Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#76 2012-01-04 00:44:47

Kuroko Aizawa
Post 177/500

Re: Pokemon Wood

Now you know I'm no coolboyman, but I can map and (I think, may just be my ego) make a creative story. As for map headers and connections I don't know the slightest thing. And I can help you with dialogue. I'm not gonna be the jerk who takes your project and makes it my own, but I would love to help you.

#77 2012-01-04 01:09:37

Sawakita
Administrator
Post 254/365

I really appreciate your help.
Well, for the time being then, you could work on maps, texts and define what goes/happens where (also trainer sets would be nice). I'll take care of inserting event data.
I'm working on a map editor which actually I plan to eventually transform in a factotum. I'll post it (or send it to you) when it's at a usable level. I also can send you my old mapping-tool, which too bad isn't really good; can I mail you?

Also, is it ok for you to start thinking up event data definition (number of people in each map, their sprite, etc.)? General storyline and town-map are in the first post, although town map still may vary a bit, if you find it necessary.

#78 2012-01-04 01:17:28

tysonrss
Post 451/649

Use the tool that Lin made. It's like Johto Map but for the older games. Seems more functional then the others I've seen.

Pokemon Blue DX is reborn!

#79 2012-01-04 01:43:51

Sawakita
Administrator
Post 255/365

I'm not sure but I've heard it's glitchy; also, it's meant to be used on ROMs, while mine will consider the fact that Wood is actually an assembled disassembly (which means it will support side-files, and almost-header-less maps).

Also, NIH.

Last edited by Sawakita (2012-01-04 01:44:56)

#80 2012-01-04 04:26:00

Miksy91
Post 711/2,347

Too bad you lost the interest in continuing this...
But have you thought it through already?
Perhaps you could take a break from this hack and come back to it later when you feel like it.

#81 2012-01-04 04:44:57

Kuroko Aizawa
Post 181/500

Miksy91 wrote:

Too bad you lost the interest in continuing this...
But have you thought it through already?
Perhaps you could take a break from this hack and come back to it later when you feel like it.

This isn't a bad idea, either. And yes, feel free to mail me, though I'd prefer a PM on pkmnhackersonline...

#82 2012-01-04 16:38:55

~Red
Post 156/276

Sawakita wrote:

NEWS:
I'm sorry, but I eventually realized that I don't have any more interest in developing a ROM hack, mainly because I'm not enjoying mapping, writing dialogs, thinking up story events (I'm moving to simply reverse existing code both in IIMarckus' pokered and probably in a new coming disassembly of GSC), so I'd like to know if there's anyone willing to seriously carry on the project. I'll release the source code of the hack, with all docs and related files (pics, data tables) that I've worked on so far.

I've been suggested by IIMarckus to make this hack into a community project, so let me know if you're interested. I'm still willing to do my part on the hack, by programming scripts and doing general ASM hacking, but for the other tasks I think I'm done.

I would do it but it seems the offer has already been taken. Y'see, my strong point is making ideas and mapping etc. but I cannot do events and since mapping and storyline is what you need help coming up with....darn it never mind it's been taken :(

Damn how do I always miss out on these opportunities...

Last edited by ~Red (2012-01-04 16:44:45)

#83 2012-01-04 17:02:28

Kuroko Aizawa
Post 182/500

~Red wrote:
Sawakita wrote:

NEWS:
I'm sorry, but I eventually realized that I don't have any more interest in developing a ROM hack, mainly because I'm not enjoying mapping, writing dialogs, thinking up story events (I'm moving to simply reverse existing code both in IIMarckus' pokered and probably in a new coming disassembly of GSC), so I'd like to know if there's anyone willing to seriously carry on the project. I'll release the source code of the hack, with all docs and related files (pics, data tables) that I've worked on so far.

I've been suggested by IIMarckus to make this hack into a community project, so let me know if you're interested. I'm still willing to do my part on the hack, by programming scripts and doing general ASM hacking, but for the other tasks I think I'm done.

I would do it but it seems the offer has already been taken. Y'see, my strong point is making ideas and mapping etc. but I cannot do events and since mapping and storyline is what you need help coming up with....darn it never mind it's been taken :(

I think 2 minds work better than 1, ya' know Besides, I have  hack of my own (so do you) so I can't even devote all my time into this, but i do wanna help out so Gen 1 hacking doesn't die.

#84 2012-01-05 08:06:27

~Red
Post 157/276

Pia Carrot wrote:
~Red wrote:
Sawakita wrote:

NEWS:

I think 2 minds work better than 1, ya' know Besides, I have  hack of my own (so do you) so I can't even devote all my time into this, but i do wanna help out so Gen 1 hacking doesn't die.

Well if you want I can email you my various IM details so we can talk about it and perhaps even incorporate all our ideas into one. I really want to see Pokemon Wood completed as it looks like a beautiful hack :)

#85 2012-01-05 08:26:37

stag019
Idea Killer
Post 112/630

I kinda like IIMarckus's suggestion of making it a community hack. We could give each other ideas and work on it in the IRC channel and whatnot.

You can try to hide yourself in this world of pretend; when the paper's crumpled up, it can't be perfect again.

#86 2012-01-05 14:29:08

Kuroko Aizawa
Post 185/500

Sounds like a faptastic idea. Though we need Sawakita's permission.

#87 2012-01-05 16:36:23

~Red
Post 158/276

stag019 wrote:

I kinda like IIMarckus's suggestion of making it a community hack. We could give each other ideas and work on it in the IRC channel and whatnot.

I have an idea. Why doesn't Sawakita release the hack in it's current form and then anyone can finish it if they please. Of course, you would think there will be then numerous hacks with the same base but this is untrue since most hacks are never finished. This would be a test to see who can actually finish it fully.

#88 2012-01-05 17:17:34

tekcoR
Post 98/165

stag019 wrote:

This.
Open source and development has the best chance to lead to a playable result providing a lot of features. It may be used as a good rombase like Miksy did with Mateos Christmas Hack.
I also think the discussion about numerous hacks is absurd (imo like the whole 'not too many tools, low-quality edits instead of hacks, look at oversimplified GBA hacking where you can edit everything a lot easier' discussion lol). I don't know if it is my optimistic view but the RBYGSC target audience seems a bit more reasonable than others.

Cya

#89 2012-01-05 17:49:28

~Red
Post 159/276

tekcoR wrote:
stag019 wrote:

This.
Open source and development has the best chance to lead to a playable result providing a lot of features. It may be used as a good rombase like Miksy did with Mateos Christmas Hack.
I also think the discussion about numerous hacks is absurd (imo like the whole 'not too many tools, low-quality edits instead of hacks, look at oversimplified GBA hacking where you can edit everything a lot easier' discussion lol). I don't know if it is my optimistic view but the RBYGSC target audience seems a bit more reasonable than others.

I said that you would think there would be numerous hacks if released openly. However I highly doubt many people would pick up a red hack and finish it.

#90 2012-01-05 18:18:48

Kuroko Aizawa
Post 186/500

Still, I think that would ruin Sawakita's rep. I doubt he'd like to be known as the great Blue hacker who sold himself short.

#91 2012-01-05 19:25:03

Sawakita
Administrator
Post 256/365

~Red wrote:

Anyone willing to contribute here is welcome, thus, thank you.

stag019 wrote:

Same here. A community hack would be my goal, at this point. And also, the IRC is handy when it comes to brainstorming.

~Red wrote:

I have an idea. Why doesn't Sawakita release the hack in it's current form and then anyone can finish it if they please. Of course, you would think there will be then numerous hacks with the same base but this is untrue since most hacks are never finished. This would be a test to see who can actually finish it fully.

When I'm going to release something it would certainly be the source code, rather than the assembled hack.

There are two main reasons:
1. I'd like, or better, I want, that this hack will be made taking advantage of working on a disassembly, rather than on hex editing or anything that is limited by fixed addresses/limits.
2. Releasing the source code would require more effort (even if little) for anyone who wants to put his/her hands on working on it, rather than if I release an assembled ROM.

So, my preference is that this hack will be worked on as a single community, rather than having different people working each one on their own version. And above all, this hack must (maybe a too stong word, but I hope you get what I mean) be developed using the disassembly.

Thanks to anyone who is offering their help, I appreciate it.

#92 2012-01-06 17:40:45

~Red
Post 160/276

I strongly dislike the community idea.

1. Timezones - For instance, I was at school when you initially made this post and couldn't get a chance to post.
2. Disagreements - People make things in different ways. I'd rather put my ideas in as I get them rather than compromise (selfish I know, but I'd like to actually have some input in the hack)
3. Community hacks have never worked/never been finished. Look at Pokemon Artic/Zap/Molten for instance.

Just my two cents. I think I'll sit out on this one.

#93 2012-01-06 19:20:06

stag019
Idea Killer
Post 113/630

~Red wrote:

1. Timezones - For instance, I was at school when you initially made this post and couldn't get a chance to post.
2. Disagreements - People make things in different ways. I'd rather put my ideas in as I get them rather than compromise (selfish I know, but I'd like to actually have some input in the hack)
3. Community hacks have never worked/never been finished. Look at Pokemon Artic/Zap/Molten for instance.

Just my two cents. I think I'll sit out on this one.

1. People are in different timezones all around the board and yet we collaborate a lot of information daily. Even in the IRC channel.
2. Selfish, yes. But this is also the most valid point here.
3. I disagree, An SMWC Production faired rather well. Even though it did have its flaws, SMWCPII looks even better.

I honestly just think you want to try to take the hack all for yourself, judging by the posts, and amount of posts you've made in this thread thus far.

You can try to hide yourself in this world of pretend; when the paper's crumpled up, it can't be perfect again.

#94 2012-01-07 02:47:06

dooshboi
Post 109/132

Nuuuuuuuu Sawakita don't quit! It looks great so far! I mean, maybe the community'll work on it for a few weeks/months, but after that, it's likely to just fade into obscurity like all the others...

I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones.

#95 2012-01-07 03:33:55

418/703

~Red wrote:

I think this isn’t much of a problem.

~Red wrote:

The hack will (probably) be kept in a Mercurial repo, so anyone who wants to will be able to fork and create their own version.

~Red wrote:

Collaborative hacking hasn’t really been done with the right tools. Mercurial is phenomenal for this, and has been a great help in the Pokémon Red disassembly—basically, people can make changes in their own copy, and Mercurial will (almost) automatically merge them together into mine. In fact, I’m trying to determine how to keep Pokémon Wood as a separate branch in the same repository as the Pokémon Red disassembly. That would be pretty cool.

stag019 wrote:

I honestly just think you want to try to take the hack all for yourself, judging by the posts, and amount of posts you've made in this thread thus far.

I don’t think that was very nice.

#96 2012-01-07 05:02:39

stag019
Idea Killer
Post 114/630

kkj1116 wrote:

The final decision rests upon the author Sawakita of course.

Not really. I mean, anyone can do anything they want with any hack. It's not like we got Nintendo's permission to hack Pokemon in the first place. ;)

IIMarckus wrote:
stag019 wrote:

I don’t think that was very nice.

It happens.

#97 2012-01-07 06:22:40

stag019
Idea Killer
Post 115/630

kkj1116 wrote:
stag019 wrote:

Not really. I mean, anyone can do anything they want with any hack. It's not like we got Nintendo's permission to hack Pokemon in the first place. ;)

Ethically speaking. I guess there's no law to stop it but most people wouldn't want people to modify their hacks even after declaring it was wanted as a community effort.

You're right, there's no law to stop you from working on someone else's hack. But there are laws telling you you can't hack someone else's published games. Why would you find it morally wrong to work on someone else's ROM hack, but not on Pokemon itself seeing as that's a bunch of other people's games and it's even protected by law.

#98 2012-01-07 09:15:48

Mateo
Post 1,162/3,627

stag has a point, although I would feel worse about hacking Brown without Koolboyman's permission than I do about hacking Gold without gamefreak's permission. I think it comes from the personal vs impersonal nature of our relationships with the creators. Gamefreak is a faceless corporation, a sort of man-behind-the-curtain. You do something to him, he doesn't directly know, probably doesn't really care, and you don't really care because "Gamefreak" made it and "Gamefreak" isn't a person. A hack on the other hand, was made by an individual or group of individuals. While we may not know them in person or by their given name, we know them through their presence in our communities, we can actually speak with them and discuss things, we can actually ask permission and be told a yes or no answer, and we generally feel worse about it than we would a corporation. It's like bootlegging music vs going to your friend's house and stealing his CD. The legal ramifications are technically worse on the bootlegging, but you are more likely to be personally caught by your friend whose CD you stole. Also, your friend may shun you for stealing his CDs whereas the bootlegging will get you a fine perhaps, but often you won't even get noticed. With this, hacking won't have any real consequences, but if you use another person's hack without their permission, the community will find out about it and probably shun you and your hack.

that's my take on it anyway.

I am no longer active on this forum. I only pop in from time to time.

#99 2012-01-07 09:23:27

~Red
Post 161/276

I don't think stag was being nasty. I truly do not like community based projects. Plus, mercurial would probably not be the way to go, from what I know it's for mostly programming only. What about all the graphics and maps and features? Perhaps I don't fully understand mercurial.

I had problems using mercurial before too, which would further exclude me from the project. I know I said before I'm sitting this one out, but now you're using mercurial and possibly having the assembly split over several....oh I don't know I'm babbling....

It's Sawakita's hack after all.

#100 2012-01-07 15:08:50

stag019
Idea Killer
Post 116/630

Mateo wrote:

words

Oh, I completey agree. I just wanted someone to explain it. You did that better than I would have.

Remind me that posting on a 3DS is not fun.

Board footer