Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-12 08:59:35

Melash
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 85/132

Pokemon Chrome

Hack of: Pokemon Gold
Hack Name: Pokemon Chrome

Introduction:
Hello, my name is Melash. I started ROM hacking back in 2008. I then left ROM hacking sometime between 2009 and 2010 for personal reasons. However, I’ve recently came across my Pokemon ROMs and I couldn’t help but jump right back into the scene. I’ve worked on this hack for several weeks prior to the release of this thread, and I almost have a fully functional Demo ready for release.

Storyline:
This game’s storyline will be quite unique, not your average staple Pokemon game. You start off in the region of Kalou, a mountainous island filled region. You live on the peak of a Mt.Lagna, an isolated spot with only two houses, your’s and a failed Pokemon Professor who lives in an abandoned disapproved Pokemon Gym. Despite it being your birthday, your overprotective mother forbids you from owning a Pokemon. That day you run an errand for the Pokemon Professor, traveling to a nearby city down the mountain. You borrow a Pokemon for your safety, only your’s to keep until you return home. However, a series of events may befall you that day that will prevent you from returning home and more importantly, your Pokemon. You are thrust out into an adventure filled with all sorts of wonder and challenges, making new friends along the way...your brand new adventure starts now.

Features:
-It’s a brand new game, you won’t even recognize Gold.
-Two completely new regions
-Completely revamped graphics, some custom and others borrowed from 3rd Generation games
-All new scripts, everything is completely new and custom
-New TM/HM/Attacks, several ported from newer generation games
-Pokemon borrowed from future generations
-Running Shoes added in
-Fresh new storyline
-No more UPPERCASE words. Everything in lowercase
-PLENTY more features you'll see from just playing it


Screenshots:
Here are a collection of screenshots from the game:
waterfallu.png brotherx.png mtlagna.png labf.png pokemonz.png routekz.png lagnapeak.png profrq.png vallecia.png lagnapeak2.png roomh.png towng.png center1.png centerdt.png policeog.png police2.png battlesystem.png route.png

Credits:
Koolboyman-Inspiration from his Gold hack and Running Shoes
Miksy91-Block hack, and fixing glitches
Tauwasser-Scripting Compendium
Others: Mateo, Cooley, Storm118

Download:
http://www.2shared.com/file/N93WcQpG/Ch … _Demo.html
http://www.mediafire.com/?imbzirwjzrdjbtm


Feedback, support, and constructive criticism are gladly welcome.

Last edited by Melash (2013-01-26 16:53:28)

Offline

#2 2012-02-12 10:46:55

Cheestendo
Member
Registered: 2011-03-30
Post 301/319

Re: Pokemon Chrome

Beautiful tiles , will you change the overworld sprites?

Offline

#3 2012-02-12 14:09:34

FireSlasher
Member
From: massachusetss
Registered: 2011-06-24
Post 71/178
Website

Re: Pokemon Chrome

This looks awesome, wish I could do something like this


I'm working on Sterling Silver: Cry of Celebi, if you have any questions, suggestions, or comments, feel free to email me

Offline

#4 2012-02-12 17:30:05

Miksy91
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 775/2,339

Re: Pokemon Chrome

This certainly does look like a fun hack to be played !
I think the new graphics look great btw.

Offline

#5 2012-02-12 22:27:06

Melash
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 86/132

Re: Pokemon Chrome

Thanks for all the support. I've worked hard on all the tiles, glad they look good. I will be editing the main player sprite and most others too, I'm just not very good at drawing sprites so I've put it off. It will be done though, don't worry.

Offline

#6 2012-02-13 05:40:42

Mateo
Member
From: The Sims 4
Registered: 2009-11-25
Post 1,213/3,578

Re: Pokemon Chrome

Looking good, mate!

Offline

#7 2012-02-13 13:00:46

Storm118
Member
Registered: 2012-01-13
Post 40/99

Re: Pokemon Chrome

Thats epic man. Can't wait until you finally finish the demo. It looks like a sweet game.


The Storm is here!
Gotta hack them all, Gotta hack them all, Pokemon.

Offline

#8 2012-02-15 18:25:18

Melash
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 88/132

Re: Pokemon Chrome

I haven't had any time whatsoever to work on this hack, I've got a really busy schedule. Hopefully I will have time to finish up the demo and have it out within a week, but no guarantees.

Offline

#9 2012-02-16 03:41:47

Munchulax
Member
From: Somewhere in Johto
Registered: 2011-08-10
Post 105/410

Re: Pokemon Chrome

kkj1116 wrote:

I understand where you're coming from. When I do have time, I end up playing other games because hacking is not the most action-packed activity.
Don't rush the progress! I'd like to play your demo hack when you feel it's ready to be released.

Same thing with me.  When I have free time, I can do one of two things - Hacking or playing Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.  I usually end up doing the latter because playing that game is a lot more exciting to me than hacking.


“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” ― Oscar Wilde

Offline

#10 2012-02-16 05:00:36

Mateo
Member
From: The Sims 4
Registered: 2009-11-25
Post 1,217/3,578

Re: Pokemon Chrome

I understand the feeling too. I could have had the Christmas Hack bug fix release out by now if I had worked on it whenever I had free time, but other things end up catching my attention. Like today, I watched about 4 episodes of Castle instead of hacking. I know where you're coming from lol.

Offline

#11 2012-02-16 13:52:25

amvz08
Member
From: Philippines
Registered: 2011-06-27
Post 219/600

Re: Pokemon Chrome

nicer when adapted CBM's 600+ pokem0n the0ry.haha


Trust me, I'm an Engineer

>>>Pinoy ka ba? Pasok ka dito<<<

Offline

#12 2012-02-25 19:58:13

Melash
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 91/132

Re: Pokemon Chrome

Rather small update.

I made new sprites for the player and the professor. Here's a screenshot:
newspritesd.png

Let me know what you guys think.

Offline

#13 2012-02-26 00:14:05

Melash
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 92/132

Re: Pokemon Chrome

kkj1116 wrote:
Melash wrote:

Rather small update.

I made new sprites for the player and the professor. Here's a screenshot:
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/6462/newspritesd.png

Let me know what you guys think.

- I love the single-space door mat. I've always been bothered by the canon Pokemon games' two-doors inconsistency!
- I love the player. Finally a character without spiky hair (Blue) or with a hat (Red, Gold)
- I love the floor. I love the wall structure as well!

Thank you, I really appreciate this type of feedback, I wish I could get it for every single one of the screenshots out already.

If anyone has any criticism of anything that might look a little shabby so far, please let me know.

Offline

#14 2012-02-26 06:59:43

Melash
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 95/132

Re: Pokemon Chrome

And now for another update.

I've worked on the hack a few hours today and I've gotten to the point now where I could release a demo. Yay! But I'm bugtesting trying to get rid of glitches, and here are two problems I'm having.
glitch2b.png
gltich1.png

The second screenshot was a bit late, but you can still see glitch tiles at the bottom of the screen.

I used an IPS patch (I believe Mateo released it) that was on my computer for a 255 Tile Hack. It may be outdated, as I downloaded it at least a year or two ago. I don't use any more than the regular amount of tiles, I just the patch to use extra blocks.

When this glitches get fixed, I'll release the Demo.

EDIT:

The other glitch I'm having is that no wild Pokemon are appeared at an area (A cave, to be specific) I just edited. It worked at first, and now no longer does.

Last edited by Melash (2012-02-26 07:05:19)

Offline

#15 2012-02-26 12:32:43

Miksy91
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 796/2,339

Re: Pokemon Chrome

Melash wrote:

And now for another update.

I've worked on the hack a few hours today and I've gotten to the point now where I could release a demo. Yay! But I'm bugtesting trying to get rid of glitches, and here are two problems I'm having.
http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/1050/glitch2b.png
http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/8158/gltich1.png

The second screenshot was a bit late, but you can still see glitch tiles at the bottom of the screen.

I used an IPS patch (I believe Mateo released it) that was on my computer for a 255 Tile Hack. It may be outdated, as I downloaded it at least a year or two ago. I don't use any more than the regular amount of tiles, I just the patch to use extra blocks.

When this glitches get fixed, I'll release the Demo.

EDIT:

The other glitch I'm having is that no wild Pokemon are appeared at an area (A cave, to be specific) I just edited. It worked at first, and now no longer does.

The second glitch is probably nothing more than the fact that somehow, the game wants to change encounter rates of day & night of any area you edit to 00. Just change those bytes back to normal and it should work.
If not, your map header probably has a command for taking wild encounters off although I doubt that.

Offline

#16 2012-02-26 13:47:48

Tauwasser
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 265/452

Re: Pokemon Chrome

The glitch in the second screenshot is due to the fact that you do use some tiles from VRAM1 and did not hack the routine that colors the screen red to actually only set the lower 3 bits of the tile attributes. As it is now, it is resetting the vram attribute. Or so it seems anyway. It's hard to tell without further data about what's in vram at the time, especially since you claim you did not use any of this.

The first screenshot shows how the background tile did get overwritten by some gfx that was probably loaded before the battle starts. Now that I think about it, it might also be the fact with the second screenshot: Something gets extracted over vram while the battle animation is playing.

You should make sure your emulator supports gbc games properly, because it might be that you're stuck in a mode that wants to edit bg attributes, but for some reason you end up writing to VRAM.

cYa,

Tauwasser

Offline

#17 2012-02-26 16:22:43

Melash
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 96/132

Re: Pokemon Chrome

Miksy91 wrote:

The second glitch is probably nothing more than the fact that somehow, the game wants to change encounter rates of day & night of any area you edit to 00. Just change those bytes back to normal and it should work.
If not, your map header probably has a command for taking wild encounters off although I doubt that.

I'll look into that and see if I can't fix that.


Tauwasser wrote:

The glitch in the second screenshot is due to the fact that you do use some tiles from VRAM1 and did not hack the routine that colors the screen red to actually only set the lower 3 bits of the tile attributes. As it is now, it is resetting the vram attribute. Or so it seems anyway. It's hard to tell without further data about what's in vram at the time, especially since you claim you did not use any of this.

The first screenshot shows how the background tile did get overwritten by some gfx that was probably loaded before the battle starts. Now that I think about it, it might also be the fact with the second screenshot: Something gets extracted over vram while the battle animation is playing.

You should make sure your emulator supports gbc games properly, because it might be that you're stuck in a mode that wants to edit bg attributes, but for some reason you end up writing to VRAM.

cYa,

Tauwasser

I'm just using Visualboyadvance. I remember a year or two ago Mateo had this same problem with his SaR hack, because he was using that tileset extension. He was able to fix it somehow though, I don't quite remember what he did though.

Offline

#18 2012-02-26 20:06:57

449/703

Re: Pokemon Chrome

Melash wrote:

I'm just using Visualboyadvance.

VBA has inaccuracies in several places, including VRAM timing. I don’t know if those are what cause your problems in particular, but I would avoid VBA and use BGB or Gambatte instead.

#19 2012-02-26 22:06:24

Melash
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 97/132

Re: Pokemon Chrome

IIMarckus wrote:
Melash wrote:

I'm just using Visualboyadvance.

VBA has inaccuracies in several places, including VRAM timing. I don’t know if those are what cause your problems in particular, but I would avoid VBA and use BGB or Gambatte instead.

I'll give those a try. I would really like to fix this though, seeing as the majority of users use VBA.

EDIT:

I tried BGB, but the same glitch occurred. Actually, I had quite a few more glitches with that compared to VBA. It skipped Prof.Oak's intro at the beginning, which was odd.

Last edited by Melash (2012-02-26 22:29:46)

Offline

#20 2012-02-27 00:59:42

Mateo
Member
From: The Sims 4
Registered: 2009-11-25
Post 1,247/3,578

Re: Pokemon Chrome

I think what I ended up doing in SaR was to remove the part that loaded additional tiles and only keep the part for additional map blocks. I think Tauwasser released a better tileset extension hack since the one you are using that you might want to look into.

Offline

#21 2012-02-27 01:11:31

Melash
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 98/132

Re: Pokemon Chrome

Mateo wrote:

I think what I ended up doing in SaR was to remove the part that loaded additional tiles and only keep the part for additional map blocks. I think Tauwasser released a better tileset extension hack since the one you are using that you might want to look into.

Looking into that. Do you think you could give me a copy of your Hack that only has the additional map blocks?

Offline

#22 2012-02-27 02:53:33

Mateo
Member
From: The Sims 4
Registered: 2009-11-25
Post 1,249/3,578

Re: Pokemon Chrome

I should be able to at some point, yeah.

Offline

#23 2012-02-27 02:56:44

Melash
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 99/132

Re: Pokemon Chrome

Mateo wrote:

I should be able to at some point, yeah.

Actually, I do have a block hack I already had one.

I'm trying now to remove the old 256 hack that was applied, but everytime I try to the game just ends up crashing.

Offline

#24 2012-02-27 07:26:14

Mateo
Member
From: The Sims 4
Registered: 2009-11-25
Post 1,250/3,578

Re: Pokemon Chrome

Well, I guess one way to remove it would be to:
Apply the patch to a clean rom
Go to create a new patch
Use the patched rom as the original, and the clean rom as the "patched" one
Make a patch, which should remove the original patch when it is applied.

Offline

#25 2012-02-28 03:21:01

Melash
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 100/132

Re: Pokemon Chrome

Mateo wrote:

Well, I guess one way to remove it would be to:
Apply the patch to a clean rom
Go to create a new patch
Use the patched rom as the original, and the clean rom as the "patched" one
Make a patch, which should remove the original patch when it is applied.

I know. I've tried doing that, but so far to no avail. For some reason it just causes the game to crash before it even loads the first map. I make constant backups, and I do have one of before and after the patch I originally applied, but there were also quite a few other changes made between the two. I will probably end up doing that, but I may lose quite a bit of data. I'll update this soon with any news.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB