Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#651 2020-06-01 02:18:53

Rangi
Member
Registered: 2016-05-09
Post 940/944

Re: Simple Questions & Answers

Personally, I prefer to avoid working with indexed palettes at all. You can create separate normal.pal files to define the colors with RGB macros, just like shiny.pal, and use those instead of the auto-generated .gbcpal files. (Remember, .gbcpals use INCBIN, but .pals use INCLUDE.) Then make the PNGs grayscale, so it doesn't matter whether they're indexed or not.

Offline

#652 2020-06-01 05:25:32

MrSallt
New member
Registered: 2020-05-31
Post 2/9

Re: Simple Questions & Answers

Rangi wrote:

Personally, I prefer to avoid working with indexed palettes at all. You can create separate normal.pal files to define the colors with RGB macros, just like shiny.pal, and use those instead of the auto-generated .gbcpal files. (Remember, .gbcpals use INCBIN, but .pals use INCLUDE.) Then make the PNGs grayscale, so it doesn't matter whether they're indexed or not.

First, Thank you for your answer.
Sssso multiples questions have come to me.

So if I follow your answer here I can list the following step :
- I have the idea to replace ledyba by togekiss
- I change all the stats
- after that I assemble the disassembly to see if there is any bug
- here comes the sprite part !
- I work on my sprite with rgb colors on photoshop..
So if I want to work on a 56x56 pixel sprite, photoshop asks for a pixel detail. What do I put there ?
And after that. Is RGB macro an utilitie that I can use to define my color i will use in my sprite making process ?

I really think I don't understand this part of the tutorial.. If I understanded this correctly, I have to create a sprite with 4 color palettes and their colours will have to be this way : First color is the colour that will have the transparency, the 3 others ae the colors I will use to make my sprite. And thats it.

When I opened a Sprite that came from the disassembly files, I also saw in photoshop that it's palette was indexed in 256 colors, the firsts 4 colors represents the colors used to makes the sprite and the others represents shades of grey.

So if I want to use my sprite, as I have to create my sprite with four colors and defined palettes, the first one will have to be the transparency, the others the sprite used colors.

Now I had a question. Do I have to use a limited amount of colors or can I use all the colors that the RGB environnement allow me to use ?

Is my way to work the good way to work ?...

My question is in fact : How to you create your sprite to insert it into the disassembly ?

Last edited by MrSallt (2020-06-01 05:33:31)


- If my english seems a little weardish, that's normal, Am French -

Offline

#653 2020-06-01 12:47:24

MrSallt
New member
Registered: 2020-05-31
Post 4/9

Re: Simple Questions & Answers

MrSallt wrote:
Rangi wrote:

Personally, I prefer to avoid working with indexed palettes at all. You can create separate normal.pal files to define the colors with RGB macros, just like shiny.pal, and use those instead of the auto-generated .gbcpal files. (Remember, .gbcpals use INCBIN, but .pals use INCLUDE.) Then make the PNGs grayscale, so it doesn't matter whether they're indexed or not.

First, Thank you for your answer.
Sssso multiples questions have come to me.

So if I follow your answer here I can list the following step :
- I have the idea to replace ledyba by togekiss
- I change all the stats
- after that I assemble the disassembly to see if there is any bug
- here comes the sprite part !
- I work on my sprite with rgb colors on photoshop..
So if I want to work on a 56x56 pixel sprite, photoshop asks for a pixel detail. What do I put there ?
And after that. Is RGB macro an utilitie that I can use to define my color i will use in my sprite making process ?

I really think I don't understand this part of the tutorial.. If I understanded this correctly, I have to create a sprite with 4 color palettes and their colours will have to be this way : First color is the colour that will have the transparency, the 3 others ae the colors I will use to make my sprite. And thats it.

When I opened a Sprite that came from the disassembly files, I also saw in photoshop that it's palette was indexed in 256 colors, the firsts 4 colors represents the colors used to makes the sprite and the others represents shades of grey.

So if I want to use my sprite, as I have to create my sprite with four colors and defined palettes, the first one will have to be the transparency, the others the sprite used colors.

Now I had a question. Do I have to use a limited amount of colors or can I use all the colors that the RGB environnement allow me to use ?

Is my way to work the good way to work ?...

My question is in fact : How to you create your sprite to insert it into the disassembly ?

Ok, so I tried to create my sprite in ms paint and it was okeay, everything was alright. Everything enter in order ( tout est rentré dans l'ordre in french )

So for the ones thats has the sames problem than me. Open or make your sprite in Microsoft Paint, it has to be 40x40, 48x48 or 56x56 for front sprite and 48x48 for backsprite. You have to put your sprite in the high left corner and saves it in .png. If you follow the rest of the tutorial "Hoy to ass a species in pokecrystal" you'll be allright.

I have now a long parcour to make my game like I want it to be :D


- If my english seems a little weardish, that's normal, Am French -

Offline

#654 2020-06-02 08:49:35

gordogozon
New member
Registered: 2020-05-25
Post 5/8

Re: Simple Questions & Answers

Hi! How are you?

I have questions regarding the best way to handle backups.

Is there some useful cygwin command that makes it a less tedious task than backuping the files manually? (I'm completelly new using it and I'm only familiar with the functions described in the install.md i.e. "make" and "git clone")

Also is there some way to restore the files to default without deleting all and cloning again?

I think that a better understanding in some of the basics could help me to avoid some unnecessary work.

Thank you! And take care!

Offline

#655 2020-06-02 11:47:52

ElectroMan
New member
Registered: 2018-05-14
Post 6/6

Re: Simple Questions & Answers

Yes, that is exactly what version history tools are used for. You should learn how to use git and how programmers keep track of their work. You don't need to understand the all the intricacies, but even the basics will allow you to do some powerful tasks. An example of a tutorial to get your started.

Offline

#656 2020-06-03 07:40:09

gordogozon
New member
Registered: 2020-05-25
Post 6/8

Re: Simple Questions & Answers

Thank You!

That's exactly what i needed to start exploring it

Offline

#657 2020-06-05 01:07:49

vanlach
New member
Registered: 2018-03-04
Post 7/7

Re: Simple Questions & Answers

So I just followed the new pokecrystal tutorial on the wiki for adding menu icon colors and it's messed up my menu icons as you can see from this screenshot. They worked completely fine before, I even added individual menu icons some time back.
Here's the commit link. I've looked over it multiple times comparing it to the tutorial and I can't find anything that's different.
Also here's the commit link to the individual menu icons if something looks wrong there.

VQ1rU3z.png


Edit: Well it looks like I was writing dsprite instead of dbsprite for the oam.asm file. That seemed to fix it.

Last edited by vanlach (2020-06-13 02:10:38)

Offline

#658 2020-06-05 19:56:54

MrSallt
New member
Registered: 2020-05-31
Post 6/9

Re: Simple Questions & Answers

Hi again.

I am here beacause i have another little problem with my modding of the pokecrystal disassembly..
I followed the tutorial to add a new pokemon which is on the github of pokecrystal. Everything worked for me at this moment.

After that I wanted to replace fearow by magmortar. I changed the stats, names, everything but i kept the pointers of fearow. When I wanted to replace the sprite, I have deleted the front.gbcpal, front.dimension, front.animated.2bpp.lz, bitmask.asm and frames.asm to allow to regenerate them when I will replace the front and back sprite by the magmortar sprite.

I entered the Make command, and at this moment everything seems alright. But when I tried to fight a magmortar in my game, the sprite was a fearow's sprite....

What am I doing wrong ? :(

And sometimes, when I use the make command, nothing happen, it says that all is already compiled, but I deleted some files in pokemon gfx to remake them. I'm afraid to have to remake all pointers ^^'

Last edited by MrSallt (2020-06-05 20:46:31)


- If my english seems a little weardish, that's normal, Am French -

Offline

#659 2020-06-06 17:38:26

MrSallt
New member
Registered: 2020-05-31
Post 7/9

Re: Simple Questions & Answers

Hello again...

Does anyone had this problem before ?

mini_200606074731874862.png

When I tried to test my modified crystal rom where I have implanted new sprites, stat and pokemon names it shows me this when i tried to look on the pokedex for the pokemon above 223.. Same when I tried to watch my ymphect stat in my team... Oh god what have I done ?

Last edited by MrSallt (2020-06-06 17:39:13)


- If my english seems a little weardish, that's normal, Am French -

Offline

#660 2020-06-13 05:32:19

rbroab
Member
Registered: 2017-06-13
Post 93/98

Re: Simple Questions & Answers

It's been two years, and I'm still working on trying to make the male surf sprite turn blue instead of red in pokecrystal haha. Changing the surf sprite palette constant to PAL_OW_BLUE doesn't do anything. Ive tried adding each of these to the surf function, but neither have done anything.

special Special_SetPlayerPalette, 1

loadvar PlayerPalette, 1


I know Mateo was working on the same thing, but don't know how much progress they made or if they even post here anymore

Offline

#661 2020-06-13 17:16:21

Rangi
Member
Registered: 2016-05-09
Post 942/944

Re: Simple Questions & Answers

rbroab wrote:

It's been two years, and I'm still working on trying to make the male surf sprite turn blue instead of red in pokecrystal haha. Changing the surf sprite palette constant to PAL_OW_BLUE doesn't do anything. Ive tried adding each of these to the surf function, but neither have done anything.

special Special_SetPlayerPalette, 1

loadvar PlayerPalette, 1


I know Mateo was working on the same thing, but don't know how much progress they made or if they even post here anymore

How well do you understand the sprite animation system? There are a number of constant series in constants/sprite_anim_constants.asm, with comments indicating the data and code they correspond to. Try reading through those to see how the exact appearance and behavior of an NPC is determined. Also look for where the SPRITE_SURF constant is used, and how the code chooses that sprite instead of SPRITE_CHRIS/SPRITE_KRIS. Follow through the code's logic to see where the palette is determined and how it can be made to depend on the Surfing state.

Offline

#662 2020-06-13 18:03:56

rbroab
Member
Registered: 2017-06-13
Post 94/98

Re: Simple Questions & Answers

How well do you understand the sprite animation system? There are a number of constant series in constants/sprite_anim_constants.asm, with comments indicating the data and code they correspond to. Try reading through those to see how the exact appearance and behavior of an NPC is determined. Also look for where the SPRITE_SURF constant is used, and how the code chooses that sprite instead of SPRITE_CHRIS/SPRITE_KRIS. Follow through the code's logic to see where the palette is determined and how it can be made to depend on the Surfing state.

Hey Rangi. I was under the impression that the surf sprite was switched to under the surf function. More recently, I tried to apply the script from the second floor of the pokemon center where Kris's sprite is changed to go into the cable room. There's a special function for setting color palettes.

SPRITE_SURF took me to data/sprites/player_sprites.asm where ChrisStateSprites are listed as PLAYER_NORMAL, PLAYER_BIKE, and PLAYER_SURF. So I've been following PLAYER_SURF. Am I on the right path by following this?

And inside of constants/sprite_anim_constants.asm I didn't find much help in anything relating to surfing, so maybe I don't know what I'm looking at.


Edit: PLAYER_SURF has lead me toa couple of things like TrySurfOW and [PlayerState]. Honestly, I don't know if I'm getting further closer, or still going nowhere haha

Last edited by rbroab (2020-06-13 18:11:45)

Offline

#663 2020-06-14 23:59:07

rbroab
Member
Registered: 2017-06-13
Post 95/98

Re: Simple Questions & Answers

Oh my god. Two years. It took two years, but I finally got it. I'm so happy.

UsedSurfScript: ; c986
    callasm PrepareOverworldMove
    writetext UsedSurfText ; "used SURF!"
    waitbutton
    closetext

    scall FieldMovePokepicScript

    copybytetovar Buffer2
    writevarcode VAR_MOVEMENT

    writebyte (PAL_NPC_BLUE << 4)
    special Special_SetPlayerPalette
    special RefreshSprites
    special ReplaceKrisSprite

Last edited by rbroab (2020-06-15 05:06:14)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB