Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-06 00:57:11

emaj30
Member
From: Indigo Plateau
Registered: 2012-12-29
Post 107/463
Website

to all members,i need your opinion/support for our admins...

today sir mateo and sir cartmic was taken down as an administrator,though they told sir iimarckus to do so voluntarily and i dont have the right to meddle with it.
but my concern is to bring them both back as admins,i'm against their will to step down and there's nothing wrong to ask you members to have your support and maybe some opinion.

what can you say about this?


p.s.
please do post relevantly as iimarckus might delete your post if goes too off from the topic.

Last edited by emaj30 (2013-01-06 01:09:37)

Offline

#2 2013-01-06 01:07:42

Zapdos
Member
From: Unknown Dungeon
Registered: 2012-07-10
Post 101/114

Re: to all members,i need your opinion/support for our admins...

Man, i was gonna make a thread for this, but you beat me to it. I support you, because the site will run smoother with more than one admin, and it just looks weird with Mateo, Member ._.


Looks like hes been....
(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
Disarmed!!!
YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

Offline

#3 2013-01-06 01:12:26

emaj30
Member
From: Indigo Plateau
Registered: 2012-12-29
Post 108/463
Website

Re: to all members,i need your opinion/support for our admins...

yes,sorry for that,hahaha!and yes,it's really odd seeing them only as a member.

Offline

#4 2013-01-06 06:42:55

587/703

Re: to all members,i need your opinion/support for our admins...

emaj30 wrote:

today sir mateo and sir cartmic was taken down as an administrator,though they told sir iimarckus to do so voluntarily and i dont have the right to meddle with it.
but my concern is to bring them both back as admins,i'm against their will to step down and there's nothing wrong to ask you members to have your support and maybe some opinion.

I was blindsided, and did not see it coming. I think they made a mistake, but it’s their choice.

By complete coincidence, I already had added Sanqui as an administrator shortly before they resigned. I may add one or two more, but it will require some careful thought on my part.

emaj30 wrote:

please do post relevantly as iimarckus might delete your post if goes too off from the topic.

I do this (due to popular demand, actually) but only rarely and only in cases where the posts are clearly unproductive. I have only deleted multiple posts two or three times in the last month.

#5 2013-01-06 07:04:13

Mateo
Member
From: The Sims 4
Registered: 2009-11-25
Post 2,147/3,578

Re: to all members,i need your opinion/support for our admins...

I was actually just about to make a thread addressing this as well, so I'll try to answer this here.

While I had honestly been considering stepping down for a little while now, my plan had never been to do it suddenly and without coming to IIMarckus first. I was angry earlier, I acted irrationally, and basically thought "Hell, while I'm at it, I may as well just be done with being an admin." I think in my angered state, everyone who hangs out on the IRC channel temporarily became one entity (as evidenced by the fact that I seemlessly shifted from talking about comet to talking about kanzure, then implied that either of them had the power to change the URL of IIMarckus's website.) And that is nonsense (although I didn't make up the reasons that I dislike kanzure as a person and have no use for his disassembly.)

Basically, the reason I had been considering stepping down was because it was seeming more and more apparent that IIMarckus and I had very different ideas when it came to administrating the forum. I think that is referenced by the "Forum Cleanup" thread, and from other messages between admins. I figured that instead of butting heads on issues and possibly coming to an argument, it was easier for me to step down and let IIMarckus run the forum the way he sees fit. After all, he is the one who is hosting it for us. My original plan had been to bring this to IIMarckus in private and discuss it before I stepped down. But as IIMarckus accurately stated in the other thread, I overreacted. An argument broke out on the forum anyway, and in the heat of the moment I stepped down in a way that made it seem as if the only catalyst had been my disagreement with comet, when it was actually an on-going, but much less serious or heated reasoning.

That being said, since I had already been thinking about this for a while now (although I hadn't yet mentioned it), I will not be asking for my administrative position to be returned. I will however ask that you all forgive me for over-reacting, and making a fool of myself. And IIMarckus, I want to apologize especially for not discussing this with you first as I had planned on.

Offline

#6 2013-01-06 07:53:56

Zapdos
Member
From: Unknown Dungeon
Registered: 2012-07-10
Post 104/114

Re: to all members,i need your opinion/support for our admins...

Well Mateo, you were my favourite admin (sorry cartmic and IIMarckus) :p


Looks like hes been....
(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
Disarmed!!!
YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

Offline

#7 2013-01-06 09:36:42

emaj30
Member
From: Indigo Plateau
Registered: 2012-12-29
Post 115/463
Website

Re: to all members,i need your opinion/support for our admins...

well,that's the way it is,i think all we can do is to respect mateo's decsion,after all it's voluntarily done,uhm,but what about cartmic?

Offline

#8 2013-01-06 19:51:43

Sanqui
Administrator
From: Prague, Czech Republic
Registered: 2011-07-18
Post 19/32
Website

Re: to all members,i need your opinion/support for our admins...

Hi, I'm Sanqui (also spelled Sanky).  I think it might be appropriate to introduce myself, so that the status I gained seemingly out of the blue seems less odd.

I like to think I'm a pretty calm person.  It doesn't mean much, because I generally only do work on the backend, but I'm an admin over at the TCRF wiki and the Telefang community sites.  Please continue treating me like a regular member!

I hang out in the IRC channel.  For me, chat with instant feedback has mostly replaced the need for forums, so I don't post much; it's easier to just dump your thoughts into a channel where you can get instant feedback than to post a thread.  I encourage anybody who went there in the past and didn't like the general atmosphere to try visiting again—for many types of problems (in hacking) or discussions, it's a more fit medium.

Besides that, I do work on the disassemblies.  For one, it's true that I do it because I'm curious about the game's internals.  But simply doing that is a pretty pointless goal.  We're not quite there yet, but personally, I think the disassembly will be a valuable tool for the creation of new hacks.  Have a look at the Sonic community—they've had disassemblies since 2005 and hacks without them are practically nonexistent.  Over at SMWCentral, they're  working on a Super Mario World community disassembly to make things easier.
I think the concept of a disassembly was introduced the wrong way here.  While I don't want to sound pretentious, I have a few things in mind to improve its appeal and show that both small and large-scale changes are made easier (and more elegant) with the disassembly.  Please don't give up on the idea just yet!  It might take a while, but we'll get to the point where it'll be awesome.

Last edited by Sanqui (2013-01-06 20:05:51)

Offline

#9 2013-01-06 20:20:26

Zapdos
Member
From: Unknown Dungeon
Registered: 2012-07-10
Post 105/114

Re: to all members,i need your opinion/support for our admins...

Nice to have you as admin on these forums :D


Looks like hes been....
(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
Disarmed!!!
YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

Offline

#10 2013-01-06 21:05:49

Cartmic
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 145/156

Re: to all members,i need your opinion/support for our admins...

Sanqui wrote:

Hi, I'm Sanqui (also spelled Sanky).  I think it might be appropriate to introduce myself, so that the status I gained seemingly out of the blue seems less odd.

I like to think I'm a pretty calm person.  It doesn't mean much, because I generally only do work on the backend, but I'm an admin over at the TCRF wiki and the Telefang community sites.  Please continue treating me like a regular member!

I hang out in the IRC channel.  For me, chat with instant feedback has mostly replaced the need for forums, so I don't post much; it's easier to just dump your thoughts into a channel where you can get instant feedback than to post a thread.  I encourage anybody who went there in the past and didn't like the general atmosphere to try visiting again—for many types of problems (in hacking) or discussions, it's a more fit medium.

Besides that, I do work on the disassemblies.  For one, it's true that I do it because I'm curious about the game's internals.  But simply doing that is a pretty pointless goal.  We're not quite there yet, but personally, I think the disassembly will be a valuable tool for the creation of new hacks.  Have a look at the Sonic community—they've had disassemblies since 2005 and hacks without them are practically nonexistent.  Over at SMWCentral, they're  working on a Super Mario World community disassembly to make things easier.
I think the concept of a disassembly was introduced the wrong way here.  While I don't want to sound pretentious, I have a few things in mind to improve its appeal and show that both small and large-scale changes are made easier (and more elegant) with the disassembly.  Please don't give up on the idea just yet!  It might take a while, but we'll get to the point where it'll be awesome.

Hi, nice to meet you. I think Mateo has summed up my thoughts also. We have been discussing this for a while and felt it was a good time to leave, admittedly I'm a bit embarrassed how I handled it too and should have talked with IIMarckus first. I am in no way against the disassembly I even ported a version of Pokemon Violet over to it in it's earlier stages two years ago but I think a reason I departed from it was something quite minuscule and silly really, if I remember correctly I had gotten myself confused with working out how much blank space I needed to include from the binary after I had modified or included new code, I know this will not be an issue at the point of the dissasembly being complete but I didn't want the hassle of calculating the size of my new script at before each compilation and didn't want to wait till it's completion to carry on. Any way I still check up on the red dissasembly from time to time and it's great to see it coming along.

Last edited by Cartmic (2013-01-06 21:07:32)

Offline

#11 2013-01-06 22:07:50

emaj30
Member
From: Indigo Plateau
Registered: 2012-12-29
Post 121/463
Website

Re: to all members,i need your opinion/support for our admins...

well,welcome sir sanqui!nice to have you as our new admin:-)
anyway,maybe there's no reason to retain this thread since both sir cartmic and sir mateo came up with their final decisions and as well as sir sanqui's promotion,this thread might as well be deleted for good.so that's it but there's one thing that comes to mind,i just want to hear sir comet's side to have a fair disclosure on this thread,anyone?i think things have cooled down here.

Last edited by emaj30 (2013-01-06 22:10:43)

Offline

#12 2013-01-06 22:17:27

theoblivinator
Member
From: Iowa
Registered: 2012-08-20
Post 68/98

Re: to all members,i need your opinion/support for our admins...

I'm still actually confused as to what happened. It might not be appropriate but could someone explain to situation to me?

Was there an argument between using disassemblies for hacking is better than hex editing or vise versa?

Offline

#13 2013-01-06 22:19:28

Munchulax
Member
From: Somewhere in Johto
Registered: 2011-08-10
Post 225/410

Re: to all members,i need your opinion/support for our admins...

Sanqui wrote:

I think the concept of a disassembly was introduced the wrong way here.  While I don't want to sound pretentious, I have a few things in mind to improve its appeal and show that both small and large-scale changes are made easier (and more elegant) with the disassembly.  Please don't give up on the idea just yet!  It might take a while, but we'll get to the point where it'll be awesome.

Quite frankly, I don't think anyone should really have a reason to dislike the disassembly or the people running it. The people that work on the disassembly are not paid to do so; they do it as a hobby, it's not something they have to do. Someone might prefer hacking the actual ROM instead of working with a disassembly, but neither way is wrong. You can do the same thing to a ROM that you can do with a disassembly; it's just the way that you approach them that is different.  Therefore there is no reason to not like either way of modifying a game.

jwibagi wrote:

But, for personal reasons like comfort and sheer enjoyment, I want to fiddle around with Gold's scripting engine, learn a bit more about the G/S ROM, and gather some basic ASM knowledge before I give a go at disassembling anything.

I feel the same way jwibagi feels. I'm always open to new options, but for now, just like jwibagi, I want to look through the G/S/C ROM a little more and learn more things before I trying working with any disassembly.

emaj30 wrote:

anyway,maybe there's no reason to retain this thread since both sir cartmic and sir mateo came up with their final decisions and as well as sir sanqui's promotion,this thread might as well be deleted for good.

I don't think this thread should be deleted, in my opinion.  Some members of this forum probably haven't even read it yet at all. Besides, it's the thread that our new admin introduced him/herself in, so it should be left alone.


“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” ― Oscar Wilde

Offline

#14 2013-01-06 22:21:07

emaj30
Member
From: Indigo Plateau
Registered: 2012-12-29
Post 123/463
Website

Re: to all members,i need your opinion/support for our admins...

theoblivinator wrote:

I'm still actually confused as to what happened. It might not be appropriate but could someone explain to situation to me?

Was there an argument between using disassemblies for hacking is better than hex editing or vise versa?

you can maybe go to miksy's thread "idea of rombase" found on idea discussion area.there you find the whole story.

Offline

#15 2013-01-06 22:44:08

theoblivinator
Member
From: Iowa
Registered: 2012-08-20
Post 69/98

Re: to all members,i need your opinion/support for our admins...

Yeah I read that thread, but I guess I thought there was more than the one thread. Sure Comet acted like a douche in there but I guess I thought there was more to it. Basically it just boiled down to people using hex editors for hacking or disassemblies for hacking.

Meh, world keeps spinning.

Offline

#16 2013-01-06 22:58:10

emaj30
Member
From: Indigo Plateau
Registered: 2012-12-29
Post 125/463
Website

Re: to all members,i need your opinion/support for our admins...

theoblivinator wrote:

Yeah I read that thread, but I guess I thought there was more than the one thread. Sure Comet acted like a douche in there but I guess I thought there was more to it. Basically it just boiled down to people using hex editors for hacking or disassemblies for hacking.

Meh, world keeps spinning.

i think that's only one i guess?

Offline

#17 2013-01-07 07:32:31

Miksy91
Member
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 1,432/2,339

Re: to all members,i need your opinion/support for our admins...

Munchulax wrote:
Sanqui wrote:

I think the concept of a disassembly was introduced the wrong way here.  While I don't want to sound pretentious, I have a few things in mind to improve its appeal and show that both small and large-scale changes are made easier (and more elegant) with the disassembly.  Please don't give up on the idea just yet!  It might take a while, but we'll get to the point where it'll be awesome.

Quite frankly, I don't think anyone should really have a reason to dislike the disassembly or the people running it. The people that work on the disassembly are not paid to do so; they do it as a hobby, it's not something they have to do. Someone might prefer hacking the actual ROM instead of working with a disassembly, but neither way is wrong. You can do the same thing to a ROM that you can do with a disassembly; it's just the way that you approach them that is different.  Therefore there is no reason to not like either way of modifying a game.

As far as I understand, you can build the whole game with disassembly and compile it into a rom file. So instead of messing around with straight pointers for instance, you can do stuff with "dynamic pointers" instead (which GBA "hackers" tend to use all the time). So actually, you can make a hack with disassembly as well.

I'm not sure whether I find disassembly that useful myself but may look into compiling it into rom files later on.

Offline

#18 2013-01-07 11:56:15

emaj30
Member
From: Indigo Plateau
Registered: 2012-12-29
Post 128/463
Website

Re: to all members,i need your opinion/support for our admins...

i do believe there's no thread tackling gsc disassemblies here,i would like to request someone make some little tutorial regarding that?it might help anyone here,combining some knowledge 'bout asm and disassembly would be very interesting!but i guess another thread would be more appropriate regarding that?

Last edited by emaj30 (2013-01-07 11:58:55)

Offline

#19 2013-01-07 13:11:09

Sawakita
Administrator
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 355/365

Re: to all members,i need your opinion/support for our admins...

@Sanqui
Well said.

I'm not aware of the reasons that led Mateo and Cartmic to step down, so I can't express opinions on that; although, it would be interesting to hear about them, if they'd like to talk about them too, of course. In the meantime I was made admin to cover the shortage (hopefully until they get back).

Miksy91 wrote:

As far as I understand, you can build the whole game with disassembly and compile it into a rom file. So instead of messing around with straight pointers for instance, you can do stuff with "dynamic pointers" instead (which GBA "hackers" tend to use all the time). So actually, you can make a hack with disassembly as well.

Well, pokered/pokecrystal disassemblies don't lead to dynamic pointers like GBA games. In fact, although I know barely anything about GBA system, I think that it allows runtime dynamic memory allocation (something like what you get with C's malloc/free functions, which are likely to be implemented indeed in GBA ROMs, since they're probably written in C/C++).
Disassemblies' have static pointers, because they're computed at "compile time" (well, actually "assemble/link time", but still). The fact is that during development you don't know what the pointers' value will be, because you use labels instead. Some GBA pointers can instead vary in different "run-times".

I have no proof about GBA, but I'm pretty sure it's more or less how it works.

Offline

#20 2013-01-07 22:27:08

emaj30
Member
From: Indigo Plateau
Registered: 2012-12-29
Post 129/463
Website

Re: to all members,i need your opinion/support for our admins...

@all
i have a question,maybe this would be an off-topic and a noobish one again but here we go.uhm,from the word itself,would disassembly simply mean disassembling all the internal parts of the rom into several small pieces of readable and recognizable data?anyone?

Offline

#21 2013-01-07 23:06:13

comet
Member
Registered: 2012-04-09
Post 93/679

Re: to all members,i need your opinion/support for our admins...

Yeah. The name's a little misleading if you're used to thinking of assembly like code. The idea is to be able to change stuff around easily and assemble it back into a playable rom.

Offline

#22 2013-01-07 23:59:38

Mateo
Member
From: The Sims 4
Registered: 2009-11-25
Post 2,155/3,578

Re: to all members,i need your opinion/support for our admins...

Sawakita wrote:

I'm not aware of the reasons that led Mateo and Cartmic to step down, so I can't express opinions on that; although, it would be interesting to hear about them, if they'd like to talk about them too, of course. In the meantime I was made admin to cover the shortage (hopefully until they get back).

Well, we already somewhat mentioned this earlier. I'll go ahead and quote the posts though, since they might have gotten lost.

Mateo wrote:

I was actually just about to make a thread addressing this as well, so I'll try to answer this here.

While I had honestly been considering stepping down for a little while now, my plan had never been to do it suddenly and without coming to IIMarckus first. I was angry earlier, I acted irrationally, and basically thought "Hell, while I'm at it, I may as well just be done with being an admin." I think in my angered state, everyone who hangs out on the IRC channel temporarily became one entity (as evidenced by the fact that I seemlessly shifted from talking about comet to talking about kanzure, then implied that either of them had the power to change the URL of IIMarckus's website.) And that is nonsense (although I didn't make up the reasons that I dislike kanzure as a person and have no use for his disassembly.)

Basically, the reason I had been considering stepping down was because it was seeming more and more apparent that IIMarckus and I had very different ideas when it came to administrating the forum. I think that is referenced by the "Forum Cleanup" thread, and from other messages between admins. I figured that instead of butting heads on issues and possibly coming to an argument, it was easier for me to step down and let IIMarckus run the forum the way he sees fit. After all, he is the one who is hosting it for us. My original plan had been to bring this to IIMarckus in private and discuss it before I stepped down. But as IIMarckus accurately stated in the other thread, I overreacted. An argument broke out on the forum anyway, and in the heat of the moment I stepped down in a way that made it seem as if the only catalyst had been my disagreement with comet, when it was actually an on-going, but much less serious or heated reasoning.

That being said, since I had already been thinking about this for a while now (although I hadn't yet mentioned it), I will not be asking for my administrative position to be returned. I will however ask that you all forgive me for over-reacting, and making a fool of myself. And IIMarckus, I want to apologize especially for not discussing this with you first as I had planned on.

Cartmic wrote:

Hi, nice to meet you. I think Mateo has summed up my thoughts also. We have been discussing this for a while and felt it was a good time to leave, admittedly I'm a bit embarrassed how I handled it too and should have talked with IIMarckus first. I am in no way against the disassembly I even ported a version of Pokemon Violet over to it in it's earlier stages two years ago but I think a reason I departed from it was something quite minuscule and silly really, if I remember correctly I had gotten myself confused with working out how much blank space I needed to include from the binary after I had modified or included new code, I know this will not be an issue at the point of the dissasembly being complete but I didn't want the hassle of calculating the size of my new script at before each compilation and didn't want to wait till it's completion to carry on. Any way I still check up on the red dissasembly from time to time and it's great to see it coming along.

I think that answered what you meant, anyway.

Offline

#23 2013-01-08 02:21:15

emaj30
Member
From: Indigo Plateau
Registered: 2012-12-29
Post 131/463
Website

Re: to all members,i need your opinion/support for our admins...

@comet
oh,good to have your presence here sir,lately i just asked for your side regarding what happened,but you might forget about that either,since things just cooled down here and i think we're all pretty fine here on this community now as well,anyway,thanks for the info.i just thought it really disassembles the whole rom though!like reverse engineering?

Last edited by emaj30 (2013-01-08 02:28:39)

Offline

#24 2013-01-08 06:43:44

comet
Member
Registered: 2012-04-09
Post 94/679

Re: to all members,i need your opinion/support for our admins...

They're the same thing, aren't they? ;)

Offline

#25 2013-01-08 15:10:44

emaj30
Member
From: Indigo Plateau
Registered: 2012-12-29
Post 134/463
Website

Re: to all members,i need your opinion/support for our admins...

comet wrote:

They're the same thing, aren't they? ;)

yes,sort of...but it really confused me before,and never thought disassembly will be dealing with codes too,but i just found that its a real computing term.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB