Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

  • Index
  • → Help/Question
  • → [PokeRed]I have a problem with changing the wild encounter rates

#1 2018-02-16 21:22:07

Peej4321
New member
Registered: 2018-02-16
Post 1/9

[PokeRed]I have a problem with changing the wild encounter rates

I found the wild encounter rate constants at the bottom of wild_encounters.asm, and I halved each of them, which I thought would double the encounter rate (based on the explanation of how they work in the comment above them). When I tried playing, I found that the encounter rate was significantly lowered, and I was encountering Missingno. I gather it's not as simple as changing the numbers. How would I double the wild encounter rate everywhere?

Offline

#2 2018-02-16 21:46:14

RadonUsedMimic
Member
From: Texas
Registered: 2016-11-22
Post 93/127
Website

Re: [PokeRed]I have a problem with changing the wild encounter rates

Peej4321 wrote:

I found the wild encounter rate constants at the bottom of wild_encounters.asm, and I halved each of them, which I thought would double the encounter rate (based on the explanation of how they work in the comment above them). When I tried playing, I found that the encounter rate was significantly lowered, and I was encountering Missingno. I gather it's not as simple as changing the numbers. How would I double the wild encounter rate everywhere?

I think either you gotta change the “db $__” above the Pokémon listed in each wild Pokémon file, or you can probably do what the water parts of Kanto do and follow that formula.

Last edited by RadonUsedMimic (2018-02-16 21:47:03)


Caramba! I hate it when there’s a lot of hair on the floor! Here, I’ll go clean up!
Woo! Feels good when the floor is clean, doesn’t it? Let’s groove.

Offline

#3 2018-02-16 22:08:04

Peej4321
New member
Registered: 2018-02-16
Post 2/9

Re: [PokeRed]I have a problem with changing the wild encounter rates

RadonUsedMimic wrote:

I think either you gotta change the “db $__” above the Pokémon listed in each wild Pokémon file, or you can probably do what the water parts of Kanto do and follow that formula.

Thanks, I didn't see those. Except it seems like halving the number halves the encounter rate, and doubling it doubles it. Does this number work differently into the encounter rate formula or something?

Offline

#4 2018-02-16 22:11:16

Ammako
Member
Registered: 2016-03-06
Post 158/158

Re: [PokeRed]I have a problem with changing the wild encounter rates

The values in wild_encounters.asm have nothing to do with the rate of wild encounters when walking in the grass. They represent the rates at which the different encounter slots will be picked when you do get a wild encounter.

I -think- the values at the top of each area's encounter data is out of 255 ($FF), but don't quote me on that. For example Cerulean Cave bottom floor is 19/FF = 25/255 chance of encountering a wild Pokémon every step.

Last edited by Ammako (2018-02-16 22:14:51)

Offline

#5 2018-02-16 22:30:54

Peej4321
New member
Registered: 2018-02-16
Post 3/9

Re: [PokeRed]I have a problem with changing the wild encounter rates

Ammako wrote:

The values in wild_encounters.asm have nothing to do with the rate of wild encounters when walking in the grass. They represent the rates at which the different encounter slots will be picked when you do get a wild encounter.

I -think- the values at the top of each area's encounter data is out of 255 ($FF), but don't quote me on that. For example Cerulean Cave bottom floor is 19/FF = 25/255 chance of encountering a wild Pokémon every step.

I understand now, thanks. I think that must be the case because it seems to be working.

Offline

  • Index
  • → Help/Question
  • → [PokeRed]I have a problem with changing the wild encounter rates

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB