Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-03 18:17:20

~Red
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 80/276

Should I give up ROM hacking?

Lately, I've been too busy with my game dev stuff I haven't even touched Wisteria. This is half the reason I quit. Other half is I'm sick of how pokemon hacking has become.

So I want a vote, who wants me to stay?

(And, I don't want posts saying "it's your choice")

Offline

#2 2011-02-03 21:02:09

geomaod
New member
From: hull
Registered: 2010-11-22
Post 3/9

Re: Should I give up ROM hacking?

if you feel it is more of a obligation to do it then stop....


Take the daemons from my mind and throw them upon the walls of tragedy
let the blood burn the words created by the forgiven ones
because as i lay in these bonds i know that i will never see...
for they have blinded me.

Offline

#3 2011-02-03 21:17:00

Tauwasser
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 101/452

Re: Should I give up ROM hacking?

If you have to start a vote on it, you have already decided. Don't even do a hobby for somebody else's sake but your own!

cYa,

Tauwasser

Offline

#4 2011-02-04 04:59:53

Cartmic
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 40/156

Re: Should I give up ROM hacking?

~Red wrote:

Lately, I've been too busy with my game dev stuff I haven't even touched Wisteria. This is half the reason I quit. Other half is I'm sick of how pokemon hacking has become.

So I want a vote, who wants me to stay?

(And, I don't want posts saying "it's your choice")

Correct me if I've got the wrong end of the stick, but I believe I know what you are going through, as I went through similar things in the past, I've lost count the amount of times I've said I was leaving ROM hacking through my on and off 8 years of it.

You enjoy ROM Hacking, but you see hacks like Brown and Wood and feel inadiquate as you can't get your head round the skills required to create such hacks? The important thing to do when you feel like that is take what you have and improvise the best you can, there's been some quite creative efforts out there, for example I think Iron Nidow used one of the already implemented Red lift systems and adapted it for a Magnet Train. Stick at it eventually you'll get your head round the stuff. No one's competing here, each hack has it's own merits and charms, from the simple Kanto re-envisions to the full blowen new lands, and I think that's one big crux that messes the community up, everyone's trying out do each other. We're not big corporate buisnesses here, we are hobbyists doing what we enjoy.

Last edited by Cartmic (2011-02-04 05:02:08)

Offline

#5 2011-02-04 16:55:10

Miksy91
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 266/2,339

Re: Should I give up ROM hacking?

Cartmic has a good point there.
Your hack doesn't have to be perfect, do what you can and when you improve, you can start with more difficult things.

Offline

#6 2011-02-04 17:09:27

~Red
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 81/276

Re: Should I give up ROM hacking?

Cartmic wrote:

Correct me if I've got the wrong end of the stick, but I believe I know what you are going through, as I went through similar things in the past, I've lost count the amount of times I've said I was leaving ROM hacking through my on and off 8 years of it.

You enjoy ROM Hacking, but you see hacks like Brown and Wood and feel inadiquate as you can't get your head round the skills required to create such hacks? The important thing to do when you feel like that is take what you have and improvise the best you can, there's been some quite creative efforts out there, for example I think Iron Nidow used one of the already implemented Red lift systems and adapted it for a Magnet Train. Stick at it eventually you'll get your head round the stuff. No one's competing here, each hack has it's own merits and charms, from the simple Kanto re-envisions to the full blowen new lands, and I think that's one big crux that messes the community up, everyone's trying out do each other. We're not big corporate buisnesses here, we are hobbyists doing what we enjoy.

Nailed it. But I just DON'T understand R/B/Y connection data. No matter how I look at it.

Offline

#7 2011-02-04 21:42:26

koolboyman
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 19/203

Re: Should I give up ROM hacking?

~Red wrote:
Cartmic wrote:

Correct me if I've got the wrong end of the stick, but I believe I know what you are going through, as I went through similar things in the past, I've lost count the amount of times I've said I was leaving ROM hacking through my on and off 8 years of it.

You enjoy ROM Hacking, but you see hacks like Brown and Wood and feel inadiquate as you can't get your head round the skills required to create such hacks? The important thing to do when you feel like that is take what you have and improvise the best you can, there's been some quite creative efforts out there, for example I think Iron Nidow used one of the already implemented Red lift systems and adapted it for a Magnet Train. Stick at it eventually you'll get your head round the stuff. No one's competing here, each hack has it's own merits and charms, from the simple Kanto re-envisions to the full blowen new lands, and I think that's one big crux that messes the community up, everyone's trying out do each other. We're not big corporate buisnesses here, we are hobbyists doing what we enjoy.

Nailed it. But I just DON'T understand R/B/Y connection data. No matter how I look at it.

If you play Brown and Prism and pay attention, you'll see that I didn't understand the connection data either.  I just use route gates instead.  If you cant figure something out, just figure out a way around it.

Offline

#8 2011-02-05 09:17:47

~Red
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 82/276

Re: Should I give up ROM hacking?

koolboyman wrote:

If you play Brown and Prism and pay attention, you'll see that I didn't understand the connection data either.  I just use route gates instead.  If you cant figure something out, just figure out a way around it.


Not enough route gates or warps in the maps.

Offline

#9 2011-02-05 09:41:38

Cartmic
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 41/156

Re: Should I give up ROM hacking?

~Red wrote:

Not enough route gates or warps in the maps.

Use the 29 or so free map spaces to add more route gates, or repoint the object data of an exsisting map and create more warps.

Offline

#10 2011-02-05 09:57:03

Tauwasser
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 103/452

Re: Should I give up ROM hacking?

If you lack maps in the table, just resize some other map to fit your needs and keep adding warps to it and so on. I strongly suggest though that learning about map connections is possible and a lot easier than resizing and reassembling some maps into a big map.

cYa,

Tauwasser

Offline

#11 2011-02-05 10:43:42

Miksy91
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 269/2,339

Re: Should I give up ROM hacking?

Yeah, just as Cartmic pointed out, you can repoint the map headers of the freeze maps and that way, make them route gates or something :)

Check my yellow hack thread how to do this, Sawakita posted info about it there.

Last edited by Miksy91 (2011-02-05 10:44:14)

Offline

#12 2011-02-10 18:11:58

~Red
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 83/276

Re: Should I give up ROM hacking?

I just cannot get a grasp of it. I'm too used to programming in words and not numbers.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB