Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

  • Index
  • → Help/Question
  • → Pokémon: Raise Gold Version level cap to the highest possible—255/0xFF

#1 2015-09-26 17:25:26

wolfboyft
Member
Registered: 2015-09-26
Post 1/15

Pokémon: Raise Gold Version level cap to the highest possible—255/0xFF

I hate the fact that Game Freak decided it would make sense to have such a low level cap... one that won't let the player rise to the very top possible, 255 or 0xFF.
So, I have decided that in all my hacks of Pokémon, I'll make sure that all Pokémon can level over 100, and cap only at 255 because that's the highest possible of an eight-bit integer/unsigned char.

But how would this be done? Is it as quick and simple as changing a byte somewhere in the ROM from 0x64 to 0xFF, or, if it isn't JUST that, is there also the fact that higher levels aren't really... properly supported?

Or is it impossible?

Thanks for any help.

P.S Remember, I'm using Gold Version.

Offline

#2 2015-09-26 21:51:49

jastolze
Member
Registered: 2013-01-13
Post 107/112

Re: Pokémon: Raise Gold Version level cap to the highest possible—255/0xFF

I would also like a removable cap in Gold, at least to 200 or so. I have a Pokemon Crystal Rom I compiled that's had the level cap raised to 250, if you'd like it.

https://www.mediafire.com/?ic09c5pivt4qda6

Last edited by jastolze (2015-09-26 22:48:22)

Offline

#3 2015-09-27 10:25:24

wolfboyft
Member
Registered: 2015-09-26
Post 2/15

Re: Pokémon: Raise Gold Version level cap to the highest possible—255/0xFF

Eh? No... I need to put this in my own hack. Can't you tell me how to do it?

Offline

#4 2015-09-27 23:11:19

comet
Member
Registered: 2012-04-09
Post 611/672

Re: Pokémon: Raise Gold Version level cap to the highest possible—255/0xFF

wolfboyft wrote:

But how would this be done? Is it as quick and simple as changing a byte somewhere in the ROM from 0x64 to 0xFF

A couple dozen bytes. Look for MAX_LEVEL in pokecrystal, but there are probably a few 100s/101s/0x64s/0x65s that slipped through the cracks as well.

Offline

#5 2015-09-28 13:15:52

wolfboyft
Member
Registered: 2015-09-26
Post 7/15

Re: Pokémon: Raise Gold Version level cap to the highest possible—255/0xFF

comet wrote:
wolfboyft wrote:

But how would this be done? Is it as quick and simple as changing a byte somewhere in the ROM from 0x64 to 0xFF

A couple dozen bytes. Look for MAX_LEVEL in pokecrystal, but there are probably a few 100s/101s/0x64s/0x65s that slipped through the cracks as well.

That's a CRYSTAL disassembly. Does this affect me? I'm using Gold. Sorry for being such a newbie!

Last edited by wolfboyft (2015-09-28 13:16:06)

Offline

#6 2015-09-28 13:40:20

Mateo
Member
From: The Sims 4
Registered: 2009-11-25
Post 3,055/3,456

Re: Pokémon: Raise Gold Version level cap to the highest possible—255/0xFF

Gold and Crystal are virtually identical from a code standpoint. Some offsets are different and Crystal has extra routines for new stuff, but finding the routines that need changing in Crystal (where it is easier to look them up) can help you find the equivalent routines in Gold.

Offline

#7 2015-09-28 13:43:46

wolfboyft
Member
Registered: 2015-09-26
Post 8/15

Re: Pokémon: Raise Gold Version level cap to the highest possible—255/0xFF

Mateo wrote:

Gold and Crystal are virtually identical from a code standpoint. Some offsets are different and Crystal has extra routines for new stuff, but finding the routines that need changing in Crystal (where it is easier to look them up) can help you find the equivalent routines in Gold.

Oh. O.K.

Hmm... would this be considered a daunting task, though?

Offline

#8 2015-09-28 14:18:49

Danny-E 33
Administrator
Registered: 2012-06-09
Post 910/1,021

Re: Pokémon: Raise Gold Version level cap to the highest possible—255/0xFF

wolfboyft, I moved your threads to the appropriate forum. The "Discussions, Documents and Tutorials" forums are more for thorough discussion. This is to help make it easy to locate useful, substantial documentation. General help belongs in the Help/Question forum.

Here is the short answer to any "Would X be considered a daunting task?"
If you are hex editing, yes.
If you are using the disassembly, maybe not.
Now if you're looking to make this task not daunting, I would urge you to consider switching to the crystal disassembly.


Red Hack: Pokémon Prototype

Total number of registered users: 7000+
Total number of active users: ~12

Offline

#9 2015-09-28 14:23:48

wolfboyft
Member
Registered: 2015-09-26
Post 9/15

Re: Pokémon: Raise Gold Version level cap to the highest possible—255/0xFF

Danny-E 33 wrote:

wolfboyft, I moved your threads to the appropriate forum. The "Discussions, Documents and Tutorials" forums are more for thorough discussion. This is to help make it easy to locate useful, substantial documentation. General help belongs in the Help/Question forum.

Here is the short answer to any "Would X be considered a daunting task?"
If you are hex editing, yes.
If you are using the disassembly, maybe not.
Now if you're looking to make this task not daunting, I would urge you to consider switching to the crystal disassembly.

Oh, thanks, I had a feeling... some evil spirit was surrounding me – the monster of the wrong forum!

Anyway... I probably will. Uh... how does this work, though? I've literally never done any ASM in my life... so... uh, how do I even set this up...?

Offline

#10 2015-09-28 14:44:20

Danny-E 33
Administrator
Registered: 2012-06-09
Post 911/1,021

Re: Pokémon: Raise Gold Version level cap to the highest possible—255/0xFF

It's alright. We were all new at one point.
Take a look at pokecrystal. INSTALL.md explains how to set up both the gameboy compiler and the crystal project, based on your OS.
Setting it up is the hardest part. Once you get past that first hurdle, making fast, big changes to the game becomes 100x easier than through hex editing.
Also, hop in our irc to talk in real-time if you need to ask us a question about getting started.


Red Hack: Pokémon Prototype

Total number of registered users: 7000+
Total number of active users: ~12

Offline

#11 2015-09-28 14:53:39

wolfboyft
Member
Registered: 2015-09-26
Post 10/15

Re: Pokémon: Raise Gold Version level cap to the highest possible—255/0xFF

Danny-E 33 wrote:

It's alright. We were all new at one point.
Take a look at pokecrystal. INSTALL.md explains how to set up both the gameboy compiler and the crystal project, based on your OS.
Setting it up is the hardest part. Once you get past that first hurdle, making fast, big changes to the game becomes 100x easier than through hex editing.
Also, hop in our irc to talk in real-time if you need to ask us a question about getting started.

Aye, I thank thee kindly! I'll see what I can do...

Offline

#12 2015-09-28 15:10:20

wolfboyft
Member
Registered: 2015-09-26
Post 11/15

Re: Pokémon: Raise Gold Version level cap to the highest possible—255/0xFF

To build pokecrystal.gbc:

make

Err... does this mean that I can't use all the progress I made on my hack's previous version? *Gulp.*

Still dunno much 'bout it.

EDIT: I accidentally copied from the OS X section, but it seems to be the same. I'm on Windows.

Last edited by wolfboyft (2015-09-28 15:11:30)

Offline

  • Index
  • → Help/Question
  • → Pokémon: Raise Gold Version level cap to the highest possible—255/0xFF

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB