’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#51 2012-10-26 10:30:19

Danny-E 33
Administrator
Post 211/1,119

Re: Red hack: Pokémon Prototype

Thanks guys! Your words mean alot! :)
I've been workin' pretty hard on this, but I wouldn't say I'm close to a release quite yet.
It'll just take time. :)

#52 2012-10-26 15:11:36

Mateo
Post 1,769/3,578

Those look great! I'm with Miksy in that something seems a little off about the Tamer's eye, but other than that things look pretty good. Am I right in that you combined the Gold and FireRed Ace Trainer Female sprites? Looks good.

I know in Pokemon Christmas I just used the FireRed sprite as she was, because it always bothered me that they used a sprite with a ponytail on the overworld, but didn't have one in battle. The same goes for the female Rockets- The overworld matched the Fire Red sprite, but the battle sprite was Cassidy from the anime wearing Jessie's uniform.

Speaking of those, do you plan on adding new trainer classes at all? I know Red has one unused class (Chief).

#53 2012-10-26 16:54:46

Danny-E 33
Administrator
Post 212/1,119

I infact did notice that PixelEye did a bit of a mix of the Fire Red and Gold sprite. I actually really like the way it turned out. I'm not a fan of the goofy ponytail from Fire Red or the awful pose from Gold. So I think it was a very good mix. :)

Since this is a Red hack, I don't have to worry about female Rocket issue. ;)

Actually, there are potentially three unused trainer classes, so long as they are taken advantage of correctly.
The Chief, as you mentioned, has no sprite or predefined parties. As long as you assign a sprite and a party correctly, Chief is a useable class. I do intend on adding him in my hack. (here's a hint on how I plan to including him)

There are also two Juggler classes. As long as you make sure all existing Jugglers are reading from the same class' data, you can insert a sprite for the duplicate Juggler (since both Jugglers are reading from the same sprite rather than the same sprite put in the game twice) and customize the parties.

Also, Oak's party data is never read. So if you move Oak's sprite and manage to have the sprite load correctly during the intro (I think the only time Oak's sprite ever appears), then you can replace trainer Oak's sprite and party data with a new class.

I don't have any plans set in stone for the second two. But I have a pretty good idea for one of them, but that's gonna have to stay a secret for now. ;)

And I don't know how to correctly add trainer classes after F7, but I think it would be worth looking into.

P.S. I tried fixing up Tamer's right eye a little more. Does it look any better? Cause I don't think it's gonna get any better than this. :P

Also, I revamped the Yellow hero sprite based, in part, off of RPD490's Yellow hero revamp.
herob.png
Do you like it?

Last edited by Danny-E 33 (2012-10-26 17:18:11)

#54 2012-10-26 21:00:48

RPD490
Post 124/260
Website

Oh Dude thats pretty awesome XD Glad you based it off my Red Revamp ^^

#56 2012-10-26 23:39:33

RPD490
Post 127/260
Website

So I guess its a devamped revamped Yellow Red Sprite XD

#57 2012-10-26 23:42:46

Mateo
Post 1,776/3,578

RPD490 wrote:

356wcq.jpg

#58 2012-10-26 23:45:58

RPD490
Post 128/260
Website

Mateo wrote:
RPD490 wrote:

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/9118/356wcq.jpg

HA! XD

#59 2012-10-26 23:49:48

Danny-E 33
Administrator
Post 215/1,119

Hahaha! Second best movie of all time! (second only to Ferris Bueller's Day Off, of course)

#60 2012-10-26 23:55:44

Mateo
Post 1,777/3,578

Danny-E 33 wrote:

Hahaha! Second best movie of all time! (second only to Ferris Bueller's Day Off, of course)

Both of those are excellent movies. I still have Ferris Bueller's Day Off on VHS. Also, sorry, I think I started derailing this thread a bit haha.

#61 2012-10-26 23:59:59

Danny-E 33
Administrator
Post 216/1,119

It's all good! :P

Also, I updated the Yellow/Green recolors sheet. It includes a nicer recolor of the Yellow sprite for Haunter and Gengar and now excludes Gastly and Scyther, as I will now be switching to the Crystal sprite for Gastly and the Gold sprite for Scyther.

#62 2012-10-27 03:52:22

Mateo
Post 1,781/3,578

A few more sprites I made for SaR that might be useful to you:

57705789.png
Prof Oak

53408246.png
Brock

33002351.png
Nidoran Male

20720102.png
Nidorino

20290347.png
Nidoking

51447388.png
Nidoran Female

57713192.png
Nidoqueen

I didn't do Nidorina, because her Red/Blue sprite was ugly, but I thought these might be of use. Oak and Brock recoloured the body and copied the face from Gold, while the Pokemon kept the same pose and were completely recoloured to be in Gold/Silver style of shading.

#63 2012-10-27 13:56:24

Danny-E 33
Administrator
Post 217/1,119

I'm fine with just using the GSC sprites :P
My problem with gen 1 trainers is the old style of legs and feet. And that's what I like so much about gen 2 trainers. They just did way better on the feet.
And those Pokemon sprites don't really look all that different from the GSC sprites. The only one that looks significantly different is female Nidoran, and I never liked that original sprite. :P

It's nothing personal, it's my OCD more than anything. I couldn't use all GSC sprites and then have just a few random RB sprites that do look good, sure. But so do the GSC sprites, so I can't justify messing up the pattern. The few Yellow sprites I am using I feel I can justify messing up the GSC trend because I strongly dislike the gen 2 sprites... :P

Sorry if that made no sense.. :P

(on a side note, that was what bothered me the most about Brown. In case you didn't notice, there was no pattern or order to the sprites he used. It just seemed to be a random mix of sprites from RG/RB/Y/G/S/C...)

Last edited by Danny-E 33 (2012-10-27 13:57:24)

#64 2012-10-27 16:46:20

Mateo
Post 1,782/3,578

Oh yeah, that's cool. I just figured I'd offer them anyway.

#65 2012-11-19 02:41:49

Mewthree123
Post 88/101

Where is mewtwo sprites :) ? I want to see the new sprites of it.

Mewthree123: worst pocket monster in the world.
Có ai người Việt Nam không

#66 2012-11-19 03:04:00

Mewthree123
Post 89/101

The aim of this hack is find mewtwo right? But why we have to fight elite four? I think you have to fight them to get more clue like you said but i dont like it. After get all clue about mewtwo from gym leaders, but we dont have enough power to beat him so we fight we E.F to get legendary mew. It just my idea, the choice is belong to you :D

Mewthree123: worst pocket monster in the world.
Có ai người Việt Nam không

#67 2012-11-20 16:43:46

Danny-E 33
Administrator
Post 266/1,119

Mewthree123 wrote:

Where is mewtwo sprites :) ? I want to see the new sprites of it.

Take a look at the title screen. That is the crystal sprite for Mewtwo. Much better than the goofy RB or Y sprite!

Mewthree123 wrote:

The aim of this hack is find mewtwo right? But why we have to fight elite four? I think you have to fight them to get more clue like you said but i dont like it. After get all clue about mewtwo from gym leaders, but we dont have enough power to beat him so we fight we E.F to get legendary mew. It just my idea, the choice is belong to you :D

Well yes, you fight through the gym leaders in order to find someone who may know about Mewtwo's whereabouts.

But it's not that simple with the Elite Four. You have a seperate motive for battling the Elite Four that is an important component and the climax of the storyline, but I can't give it away! :P

I agree, if you were fighting the Elite Four just for the sake of trying to find clues about where Mewtwo is, that would sound pretty lame. I spent quite a while thinking of a good way to include the Elite Four without seeming totally random or too unrelated to your main quest of tracking down Mewtwo. And I'm very satisfied with the twists I've come up with for both Team Rocket and the Elite Four. I've worked out most of the logistics for how the story will unfold and I'm very excited to get going on mapping, scripting, and text editing! :D
Perhaps I will work on a little something to better showcase the deep storyline...

P.S. From now on, if you make a post but then you have another question and noone has responded to your first post yet and it hasn't even been a half hour since your first post, please just use the edit button. It's there for a reason.

Last edited by Danny-E 33 (2012-11-21 01:10:27)

#68 2012-12-18 18:06:01

break
Post 11/65
Website

wow friend, excellent progress  ^_^"

* i have been silently watching your progress *

when you have some free time...i would love to learn the methods you have used to hack the battle sprites and such !! 

* keep up the great work *

#69 2012-12-20 06:25:46

Danny-E 33
Administrator
Post 297/1,119

If you dig around in the Help/Question forum, you should find several threads where Sawakita, stag019 and myself have explained pretty much all the ASM hacks to the game engine that I have implemented in my game.

#70 2012-12-22 18:11:31

Danny-E 33
Administrator
Post 301/1,119

#71 2012-12-26 23:08:13

SatoMew
Post 10/11

This mod seems promising and I'm looking forward to play it. But you could you replace some sprites with their original Japanese equivalents, OP? Like the Beauty sprite. And SonicBoom could get its Japanese Gold/Silver/Crystal animation as well. I'm saying this because it seems you're adding Generation II graphics or am I looking at it incorrectly? Some Trainer classes could also be changed, such as Jr. Trainers become Campers if male or Picnickers if female, like in Gold/Silver/Crystal.

EDIT: I also looked at your Red sprite on the previous page but could you actually use Red's Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal sprite for that effect instead? His sprite in Red/Green/Blue is wrong because it doesn't follow Red's artwork of the time. Game Freak fixed it in Yellow. Same thing with Blue's sprite.

Last edited by SatoMew (2012-12-26 23:13:54)

#72 2012-12-27 00:54:12

Munchulax
Post 216/410

SatoMew wrote:

This mod seems promising and I'm looking forward to play it. But you could you replace some sprites with their original Japanese equivalents, OP? Like the Beauty sprite. And SonicBoom could get its Japanese Gold/Silver/Crystal animation as well.

It would be a little hard for him to port the Japanese G/S/C SonicBoom animation to his game since it's a Pokemon Red hack.

Last edited by Munchulax (2012-12-27 00:54:47)

“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” ― Oscar Wilde

#73 2012-12-27 15:43:13

SatoMew
Post 11/11

Munchulax wrote:

It would be a little hard for him to port the Japanese G/S/C SonicBoom animation to his game since it's a Pokemon Red hack.

Well, he seems to be changing the graphics to Generation II's so that's why I suggested it.

I believe you could also leave CAPS in certain text like in the battle HUD for the words "FIGHT", "ITEM" and "RUN" since the Generation V games still use CAPS for that, if I'm not mistaken. "ITEM" could also be replaced with "BAG".

About the Pokémon sprites, why not use Crystal's palettes? After all, Game Freak fixed most of the sprites from Gold/Silver in Crystal and many Pokémon had their sprite palettes changed (Aerodactyl and Sneasel come to mind right now).

#74 2012-12-27 19:32:57

MetalKnick
Post 1/19

Spr_2c_157.gifCrystal
Spr_2s_157.pngSilver
Just for comparison. Yeah, I think crystal's palettes should be used too. And sprites.

Also about the battle options, I think PACK always sounded cool.

Last edited by MetalKnick (2012-12-27 19:34:42)

#75 2012-12-29 20:24:11

Danny-E 33
Administrator
Post 309/1,119

SatoMew wrote:

This mod seems promising and I'm looking forward to play it. But you could you replace some sprites with their original Japanese equivalents, OP? Like the Beauty sprite.

Is this what you are refering to? While I do plan on using the original Japanese sprites instead of the US releases, that doesn't apply to many sprites. This hack does not include any new Pokemon or gen II trainer types so most of the edited sprites that were different in the Japanese versions don't apply to my hack. My hack will include the original Japanese sprite for the Beauty, the Fisherman, and the gold sprite for Jynx. I will not include the silver sprite for Slowpoke (since I'm using the gold sprite for Slowpoke anyway, which was not edited) or the old backsprite for Pinsir. Unfortunately, most of the edited sprites were of gen II pokemon or gen II trainer types.

SatoMew wrote:

And SonicBoom could get its Japanese Gold/Silver/Crystal animation as well. I'm saying this because it seems you're adding Generation II graphics or am I looking at it incorrectly?

That definitely sounds like a good idea. It will be a lower priority, but yes, I hope to improve attack animations to match the quality of the rest of the improved graphics.

SatoMew wrote:

Some Trainer classes could also be changed, such as Jr. Trainers become Campers if male or Picnickers if female, like in Gold/Silver/Crystal.

Hmm, that's something I've never considered, but it sounds like a good idea. I'll think about it a bit longer, but I think I'll do that. :) Thanks for the suggestion.

SatoMew wrote:

EDIT: I also looked at your Red sprite on the previous page but could you actually use Red's Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal sprite for that effect instead? His sprite in Red/Green/Blue is wrong because it doesn't follow Red's artwork of the time. Game Freak fixed it in Yellow. Same thing with Blue's sprite.

Umm, I think I rather use my/RPD490's custom Red sprite. There were too many things about the original sprite that I didn't like. Like the shading, the hat, the pants. This sprite is much better.

SatoMew wrote:
Munchulax wrote:

Well, he seems to be changing the graphics to Generation II's so that's why I suggested it.

Yeah, it'll be a while til I look into this, but we'll see how it turns out. :P

SatoMew wrote:

I believe you could also leave CAPS in certain text like in the battle HUD for the words "FIGHT", "ITEM" and "RUN" since the Generation V games still use CAPS for that, if I'm not mistaken. "ITEM" could also be replaced with "BAG".

Hmm, I don't know about that. I'll still consider it, but I really don't think I'll be adding any CAPS back in...

SatoMew wrote:

About the Pokémon sprites, why not use Crystal's palettes? After all, Game Freak fixed most of the sprites from Gold/Silver in Crystal and many Pokémon had their sprite palettes changed (Aerodactyl and Sneasel come to mind right now).

I've stated before that the sprites used are a mix of sprites from Gold Silver and Crystal. The sprites that I'm using are based on what I thought was the best sprite between Gold Silver and Crystal. A great majority of the sprites are from Crystal and then a good amount are from Gold and only a few are from Silver (I have a list of exactly which game each sprite came from, if anyone's interested). The palette that a sprite is using comes from the same game that the sprite came from (obviously). And there are a handful from Yellow and one sprite from the Japanese R/G, except their palettes came from their Crystal's sprite. It is also clearly displayed on the first post that there are a few sprites from GSC that I've edited the palette just because I can't stand the GSC palettes. Such as the Bulbasaur family, the Machop family, and Ditto. Besides those, most of the palletes are from Crystal. If not, they are from Gold/Silver because they are better than the Crystal palette, in my opinion. Even though there are not many of those.
It should also be kept in mind that there was not enough room in bank 1C to give every single Pokemon their own palette. There was only enough free space in bank 1C for 0x8C (140) palettes. Minus the 0x25 (37) palettes already used, I only had 0x67 (103) palette entries to use between all 151 Pokemon and 47 trainer types. The 151 Pokemon were reduced to having 0x55 (85) palettes to share and the 47 trainer types use 0x12 (18) different palettes. So even if I got a sprites palette from Crystal or Gold\Silver, most palettes are a bit modified to fit several Pokemon. The differences really aren't noticeable, though. I can post a list of what Pokemon/trainers share palettes also, if anyone is interested.
Although, Sneasel's example is irrelevant, since this is a Red hack and does not have any gen II Pokemon...

MetalKnick wrote:

Spr_2c_157.gifCrystal
Spr_2s_157.pngSilver
Just for comparison. Yeah, I think crystal's palettes should be used too. And sprites.

Well, this is one example where the palette update in Crystal looks nicer. But there are certainly a few sprites in which the palette looks better from Gold/Silver. You guys shouldn't treat it like a question of whether or not to use Crystal's palettes. It's not so black and white. I'll use whichever sprite and palette looks best in my opinion. It just so happens that the majority of them are from Crystal. And again, your example is irrelevant. There are no gen II Pokemon in my hack, even though that example has a better palette in Crystal.

MetalKnick wrote:

Also about the battle options, I think PACK always sounded cool.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I'm considering changing it to "Pack", although it will not be all CAPS.

Board footer