Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-01 03:13:11

RPD490
Member
From: Blackthorn City, Johto
Registered: 2012-09-29
Post 21/259
Website

Need Help Through this Barrier

I just realized how much more harder it is for me to get one script down, when I was able to do 3-4 types of scripts for FireRed. Anyway I just wanna be able to do a test script for within the Safari Zone, if you saw in another thread here, I posted a pic of a redesigned version of the unused Safari Zone and I wouldn't put anything special in it, just a place you can visit, as well as catch Pokemon in the back, kinda of like the National Park, only this one is in Kanto and is much smaller XD

Anyway if I wanna be able to get more event data to work within there, would I wanna repoint the Map Event Data to maybe the National Park's since the Safari Zone uses the tiles and block data from the National Park. Because really learning how to repoint data is pretty much the barrier thats in my way before I can get into scripting. XD

Offline

#2 2012-10-03 15:50:11

Vitharix
Member
Registered: 2011-12-29
Post 61/396

Re: Need Help Through this Barrier

There isn't really a tangible progression that one must take in regards to hacking GSC, of course, you probably won't want to dive into assembly without at least a solid understanding of hex editing within the game engine. But that said, you shouldn't worry too much about going in heirarchical fashion once you have that basic understanding of hex. If it's scripting your wanting to learn about, dive in, because you can learn by doing and you will be using it in your hack and experimenting with it. This is purely subjective, of course. People learn in different ways.

Also, have you checked out Miksy's tutorials? They helped me immensely. I should also note that it took me quite a bit of reading up on other tutorials to get immersed in it before the information he presented became clear as day. For me, the terminology was what kept me from getting it for the longest time. For example, how many different ways you can specify an offset in hex (correctly or otherwise) "x", "0x", "$", "&h" etc.

Last edited by Vitharix (2012-10-03 15:52:48)

Offline

#3 2012-10-06 17:10:51

RPD490
Member
From: Blackthorn City, Johto
Registered: 2012-09-29
Post 33/259
Website

Re: Need Help Through this Barrier

Okay I think the reason why this has been so confusing was because I been using Johtomap with PKSV and learning how the offsets aren't exactly the offsets that aren't shown to what they are suppose to be. That is prolly why I am so damn confused on this half the time. I just wish that Goldmap could be able work with PKSV

Offline

#4 2012-10-06 17:39:03

Vitharix
Member
Registered: 2011-12-29
Post 62/396

Re: Need Help Through this Barrier

RPD490 wrote:

Okay I think the reason why this has been so confusing was because I been using Johtomap with PKSV and learning how the offsets aren't exactly the offsets that aren't shown to what they are suppose to be. That is prolly why I am so damn confused on this half the time. I just wish that Goldmap could be able work with PKSV

what do you mean "how the offsets aren't exactly the offsets that aren't shown"? did you download a pre-bug fix release of Johtomap? Or are you referring to pointers?

Offline

#5 2012-10-06 17:51:12

RPD490
Member
From: Blackthorn City, Johto
Registered: 2012-09-29
Post 34/259
Website

Re: Need Help Through this Barrier

A: I think the pointers?

B: There was a pre-bug fix release? owo

Offline

#6 2012-10-06 18:08:52

Vitharix
Member
Registered: 2011-12-29
Post 63/396

Re: Need Help Through this Barrier

RPD490 wrote:

A: I think the pointers?

I will make a guess: you are talking about how the pointers, when editing events in Johtomap, are backwards, and the solution is that you must flip the two bytes in order to correctly find the offset from them? Try using Goldmap for event data. (At least to find data locations; if I remember correctly it will show the offset at which the event is found.)

B: There was a pre-bug fix release? owo

I don't know, but probably. Just as there is Goldmap 1.6 and 1.7 (and possibly earlier releases as well), I'm guessing there is another version of Johtomap without some bugfixes. You can determine this if you read through the JohtoMap thread.

Last edited by Vitharix (2012-10-06 18:10:45)

Offline

#7 2012-10-06 18:37:46

Miksy91
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 1,141/2,311

Re: Need Help Through this Barrier

vitharix wrote:

I will make a guess: you are talking about how the pointers, when editing events in Johtomap, are backwards, and the solution is that you must flip the two bytes in order to correctly find the offset from them? Try using Goldmap for event data. (At least to find data locations; if I remember correctly it will show the offset at which the event is found.)

Personally, I think Johtomap shows the stuff better than Goldmap does. Trying to remember the Secondary Header structure by heart isn't that hard: [Border Block] [Y size] [X size] [Map data pointer (3 bytes] [Rom bank of SH & ET] [Script header pointer (2 bytes)] [Event data pointer (2 bytes)] [Map connection data...]

If you wanted to repoint the event data for instance, you'd just go to the offset where event data is, copy --> paste it to another rom location and change the event data pointer accordingly to that offset afterwards.

Just as there is Goldmap 1.6 and 1.7 (and possibly earlier releases as well), I'm guessing there is another version of Johtomap without some bugfixes. You can determine this if you read through the JohtoMap thread.

I never had version 1.01 myself so I can't say whether three different versions existed but I do have 1.00 and 1.02 (most up to date) version on my pc. I don't think you're able to find the older releases that easily, if at all anymore. And 1.00 did "f*** up events" like some tended to say."

Last edited by Miksy91 (2012-10-06 18:38:22)

Offline

#8 2012-10-06 18:53:19

RPD490
Member
From: Blackthorn City, Johto
Registered: 2012-09-29
Post 35/259
Website

Re: Need Help Through this Barrier

Well I do have V1.02 of Johtomap so there is that.

Offline

#9 2012-10-06 20:28:40

Vitharix
Member
Registered: 2011-12-29
Post 64/396

Re: Need Help Through this Barrier

Miksy91 wrote:

Personally, I think Johtomap shows the stuff better than Goldmap does. Trying to remember the Secondary Header structure by heart isn't that hard: [Border Block] [Y size] [X size] [Map data pointer (3 bytes] [Rom bank of SH & ET] [Script header pointer (2 bytes)] [Event data pointer (2 bytes)] [Map connection data...]

You know, I could be remembering wrong. As I've not used a computer in over 2 weeks and done any hacking for longer, the knowledge of specifics might be starting to leave me. Maybe I should refrain from answering questions for a while... It does help to keep it fresh in my mind though. So my apologies if my helping has been doing just the opposite! (Of course there are certain things that you never forget, but things like this I might not be of much actual assistance)

Offline

#10 2012-10-06 20:53:07

Miksy91
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 1,145/2,311

Re: Need Help Through this Barrier

Vitharix wrote:

You know, I could be remembering wrong. As I've not used a computer in over 2 weeks and done any hacking for longer, the knowledge of specifics might be starting to leave me. Maybe I should refrain from answering questions for a while... It does help to keep it fresh in my mind though. So my apologies if my helping has been doing just the opposite! (Of course there are certain things that you never forget, but things like this I might not be of much actual assistance)

I've also seen this happen last year when I was in military. Couldn't even hack more than once in a week and sometimes not even that often. And after all the time I could have spend on hacking and learning, I obviously didn't because I had lot more important things in life to think about back then.
Don't worry about answering questions though, keeps your mind focused on how stuff works you need to know about.

Last edited by Miksy91 (2012-10-06 20:53:52)

Offline

#11 2012-10-07 09:52:24

Vitharix
Member
Registered: 2011-12-29
Post 80/396

Re: Need Help Through this Barrier

Miksy91 wrote:

I've also seen this happen last year when I was in military. Couldn't even hack more than once in a week and sometimes not even that often. And after all the time I could have spend on hacking and learning, I obviously didn't because I had lot more important things in life to think about back then.
Don't worry about answering questions though, keeps your mind focused on how stuff works you need to know about.

Right, it's a bit difficult. At least I'm not going through basic training or something like that! It's only about 3 1/2 more weeks before I can hack again. Its tough because I really thought I was finally making some good headway into GS hacking, progressing further than just basic hex. I was really starting to understand things. But it's good to be here as I've been accumulating ideas for a new hack. Also it's good because I now know what is within my skill level to accomplish, and if something isn't, I can read about related subjects on here or PC. I've a big list of ideas that have been inspired by various aspects of my journey and it's exciting to know that I have something to work towards when I can resume.

Last edited by Vitharix (2012-10-07 09:54:58)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB