Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#501 2017-06-23 14:17:06

rbroab
Post 18/89

Re: Devamp/Custom Graphics Thread

@Bronzeswagger, I really like your Spiritomb sprite actually. How you handled the Keystone is way better than my approach.
Hope you get a back sprite for it soon! I'm trying to work on mine. It's a bit small. Don't like how you're able to see all of it.
I'd rather only see the top portion with maybe slight keystone.

Also, what Palett is that?

#502 2017-06-23 14:25:40

Rangi
Post 731/908

Bronzeswagger wrote:

These are my trainers so far, some were HG/SS Sprites, others, like Lance (gave some dithering), are recolors.
The girl on the 4th row is my heroine for my upcoming hack, I just haven't done my hero yet, but let me know how the heroine looks, she's free to use
There's one empty spot for the hero, and a empty spot for the Yellow girl character or someone else as a replacement Gym Leader for Janine.

I have a Pryce & Koga, but they may be treated as "dead" in my hack". Bruno is older as well, and I may remove Blaine, I'm not sure yet cuz Idk a good Fire user that came from Kanto.

Btw, I'm aware of Falkner and his leg dimension problem, I just had no idea on how to go about his leg, so I just treated it like a standing foot instead. If anyone else wants to try to help there, be my guest.

Also, here's some randoms I'll add to my Sprite sheet later on.

Karen using her default colors in GSC, I may do a manga/HGSS colored version later unless anyone else wants to attempt it.

Recolored Male grunt plus HG/SS Female Grunt, I prefered these colors better over the originals. Plus the dithering helped with the female immensely.

Here's Pryce for those still using him

Hated Mediums and 3rd Gen Hex Maniacs, so I'm going the Channeler route, although I would appreciate a 6th Gen Hex Maniac over this.

Other Random Trainers & Recolors

Nice work! I'd say they're comparable to solo993's HG/SS Gym Leaders and B/W trainers.

The Pokémon look excellent, but some of the trainers have weird proportions, like Karen and Misty. Also, when a crouching trainer takes up the whole 56x56 area, they look overly large since you can imagine them standing up and taking even more space.

I like the Team Rocket palette edits; may I use those? Although I prefer the Grunt♀ without dithering:

162XgNg.png

#503 2017-06-23 14:40:46

Bronzeswagger
Post 4/23

Rangi wrote:

Nice work! I'd say they're comparable to solo993's HG/SS Gym Leaders and B/W trainers.

The Pokémon look excellent, but some of the trainers have weird proportions, like Karen and Misty. Also, when a crouching trainer takes up the whole 56x56 area, they look overly large since you can imagine them standing up and taking even more space.

I like the Team Rocket palette edits; may I use those? Although I prefer the Grunt♀ without dithering:

https://i.imgur.com/162XgNg.png

All of my Sprites are free for anyone to use, so go ahead, I don't mind the dithering left out either.
Thank you for the critique as well, I know I'm not entirely perfect with them, I always appreciate other's edits to them to see what and how I can do them better.

And yes, some of them are based off his or others works, I normally just try to copy the outlines though and go from there.

rbroab wrote:

@Bronzeswagger, I really like your Spiritomb sprite actually. How you handled the Keystone is way better than my approach.
Hope you get a back sprite for it soon! I'm trying to work on mine. It's a bit small. Don't like how you're able to see all of it.
I'd rather only see the top portion with maybe slight keystone.
Also, what Palett is that?

I just used a standard 4 color palette of light purple and dark(ish) green as my two colors and black/white as the other standards. I can probably have a Spiritomb back sprite done by tomorrow with my other things, My only real issue is going to be the back sprite of Darkrai.

#504 2017-06-24 00:25:31

JaceDeane
Post 17/29

Bronzeswagger wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/xKMujjE.png

These are my trainers so far, some were HG/SS Sprites, others, like Lance (gave some dithering), are recolors.
The girl on the 4th row is my heroine for my upcoming hack, I just haven't done my hero yet, but let me know how the heroine looks, she's free to use
There's one empty spot for the hero, and a empty spot for the Yellow girl character or someone else as a replacement Gym Leader for Janine.

I have a Pryce & Koga, but they may be treated as "dead" in my hack". Bruno is older as well, and I may remove Blaine, I'm not sure yet cuz Idk a good Fire user that came from Kanto.

Btw, I'm aware of Falkner and his leg dimension problem, I just had no idea on how to go about his leg, so I just treated it like a standing foot instead. If anyone else wants to try to help there, be my guest.

Also, here's some randoms I'll add to my Sprite sheet later on.

http://i.imgur.com/uEj4DVw.png
Karen using her default colors in GSC, I may do a manga/HGSS colored version later unless anyone else wants to attempt it.

http://i.imgur.com/o0JvWuU.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/uxlckUy.png
Recolored Male grunt plus HG/SS Female Grunt, I prefered these colors better over the originals. Plus the dithering helped with the female immensely.

http://i.imgur.com/62mTdmN.png
Here's Pryce for those still using him

http://i.imgur.com/xqmcTvx.png
Hated Mediums and 3rd Gen Hex Maniacs, so I'm going the Channeler route, although I would appreciate a 6th Gen Hex Maniac over this.

http://i.imgur.com/Ejhui8F.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/uQThWZd.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/74B1mNN.png
http://i.imgur.com/fAD0CR8.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/8Nmz0wf.png
Other Random Trainers & Recolors

I was hoping to see due credit for the Lorelei sprite at some point in this post, but unfortunately not.
Not trying to start anything as it was free-use, but if you use my sprites, I do ask that you credit me.

#505 2017-06-24 04:46:58

rbroab
Post 19/89

Bronzeswagger wrote:

I just used a standard 4 color palette of light purple and dark(ish) green as my two colors and black/white as the other standards. I can probably have a Spiritomb back sprite done by tomorrow with my other things, My only real issue is going to be the back sprite of Darkrai.

Sounds awesome, I'd love to see it!
Also, I meant more along the lines of a palette to use in game. RGB numbers?
I only ask because;
1, it's an amazing color scheme for Spiritomb
2, the palette used in my sprite doesn't work for the Gameboy 16bit color palette...unfortunately I had to make edits

#506 2017-06-24 14:22:55

Bronzeswagger
Post 5/23

JaceDeane wrote:

I was hoping to see due credit for the Lorelei sprite at some point in this post, but unfortunately not.
Not trying to start anything as it was free-use, but if you use my sprites, I do ask that you credit me.

Not at all, I apologize because it is yours and I should've stated that more clearly, I had just placed it there as I was intending to use it. As a reference to anyone reading this, I'll probably use others from here and place on the sprite sheet. The trainer sprite sheet itself is not going to be a sheet of completely filled in sprites I made or recolored as I don't have a lot of spare time to do every trainer sprite. Some are mainly on the sheet because I plan to use them. With permission of course and credit where its due. Lorelei as such being one of those sprites.

The rest of them I did however outline them from a base and worked on them myself other than the original GSC sprites and Erika's RBY Sprite.

Again, I apologize for confusion.

#507 2017-06-24 14:33:30

Bronzeswagger
Post 6/23

rbroab wrote:
Bronzeswagger wrote:

Sounds awesome, I'd love to see it!
Also, I meant more along the lines of a palette to use in game. RGB numbers?
I only ask because;
1, it's an amazing color scheme for Spiritomb
2, the palette used in my sprite doesn't work for the Gameboy 16bit color palette...unfortunately I had to make edits

Oh! I apologize

Here ya go:
HaVfy8N.jpgInReQdB.jpg

#508 2017-06-24 15:33:34

rbroab
Post 21/89

@Bronzeswagger, Awesome, thanks! Looking forward to seeing that backsprite. Hope you get the time soon!

#509 2017-06-24 16:02:07

Bronzeswagger
Post 7/23

I'm going to delete the Trainer Spritesheet for the time being until I reupload with the correct credits given. As I wasn't thinking about Lorelei when I stated those all were mine. That way people won't get confused.
I'll reupload later though with proper credits

#510 2017-06-24 18:19:01

Bronzeswagger
Post 8/23

KPOdbH1.png
Was harder than it looks, I orginally had it without the shading in the middle, but it looked blank/bland without it.
The keystone was also a bigger challenge

#511 2017-06-24 19:21:31

rbroab
Post 23/89

Looks fantastic! Great work! Unfortunately I couldn't get your same color purple into the game. The 16bit color of the Gameboy couldn't handle it. So I swapped it with the purple from the shiny Aerodactyl palette. Still looks amazing!

If you find yourself with any free time, I'd love to see what you could do with Rotom!

#512 2017-06-24 20:06:10

Bronzeswagger
Post 9/23

@rbroab Send me a Shiny Aerodactlyl sprite and I'll recolor it as well. After investigating, I just realized the problem was that my files were saved into 24bit. I may have to change all of my sprites if that's case, but I may be wrong

EDIT: Did Spiritomb's green I chose work though?

Last edited by Bronzeswagger (2017-06-24 20:07:12)

#513 2017-06-24 20:19:17

rbroab
Post 25/89

@Brozeswagger The green worked perfectly, and here's how Aerodactyl's purple came out. Let me know if you find a better palette!

Also it should be noted that I moved your Spiritomb up by one pixel, just because the Key Stone base was resting on Pokemon names and I'm really OCD

mmPRyXO.png

#514 2017-06-24 20:31:10

Bronzeswagger
Post 10/23

That's good then, I just hope not all of my sprites are faulty because they were saved that way. I do all of my Sprites on a really old computer and then transfer them to my laptop. And apparently my old computer can only go to and save in 24 bit. :/

#515 2017-06-25 01:27:42

JaceDeane
Post 18/29

Bronzeswagger, that's entirely okay haha. Glad it could be settled easily, great work with the other sprites though!

#516 2017-06-26 14:45:26

rbroab
Post 35/89

Could someone make a better looking Rotom backsprite for me?
Maybe something that doesn't show his entire body

Q10Hfxi.png

#517 2017-06-26 15:29:56

Ammako
Post 91/158

56x56, does that work? Or do you need to keep it 48x48 (using same colors as the one you posted, but I guess you can tweak those if they don't work out)
Can probably easily be resized to 48x48 and cleaned up if needed.

79bd2db317.png

Last edited by Ammako (2017-06-26 15:32:07)

#518 2017-06-26 15:35:20

rbroab
Post 37/89

Ammako wrote:

56x56, does that work? Or do you need to keep it 48x48 (using same colors as the one you posted, but I guess you can tweak those if they don't work out)
Can probably easily be resized to 48x48 and cleaned up if needed.

Looks great! Colors don't matter so much, simply because I already have his in-game palette.
Not sure how backsprites work. I was under the impression they had to be 48x48
If you could do that, I'd love you forever

#519 2017-06-26 19:35:57

Ammako
Post 92/158

Oh it's possible they may have had to be 48x48, I was going off the sprite sizes I found on bulbapedia and for some reason they had them saved as 56x56 there. My mistake.

Or0i7mt.png

This is basically just the backsprite from D/P, pasted into GIMP, scaled from 80x80 to 56x56 and then to 48x48 with Interpolation set to "None". It needed a little bit of touching up since this obviously doesn't perfectly resize everything when downscaling but I think I did *okay*. Might still be room for improvement since most others here are better at this than I am lol.

Last edited by Ammako (2017-06-26 19:38:46)

#520 2017-06-26 19:47:33

rbroab
Post 39/89

@Ammako, it's perfect! Thanks for the help!

#521 2017-06-27 19:43:35

Bronzeswagger
Post 14/23

Just wanted to bring this up, as I'll probably be working on Sprites again tonight.
Is there any Pokemon or Trainer requests?
I can do fronts and backs for Pokemon, but just fronts for Trainers right now.

#522 2017-07-07 16:16:36

Rangi
Post 752/908

More hacks have their own Discord servers now, so these Unown emoji might be useful:

http://imgur.com/a/u0SxI/layout/grid

They have white-to-transparent borders so they show up even on dark backgrounds.

Last edited by Rangi (2017-07-07 16:20:59)

#523 2017-07-09 19:01:32

Rangi
Post 765/908

Can someone please sprite Kukui as a trainer from when he challenged the Indigo League? I'd like him to still have an open shirt, but be based on some generation's Cooltrainer/Ace Trainer.

Last edited by Rangi (2017-07-09 19:05:33)

#524 2017-07-09 23:05:22

Constantine
Post 1/5

It's been years since I've tried to sprite something (and that was for Gens 4/5), but I needed GSC devamped Dawn OWs, and couldn't seem to find any, so here's my attempt:

ZpKqBGs.png

EDIT: Retouched it a bit after some constructive comments.

Last edited by Constantine (2017-07-10 16:07:35)

#525 2017-07-10 04:04:58

JaceDeane
Post 20/29

Rangi wrote:

Can someone please sprite Kukui as a trainer from when he challenged the Indigo League? I'd like him to still have an open shirt, but be based on some generation's Cooltrainer/Ace Trainer.

Hrm, I think I misread what you were asking, but didn't realise until after.. I did Kukui as a trainer, just not explicitly based on any Ace Trainers.
But here it is anyway:

Board footer