You are not logged in.
Recently I've been having a very strange issue with cygwin. Out of nowhere, it seems like building the project using "make" is trying to delete the backsprites of Latios and Latias after converting them, but the other images seem to be fine so far. Everything else appears to be behaving normally, but these two images keep trying to delete themselves.
It started after I updated them from the placeholders I was using originally. I've also tried copying another backsprite that doesn't delete itself, renaming it to match latios/latias, opening it in paint, pasting in the new backsprite, and saving. It still wants to delete it after it converts for some reason.
I get this in the console when it happens:
Mateo@Mateo-PC ~/redplusplus $ make rgbasm -h -o red/audio.o red/audio.asm rgbasm -h -o red/main.o red/main.asm rgbasm -h -o red/text.o red/text.asm rgbasm -h -o red/wram.o red/wram.asm rgblink -n pokered.sym -o pokered.gbc red/audio.o red/main.o red/text.o red/wram.o rgbfix -jsv -k 01 -l 0x33 -m 0x13 -p 0 -r 03 -t "POKEMON RED" pokered.gbc rgbasm -h -o blue/audio.o blue/audio.asm rgbasm -h -o blue/main.o blue/main.asm rgbasm -h -o blue/text.o blue/text.asm rgbasm -h -o blue/wram.o blue/wram.asm rgblink -n pokeblue.sym -o pokeblue.gbc blue/audio.o blue/main.o blue/text.o blue/wram.o rgbfix -jsv -k 01 -l 0x33 -m 0x13 -p 0 -r 03 -t "POKEMON BLUE" pokeblue.gbc rm pic/monback/latios.png pic/monback/latias.png
Here is a link to the project's makefile, in case something weird has come up but I hadn't touched it when the issue started:
https://github.com/TheFakeMateo/RedPlus … r/Makefile
Make will do this for files it deems intermediate. This usually happens to 2bpp. png is new to me. Try removing the '.png: ;' rule and see if it changes anything.
Failing that, the queues are probably to blame. Compare with pokecrystal's makefile.
It has happened to me with pngs too. Usually it was because the capitalization was inconsistent. For example, your asm file might INCLUDE "pic/monback/latios.2bpp" but the png in that directory might be named "Latios.png" and consequently the 2bpp is named "Latios.2bpp" but rgbds still includes "Latios.2bpp" despite being told to look for "latios.2bpp" and then Make thinks Latios.png was an unimportant intermediate file.
I would say this is more rgbds' fault than Make's fault.
I think I see the issue. Somehow the extension is showing as .PNG instead of .png on those two backsprites somehow. I'll see if getting them properly lowercase fixes it. Thanks Danny.
EDIT: Ok, this is hella strange. On Github, it shows their extension in all caps. On my computer, it shows it in lowercase when I tell it to stop hiding file extensions. I just did "make clean" and "make" and this time the images stuck around like they were supposed to do, without any changes to the makefile. Really have no idea what the problem was/is, but for now I guess I'm going to just be careful and hope for the best, since I shouldn't be changing their backsprites anymore at this point and since it built properly after being cleaned.
Last edited by Mateo (2015-09-18 19:32:33)
It's actually mingw's fault--Windows is not case-sensitive, so neither is mingw.
rgbds could have redundant case checks, and is probably the simplest solution, but this type of thing is usually left up to the os for a reason. From that perspective, it's our fault for mixing cygwin and mingw.
This might be a reason to avoid camelcase in paths (eg data/baseStats/) besides personal preference.