You are not logged in.
Can you have a "Special Edition" of the "Special Pikachu Edition"? Sure, why not; I'm not creative enough for a different name.
I've been lurking here the last few months learning things and asking questions. I've been appreciative of what I've learned and this is the end result: https://github.com/triforce89/pokeyellow
Overall intention was to create a "definitive" Generation 1 game, playing up the nostalgia of our youth. The end result is a game that more closely reflects the anime series. At the same time, the game balance has been tweaked - simultaneously being more difficult in terms of some of the battles, but also providing you the opportunity to have a varied party early on. Graphics have been improved. Cut features restored. Text revised. Catch 'em all! Hopefully creating something that plays like we remember it, but not how it was.
- Restore the intro battle cutscene (as was seen in the anime)
- Unique colour palettes for Trainers
- Unique overworked sprites for: Brock, Misty, Lt. Surge, Koga, Sabrina, Blaine, and Bill
- Wild Pokémon locations (borrowed from: https://github.com/Fotomac/nostalgia-yellow)
- Given that, there are now more active catch locations (Rocket Hideout, more bodies of water)
- Bill's Pokémon costume/form is a Clefairy, as in the GBA remake
- Use the Brunette Girl sprite instead of Lass on the overworked when the trainer is not Lass
- Similarly fix instances where a Rocker wasn't using a Rocker overworld sprite
- Better Pokémon colour palettes (i.e., Rattata is now purple)
- Revised Game Corner prizing (with dynamic determination of offering up one of the Hitmons)
- Gym Battles now have revised parties, larger and higher levelled, with a few special moves - all to reflect the anime more closely
- Jessie & James battles are higher-levelled, with some variations in the party for later battles
- Cool Trainers have some expanded parties from the GBA remakes
- Textual revisions throughout, reflecting the anime and GBA remakes - for clarity and character (anime references are now explicit)
- Battles where levels were reduced compared to Red & Blue are now restored
- Similar to the Hitmons, the fossils also have dynamic availability in the Seafoam Islands
- Option to play as a girl (graphics from https://liliebiehlina3siste.deviantart. … 166666033)
- Restore cut lines when you lose to Gary in later battles
- Add caught Pokéball icon in Wild battles
- Restore cut gym leader name display on badge screen
- Unique sprite when surfing on Lapras
- Memory optimization of mart inventories and trainer pics
- Improved sprite art for: ghost, gym leaders, champion Gary, Jessie & James (hi Meowth!), Ash, channellers, engineers (closer to Stadium), Giovanni (hi Persian!), Lorelei (more like anime), psychic, rocker (can tell what it is)
- Improved sprite art for the majority of Pokémon (either minor touch-ups or out-right replaced). Combination of Yellow, Gold '97, Pink (https://www.vg-resource.com/thread-148.html), https://piacarrot.deviantart.com/art/15 … -718566907, https://hax.iimarckus.org/post/42817/
- Pikachu Beach minigame is unlocked (you do not need a Surfing Pikachu)
I pulled and modified graphics from a number of sources, the ones linked above are the ones I remember. For the rest, I offer a general shout out to the Skeetendo community. If I've used your work, please let me know, and I'll credit you.
The caveat is that I've not play-tested this in full. I've played up to and into Viridian Forest, and use some GameShark codes to unlock my Pokédex in full and checkout the new sprite art. My main testing criteria was that it successfully compiles. So, hopefully this doesn't bug out and is actually playable. At the very least may be worth others borrowing some of the art and colour revisions.
Can you provide an .ips file? I would love to play this! This'll give me a reason to play Yellow as the original game was crap but you turned it into a gem. I also am a redditor and I wanted to share your Github page on there on r/PokemonRomHacks. I hope it helps to raise awareness of your work. Keep it up!
Last edited by Ziko (2018-06-20 23:05:16)
IPS file to test, maybe some screenshots? I mean this sounds cool but I'd like to see some :)
Ziko, Phlynn, sorry about that. I thought compiling from the repo would be enough. Thank you for your interest though. Here's an IPS http://www.mediafire.com/file/nnn20in10 … orce89.ips
Enjoy! I look forward to your feedback
Thanks! Been playing it for a bit here now and so far the only oddity I came a cross was every so often the game stalls for a bit then keeps going, like a hickup. Idk if this is the game or just my emu though so I wouldn't read much into it. So far I'm liking what I see though would like to see a few things. The back of the trainer/pokemon sprites still looks blurry and muted, then again that might just be me. (https://i.gyazo.com/32ee2512e9b564273e6b7d3f2af0e971.png for reference to what I mean.) Also it would be nice to see though this is just a stretch is trying to implement the full color mod to this. That combined and I think you'd have the perfect rom here :)
Correct, the backsprites are not any different. I thought about adding the new backsprites from the Gold beta but then decided it'd be strange to have that additional clarity with backsprite poses that don't match the frontsprite poses. Decided to leave them as-is as they have their own little nostalgic charm to them.
I've not encountered that stall effect before. That is interesting.
Are you playing as the boy or the girl?
Last edited by TRIFORCE89 (2018-06-30 01:48:34)
As a girl. Though like I said, it might just be the emu I'm using, BGB. I mean there might be a way to clean them up with still being the same sprites? tbh idk that much about the programming side of things so idk how hard that would be.
My master branch has been updated to make Misty's Psyduck the Amnesia Psyduck from Stadium.
On a similar note (being Stadium), I have this branch in the works for some mechanic revisions https://github.com/TRIFORCE89/pokeyello … -corrected
Although, I'm not really comfortable/confident with these bugfixes (having not actually play-tested) aside from the ball catch rate changes.
The game's fine so far and I think it'll be the best version of Yellow yet. This feels more like an actual effort than what Game Freak can do really. They have been making some really awful games as of late.