystal version:
2tqANkM.png
Perfect, isn't it? There is a road, which is a visual clue helping where to go next and generally is an aesthetically pleasing piece of terrain. The placement of ledges make perfect sense, because they actually make the way shorter when going to the Cherrygrove City.

How does it look in Pyrite?
1O7rKca.png
The travel has been made longer, there are trees in the middle blocking the way, forcing us to take a longer walk! The red circles indicate just how evil these places are - they just look like their only function is to be a physical blockade for the player and serve no aesthetic purpose. The ledge serves no purpose, the road is gone and we need to go down if we want to go forward:

PunVmWz.png
It's just a one-dimensional road full of tall grass, which forces me to have few more battles...
This makes passing the areas very frustrating and makes them lose their original GSC charm. That makes me wonder, because usually the roads should be as short as possible - would such route to a town exist in real world? Why wouldn't people just cut these blocking trees down?

The other thing, trainers - they are impossible to avoid:
GQGKLhi.png
The game is again forcing me to play the way it wants me to play - I have no other options. In GSC there were often trainers standing in the middle of the roads turning around and that made the places feel more alive. Here, there's no such thing.

I hope you understand my criticism, as for me this game is awesome - the battle/challenge/Pokemon part of the game is done marvelously well, but the map design could be a bit more polished to increase the overall user experience.

Last edited by Akwa (2015-06-24 14:00:58)

#111 2015-06-24 16:32:20

Crystal_
Post 297/450
Website

First of all thanks for the constructive criticism, it's exactly what I want.

Admittedly the half ledge block doesn't look very well there and the trees do look a little patchy. I'm used to seeing the maps with a map editor and you probably don't see all the details there. The thing though, is that I wanted to force the player to run into a few grass tiles because this is about the only time people bother to beat wild Pokemon to gain experience. I think it could help against the trainers you face early on. I'll still admit that since you have to go through that route a few times, at least the return could be a little faster. I've come up with this, would you mind letting me know how does it look to you?

GG6ymcN.png

As for the trainers, it's true that the majority of them are unavoidable early on, but that's because I really want the player to battle them. The experience growth at this stage is quite high and just skipping a couple of battles can be a handicap. There are in fact, a couple of "avoidable" trainers you may have already missed (around the route 36 / ruins of alph area) and also contribute to important exp gain.
As the game progresses (second half of Johto and especially Kanto), a big percentage of the trainers will be avoidable and there are in fact many of them turning around in the middle or roads or even wide maps, but early on I especially felt the need to make most of the trainers unavoidable or otherwise I could see people complaining that the hack is way too hard.

I hope you understand my criticism, as for me this game is awesome - the battle/challenge/Pokemon part of the game is done marvelously well, but the map design could be a bit more polished to increase the overall user experience.

I'm glad you Pokemon and battling side of the hack because I put a lot of effort into it and I really appreciate hearing that. I have the feeling that the worst designed maps could be the early ones in the sense that they could be more dense or patchy, but I wanted to make sure there is some forced tall grass tiles here and there in a few routes. That also allows the player to have 2-3 forced wild battles per route to see what kind of Pokemon appear there.

I hope you keep playing and enjoying it :)

Last edited by Crystal_ (2015-06-24 16:35:09)

#112 2015-06-24 16:58:15

Sergi
Post 2/11

i had the same felt about the first route, since the lack of a shortcut to cameback felt annoying. and some routes felt like a labyrinth.

about the forced battles, i found every battle to be neccesary and every little exp is so helpful. but that cames from someone that likes to beat every trainer in the game, and i always look for the even remote ones (like the hidden ones in union cave, etc.)

i beat falkner in a clean game where pikachu ohko'ed every single of his birds xD (but lost some exp due to the badge cap...)

also i feel very lucky:
6g9hie4.png

i am about to enter the 2nd gym

also i realize that you didn't change some of the hidden items location (the one behnd the slowpoke well for example). i've found like 5 by now, but i think i missed one in route 32, unless you removed it.

Last edited by Sergi (2015-06-24 17:00:49)

#113 2015-06-24 22:37:42

Crystal_
Post 298/450
Website

and some routes felt like a labyrinth.

I assume you mean route 30? I don't think the others are bad, but maybe that's just me! In any case, I've remodeled a bit route 29 (as shown in the screen above) and route 30 in order to make the returns faster. I've reuploaded the hack for those who will download and play it in the future. I don't think you should bother downloading it again unless you're really curious about the changes, since you've already gone past these two routes anyway.

also i realize that you didn't change some of the hidden items location (the one behnd the slowpoke well for example). i've found like 5 by now, but i think i missed one in route 32, unless you removed it.

Many locations stay the same, many others change. Just like many times the item will be the same as the original and many other times it will be a different one. In general I left those that felt good unchanged. Most of the changed hidden items are probably inside caves.

Also, since I have the feeling some things could go unnoticed for a long time if I didn't say anything, I'm going to say that it's possible have access to Celebi, an unique move tutor, [a second] Exp Share, and to useful items such as Leftovers and Focus Band from a certain event, all before the 6th gym. You just need to look around some cities a bit.

Last edited by Crystal_ (2015-06-24 22:47:55)

#114 2015-06-26 20:01:07

ablahblah987
Post 29/39

Erika didn't give me the Giga Drain TM. Is that supposed to happen? Still enjoying this anyway.

#115 2015-06-28 21:35:04

djc10
Post 1/1

I am likely blind, but where is waterfall in this game? I have no idea where to find it! Thanks in advance.

#116 2015-06-29 04:55:15

zucchini
Post 2/3

Would just like to point out 2 bugs I found:
If you enter blue's gym while he's not there, you can't get out and the only option is to restart the game.

I've traded for a larvitar early on in the game, it wouldn't stop obeying me through the game, but while fighting misty it gained a level (86 I think) and started disobeying (using different moves, refusing to attack etc)

Also if I would have known her across is exclusive to kanto I would have probably have gotten a different fighting Mon...

Overall I have to say that the game is really fun, I don't remember me having this much fun with gen 2 before. Keep up the good work!

#117 2015-06-29 21:39:24

Sergi
Post 3/11

Crystal_ wrote:

I assume you mean route 30? I don't think the others are bad, but maybe that's just me! In any case, I've remodeled a bit route 29 (as shown in the screen above) and route 30 in order to make the returns faster. I've reuploaded the hack for those who will download and play it in the future. I don't think you should bother downloading it again unless you're really curious about the changes, since you've already gone past these two routes anyway.

i did mean route 32, since there wasn't a clearly path to go and some ways were cut. but i'ts alright! its only my opinion

Crystal_ wrote:

Also, since I have the feeling some things could go unnoticed for a long time if I didn't say anything, I'm going to say that it's possible have access to Celebi, an unique move tutor, [a second] Exp Share, and to useful items such as Leftovers and Focus Band from a certain event, all before the 6th gym. You just need to look around some cities a bit.

noooo! spoilers! tho you know after playing the games so much times you know exactly where to go to get the items etc so didn't paid attention to npc. gonna start checkng them all!

also since you spoiled me enough, a little bit is not gonna kill me: did you implemented some of the nypc exclusive moves like lk lax/nidos, growtheons, etc.? some of them would be interesting and a nice detail!

some update, i didn't have time to play until today, tho very little but:

got 2nd badge where my quilave burned 3 of his pokemon rofl

got 3rd badge. machoke pulled it very well, and selfdestruct geodude for girafarig, tho stomp miltank flinched me to death (did it had in the beta? idr), but my quilava was able to make the comeback, almost lost. tho i felt you made this easier, i remember it as the most difficult gym back in the beta, and remeber losing to it more than once. did you changed stuff or is just me?

in general i think i am enyoing the hack more than beta since i remember i got frustated more than once, but that is to happen yet, and i feel the competitive enviroment is very well done, like when i was in tension if a got a crit karate chop vs miltank or flinch etc.

#118 2015-06-30 18:01:00

Luigi-San
Post 128/129

djc10 wrote:

I am likely blind, but where is waterfall in this game? I have no idea where to find it! Thanks in advance.

It's in the house in front of Tohjo Falls.

#119 2015-07-01 11:43:23

Crystal_
Post 299/450
Website

Would just like to point out 2 bugs I found:
If you enter blue's gym while he's not there, you can't get out and the only option is to restart the game.
I've traded for a larvitar early on in the game, it wouldn't stop obeying me through the game, but while fighting misty it gained a level (86 I think) and started disobeying (using different moves, refusing to attack etc)

Thank you for pointing these out. They have been fixed now and the hack has been reuploaded.

also since you spoiled me enough, a little bit is not gonna kill me: did you implemented some of the nypc exclusive moves like lk lax/nidos, growtheons, etc.? some of them would be interesting and a nice detail!

NYPC exclusive moves were not added since they can't easily be obtained in the original G/S/C games. Opponents won't use them either. However, RBY TM moves can be teached.

got 3rd badge. machoke pulled it very well, and selfdestruct geodude for girafarig, tho stomp miltank flinched me to death (did it had in the beta? idr), but my quilava was able to make the comeback, almost lost. tho i felt you made this easier, i remember it as the most difficult gym back in the beta, and remeber losing to it more than once. did you changed stuff or is just me?

In general, it's slightly easier, especially at the beginning. I believe that Miltank used to have Body Slam.

#120 2015-07-02 18:58:27

zucchini
Post 3/3

Found mew, fought it, but caught it while it was transformed and now i have a ditto instead.
Accidentally saved by trying to view ditto's stats in the PC.

#121 2015-07-03 16:56:31

Crystal_
Post 302/450
Website

The mew issue was fixed in the last update. Please, check the OP to see the recent bug fixes and updates.

#122 2015-07-20 21:15:08

Sergi
Post 4/11

long time since i dont play

im boutta beat the e4

found/got all the extras except the 2nd exp share and the event that gives u useful items (unless you did mean the buenas show), so can i know where are they?

also can you get the amulet coin before the e4, im p sure you can in regular version but maybe i missed it in this one.

#123 2015-07-21 07:57:02

Crystal_
Post 305/450
Website

yep, it's the Buena's show.

You can't get amulet coin yet, but you still get far more money than in the original game anyway. With the amulet coin you'd get way too much money.

#124 2015-07-28 18:02:33

Sergi
Post 5/11

zucchini wrote:

this still happens, or at least to me and im using the latest update of the hack

nice 2nd exp share it took me a while to figure out where it is =P

#125 2015-07-29 12:22:16

Crystal_
Post 306/450
Website

Thanks for pointing it out, Sergi. It should be fixed now as the hack's been reuploaded.

Board footer